One handed 8 foot gimme

when I play with cheaters daily it reaffirms that most golfers do cheat and I refuse to believe that it's anomalous that all WRX'ers are by the book. Perhaps that's my problem not yours. Can I have this opinion? Do you approve?

I believe most golfers don't play by all the rules. Not only do I approve, I agree. :)

In the other thread, I was under the impression that you believe that ALL golfers cheat. You seemed to be belittling those who attempt to play by the rules. If that wasn't your intention, my apologies.

I think a lot of people just don't know all the rules.. Red vs white vs yellow vs white with green top vs nature area etc.. I believe that every hazard for the weekend golfer should be played as a lateral hazard, as they already do, most likely.

If you're a good golfer, it's one thing, but the guy who's surely about to hit a 2nd and third shot OB, just drop as a lateral, please.

Also, these rules set forth by the USGA are really more aimed towards tournaments and professional golfers who do not encounter the same types of conditions that people on crappy muni's run into regularly. "Play it as it lies" for instance.. I'm all about that when you're not in the fairway, and I'll hit out of a divot as well, but when it's been raining and there's trenches in the bunkers from the night before, mud in the fairway, dead grass and dirt spots on the greens, etc.. aren't situations that guys on tour run into.. IMO, even though I do hit out of them, you shouldn't really even have to hit out of a divot as it should've been replaced, and there's not really anything you could do to avoid it.. and some of the hacks at the courses I play leave reaaaal deep divots.

All that being said, karma seems to find me on the golf course more than anywhere else in life. I've never hit a good shot when improving my lie, taking it out of a crappy sand trap, out of a divot, etc.. so I just don't do it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played a round yesterday with a guy that never 3 putted. Not because he was a good putter just because every 2nd putt was a gimme no matter how far away he was.

Ever see the guys that blow it 6+ feet past the hole and quickly walk up to it, one hand, backhand tap it back toward the hole as if it were a gim? They never went in but I believe he took the approach of "if I'm not really trying I shouldn't be penalized if I miss it." What's the point?!? If you want the gim pick it up! I'm thinking, Don't make us all wait while you stick handle this thing around the pin. Especially when you aren't counting them.

Any putt that was rimmed counted. Any OB tee shot somehow was the courses fault followed by a free reload. He finished with 78. I counted no less than 95. Funny thing was he made some nice shots. Just refused to have a poor score on any hole.

Not to mention when he missed his 15 footers he looked up to the sky in disbelief as if God had cursed him with bad luck even though it never really had a chance.

Because the breaches were so blatantly obvious, It became really awkward.

Admittedly I read through this thread quickly, so I may have missed the answer to my questions.

Exactly why did it become really awkward for you?

Why did it matter to you what the guy really shot?

Imagine standing on the green when a guy picks up his ball 8 feet away from the hole, looks at you and says, "par!"

This after going OB.

I awkwardly smiled and replied, "good hole"

As I said he was a decent player. Made some great shots. So I doubt he was unaware of his breaches.

Played a round yesterday with a guy that never 3 putted. Not because he was a good putter just because every 2nd putt was a gimme no matter how far away he was.

Ever see the guys that blow it 6+ feet past the hole and quickly walk up to it, one hand, backhand tap it back toward the hole as if it were a gim? They never went in but I believe he took the approach of "if I'm not really trying I shouldn't be penalized if I miss it." What's the point?!? If you want the gim pick it up! I'm thinking, Don't make us all wait while you stick handle this thing around the pin. Especially when you aren't counting them.

Any putt that was rimmed counted. Any OB tee shot somehow was the courses fault followed by a free reload. He finished with 78. I counted no less than 95. Funny thing was he made some nice shots. Just refused to have a poor score on any hole.

Not to mention when he missed his 15 footers he looked up to the sky in disbelief as if God had cursed him with bad luck even though it never really had a chance.

Admittedly I read through this thread quickly, so I may have missed the answer to my questions.

Imagine standing on the green when a guy picks up his ball 8 feet away from the hole, looks at you and says, "par!"

This after going OB.

As I said he was a decent player. Made some great shots. So I doubt he was unaware of his breaches.

Why was it an "awkward" smile as opposed to an "amused" smile? And what difference did his score make to you?

This after going OB.

