2024 US Open WITB Photos Γ—

2017 PXG LPGA Tour, new clubs

puresurfr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to understand how PXG is good for the game?

Β 

On the flip side, how is it bad for the game? So a handful of rick folks want to but some expensive clubs. So? Is Ferrari bad for the automotive industry? Is Cabot Links bad for the golf course industry?

Β 

At the end of the day, it's a meaningless blip on the radar.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat)Β - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Β 

On the flip side, how is it bad for the game? So a handful of rick folks want to but some expensive clubs. So? Is Ferrari bad for the automotive industry? Is Cabot Links bad for the golf course industry?

Β 

Β 

Not trying to be flippant but that PXG commercial is quite off-putting. Now golf is such a great game that I doubt it or any tv commercial for that matter could make or break someone's interest, but hearing some angry old guy grumbling in a voice-over about sexy golf clubs, the net effect cannot be positive. If it is, then stop the world I'm getting off.

I read an article back when Bob Parsons started the company where he said he was not really interested in making money he just wanted to run a club company his way. In the golf business smaller botique companies come and go. Remember companies like Mc Henry metals? Those drivers were pretty pricey for the day. LOL saw one of those drivers for sale in the thrift store for $2.99 the other day. Look at all the specialty putter companies out there today and bigger established companies making high dollar putters these days. Man it boggles the mind to think of the club companies that have came and went in the last 25 years or so some even had tour presence with established stars. Lynx comes to mind with Freddie Couples now they are still in business in the European market and have Laura Davies signed on.

Β 

I am not going to hate on PXG just because I can not afford a set of them and I have never seen one of his clubs much less hit one. It will be interesting to see how Lydia does with them this year. Heck if they do not make it some of us may be able to afford a set at the thrift store in 10 years or so. Not wishing Mr Parsons any bad luck just stating the facts

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I am with everyone here, PXG is not a bad company and they do make good equipment, it is very expensive, Sadena Parks was probably one of the first LPGA players with PXG equipment, I remember seeing her at the Lotte Championship in Hawaii a couple of years ago with the PXG brand, she is a very nice lady as well...we (at the trials) were able to hit the PXG driver, it felt good, but it didn't work for my swing, a bit too spinny, even with different shafts, it is a really good driver, I was able to hit a 6 iron and it didn't feel any different than any other forged club, it was very accurate though...but more power to PXG for signing Lydia...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD:Β Callaway AI Smole TD 15*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD:Β Callaway AI Smoke TD 20*, Denali white 70g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS:Β Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES:Β Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER:Β SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25",Β Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago and White Hot Pro V-Line as back ups)
BALL:Β Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Not trying to be flippant but that PXG commercial is quite off-putting. Now golf is such a great game that I doubt it or any tv commercial for that matter could make or break someone's interest, but hearing some angry old guy grumbling in a voice-over about sexy golf clubs, the net effect cannot be positive. If it is, then stop the world I'm getting off.

Β 

You're talking about a bad ad put out by an ad company, not the equipment company itself). All types of companies put out cr*ppy ads now and again. 'Still don't see how a high end niche equipment company is bad for the game.

Β 

Frankly, I'm more put off by the regular equipment companies that keep yacking about adding 10 yards to my drives and tee shots. After a decade we're hitting it, what, 100 yards further than 10 years ago? How is bad sexy ad worse than (not) longer ad?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat)Β - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I heard Lee Trevino comment once that among his life lessons was one he learned from his Marine Corps. experience, "I don't go lookin' for trouble, but I'm not very good at backin' up." Bob Parsons, the founder of PXG is an ex-Marine. The numbering on his clubs (0311 on his irons is a Marine Corps. designation for an M16 rifle) reflects how he thinks. I find the style and edgy marketing of PXG to be completely consistent with Bob Parsons and his Go Daddy background. Nobody is required to like him, his clubs, his style, or his sort of "screw conventional thinking", but I for one, find it kind of refreshing.

Β 

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

It's called product placement and name recognition. And that sells clubs.

Β 

I get what you are saying but the above poster is wrong in thinking that those ladies sell clubs.

Β 

I have seen some marketing data on the subject and in general the women don't move clubs, especially those women. Those women are actually looked down upon or turned off by the average female golfer. The only real attention they attract is from men.

Β 

I get what you are saying but the above poster is wrong in thinking that those ladies sell clubs.

Β 

I have seen some marketing data on the subject and in general the women don't move clubs, especially those women. Those women are actually looked down upon or turned off by the average female golfer. The only real attention they attract is from men.

Subliminal advertising is real and it works. Watch televised golf and then go to your golf store. You will be drawn to the brands you just saw on TV even though you do not realize it.

Titleist TSR3 9Β° Tensei Pro Blue 60Β 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5Β° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19Β° Β hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23Β° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50Β° F & 56Β° M SM9 60Β°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Β 

Β 

Β 

They are driving innovation and encouraging custom-fitting. Seems good for the game.

Β 

I reserve the right to continually laught at PXG for their first driver though. Trust me Bob, we know that no one else but PXG could have had unlimited time and an unlimited budget and given the world a $700 driver than is shorter than anything not sold at Wal-Mart.

Ping G410 LSTΒ 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Β 

Β 

Β 

I'm guessing it's like getting a Ferrari with automatic transmission..

Blade irons but plays like cavity irons.

Β 

Woman's Golf is getting lot of popularity in ASIA..

