Saw some new Callaway Woods last night (The Epic Thread)

jimpsycho

My popcorn is out for this one. In my experience so far, no Callaway driver, or 3 wood has lived up to the insane hype on here and I don't see nearly as much Callaway product in play as I would expect with how much attention they get on internet forums. I lost interest in overly hyped Callaway products after a group of 10-15 handicaps were on here going on and on about how they could tell a huge difference in 200 rpms in spin that the Gravity Core could influence and would go nuts if anyone posted contrary to them. Hoping this one is different, and more interested to see how it stacks up against the new M1/M2.

Well.. popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif :tongue:

I'm not quite seeing the connection between someone's handicap and their ability to see or feel a difference in a golf club. Are you saying you have to be a certain handicap before what you feel when you hit a golf ball becomes legitimate?

Rpm's aside, I used to play the 815 DBD and there was definitely a difference in feel between the gravity core settings. Or at least I thought there was...I'll get back to you after I double check where my index is currently.

I'll generally agree with Pure on his point of view. I think most golfers can see a difference in clubs; length, loft, head shape, top line, etc. (physical stuff); and maybe feel some differences; SW, overall weight, and shaft flex. But I think you have to be an elite player (simply due to the consistency of their swing) to see and feel performance differences between different setups and then to be able to accurately say that change A and B in the club influence X and Y performance. Higher index golfers just aren't consistent enough to do this.

Take the Callaway driver with the gravity core. I never hit it so I'm not sure if there is a difference in feel/sound when the core is in the up/down position. If you took 5 identical heads and builds (head loft/lie indicators removed, no shaft graphics) with the only difference being the position of the gravity core and did a blind test with 50 players (index of scratch to 15) there would be a handful that could accurately pick which heads had the gravity core up/down due to launch/spin of the shots. You would get a lot of comments about the clubs......different length, SW, overall weight, shaft flex, head loft, etc. which are guesses based on feel and sound.

You can help the test pool by telling them that the clubs are identical other than the position of the gravity core. Now the testers have a 50/50 chance to guess its position as this helps them shift their focus to ball flight.

If you used only one club and asked your test pool to hit 10 good shots with the core in the up and down positions (testers don't know position) and indicate launch angle and spin for each shot; very difficult to be accurate. Most may be able to indicate that one set of 10 shots launched higher/lower than the other or one set of 10 was higher/lower spin than the other. However, most golfers can't tell the difference between 2500-2700 versus 3000-3200 or 9.5o versus 10.75o launch angle.

Blind testing for the low and scratch players is very difficult, especially if they don't know what is being tested. As handicap index increases it becomes more difficult to deliver the club to the ball consistently. It's just really hard to judge performance of a driver, ball, shaft, wedge, etc. with variation from swing to swing.

The gravity core in the 816 DBD is extremely noticeable between it's different positions, IMO.

As far as everything else, you're probably right. The hidden factor though, is confidence. I'm doubting that I'm the only one to experience a reasonably large gain in performance from one club to another based on very little change, outside of the fact that SOMETHING is just right with it.

Odd thing about the 816 is they said "put the weight where your miss is". My miss is high toe but putting the weight low toe gave me by far the best results. Like 10-12 yards difference and it was based on spin. I should note I wrapped about 5g of lead tape around the middle of the core. Sound, feel, and performance all drastically improved.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M2 is driver of the last few years. It's literally a game changer and the fact 8/10 pros are using it is testament to that.

Callaway going with names Fusion and Epic...reminds me of chocolate bars of the late 80's to early 90's...just not attracting me at all.

Did I read what you said correctly.......8 of 10 pro's are using it? By the way, i think the M1 is great. I don't care for the M2 at all.

Source of that info?

I believe that is a bit of an exaggeration, unless you only count TM players. For one all Titleist, Ping, and Cally players play those brands.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

I have always liked Callaway product but I think the point of the trip isn't to gush over the new product and praise Callaway up and down. I'm going to do my absolute best and giving an honest review and post the facts and keep opinions at a minimum.

I think it's been fairly evident that I'm excited to go but I'm skeptical about the gains that some have claimed. I'm not saying that it isn't possible for someone to see gains of 7-8mph in ballspeed but I could pretty much guarantee that not everyone will see those gains. This driver really sounds like it has potential to change the way companies design drivers but until I personally see results in my own game I will sit tight on praising it.