Why was it an "awkward" smile as opposed to an "amused" smile? And what difference did his score make to you?

I'm starting to wonder if those who have a problem with my post are not the exact people I am describing in it. Hmm

This after going OB.

Did the guy post his score for handicap? If so then what actions were taken to dispute the score? Appears the only thing done was to post a topic on it here. Granted posting a 78 when shooting a 95 only hurts the golfer (or partner in a team event) but to not do the peer review and keep things honest is as much an issue as the guy posting the score.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I've not walked back to the tee when not finding a ball.

If I lose a ball and haven't hit a provisional, I put an 'X' on the scorecard. Fortunately, that situation doesn't happen very often.

If I was on the cusp of a personal-best round, I most certainly would ride back. If someone was on the tee, I would apologize profusely. This situation has not arisen for me.

Lot's of "if's" in this post. :)

Good chance that if you lost that ball you wouldn't be hitting your personal best round any longer ;)

This after going OB.

I'm starting to wonder if those who have a problem with my post are not the exact people I am describing in it. Hmm

I don't have a problem with your post. I was genuinely curious why it mattered to you. Nothing more nothing less.

If I'm practicing, I'm not keeping score, and I don't carry a card. I may pick up tap-ins or I may even just pick up. I may also request to hit a second ball if I'm comfortable with my partner.

Did the guy need you to keep his score or something? Or was he just announcing his scores for no reason?

If he's just spouting out nonsense, I could see that being annoying. But I've never played with someone who though they were competing against me without actually trying to set up a game ahead of time.

Also, these rules set forth by the USGA are really more aimed towards tournaments and professional golfers who do not encounter the same types of conditions that people on crappy muni's run into regularly. "Play it as it lies" for instance.. I'm all about that when you're not in the fairway, and I'll hit out of a divot as well, but when it's been raining and there's trenches in the bunkers from the night before, mud in the fairway, dead grass and dirt spots on the greens, etc.. aren't situations that guys on tour run into.. IMO, even though I do hit out of them, you shouldn't really even have to hit out of a divot as it should've been replaced, and there's not really anything you could do to avoid it.. and some of the hacks at the courses I play leave reaaaal deep divots.

All that being said, karma seems to find me on the golf course more than anywhere else in life. I've never hit a good shot when improving my lie, taking it out of a crappy sand trap, out of a divot, etc.. so I just don't do it.

Not intending to fight with you, but I do have a different perspective.

I can assure you with 100% confidence that "these Rules set forth by the USGA" are there for every pro or amateur player who is interested in a fair, objective solution to the myriad confounding situations in which we all sometimes find ourselves. In fact, consistency on "crappy munis" is probably more important than consistency at Augusta National. Questions more commonly come into play at poorly maintained and poorly marked courses.

So in summary...

OP: I think this.

Honest question from someone: Why do you think that?

OP: Piss off Troll. You starting a fight interweb loser?

Honest follow up question: Didn't you promote the opposite POV in other threads?

OP: I know you are, but what I am.

Ugh... we could really do with a new JonesScott :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I've paired up with people like that before. It didn't bother me in the least..I looked at it as they were speeding up play and getting out of my way so I could putt my ball. If the guy is blowing putts by that far that it isn't a makeable putt on the way back then they can't putt any way and if they putted everything out we might be there all day.

It reminds me of the time by buddy and I paired up with these two younger guys. They head back to the pro tees. We head up to the white tees. Both of them drove the crap out of the ball. They stuck their approach shots on the green then proceeded to play like us a "bunch of hacks" on the green. Three to five putting every hole. We might get on in regulation or chip on and one or two putt. They couldn't chip or putt at all but they were awesome teeing off and hitting their approach shots. I'm thinking oh my god how could someone be this good to the green and then suck around the green so bad. I wished they had just picked up but we stood there and watched them on every hole. What was funny when we finished playing the one guy said don't worry guys with a little more practice you can be as good as us. I don't know what they shot but whatever strokes we took getting to the green we made up with our chipping and putting and they lost a whole bunch trying to get it in the hole. It was so bad I thought we might be on Candid Camera

Good chance that if you lost that ball you wouldn't be hitting your personal best round any longer ;)

Birdie with the 2nd ball to save a bogie.

