Callaway Big Bertha 1.5 Mini driver

ADB

Well, after being so inconsistent with my driver I finally decided to go another route. I can go weeks at a time where I can hit the driver fairly well but than go weeks where I cant and fall back to hitting my Callaway XR 3 wood off the tee. I can hit the fairway wood straight down the middle at around 225 yards max. I am giving up distance but at leat can play it. After much contemplation and having it the mini driver last year I decided to order the Big Bertha mini 1.5 with 14 degree loft and the stiff kurokage shaft. I had hit the 12 degree on the LM but at this time cannot find one in any store and even online the 12 degree is nearly impossible to find with a stiff shaft. I figure worst case I drop the 14 down to 13 degrees.

My experience on the launch monitor last year with the 12 degree was an average distance of around 245...so I figure at 13 its still gotta be around 240. Better to hit it 240 and be in the fairway than hit it 260 with a driver and be in the woods.

So, what experience has anyone had with this club. I read one great professional review where they hit the mini driver with 14 degree in stiff vs an XR deep 14 degree also in stiff. They found the mini an average 13 yards longer with the same loft. Id imagine comparing the driver set at 13 vs my 15 degree XR, I might see 18-20. I could live with that.

Well, after being so inconsistent with my driver I finally decided to go another route. I can go weeks at a time where I can hit the driver fairly well but than go weeks where I cant and fall back to hitting my Callaway XR 3 wood off the tee. I can hit the fairway wood straight down the middle at around 225 yards max. I am giving up distance but at leat can play it. After much contemplation and having it the mini driver last year I decided to order the Big Bertha mini 1.5 with 14 degree loft and the stiff kurokage shaft. I had hit the 12 degree on the LM but at this time cannot find one in any store and even online the 12 degree is nearly impossible to find with a stiff shaft. I figure worst case I drop the 14 down to 13 degrees.

My experience on the launch monitor last year with the 12 degree was an average distance of around 245...so I figure at 13 its still gotta be around 240. Better to hit it 240 and be in the fairway than hit it 260 with a driver and be in the woods.

So, what experience has anyone had with this club. I read one great professional review where they hit the mini driver with 14 degree in stiff vs an XR deep 14 degree also in stiff. They found the mini an average 13 yards longer with the same loft. Id imagine comparing the driver set at 13 vs my 15 degree XR, I might see 18-20. I could live with that.

I used a Mini 1.5 exclusively as my driver for almost 4 months. I hit more FIR, I was longer off the tee (250-ish) and I could get rid of my 3w, because I also hit it off the turf.

I love it - and I bought another one, for back up.

Are you using the 12 or 14 degree mini?

I used a Mini 1.5 exclusively as my driver for almost 4 months. I hit more FIR, I was longer off the tee (250-ish) and I could get rid of my 3w, because I also hit it off the turf.

12 or 14 degree?

It's the best in its category for sure. Spins less than the mini drivers from Taylor made

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

A great product for a certain group of golfers. I love mine, but I also love hitting driver so it is always a struggle for me trying to decide which one to hit. It is about 15 yards short of my driver. I like having both in the bag, so if my driver isn't working that day, I can switch over to the Mini.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

My 14 degree with Kurokage Stiff shaft arrived today, and I used it at Golf League tonight. All I can say is , oh my. I have always struggled with driver, but this mini driver is long and straight. I swear its like someone is piloting the ball when hit with the driver. Everything wants to go straight. My ocassional pulls found the fairway, not a single ball went right....almost everything was down the middle. Nice mid trajectory and love the distance. I had set it to 13 degree draw and saw my longest drive at 260 with others in the 240's. A couple of mishits still went around 220 and found the edge of the fairway. Is it shorter than my driver when I can hit the driver on the screws? Absolutely. Maybe 10-15 yards, However my driver is all over the place. I will stick to the mini for sure. I had debated wether the 14 degree at 13 was going to be okay or if I should have purchased a 12 degree. Given the trajectory, the 12 would have been a bit to flat. This club is outstanding.