This is a very interesting move by PXG. I'll be intrigued to see the results. The company is definitely choosing the path less traveled when it comes to everything, but it seems to be working so far. Most golf companies will tell you "off the record" that LPGA players don't move product. PXG must know something everyone else doesn't. Good for them to want to include more female players on their staff. It's very admirable this day in age.

Β 

Try telling Callaway that Paige Spiranac who at this point isn't even "tour good" doesn't move golf clubs. She get's their name out their big time.

Β 

Try telling Taylormade that Natalie Gulbis didn't move clubs for them.

Β 

Try telling whoever signs Liz Elmassian isn't going to sell clubs for them.

Β 

Β 

See where I'm going here.

Β 

I'll bite, even though the original poster said LPGA players, who buys Callaway clubs because Paige does?

Β 

Not a single one. Other than 100 people on this forum no one has ever heard of Paige Spirinac and never will.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5Β°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex,Β Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby Max Milled 54Β° & 58Β°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

This is a very interesting move by PXG. I'll be intrigued to see the results. The company is definitely choosing the path less traveled when it comes to everything, but it seems to be working so far. Most golf companies will tell you "off the record" that LPGA players don't move product. PXG must know something everyone else doesn't. Good for them to want to include more female players on their staff. It's very admirable this day in age.

Β 

Try telling Callaway that Paige Spiranac who at this point isn't even "tour good" doesn't move golf clubs. She get's their name out their big time.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I'll bite, even though the original poster said LPGA players, who buys Callaway clubs because Paige does?

Β 

Not a single one. Other than 100 people on this forum no one has ever heard of Paige Spirinac and never will.

Β 

She has a bigger Instagram account that all but a few people in the golf world. Can't discount that.

Ping G410 LSTΒ 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

She has a bigger Instagram account that all but a few people in the golf world. Can't discount that.

Β 

And that's because she puts out pics of herself in tight clothes, not because she's a golfer.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5Β°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex,Β Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex,Β Maltby Max Milled 54Β° & 58Β°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Β 

Β 

Β 

I'm guessing it's like getting a Ferrari with automatic transmission..

Blade irons but plays like cavity irons.

Β 

Woman's Golf is getting lot of popularity in ASIA..

Β 

I thought all Ferraris have 'automatic' transmission now?

Β 

They are driving innovation and encouraging custom-fitting. Seems good for the game.

Β 

I reserve the right to continually laught at PXG for their first driver though. Trust me Bob, we know that no one else but PXG could have had unlimited time and an unlimited budget and given the world a $700 driver than is shorter than anything not sold at Wal-Mart.

Β 

All OEM's are doing that and NOT charging $3k for a set of sticks.

Β 

Β 

Subliminal advertising is real and it works. Watch televised golf and then go to your golf store. You will be drawn to the brands you just saw on TV even though you do not realize it.

Β 

Sorry wasn't debating that at all nor trying to debate getting your logo on as many people as possible.

And that's because she puts out pics of herself in tight clothes, not because she's a golfer.

And those tight clothes have the Callaway logo on them and are seen by a large audience. Job done. So we have a problem with this girl but it is/was ok for them to sponsor Alice Cooper?

Β 

Β 

And those tight clothes have the Callaway logo on them and are seen by a large audience. Job done. So we have a problem with this girl but it is/was ok for them to sponsor Alice Cooper?

Β 

I don't have a problem with her I just doubt she is helping move Callaway product. Especially golf clubs, which is the first contention made that I responded to. I doubt Alice Cooper and Bill Gates did as well.

Working in a retail store for 15 years maybe only once or twice did anybody come in for a product a tour player uses, and never once did a woman. We as sales people had way more influence than any tour player did. The millions oems spend on contracts is pretty much a waste of money. I don't care for Nike in anyway so we never sold it.

Working in a retail store for 15 years maybe only once or twice did anybody come in for a product a tour player uses, and never once did a woman. We as sales people had way more influence than any tour player did. The millions oems spend on contracts is pretty much a waste of money. I don't care for Nike in anyway so we never sold it.

Are you sure? I would be willing to bet that at your local PGA SS they sell more Nike, UnderArmor, FootJoy than they do the PGA Tour brand of clothing. Why is that?

Β 

Β 

Β 

There is a $22 billion dollar company out there that begs to differ.

Β 

Golf might be on the fringe but you are discounting the most established marketing method there is.

0811X will be released in a few months time. And I know they are considering to offer custom wedges, but they won't be cheap at all. Initial plan was to offer exactly what their pro could have, which is custom grind and bounce completely milled from a block of steel. My brother makes putter this way and it costs him a lot, so I can only imagine the complaints and the bashing in here once these custom wedges are announced.

Β 

I don't know why Parson's balance sheet and profits is of such a concern at all to any of us who is not involved in any way in the company. To me, if they roll out good products, I ride on it and be thankful. I don't know Bob himself and it looks like a lot of people does not like him. But I cannot judge the person until I know him personally. Public appearance and demeanor can be deceiving at times.

Β 

This is my personal opinion, though...

Β 

And a fine opinion it is. Great post

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

Β 

There is a $22 billion dollar company out there that begs to differ.

Β 

Golf might be on the fringe but you are discounting the most established marketing method there is.

Β 

If you see outside of golf AND outside of the US of A, the figure would be much larger...

Β 

You'll be surprised how social media sell products in Asia.