2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Patrick Reed

Scooterboy59

There were rumors in late 80's and early 90's about tour players using beta blockers to "enhance" performance. One player that had a medical reason to use those meds was Nick Price, who subsequently went on an epic tear AFTER he stopped taking them because of his feeling that actually impaired his performance. Different meds and conditions react differently depending upon the individual. Citing this example because Price is widely respected both in media and among his peers. Caution should be used in making blanket statements based upon speculation and hearsay just because an individual's personality may or may not mesh with perception/portrayal.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say that, for someone without a legitimate medical condition, I can't picture ADHD medications (which are largely various amphetamines) doing anything except hindering the user/abuser. Having seen people who regularly abuse various amphetamines, I would judge the resulting changes in their behavior to be highly non-conducive to actually performing well when it comes to golf. I don't think someone who abuses some kind of amphetamine would be able to hold their hands steady enough to putt at a PGA tour level, from what I've seen.

Well, you feel unusually strongly about it. Got a mirror handy when asking those pointed questions of others?

I don't care one way or another, but since the PGA Tour sells a product based on certain values, one of which is integrity, I think the fans have a right to know if it is a facade.

This was the root of the Tiger Woods scandal. It wasn't that he had had, ahem, special hugs with every cocktail waitress from Orlando to Timbuktu, it was that it was utter hypocrisy compared to the family values brand sold by Nike and supported by the PGA Tour, even though both knew otherwise.

Taking ADHD medicine is part of a facade of family values?? Wow

You must be fun at parties.

I like those parties where you try to explain simple concepts to people who just don't get them or confuse one with another.

Fancy coming to a party, Friday at 8? Being a bottle. A large one, probably.

I'll pass. Thanks for the invite. I prefer to not spend time with inflated egos and pandering bores.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

• 2 months later...

The thing I take about Patrick Reed is the fact that, on paper, he shouldn't be as good as he is. He came from a humble upbringing where he honed his game on a driving range and had to work for everything that he has accomplished in the game nothing was ever given to him. Unfortunately a lot of the silver spooners in the college/pro world see someone like him and out of jealously try to pin anything on the guy because they feel he "doesnt belong at this level".

Reed caught a lot of flack from the entitled country clubbers of college golf who got upset when he arrived and shook up the neighborhood. He got dismissed from the Univ. of Georgia squad, according to the coach, in part because he was not a good personality mesh with the team.

Next, Reed enrolled at Augusta State University, and then helped Augusta to back-to-back NCAA men's championships in 2010 and 2011. Reed even had the audacity to beat former Georgia teammate Harris English 2-up in the 2011 matches.

Given Reed is a bit brash, and the country clubbers used this in part as an excuse to turn on him. This reminds me of the movie "The Greatest Game Ever Played," which recounts American caddie Francis Ouimet's upset win in the 1904 US Open. The country clubbers treated Ouimet shabbily when he attended the pre-match social events.

Also, Reed's rough handling came in part because he was a target of opportunity. The Tiger scandal has was over, the Dustin Johnson episodes had hit a lull, so sports reporters needed something to get indignant about.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I'm not a PR fan, however, if you admire players because they don't give a rip what you or anyone else think (the quality that Bubba tries too hard to portray), then he might be your guy.

Excels under pressure better than pretty much anyone in recent memory, a quality that can/will take him a long way. When all is said and done, I'd wager the guy will have amassed Furyk-like earnings.

I'm not a PR fan, however, if you admire players because they don't give a rip what you or anyone else think (the quality that Bubba tries too hard to portray), then he might be your guy.

Excels under pressure better than pretty much anyone in recent memory, a quality that can/will take him a long way. When all is said and done, I'd wager the guy will have amassed Furyk-like earnings.

He's self aware, which is all you can ask for, knows he can be the villain and embraces it.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Wow.....just wow! The GolfWRX store should start selling pitch forks. They would make a killing. Why must it always be this way? Are we really arguing over something that we have no idea of?

How in the F anyone can have a negative thing to say about Patrick Reed BLOWS my mind?????????...After THAT Ryder Cup performance???.....Just shows how many useless troll's there are out there!!.....LOL

He was caught cheating and stealing and was kicked off a D1 golf team despite his immense talent. Don't think it's irrational there are character concerns.

Greater yet he has never owned any of it.

Wow.....just wow! The GolfWRX store should start selling pitch forks. They would make a killing. Why must it always be this way? Are we really arguing over something that we have no idea of?

