2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Saw some new Callaway Woods last night (The Epic Thread)

jimpsycho

Have those seeing large gains in ball speed measured the COR of their current club vs. the COR of the Epic demo (no need to actually answer because the answer is no). Your current driver could be at the lower end of the COR tolerance range and my guess is Callaway is demoing clubs they have tested to make sure they are at the upper end of COR. That way chances are most people will see gains and have a positive experience with the club. Those who see smaller gains probably have a comparator driver that is a closer COR match.

Flame away GolfWRX marketing and tech experts, but that's exactly how I would control a launch. The initial sales trajectory (no pun intended) will determine market success and it is almost impossible to recover from a bad initial customer experience with social media. But what do I know? I only run the marketing for a $1B brand that relies on initial success at launch to make or break sales.

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bars only weigh 6 grams so shouldn't be that big deal as far as MOI.

The whole reason for using carbon fiber is to allow more weight to be moved low and to the rear. Clearly with this club Callaway is attempting to move cog low and to the rear.

The jailbreak technology is not intended to increase COR or CT.

The jailbreak technology works for center and mishits (to suggest it is only for mishits is simply wrong).

The crude sketches showing the clubface deflecting differently with jailbreak are misleading. This is not the intended purpose of the 2 supports.

As mentioned numerous times in this thread, the jailbreak technology is designed to reduce the energy loss that occurs when the crown and bottom of the club distort when a ball is struck.

This is probably the Callaway patent application that applies:

http://golf-patents....eak-technology/

Exactly. What this guy said!

Wiffle ball? What was that other guy thinking?

Do any of the folks who are trying to figure out why this driver is so good have any thoughts at all that this might just be another driver and will not be special at all.....Not bashing it or any of the posters....... I have never seen it and am sure i will try it, but even here on WRX, I have never seen a club hyped so much, by so many, after being tried by so few.

Edit.....I do respect the opinions of those who have hit the epic and provided info.......I hope i find the same to be true.

this thread has kind of snowballed and become a self fullfilling perpetual motion machine.

A couple of points:

1) Most of the posts are really adding nothing, either they are jokes about the hype and how long the thread is, fairly benign "i'm interested to see this" type stuff, or those jerks going on the upcoming trip flapping their gums

2) Callaway hasn't said anything, and actually only posted to say they were going to punish the guy for leaking pictures....so the hype is mostly from a small handful of people who've hit it and might be meaningless. That's pretty much been established

Basically, this thread is just a bunch of dudes hanging out. It's like Seinfeld. I'm not really sure it's "about" anything right now

I blame Thrillhouse....we used to have a thread like that.

Where's he at?

Looks like he hasn't been active since April 2015.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

The whole reason for using carbon fiber is to allow more weight to be moved low and to the rear. Clearly with this club Callaway is attempting to move cog low and to the rear.

The jailbreak technology works for center and mishits (to suggest it is only for mishits is simply wrong).

The crude sketches showing the clubface deflecting differently with jailbreak are misleading. This is not the intended purpose of the 2 supports.

As mentioned numerous times in this thread, the jailbreak technology is designed to reduce the energy loss that occurs when the crown and bottom of the club distort when a ball is struck.

http://golf-patents.com/the-likely-callaway-jailbreak-technology/

This post was intelligent, coherent, contained actual information, and may also be technically accurate...

I'm going to have to ask you to leave.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

http://golf-patents.com/the-likely-callaway-jailbreak-technology/

This post was intelligent, coherent, contained actual information, and may also be technically accurate...

LoL !!!

Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link

Have those seeing large gains in ball speed measured the COR of their current club vs. the COR of the Epic demo (no need to actually answer because the answer is no). Your current driver could be at the lower end of the COR tolerance range and my guess is Callaway is demoing clubs they have tested to make sure they are at the upper end of COR. That way chances are most people will see gains and have a positive experience with the club. Those who see smaller gains probably have a comparator driver that is a closer COR match.

Flame away GolfWRX marketing and tech experts, but that's exactly how I would control a launch. The initial sales trajectory (no pun intended) will determine market success and it is almost impossible to recover from a bad initial customer experience with social media. But what do I know? I only run the marketing for a $1B brand that relies on initial success at launch to make or break sales.

Actually, the messaging from all the Callaway reps that I've heard in regards to the Epic is clearly not about CoR, it's about the technology. They're not going to go through all the design of 5 years, including testing for this tech for it not to be conforming for every rule currently in place.

I concur with some of the MOI comments and raised something similar very early in the thread. Clearly the jailbreak does something for ball speeds off the face but I hope that the overall CG is still low and back.

What do you mean "still"? Callaway has never made a low/back driver. All of their clubs are high/front or high/back. Exception being the subzero which is low/front, but they don't have anything low/back

I don't think you can really say Callaway has had high CG clubs in the past either. There's a pretty informative chart on another site that actually measured the CG's of most OEM's recent drivers, and while Callaway didn't have the lowest, they were definitely on the lower end of the spectrum.

Yes, and I know someone who helps supply them with those numbers, they don't do it themselves

I concur with some of the MOI comments and raised something similar very early in the thread. Clearly the jailbreak does something for ball speeds off the face but I hope that the overall CG is still low and back.

What do you mean "still"? Callaway has never made a low/back driver. All of their clubs are high/front or high/back. Exception being the subzero which is low/front, but they don't have anything low/back

I don't think you can really say Callaway has had high CG clubs in the past either. There's a pretty informative chart on another site that actually measured the CG's of most OEM's recent drivers, and while Callaway didn't have the lowest, they were definitely on the lower end of the spectrum.