Disclaimer: I said I'm a Callaway fan but I would argue with anyone that the M2 is probably driver of the year for 2016.

My apologies for derailing this thread with banter with Easyyy (I'm pretty sure it's his fault anyways) :tongue: The Callaway trip doesn't even need to be brought up in this thread, I'm sure there is another lengthy thread full of greatness to come and I don't want my previous perceptions of Callaway and a specific Callaway trip to cloud my enjoyment of your upcoming trip. I'm glad to see a few guys picked for this trip and I'm sure your experiences will be amazing.

That said, I'm putting zero expectations or weight on any of your reviews (no offense), nothing personal, just I've learned that expecting too much from these trips or hosted events and then seeing what is actually written or brought back is not fair for those in attendance or me as a reader. Some of my observations from previous trips have severely skewed my perception of Callaway and guys picked on previous trips and a few already getting their feelings hurt from my opinions and not know context of why they are what they are. No big deal, I've taken my fair share of lumps on here too, so I know the feeling :)

Anyways, I've added the only credible input I have many pages back and I'm sure around 12/1 we'll have all seen it and probably hit by then so I'm going to sit tight till then unless anymore information actually surfaces. My apologies again for taking this off track last page :drinks:

Just know that one day, maybe even years in the future, you will need to see objective data comparing a 5 year old Ping Anser to a Callaway Epic. And at that point, with no one else to turn to.....MtlJeff will be there for you

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

My popcorn is out for this one. In my experience so far, no Callaway driver, or 3 wood has lived up to the insane hype on here and I don't see nearly as much Callaway product in play as I would expect with how much attention they get on internet forums. I lost interest in overly hyped Callaway products after a group of 10-15 handicaps were on here going on and on about how they could tell a huge difference in 200 rpms in spin that the Gravity Core could influence and would go nuts if anyone posted contrary to them. Hoping this one is different, and more interested to see how it stacks up against the new M1/M2.

I'm not quite seeing the connection between someone's handicap and their ability to see or feel a difference in a golf club. Are you saying you have to be a certain handicap before what you feel when you hit a golf ball becomes legitimate?

Rpm's aside, I used to play the 815 DBD and there was definitely a difference in feel between the gravity core settings. Or at least I thought there was...I'll get back to you after I double check where my index is currently.

I'll generally agree with Pure on his point of view. I think most golfers can see a difference in clubs; length, loft, head shape, top line, etc. (physical stuff); and maybe feel some differences; SW, overall weight, and shaft flex. But I think you have to be an elite player (simply due to the consistency of their swing) to see and feel performance differences between different setups and then to be able to accurately say that change A and B in the club influence X and Y performance. Higher index golfers just aren't consistent enough to do this.

Take the Callaway driver with the gravity core. I never hit it so I'm not sure if there is a difference in feel/sound when the core is in the up/down position. If you took 5 identical heads and builds (head loft/lie indicators removed, no shaft graphics) with the only difference being the position of the gravity core and did a blind test with 50 players (index of scratch to 15) there would be a handful that could accurately pick which heads had the gravity core up/down due to launch/spin of the shots. You would get a lot of comments about the clubs......different length, SW, overall weight, shaft flex, head loft, etc. which are guesses based on feel and sound.

You can help the test pool by telling them that the clubs are identical other than the position of the gravity core. Now the testers have a 50/50 chance to guess its position as this helps them shift their focus to ball flight.

If you used only one club and asked your test pool to hit 10 good shots with the core in the up and down positions (testers don't know position) and indicate launch angle and spin for each shot; very difficult to be accurate. Most may be able to indicate that one set of 10 shots launched higher/lower than the other or one set of 10 was higher/lower spin than the other. However, most golfers can't tell the difference between 2500-2700 versus 3000-3200 or 9.5o versus 10.75o launch angle.

Blind testing for the low and scratch players is very difficult, especially if they don't know what is being tested. As handicap index increases it becomes more difficult to deliver the club to the ball consistently. It's just really hard to judge performance of a driver, ball, shaft, wedge, etc. with variation from swing to swing.

The gravity core in the 816 DBD is extremely noticeable between it's different positions, IMO.

As far as everything else, you're probably right. The hidden factor though, is confidence. I'm doubting that I'm the only one to experience a reasonably large gain in performance from one club to another based on very little change, outside of the fact that SOMETHING is just right with it.

