2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Saw some new Callaway Woods last night (The Epic Thread)

jimpsycho

My popcorn is out for this one. In my experience so far, no Callaway driver, or 3 wood has lived up to the insane hype on here and I don't see nearly as much Callaway product in play as I would expect with how much attention they get on internet forums. I lost interest in overly hyped Callaway products after a group of 10-15 handicaps were on here going on and on about how they could tell a huge difference in 200 rpms in spin that the Gravity Core could influence and would go nuts if anyone posted contrary to them. Hoping this one is different, and more interested to see how it stacks up against the new M1/M2.

Well.. popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif :tongue:

It was 3 fanboys not 10-15 that were over served and over hyped. They were banned over conduct unbecoming of a member. Gone. We have learned a lot over the years. I guess we will never let that go right? :tongue:

You have never been a Callaway guy from memory and this might be a first. You have shown the ability to switch it up.

As for this Epic. Everything has cycles. TaylorMade 300 to 510df, Callaway Tour Authentic FT9 TA, Ping G driver and now M2... there will be the right combinations or COG and MOI that will make a hero this year and every year to come. Slight incremental improvements in the designs,materials and/or construction can make one better than another for a player.

Callaway's R&D and Engineering departments are comparable to TaylorMade's. Looks like it will be a fun testing season.

Get the popcorn out.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My popcorn is out for this one. In my experience so far, no Callaway driver, or 3 wood has lived up to the insane hype on here and I don't see nearly as much Callaway product in play as I would expect with how much attention they get on internet forums. I lost interest in overly hyped Callaway products after a group of 10-15 handicaps were on here going on and on about how they could tell a huge difference in 200 rpms in spin that the Gravity Core could influence and would go nuts if anyone posted contrary to them. Hoping this one is different, and more interested to see how it stacks up against the new M1/M2.

It was 3 fanboys not 10-15 that were over served and over hyped. They were banned over conduct unbecoming of a member. Gone. We have learned a lot over the years. I guess we will never let that go right? :tongue:

You have never been a Callaway guy from memory and this might be a first. You have shown the ability to switch it up.

As for this Epic. Everything has cycles. TaylorMade 300 to 510df, Callaway Tour Authentic FT9 TA, Ping G driver and now M2... there will be the right combinations or COG and MOI that will make a hero this year and every year to come. Slight incremental improvements in the designs,materials and/or construction can make one better than another for a player.

Callaway's R&D and Engineering departments are comparable to TaylorMade's. Looks like it will be a fun testing season.

Get the popcorn out.

3?! Stop it! That's funnier than Ari's 8mph ball speed gain! :cheesy: :tongue: Anyways, back to speculating. I'm sticking with what I've heard so far and will definitely hit this club. :drinks:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Get the popcorn out.

3?! Stop it! That's funnier than Ari's 8mph ball speed gain! :cheesy: :tongue: Anyways, back to speculating. I'm sticking with what I've heard so far and will definitely hit this club. :drinks:

I predict a full Callaway bag for u this year :tongue:

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

See this is why we love this place. To late in the day to play so we come here to speculate and banter with our crew about the game we love. I love it. How many years has it been and I am still dreaming of another holy grail.

For those that have been here long enough... JMHGO

:pimp:

Get the popcorn out.

Hey, just reporting on my experience.....

On trackman saw a 3/4 mph average gain and my highest ballspeed w the Epic was 8 mph faster than my highest ballspeed w my M2. I was more shocked than you trust me.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Get the popcorn out.

I predict a full Callaway bag for u this year :tongue:

He cant do a full bag. It will have to be a partial bag. Camerons remember? He is in way to deep.

Get the popcorn out.

On trackman saw a 3/4 mph average gain and my highest ballspeed w the Epic was 8 mph faster than my highest ballspeed w my M2. I was more shocked than you trust me.

I trust you Ari. 3/4 mph average is the important stat IMO. I will wash the 8mph hit. You might have finally made a full turn. ;)

Dont let these mean golf snobs ;) get to you. With the strokes we get (you are a 3 and I am a 2 now) we will get 6 shots each. It will be fun to collect.

Get the popcorn out.

I trust you Ari. 3/4 mph average is the important stat IMO. I will wash the 8mph hit. You might have finally made a full turn. ;)

Dont let these mean golf snobs ;) get to you. With the strokes we get (you are a 3 and I am a 2 now) we will get 6 shots each. It will be fun to collect.

Maybe it was the full turn that would make sense.....

And totally agree if it was just one swing I wouldn't put too much stock in it but it was 3/4 mph faster pretty much every time. You simply can't ignore that especially when I've been hitting this m2 longer and straighter than anything else all year and get 1.51/1.52 smash factor with it. (why did I wait so long to get one?)

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

I hope you all realize this is just banter.

Quick story... I used to run a weely skins game at my club. We had up to 40 guys. The banter was to much for me. They guys were all good and I was getting better but had a tough time with all the banter. Example... I would miss a 20 foot putt by a foot to the right and one of the guys would say... "jezzz... how didnt that go in?" or "ouch, that was horrible lol." Something like that. They were having to much fun and I didnt care for it. I was serious and wanted it to be like that.

It got to me. I was frustrated and would pick my groups with the more uptight and serious guys.

