2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The M1 440 is Long AND Forgiving, I'm Impressed!!

Milez28

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you get the weights from? How much additional weight did you add and has it helped?

Found them from an eBay seller. He has 17 gram, 13 gram, 10.5 gram, and 6.5 gram weights. $13.50 each, but 10% off if you by 2 or more. I got a 6.5 and 17 to mess around with.

I just now weighed the heads of my SLDR 430 and M1 440 on my coffee scale at work, and the M1 is 3grams lighter. I have no way of measuring swing weight though. But the 2 weights that come with the M1 are 14g and 16g. So I'll have a 6.5g, 14g, 16, and 17g weight to mess around with and find a winning combination. The heavier the better right now, because it definitely feels like more than a 3gram head weight difference when I swing the two.

Just weighed the 2 shafts I use in each. The shaft (plus grip and adapter tip) in my SLDR is 119 grams, while the shaft in my M1 is 121 grams. Kinda funny to me, that the total weight of each club is exactly similar. The shaft in the M1 is MAYBE 1/4" shorter than the SLDR.

Gonna stop in a PGA Tour Superstore/Golf Galaxy tonight to just have them measure the swing weights.

I got a tour 440 head with the face that is slightly rougher than retail models and it is amazingly low spin, but the 460 is definitely more forgiving for me. Going to list the 10.5 440 on bst soon. I tend to be a high spin player and have hit some absolute bombs with this thing and could easily just goto a higher spinning shaft but I like the feel of my tensei white too much to change.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom

I've always wanted to say this about a golf club on a golf forum: "This driver has allowed me to see places on the golf course that I've never seen before." It's the longest, straightest driver that I've ever hit. I was fit for a M1 430 last year, and it's aight...but this M1 440... BRUH... whole nother level. The M1 430 was the lowest spinning thing in the shop when I got fit last November, so I "self-fit" for the 440 when the 150% trade-in promotion came along about a month ago. With the same Accra shaft, my spin rate went from 2800 to 2300. With the HZRDUS Black 65 6.5, my spin dropped from the 2300 to right around 2000 - PERFECT numbers for my "launch conditions." I haven't been this excited about a driver since my SLDR 430, but this is even more forgiving and much, much longer. It's a keeper, and I might pull a conspicuous consumption move and buy a backup since I love it so much.

lmpqptc.png

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

I've always wanted to say this about a golf club on a golf forum: "This driver has allowed me to see places on the golf course that I've never seen before." It's the longest, straightest driver that I've ever hit. I was fit for a M1 430 last year, and it's aight...but this M1 440... BRUH... whole nother level. The M1 430 was the lowest spinning thing in the shop when I got fit last November, so I "self-fit" for the 440 when the 150% trade-in promotion came along about a month ago. With the same Accra shaft, my spin rate went from 2800 to 2300. With the HZRDUS Black 65 6.5, my spin dropped from the 2300 to right around 2000 - PERFECT numbers for my "launch conditions." I haven't been this excited about a driver since my SLDR 430, but this is even more forgiving and much, much longer. It's a keeper, and I might pull a conspicuous consumption move and buy a backup since I love it so much.

lmpqptc.png

How do you like the M2 Tour fairway with the Hzrdus black?

Kyle

Taylor Made M6, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5, 75g
Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
TaylorMade TP5X

I have had my 17' M1 440 for about a month now. Got it as a backup to my Nike Flex 440 since it kept coming apart. So I have spent the last month trying to work the M1 in with every chance I have, and I still can not get any consistency with it.

It's a 10.5 with HZRDUS Yellow 65g 6.0. The Nike has HZRDUS T1100 65g 6.0. I can absolutely murder the ball with the Nike and get the shot shape I want most of the time, and I just can't get any feel on the club head with the M1... Contact feels very weak and I don't feel the compression at all. I can't seem to get it to draw no matter what I tried. I do admit that once in a while I catch one solid, and it is a bit longer than the Nike. I think that's one of the main reason I haven't given up on it.

Everyone I know who's using one absolutely swears by it.... so what am I doing wrong?

Have you moved the weights around? I'd start by moving the back weight all the way back.

I moved it back 1 click. Already hitting it plenty high so I didn't want to get it too much higher.

Have you considered changing shafts? T1100 and the Yellow are different profiles. You could loft it down, that would lower launch and spin if you already hit it high.

I don't think T1100 and the Yellow are different profiles. Both are counter weighted version of the Black, albeit T1100 has different material and considered to be Black on steroid.

In any case, I was planning to put the T1100 in it eventually but since I am hitting it so poorly at the moment, I am very hesitant to mess with the Nike setup. I actually have a universal tip on the T1100 so it's an easy swap.. more of a challenge to put it back on the Nike with the same exact setting if things don't go well.

OK, I am going to bite the bullet and give it a go and see what happens.

