2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The M1 440 is Long AND Forgiving, I'm Impressed!!

Milez28

.... put my 440 9.5 on Ebay, sold it, and bought a 440 8.5 in the same day. Looking forward to this head and my shaft options: Diamana B70 X, Fujikora Pro tour Spec 73 X, Kuro Kage XT 70 TX, and HZRDUS 6.5 X Yellow. .... in about a week I'll be able to start honing down the selection. Jim

Please post your findings!

Here it is so far. I am using the PGATSS hitting bay monitors, which two different staff members tell me they are about 1000 rpms high reading driver. One of the young staff their, typically hits around 1500 rpms, switches to the regular bays, and is 2500. So while I have may pictures of the screen readings and tabular data, I would prefer not to share those as I know they indicate a massive spin and shot height error. That said - this is what the monitors indicate as +/- per shaft:

I have these to work with; 2016 TM 430 8.5 (199 g), and now the 2017 TM 440 8.5 (198 g) I weighed the heads tonight on my digital scale.

Shafts: Diamana B70X, Kuro Kage XT 70 TX, Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec X, HZDRUS 6.5 Yellow.

The 430 head seems to like the Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec X the best - highest accumulation of 280+ drives.

The 440 head is a toss-up between the Diamana B70X, and the KKXT 70 TX - with B70X barely accumulating more 280+ drives. toss up really.

The 2016 430 head for each shaft seems to indicate on the monitors, a few more yards. For instance, I have an accumulation of more "280" type drives on the 430 head, versus the 440 head overall.

* All head settings were lowest loft, horizontal slider 2 clicks favoring draw, vertical slider 2 clicks towards lowest spin. These seem to be the "sweet-spot" for my strike. I then moved the vertical slide towards lowest spin, and didn't really see any difference on the monitor.

I have played one round with the 430 head and the Fuji Pro 73 Tour Spec X, and actually, this shaft feels the best in both heads. On course, with about a one-club lazy breeze, I hit some pretty awesome drives, but also a snap hook, and a slice. On one par 5 down wind, I hit a drive that carried long, boring/flat trajectory, and plugged at about 285 (wet landing area). Upwind, I saw some mild ballooning, getting me to 260 total.

From this one round I can tell two things, the launch monitor shot height indication is way off.. the launch monitor typically reads at 50 yards plus high, and I hit several nice/flat type of drives. Not real low-bullets, but just above the tall tree level. I actually thought I could either back the spin slider up, or increase loft to between Standard and Lowest. This shaft does seem to feel / react a bit "looser" on course, than the impression I was getting on the monitor. So, I definitely want to see the XT and B70X in action, both heads as well on the course.

And for an encore because we can do this these days - I have an SLDR 430 9 degree coming to add to my test impressions. I will also put my Aldila 125MSI 70 TX back into the mix.

The Diamana B70X feels the boardiest - but still smooth. The KK XT 70 TX feels great/smooth and still stable/stiff. The Fuji feels amazing, but a bit loose in play. I know from playing a bunch, the 125 MSI feels like a telephone pole. Jim

+Bonus Edit: Also got to put the TM M2 Tour Fairway 3, 15 degree, Fuji Pro 73 X into play for the first time. Hands down the best flying 3 wood I've ever had. Great carry upwind - no ballooning at all compared to standard M2 head.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... put my 440 9.5 on Ebay, sold it, and bought a 440 8.5 in the same day. Looking forward to this head and my shaft options: Diamana B70 X, Fujikora Pro tour Spec 73 X, Kuro Kage XT 70 TX, and HZRDUS 6.5 X Yellow. .... in about a week I'll be able to start honing down the selection. Jim

Please post your findings!

Here it is so far. I am using the PGATSS hitting bay monitors, which two different staff members tell me they are about 1000 rpms high reading driver. One of the young staff their, typically hits around 1500 rpms, switches to the regular bays, and is 2500. So while I have may pictures of the screen readings and tabular data, I would prefer not to share those as I know they indicate a massive spin and shot height error. That said - this is what the monitors indicate as +/- per shaft:

I have these to work with; 2016 TM 430 8.5 (199 g), and now the 2017 TM 440 8.5 (198 g) I weighed the heads tonight on my digital scale.

Shafts: Diamana B70X, Kuro Kage XT 70 TX, Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec X, HZDRUS 6.5 Yellow.