How in the F anyone can have a negative thing to say about Patrick Reed BLOWS my mind?????????...After THAT Ryder Cup performance???.....Just shows how many useless troll's there are out there!!.....LOL

He was caught cheating and stealing and was kicked off a D1 golf team despite his immense talent. Don't think it's irrational there are character concerns.

Yup. Some thing you just can't hide from.

Yup. Some thing you just can't hide from.

I like to watch golf. Spirited golf...balsy golf. Nobody on the American side has enough ice to take down Rory. Still, I think his game is a bit one sided for Major contention, at the moment.

Useless grudges against people I've never met I'll just leave for the judgmental angry mobs of the world. :dntknw:

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Reed has played his way out of some earlier issues.

Just have to wonder about a guy who disowns his own family.

Something seems not right there.

Depends on the family. His seems to have a strong touch of the crazy. I don't judge what happens behind closed doors.

My aunt lived up the street from the Reed family in Augusta and that can easily be verified. While I readily admit there are always two sides to every story, it was easy for me to see where the accusations of abuse are plausible.

Useless grudges against people I've never met I'll just leave for the judgmental angry mobs of the world. :dntknw:

Ehhh......not really a grudge....just speaking on how past actions are the best indicator of integrity. With golf being a sport where that is key it should be understandable that would be a turn off for many. Some fall into the hero worship trap and would pretty much excuse anything due to their idolization.

Ehhh......not really a grudge....just speaking on how past actions are the best indicator of integrity. With golf being a sport where that is key it should be understandable that would be a turn off for many. Some fall into the hero worship trap and would pretty much excuse anything due to their idolization.

So sure of that are you? That viewpoint, but perhaps not the viewer, seems a bit misguided, and exclusionary. What a terrible spot we would be in if individually our integrity was based on but a few actions of the past. Sounds an awful lot like a grudge to me

Your mileage may vary

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Just my 2 cents but I've yet to see PR act anything but like a professional since he came on Tour. And heck even his "top 5" comment while surprising at the moment it was said just shows what's brewing inside. And it showed at the Ryder Cup. If all of us were judged on our behavior of wreckless and foolish youth then how lame is that?

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

So sure of that are you? That viewpoint, but perhaps not the viewer, seems a bit misguided, and exclusionary. What a terrible spot we would be in if individually our integrity was based on but a few actions of the past. Sounds an awful lot like a grudge to me

Your mileage may vary

I just know from his history it would be smart if you are a competitor to make sure he is playing his ball and don't walk off and leave your Scotty with him in the clubhouse. That isn't a grudge, just common sense.

Depends on the family. His seems to have a strong touch of the crazy. I don't judge what happens behind closed doors.

My aunt lived up the street from the Reed family in Augusta and that can easily be verified. While I readily admit there are always two sides to every story, it was easy for me to see where the accusations of abuse are plausible.

I have no idea what his family life was with his parents.[Ax murderer's probably not] For me i'm a pretty forgiving fellow and to absolutely shun the people who raised me would be unthinkable. They say time heals all wounds, hopefully sooner than later for everyone involved.

Classic moment when he called himself a fa**ot after 3 putting lol!

TM '17 M1 440 9.5° Diamana Tensei White 70TX
TM '17 M1 15° Rombax P95x
TM '17 M1 18° Accra Tour Zx 4100
Callaway Apex '19 20° Hybrid HZRDUS Black 105x
Callaway RAZR X Forged 5-6, MB 7-PW KBS C-Taper 130 X
SM7 Jet Black 52F, TVD 56K, SM6 Jet Black 60K DG Black Onyx S400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S Flat Cat Tak Svelte

I have no idea what his family life was with his parents.[Ax murderer's probably not] For me i'm a pretty forgiving fellow and to absolutely shun the people who raised me would be unthinkable. They say time heals all wounds, hopefully sooner than later for everyone involved.

Sounds like you're fortunate enough to not have any truly crappy parents or family members.

Sounds like you're fortunate enough to not have any truly crappy parents or family members.

Our childhood was not perfect, dad was a high functioning alcoholic, he had quit drinking in his forty's. Being the oldest i remember more things than my younger siblings. There was never any physical or mental abuse, but having a alcoholic parent is no picnic. Mom was always there for us and still is. Dad had 30 plus years of sobriety before he passed and he more than made up for the bad years. Hopefully Patrick can forgive his parents before they pass. Once he gets older he may regret the decisions he made as a younger man.

I am very fortunate that my brother and sister and i have done well for ourselves. We get along great. My wife and child are healthy

and we are looking forward to a bright future.

Best wishes to u and your family.