Then I watched Hank Haney and Charles Barkley. That show were Hank tried to fix CB. One show towards the end of the series Charles invited his boys to play with him and Hank to show off the "new" fixed swing. It was hilarious. They were out there having a riot and they were ripping each other all day long. Way worst than what my boys ever did to me. But they (CB and his friends) were having a blast out there.

I learn to relax and have fun. Banter is tough with our skins group. Not for the faint of heart and thin skinned.

So, I hope you all are seeing that these back and forth comment between J13, FF, Pure and myself is just that. Banter and fun.

Now back to the speculation and chatter about the next holy grail.

R :)

So, I hope you all are seeing that these back and forth comment between J13, FF, Pure and myself is just that. Banter and fun.

Hey don't forget PACO........

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

I hope you all realize this is just banter.

Quick story... I used to run a weely skins game at my club. We had up to 40 guys. The banter was to much for me. They guys were all good and I was getting better but had a tough time with all the banter. Example... I would miss a 20 foot putt by a foot to the right and one of the guys would say... "jezzz... how didnt that go in?" or "ouch, that was horrible lol." Something like that. They were having to much fun and I didnt care for it. I was serious and wanted it to be like that.

It got to me. I was frustrated and would pick my groups with the more uptight and serious guys.

Then I watched Hank Haney and Charles Barkley. That show were Hank tried to fix CB. One show towards the end of the series Charles invited his boys to play with him and Hank to show off the "new" fixed swing. It was hilarious. They were out there having a riot and they were ripping each other all day long. Way worst than what my boys ever did to me. But they (CB and his friends) were having a blast out there.

I learn to relax and have fun. Banter is tough with our skins group. Not for the faint of heart and thin skinned.

Now back to the speculation and chatter about the next holy grail.

R :)

Couldn't have said it better haha all in good fun I hope people realize we are all messing around :D :D

Get the popcorn out.

You and Ari, vs. Me and J13 and we give 2 and 3 shots? I'm in name the place and we're playing for an Audemars. Use your Wheels Up account and get out here.

Ari - 3 mph average is back into believable-land. :tongue: :drag: :drinks:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Coming back from Carlsbad to post here is gonna be like the boats landing at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

You and Ari, vs. Me and J13 and we give 2 and 3 shots? I'm in name the place and we're playing for an Audemars. Use your Wheels Up account and get out here.

Ari... Lets book it. Tai... you will have to play with that blue driver you had in the finals of the 16 shootout. I will play my current gamer of this new Epic. I get 4 shots and Ari gets more.

Put the Audemars in escrow before we tee it up. Make it a real one to.

:air_kiss:

Coming back from Carlsbad to post here is gonna be like the boats landing at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan

Your right. Sorry. Lost my mind there.

Ok Epic.... FF hit them both and hasn't slept since. Like the non Sub zero version better. Got average of 3mph faster ball speeds. Yum.

When can we get one?

If you read my original post, that's what I said in the first place! :P

Average +3/4 mph difference best v best +8mph.

Ari... Lets book it. Tai... you will have to play with that blue driver you had in the finals of the 16 shootout. I will play my current gamer of this new Epic. I get 4 shots and Ari gets more.

In. Time and place?

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

It's on the way now :pimp: I'll use any clubs you want Nike drivers, Scratch irons.. won't matter. You get 3, Ari gets 4. :butcher:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

I'm hoping i gain 4 yards, enough to say the club is great and not so much that i have to turn heel and fight Pure745 at Wrestlemania!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Your right. Sorry. Lost my mind there.

Ok Epic.... FF hit them both and hasn't slept since. Like the non Sub zero version better. Got average of 3mph faster ball speeds. Yum.

When can we get one?

This Epic better show up soon or I'm going to be REALLY tired by January.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

It's on the way now :pimp: I'll use any clubs you want Nike drivers, Scratch irons.. won't matter. You get 3, Ari gets 4. :butcher:

Good to see the baby hasn't affected your confidence! :)

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

Pure

I'll put this up and be your partner. I could use a new Panerai ?

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Bring that trash talking to alabama.... I'd love a new watch and an Epic driver. :taunt: You gotta come here though, I'm too poor for a wheels up account or the watch....

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max driver

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 3 wood

Adams tour proto 20 hybrid

Callaway Apex CB 24 (4-pw)

Vokey sm9 52/58 wedges 

Scotty fastback 1.5 putter

I'm not quite seeing the connection between someone's handicap and their ability to see or feel a difference in a golf club. Are you saying you have to be a certain handicap before what you feel when you hit a golf ball becomes legitimate?

Rpm's aside, I used to play the 815 DBD and there was definitely a difference in feel between the gravity core settings. Or at least I thought there was...I'll get back to you after I double check where my index is currently.

Farrow, don't let the snobbery get to you. How a club feels, looks, performs, IS important regardless of handicap level. ?

I'm out if he's using the blue driver, just saying there's an Audemars on the line. :D if we agree to those terms I'm in :tongue:

If this goes down the GolfWRX community deserves two things from our own "The Match"

We need Rob or Zach to live blog the Match

We need Greg on location to do full WITB's

Can those two requests happen as well ?

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

If this goes down the GolfWRX community deserves two things from our own "The Match"

We need Rob or Zach to live blog the Match

We need Greg on location to do full WITB's

Can those two requests happen as well

We need live TV coverage, could be EPIC.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x