< shockwave flash keeps crashing today!!! >

Heck a double-bogey is recoverable enough, with an extra birdie or two :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

My personal best round of 3 under 69 included a triple bogey on the 9th hole with an OB.

My personal best round of 3 under 69 included a triple bogey on the 9th hole with an OB.

Wow that's an "H.E. Double hockey stick" of a good round. 6 birdies, 11 par, 1 triple?

Last week I had 11 par, 2 birdie and finished 80. Needless to say I wasn't thrilled with the rest.

I usually keep everyones score but if I see them doing that crap I don't bother keeping score with them. I just play my own game with my buddy or if I'm by myself, myself.

I keep only my parties score (ie. Me and my wife). I'll never ask a stranger his score. I can't question someone's obvious lies. Even a buddy I can't. Call me a push over.

If I'm not playing against someone for money (so basically anyone not my brother) then I don't care what they do or what they score.

This nearly entirely.

The only thing I won't do is attest a course record if asked or attest an ace he didn't get.

Other than that, if we aren't competing, tell me you shot 62 and I'll say "Nice round." I simply don't care if we aren't competing.

Do what makes you happy out there when you're playing outside of a competition or a posted round for handicap.

If I'm not keeping score and just out to have fun, I might do exactly what the gimme guy did. I'm not playing a match against you, we're playing golf together.

Some folks get bothered when others stick handle short putts while others get bothered when folks putt out 6 inchers. Maybe we can all accept that others find enjoyment on the golf course in different ways. While some treat posted handicap rounds the same as a strict tournament; others treat posted handicap rounds quite casually.

When someone goes OB twice and 2 putts then says he had a bogie that's not practice. Unless your practicing cheating!

Your first sentence was: "if I'm not keeping score..."

He was keeping score. As I stated, he claimed he shot a 78.

When I practice or want to have fun, I don't hit 100 and say I hit 78. Do you?

Hey Brent,

Did he post that "78" to his handicap? Now that would be funny.

Imagine he keeps a cap (vanity to be sure) and enters a tourney where "play it down and hole it out" rule the day. Suddenly he finds himself shooting a 120 and trying to explain his incredibly bad round.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

If I'm not keeping score and just out to have fun, I might do exactly what the gimme guy did. I'm not playing a match against you, we're playing golf together.

Some folks get bothered when others stick handle short putts while others get bothered when folks putt out 6 inchers. Maybe we can all accept that others find enjoyment on the golf course in different ways. While some treat posted handicap rounds the same as a strict tournament; others treat posted handicap rounds quite casually.

When someone goes OB twice and 2 putts then says he had a bogie that's not practice. Unless your practicing cheating!

Your first sentence was: "if I'm not keeping score..."

He was keeping score. As I stated, he claimed he shot a 78.

When I practice or want to have fun, I don't hit 100 and say I hit 78. Do you?

Hey Brent,

Did he post that "78" to his handicap? Now that would be funny.

Imagine he keeps a cap (vanity to be sure) and enters a tourney where "play it down and hole it out" rule the day. Suddenly he finds himself shooting a 120 and trying to explain his incredibly bad round.

I don't know if he posted it. I feel bad for people that struggle to find excuses why they are having that particular bad day. I just think it'd be easier to play legit. Nobody cares whose a great golfer

I could see giving a surprised look when he said 78 but otherwise why care? It's his money and the only one he is playing is himself. As long as he isn't adversely affecting the pace of play I don't care what personal rules of golf he is playing by. I certainly wouldn't feel the need to impose the rules I play by on somebody else (unless we were in a competitive round).

This after going OB.

I'd say, "Oh, I didn't know this hole was a par seven, eagle for me!"��

Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and walk away.

The man paid his money. As long he has solid etiquette and his not a DB and the round is not competitive in nature than anybody can do whatever they want. Who gives a crap? I have played with dozens and dozens of strangers. I couldn't tell you what any of them shot. They can write down 66 and have at it. Have a good time, do whatever you need to do to feel satisfied after a round. Everybody plays a game for different reasons. Until you know the person on a very personable level, you really have no idea what is going on in their life.

That would be why I laugh whenever I read that the "average" amateur shoots approximately 100 in a round. I've got to wonder how many guys like the one you described are out there recording an 80 ("put me down for a par" guy) to balance off everyone shooting a 120+.