Yes, and I know someone who helps supply them with those numbers, they don't do it themselves

So using the Callaway drivers currently out, the BB Fusion is VERY low and back, much lower than their successful XR16. You have to look at who a driver is marketed to make a judgment like that to be honest. The Epic is not going to be so low back where the spin is going to be super high. Different drivers, different markets.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

wow.....i miss a couple of days and come back to a thread completely derailed and spiraling quickly. in a week or so we will have an official press release and real info - which hopefully will warrant this thread being locked and a new OFFICIAL one started. the direction this has gone is embarrassing.

EDIT BELOW

i for one am hoping the T1100 is an available option

wow.....i miss a couple of days and come back to a thread completely derailed and spiraling quickly. in a week or so we will have an official press release and real info - which hopefully will warrant this thread being locked and a new OFFICIAL one started. the direction this has gone is embarrassing.

EDIT BELOW

Heard the T1100 is rebar

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Hit this yesterday. Hard to tell as it was 40 degrees and I was hitting into like a 15 mph wind.

Looks great, feels awesome. I'm in love with my fusion at the moment, and I took the Epic head and put it on my Fuzion's shaft. Definitely picked up some ball speed on GC2.

Rep said he was sending me a head next week. Pumped!

Callaway National Fitters Board/Adidas Staff/UST Mamiya Advisory Staff
AI Smoke Max - Lin-Q M40X Blue 
AI Smoke Max 3W - Lin-Q M40X Red
AI Smoke Max 5W - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex UW - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex Pro 24 5-8, CB 9-11 - Recoil Dart 105
JAWS Raw 54W,60Z - Recoil Wedge Proto 110
Toulon Le Mans - UST All-In
Chrome Tour

Hit this yesterday. Hard to tell as it was 40 degrees and I was hitting into like a 15 mph wind.

Looks great, feels awesome. I'm in love with my fusion at the moment, and I took the Epic head and put it on my Fuzion's shaft. Definitely picked up some ball speed on GC2.

How much ball speed did you pick up?

Callaway Staffer

EDIT BELOW

Heard the T1100 is rebar

it's a rebar wrapped with very expansive paint.

both EPIC driver and fairway wood will come with HZRDUS T800 as one of their stock offering.

T800 is a water down version of T1100 but with EXACT same paint scheme and color as T1100.

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

We finally got some numbers! 40 degrees and 15mph. I've wasted so much time in this thread...

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

Plenty of numbers available for review.....

Here is a thread about the 2017 M2

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1410794-2017-taylormade-m2-driver-photos/

It is 5 pages long. Which is pretty long

This thread is 45 pages long.

If you put that into the threadman analyzer

45 = 5(x)

x= 9

The Callaway Epic is 9 times or 800%*** hypier

***(45-5) / 5 x100

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

http://golf-patents....eak-technology/

LoL !!!

LOL LOL !!!

http://www.golfwrx.c...-driver-photos/

45 = 5(x)

x= 9

***(45-5) / 5 x100

Callaway Epic page 45 pages - or 42 pages of garbage with 3 pages of actual useful information

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1410794-2017-taylormade-m2-driver-photos/

45 = 5(x)

x= 9

***(45-5) / 5 x100

More speculation than Enron stock, #epicfail so far. Getting into the silly season for the wrx members, memebers cant play in the northern climates, rounds drop due to the season ending , posts go up cabin fever sets in; it becomes as friendly as the British parliament.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

45 = 5(x)

x= 9

***(45-5) / 5 x100

then we will get phil saying its changed his game that much its unreal then wont see him rest of the season,

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

45 = 5(x)

x= 9

***(45-5) / 5 x100

Callaway Epic page 45 pages - or 42 pages of garbage with 3 pages of actual useful information

Can you point me to the useful stuff. Life is too short for this rubbish. :swoon: :ninja: :blink: :blink: :wacko:

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 5R

Mizuno ST 190 TS 3 wood Fujikura Atmos 6 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
4 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Odyssey DFX Double Wide

It is really quite simple ...

Callaway has developed a multi material head with a low and back center of gravity (thus high moi and low spin) that delivers 2+ mph higher ball speed than any other manufacturer. The higher ball speed is a result of increasing the structural integrity of the head by using a structural feature they are marketing as Jailbreak Technology.

(testers have reported as high as an 8 mph increase, though more formal testing should be done to confirm the actual increase, worth noting is everyone that has hit it is saying yes it goes farther)

It is really quite simple ...

Callaway has developed a multi material head with a low and back center of gravity (thus high moi and low spin) that delivers 2+ mph higher ball speed than any other manufacturer. The higher ball speed is a result of increasing the structural integrity of the head by using a structural feature they are marketing as Jailbreak Technology.

(testers have reported as high as an 8 mph increase, though more formal testing should be done to confirm the actual increase, worth noting is everyone that has hit it is saying yes it goes farther)

I would also add that only one person (who also happens to be a credible source in the golf industry) mentioned a max ball speed increase of 8 mph, which is much different than an average increase. From his quick review his average increase was much more in line with the other people who have hit it so far, which is closer to 2-3 mph.

But as we all know, everyone's results may vary. There might be some of us who gain ball speed, and there are others of us who probably won't.