Odd thing about the 816 is they said "put the weight where your miss is". My miss is high toe but putting the weight low toe gave me by far the best results. Like 10-12 yards difference and it was based on spin. I should note I wrapped about 5g of lead tape around the middle of the core. Sound, feel, and performance all drastically improved.

I pretty much had to do the same thing, though I split the weight between the back weight +1.5 grams and +2.5 grams wrapped around the core (low heel)...I even had to fill in the red space right behind the face. I have been trying to match up the feeling and total weight (200.5 grams) with the 815 and Alpha, but since the core isn't in the middle with the 816, it has been a little more trial and error. However, it seems that I have finally got it to match...and the sound coming off the 816 is just great.

Rogue ST *** 10.5  // Epic SZ 9* (+1, heavy weight forward) 
GD Tour IZ 6X // HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 (70G)  // UST Attas 6Star 6S  

TM RBZ Tour 5 (X1) // Callaway Steelhead XR 5W (Motore F3 90S) // TM M3 (Tensei Blue)

Nike VR split cavity 4 (R300), VR Pro Blades: 5 (S300), 6 (ss X1), 7-PW (X1)

Cally MD2 52T bent-50.5*(X1), TM Highh Toe 56 bent-54.5*(KBS 2.0), 60 PM'19 (X1ss), and 64 PM'19 (S300)

Odyssey EXO #7S SC Pistolero // YES! Donna  SC Pistolero

Just know that one day, maybe even years in the future, you will need to see objective data comparing a 5 year old Ping Anser to a Callaway Epic. And at that point, with no one else to turn to.....MtlJeff will be there for you

:cheesy:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

See this is why we love this place. To late in the day to play so we come here to speculate and banter with our crew about the game we love. I love it. How many years has it been and I am still dreaming of another holy grail.

For those that have been here long enough... JMHGO

:pimp:

Richard, we ALL dream of that Holy Grail. However, no matter how holy grailish a club is, one still has to put a good swing on it. I know, because I have put plenty of bad swings on very good clubs. :-)

Coming back from Carlsbad to post here is gonna be like the boats landing at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan

Your right. Sorry. Lost my mind there.

Ok Epic.... FF hit them both and hasn't slept since. Like the non Sub zero version better. Got average of 3mph faster ball speeds. Yum.

When can we get one?

This Epic better show up soon or I'm going to be REALLY tired by January.

Well, one thing has been Epic...all this banter. :-)

I genuinely can't remember the last time there was this amount of hype around a driver. I just can't see Callaway doing anything out the ordinary though. It would be nice but the M2 saw an 11 yard increase for me. First time since I started playing and I hit it straight. Not long, now average 218 off the tee but still. The Callaway tends to have longer shafts and that doesn't help me.

It seems like every year there is a lot of hype surrounding a new driver. The M1 comes to mind.

Like I said before, It will be interesting to see how this works for my 56 yr old, 100 mph swing. My G25 is 3 years old and I am just guessing on the shaft. Getting fit should help everyone, so some of the improvement is just from going through the process

Well, you're still a young'un. 92 mph is about the best I can do.

Like I said before, It will be interesting to see how this works for my 56 yr old, 100 mph swing. My G25 is 3 years old and I am just guessing on the shaft. Getting fit should help everyone, so some of the improvement is just from going through the process

2-3 mph ball will add yardage no matter what age... Big Easy... a full bag of Callaways are calling

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

At this point the Epic has already produced the thread equivalent of an 8mph increase in ballspeed. The struggle is real as is the hype :o

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Now I can't say for sure, but my gut tells me that this is one of the best marketing ploys of all time. I hope the product lives up to the hype, will for sure be giving one a swing.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

M2 is driver of the last few years. It's literally a game changer and the fact 8/10 pros are using it is testament to that.

Callaway going with names Fusion and Epic...reminds me of chocolate bars of the late 80's to early 90's...just not attracting me at all.

Did I read what you said correctly.......8 of 10 pro's are using it? By the way, i think the M1 is great. I don't care for the M2 at all.

Source of that info?

I believe that is a bit of an exaggeration, unless you only count TM players. For one all Titleist, Ping, and Cally players play those brands.

Correct. All the TM,NIKE,Mizuno,Srixon guys play them all in contention. Looks like it is only the Ping or Titelist pros that play anything different.

Point is, that's huge ground to make up and unless there's something revolutionary I can't see a driver called Epic changing the dominance.