Have one in transit as we speak, 14* Kuru R flex. Found one for $100 in almost new condition, headcover and tool.

My driver and I are in a dysfunctional relationship right now and I want something along the lines of a 3 wood that's geared more toward the tee. I also like the shorter shaft from a control standpoint. I have a titleist 906F 15.5* that I absolutely love off the deck. Good for about 195-205 depending on the lie . Off the tee though is a little dicey. So it's almost like I'll be gaming 2 three woods.

Are you using the 12 or 14 degree mini?

12 or 14 degree?

I purchased the 12* model. When I used it as driver, I used 11* . I use it at 13* as a 3w.

Have one in transit as we speak, 14* Kuru R flex. Found one for $100 in almost new condition, headcover and tool.

My driver and I are in a dysfunctional relationship right now and I want something along the lines of a 3 wood that's geared more toward the tee. I also like the shorter shaft from a control standpoint. I have a titleist 906F 15.5* that I absolutely love off the deck. Good for about 195-205 depending on the lie . Off the tee though is a little dicey. So it's almost like I'll be gaming 2 three woods.

Nice, I paid $129 for it with the HC and tool Like New, but you did even better. You wont be disappointed. Sounds Like you and I I both suffer from the love hate with the full size driver. Heck, If I can hit this thing on average at 245 yards and its in the fairway...I dont care if its shorter than the driver at its longest. I am in the fairway. For me thats the different between a round where I am braking 80 or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Thread Resurrection...

I got my club for 125$ new in the plastic with head cover and tool (14°). I fooled around with it and tried the draw setting before committing to just figure out how to hit it straight. Fats forward through about two weeks of no play to last night for a few shots into the net where everything felt wonderful. So I get out for the first time in ages it seems today and this club was on fire. It was hitting shots right where I needed them to go. I believe my furthest drive was 260+ with most settling in around 245. I found that it had a high tolerance for mistakes and went straight for much of the day. So much so that after 9 I put the 3+ and driver in the vehicle to avoid the temptation to do anything stupid. If I had a better short game, today would have been epic. I am highly tempted to go again tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

I put one in too play on Friday and Sunday here in AUS. Probably the most consistent 'driving" club I have ever had next to the X2 Hot 3W I have. I put the driver away about 3 weeks ago and was using the 3w off the Tee (Went 10/14 FIR the other week). Bought this as a test.

Distance wise was about the same as my driver and accuracy at least 50 to 75% better without a shadow of a doubt. 12* vs X2 Hot Pro 8* and Big Bertha 9.5*.

I am honestly wondering why I didn't do this sooner and am cursing I haven't. Leading into Summer down here I am glad I found it though as I will get to enjoy it and the baked fairways with run!

I think the shaft is a touch whippy and launching highish for me but a tip trim should fix it up until I can find the right shaft for it.

It has changed my outlook, most weekends I looked forward to playing but always had felt some angst because of the driver. Now I can't wait to play and know and feel confident in my game. Hopefully this can now start bringing my cap down!!

I dig the Mini. Right now I enjoy that I can play without needing a "driver swing" while I firm up my swing after some injuries, since I can tee it low and swing like it a fairway wood. Since that drastically reduces my ability to get under the ball and generate too much spin, my average drive (with the 12 degree model) is probably as long as any standard driver I've used in the past few years.

I am still loving my 12* Mini after 5 rounds with it. The only other driver that performs just as well is my 14* R15.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Hey, look! I got a shorter, higher lofted tee club and I hit it straighter. Who'd a thought?

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Spin rates are surprisingly high with this head

You don't by chance have any data to support do you? I've been looking at them and this comment kinda scared me.

Don't be scared. The club is awesome. I hit it off the tee and it's fine. I haven't hit it off the deck much at all. I have hybrids and long irons for that and I like them too.