I think I finally got this thing figured out.. it wasn't the shaft.. it was me. Turned out that this 440 head is a lot less forgiving than the Nike Flex, which sounded and felt the same if you hit pretty much anywhere on the face. I wasn't making good contact with the Nike and didn't even realize it since the feel was the same and didn't lose so much distance to sound the alarm. The M1 didn't let me get away with any of those poor contacts and exposed my problem in a big way. Tweaked the swing a little and the driver really came alive. Hopefully I can carry out the tweak in my round tomorrow and get some real world data.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

• 4 weeks later...

Some guys have reported good results with two weights in back

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

Bought an m1 440 based on this thread and... just sold it.

Found it to be incredibly unforgiving. It went a long way but it just felt hard to hit. Replaced it with a 2016 m2 which feels automatic in comparison

I would definitely say you need to find the center far more than not to like the 440. It's a single digit player's driver, and is VERY low spin. It is forgiving but to the point where you can miss a shade high/low or 1/2 inch off your spot without penal results. It's not M2, Ping G, Epic type forgiving where you can miss it by a lot and still be okay. It is however, easy to move either way, very low spin, and very long when struck properly.

Found it to be incredibly unforgiving. It went a long way but it just felt hard to hit. Replaced it with a 2016 m2 which feels automatic in comparison

I would definitely say you need to find the center far more than not to like the 440. It's a single digit player's driver, and is VERY low spin. It is forgiving but to the point where you can miss a shade high/low or 1/2 inch off your spot without penal results. It's not M2, Ping G, Epic type forgiving where you can miss it by a lot and still be okay. It is however, easy to move either way, very low spin, and very long when struck properly.

Yea that sounds right, I guess I don't see why you would choose to play a club like that- clearly most tour players agree with going with the more forgiving options.

I have the 440 in 8.5 with the 7x atmos black. I was fitted for it on trackman. I loved it when I left the store. Haven't been able to hit this club to save my life since then. Been trying to play with the adjustments to see if I can get better results. I picked the 440 over the Ping G LS Tech and the Epic Sz because I was getting about 8-10 extra yards. I wish I would have went with either of the other two. I haven't found this driver to be the least bit forgiving.

Yea that sounds right, I guess I don't see why you would choose to play a club like that- clearly most tour players agree with going with the more forgiving options.

Because the spin rates are lower. If I played on fairways that gave me 40 yards of roll, it would be an option to loft down with the higher spin head to hit it lower since I would get it all back on the ground. Unfortunately where we are at, it's an all airial game. Also the smaller head is just easier to square up for some. Guys like Adam Scott and Alex Noran play 440 or smaller heads as well. For some high speed players it's hard to consistently square up the high moi heads.

Went back out to the range today with the M1. I moved both of the weights to the back rail as far as they would go. Purely because I saw Justin Rose with this set up and I was curious. It felt like a completely different driver. Launching it high and long. On not sure what my spin numbers were but It seemed to be a huge improvement. If anyone of struggling with the 440 give this a try. It seemed to help me tremendously

Wow, what a club. I'm blown away. Unbelievably forgiving, just wants to go straight. Came from a tour SLDR 460 9.5* now playing 440 9.5* with the same Speeder 652x shaft from the SLDR. The look at address is almost identical - I went for this head as it's the most 'filet mignon' shape as opposed to a pancake or frying pan.

Distance is about the same (not getting anything crazy) but I am hitting 75% or more of the fairways his far. It's been 5 rounds now, all under 74, and I can count the misses on one hand. Unreal.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I got mine, I set it up and then pretty much havn't changed the settings.. I set the weight forward and nuetral and opened the face a click or 2... I have been making swing changes and lately I have been having a bad case of the lefts. I started looking at different shafts, even thinking about the M2... and finally, it dawned on me to try adjusting the damn thing. So I did. I moved the tracks back and a little bit toe side and actually set it back to neutral on the hosel and the results were great. WAY more forgiving as my Driver miss is a high toe anyway, launch may have increased a tiny bit but spin doesn't seem to really be any higher and the flight is more of a steady flat arcing than the previous piercing flight I was getting. The hard draws have mellowed and balls that I'd miss that I'd expect to peel off right are pretty much straight pushes now. It feels more stable and I feel like I have better control of the clubface through impact.

There's only 1 round on a damp course to go from but the carry distance seems to have increased and the driver feels better. In this setting it really reminds me of last years M2 but with lower spin, which... is great because I loved the M2 but ultimately I went away from it because I was losing distance because it was spinning a bit too much for me.

Where did you get the weights from? How much additional weight did you add and has it helped?

Found them from an eBay seller. He has 17 gram, 13 gram, 10.5 gram, and 6.5 gram weights. $13.50 each, but 10% off if you by 2 or more. I got a 6.5 and 17 to mess around with.

I just now weighed the heads of my SLDR 430 and M1 440 on my coffee scale at work, and the M1 is 3grams lighter. I have no way of measuring swing weight though. But the 2 weights that come with the M1 are 14g and 16g. So I'll have a 6.5g, 14g, 16, and 17g weight to mess around with and find a winning combination. The heavier the better right now, because it definitely feels like more than a 3gram head weight difference when I swing the two.