I find the whole gambling for a 30K+ watch part of this thread to be in poor taste, and a little braggadocio. Should be discussed offline. Otherwise, great thread and can't wait to see the true Trackman numbers on this club, as well as how many exiled Nike staffers switch over to the Cally, especially those who previously switched to a TM driver. In my opinion, that will be the crucible for this test. #M2FloodstheBST?

I find the whole gambling for a 30K+ watch part of this thread to be in poor taste, and a little braggadocio. Should be discussed offline. Otherwise, great thread and can't wait to see the true Trackman numbers on this club, as well as how many exiled Nike staffers switch over to the Cally, especially those who previously switched to a TM driver. In my opinion, that will be the crucible for this test. #M2FloodstheBST?

Well, since it was the Founder of this site, an admin and 2 of the better members on the site, think we should just read on....

, or maybe just thank the man for what he has done.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

2-3 mph ball will add yardage no matter what age... Big Easy... a full bag of Callaways are calling

You're right. With a 45 1/2" shaft I can be 10 yards farther in the trees.:)

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

You're right. With a 45 1/2" shaft I can be 10 yards farther in the trees.:)

Yep then the driver will show you...it's the Indian not the arrow! ;)

protos F4

It was banter nothing more and nothing less.

The fact that they are popping in here should show people the excitement for this product from all golfers..

protos F4

I gained 9 mph of ball speed!!!

Yep, the center of my drivers club face gives 9 mph more ball speed than the crown pop up swing. Distance gains are almost unbelievable. I think I should work on my non-epic swing though. It lets me down all too often. But when I catch the center of the face, it's only 60 yards short of golfwrx epic by forum standards.

“I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from porn is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot

Source of that info?

Correct. All the TM,NIKE,Mizuno,Srixon guys play them all in contention. Looks like it is only the Ping or Titelist pros that play anything different.

Point is, that's huge ground to make up and unless there's something revolutionary I can't see a driver called Epic changing the dominance.

Once again........Not accurate.......For example, what about all the pros playing the M1.

The fact that they are popping in here should show people the excitement for this product from all golfers..

Agree, Pure, myself , Richard, and Ari were just horsing around in good fun and busting each other's chops. No one is playing for a $30k watch because if we were I'd show up with the best Audemars Chinatown has to offer :o :D

ON a side note I'm looking forward to next week as the Epic should be in play and TIGER IS BACK!

Edel PROTO

Agree, Pure, myself , Richard, and Ari were just horsing around in good fun and busting each other's chops. No one is playing for a $30k watch because if we were I'd show up with the best Audemars Chinatown has to offer :o :D

ON a side note I'm looking forward to next week as the Epic should be in play and TIGER IS BACK!

Maybe it was a Royal Oak... you can get them for 10k ;)

Can't wait for Tiger Week! I've never liked anything Callaway. But their new wedges and this driver might change things. Either way looking forward to seeing what everyone else gets results wise.

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

I wonder if putting a gravity core in both sides would be similar to "jail break" tech? lol

I have the same miss, and while I tend to notice more forgiveness with the GC up, I get the longest distances with it down. It does make quite a difference in spin, IMO, and as a natural drawer of the ball, I have noticed I hit the ball considerably straighter, and even have the ability to fade it much easier now.

In all honesty though, I don't really like the heel-toe locations for the GC as I do feel the bias more than I would like to. I have absolutely no luck with it in the heel either.. It's a completely different driver for me when the gc is in the hell position, and I can't get a handle of it for anything.

What if Tiger comes back next week....playing the Epic??? I feel like the world would stop spinning.

Maybe it was a Royal Oak... you can get them for 10k ;)

Can't wait for Tiger Week! I've never liked anything Callaway. But their new wedges and this driver might change things. Either way looking forward to seeing what everyone else gets results wise.

keep an open mind. after being called out for not educating myself with the current product line - i took my girlies in this weekend and checked out what would be the FLEX equivalent....BIG BERTHA ALPHA 816 DOUBLE BLACK DIAMOND (i cringe with the name and length). solid driver. not only that - the fairway is solid. it would be a lateral move at this point - but it is a quality product and design.

What if Tiger comes back next week....playing the Epic??? I feel like the world would stop spinning.

I like where this is going.

New Rumor ******

Tiger is showing up next week using the Epic Sub Zero 10.5 open 2.5* w/ Matrix tp7hd e. Confirmed by a guy I know that works concessions at the event. When you sell cold beer and hot dogs you're in the know.

Edel PROTO