Just weighed the 2 shafts I use in each. The shaft (plus grip and adapter tip) in my SLDR is 119 grams, while the shaft in my M1 is 121 grams. Kinda funny to me, that the total weight of each club is exactly similar. The shaft in the M1 is MAYBE 1/4" shorter than the SLDR.

Gonna stop in a PGA Tour Superstore/Golf Galaxy tonight to just have them measure the swing weights.

Very helpful....thank you

WITB

9.0* Callaway Big Bertha Fuji Speeder Evolution
16* Callaway BB Alpha 816 Aldila Rogue I/O
3 - PW Nike Blade S400
54* Vokey SM4 54.11
58* Vokey SM5 58.11 K grind
Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can 33"
Pro V1x

Yep 8.5 factory setting the mid launch with kiyoshi is perfect solid setup for sure

Thanks fujiman!

Fujiman,

Just curious, what is your swing speed? I played around with the loft and 10.5 still works better than the factory 8.5. Finally got my hands on a Kiyoshi White 65 (04 Flex). Ball flight and dispersion was noticeably better than my Diamana. I got a few extra yards, but not enough to bring me a club or two closer to the pin at this point. I'm sure there's plenty of optimizing to do since I've only hit about 20 balls on the range before taking it out for two rounds.

I have one in my bag right now that my dad "loaned" me to get it out of his house so he would stop trying to play it. It's going home with him. The damn thing is a duck hook machine, even having messed with the weights. Went back to my 910D2. Not the longest thing in the world but until I find my 'new' driver that's what's staying in the bag.

• 1 month later...

... mad as hell in only a way that a fellow golfer would understand. Got TWO new clubs to try out today - the M1 440 with Kuro Kago 60X TiNi, and M2 Tour 3 wood with Fujikora Pro Blue 73X. Took these and my control clubs, the M1 430 with Aldila 125MSI TX, and my Sonartec 16 degree 4 wood, and my MP 14 7 iron with Tour Issue X100.

Get to the PGA Tour Super Store on Linton (Boyton Beach, FL) at 6:30 pm, and they close at 8:00 pm. I'm super stoked - I have 1.5 hours and will almost certainly have the range to myself..... Or so I thought..

Check in, and Kevin says, "... I will only give you 30 minutes, because I need to clean the range and get ready for closing at 8:00 pm. After 30 minutes, I'll set you up in one of the smaller fitting bays."

As soon as I get warmed up with a 7 iron - I'm grooving - I'm excited - I nuked them - got interrupted by a business call. Put the phone down finally, and hit my first few 3 woods - not too bad, lower flighted versus my M2 3wood which is what I wanted to see. Decided to pull out the new 440 - its almost the witching hour - first swing - snap hook. 2nd swing, snap hook. I'm like "WTF". Pull out my 430 - bam - reasonably straight and reasonably blistered.

Dude comes over - " got to shut you down, go to the other little bay". Move my gear over there, different monitor, smaller area, hit my 7 iron and immediately notice the monitor isn't nearly the same as what the other one range bay indicates. Now I'm super pissed, because it didn't start well and there is all this "hype" on this thread I wanted to get sum of. I watch Kevin start "cleaning" the range, hit another couple shots, pissed about this monitor being off, pissed about having to change. And low and behold - Ol'e Kev is done cleaning the "range" in less than 5 minutes. It is 7:05 PM and range is shut down, and I'm stuck in this little bay, trying to "work-out" why new club is snapping.

OK - pull out my new 3 wood, indicates reasonable direction, only flying 220 - which is garbage. Pull out new 440 (Neutral Loft, Neutral spin) - snap hook. Snap Hook, Large Hook, Snap hook. WTF.

Pull out my M1 430 125 MSI TX - Straight, Straight, Draw, Fade. Distances aren't reading near the other range, nor what I see on course, but direction seemed about right.

Install my 125 MSI TX into the New 440 - big banana Hook, repeat, repeat. Never got one to go straight or fade, even after setting up with an open face.

Venting over. You ever have great expectations and get somewhere and it all go wrong? I'll try again tomorrow when the regular side is open and Kevin ins't trying to ruin customers evenings. I am perplexed why this head is hooking severely from tonights effort. Hopefully tomorrow will be different. Jim

spin reduction is the answer..that and its easier to square up than the M2 etc........ still finding more fairways with length than any other driver ive owned... and i love the feel when middled.... and i hate the m2 when hit anywhere

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

spin reduction is the answer..that and its easier to square up than the M2 etc........ still finding more fairways with length than any other driver ive owned... and i love the feel when middled.... and i hate the m2 when hit anywhere

I still play it as well. All season, the same head.

I have one in my bag right now that my dad "loaned" me to get it out of his house so he would stop trying to play it. It's going home with him. The damn thing is a duck hook machine, even having messed with the weights. Went back to my 910D2. Not the longest thing in the world but until I find my 'new' driver that's what's staying in the bag.

I have the 460 version and have smothered more shots with this then any driver. Just straight left almost into the ground.