The 430 head seems to like the Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec X the best - highest accumulation of 280+ drives.

The 440 head is a toss-up between the Diamana B70X, and the KKXT 70 TX - with B70X barely accumulating more 280+ drives. toss up really.

The 2016 430 head for each shaft seems to indicate on the monitors, a few more yards. For instance, I have an accumulation of more "280" type drives on the 430 head, versus the 440 head overall.

* All head settings were lowest loft, horizontal slider 2 clicks favoring draw, vertical slider 2 clicks towards lowest spin. These seem to be the "sweet-spot" for my strike. I then moved the vertical slide towards lowest spin, and didn't really see any difference on the monitor.

I have played one round with the 430 head and the Fuji Pro 73 Tour Spec X, and actually, this shaft feels the best in both heads. On course, with about a one-club lazy breeze, I hit some pretty awesome drives, but also a snap hook, and a slice. On one par 5 down wind, I hit a drive that carried long, boring/flat trajectory, and plugged at about 285 (wet landing area). Upwind, I saw some mild ballooning, getting me to 260 total.

From this one round I can tell two things, the launch monitor shot height indication is way off.. the launch monitor typically reads at 50 yards plus high, and I hit several nice/flat type of drives. Not real low-bullets, but just above the tall tree level. I actually thought I could either back the spin slider up, or increase loft to between Standard and Lowest. This shaft does seem to feel / react a bit "looser" on course, than the impression I was getting on the monitor. So, I definitely want to see the XT and B70X in action, both heads as well on the course.

And for an encore because we can do this these days - I have an SLDR 430 9 degree coming to add to my test impressions. I will also put my Aldila 125MSI 70 TX back into the mix.

The Diamana B70X feels the boardiest - but still smooth. The KK XT 70 TX feels great/smooth and still stable/stiff. The Fuji feels amazing, but a bit loose in play. I know from playing a bunch, the 125 MSI feels like a telephone pole. Jim

+Bonus Edit: Also got to put the TM M2 Tour Fairway 3, 15 degree, Fuji Pro 73 X into play for the first time. Hands down the best flying 3 wood I've ever had. Great carry upwind - no ballooning at all compared to standard M2 head.

Great write-up! Thanks! Cant wait to put my soon to come 440 head with kkdc 60x in play against my ping g ls tec. Ive played 18 with a 440 tour ad mt 6x combo and it was one of my best driving rounds I've ever had. If the kk doesn't workout, im gonna hunt for an ad mt.

Thanks - I run into a swing/stamina issue so I just can't stand in there and hit balls for two hours. It took me about 1 hour to warm up with my 6 iron, start hitting drivers, and strive for 3-5 good swings, then photo the head/shaft, screen, swap shafts, repeat. For yesterday my progression was: Warm-up, Diamana B70X, Fuji Pro 73X, KK XT 70 TX, paused, then went back down: KK, Fuji, B70X. So I'm swing exhausted at the end of the hour. Maybe I'll pay the $49/hour once I get the SLDR 430 head and, get "fit" for my own equipment on the better studio bay.

Huge respect for the guys that have the ability to scientifically map out, chart, study, swing, shaft, club head, and ball flight characteristics! They are doing us a huge favor and literally, seven hundreds of $$$ for us! For what I have access to now, I'm just trying to get max-potential and trend data, then need to get outside more and see how the balls fly going upwind. Jim

So would a 12 cap who hits a driver about 250-260 benefit from the 440? Currently playing the 17 M1 460 but find the head a little large for m liking.

The 460 is miles more forgiving then the 440.

440 is just to low spin I found. If you are hitting it on the screws every time then yah it is good. But if you are not then it is punishing. Balls just fall out of the sky on off center hits

well that settles that then :-). Experiment over before it even started.

I wouldn’t discount the 440 because of what one guy says. For me personally, I was able to find the Fairway much more often with the 440 because I liked looking down at it much more. Do yourself a favor and test them both out.

just bought one , 440 m1 9.5 hzrdus 6.0 , not sure about shaft yet,

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

thought it was the black but it is the yellow, I never knew taylor put the black with yellow on there stock shafts .

I have an 2016 m2 with rogue , I will try both shafts nice to have options

taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60

So would a 12 cap who hits a driver about 250-260 benefit from the 440? Currently playing the 17 M1 460 but find the head a little large for m liking.

440 is just to low spin I found. If you are hitting it on the screws every time then yah it is good. But if you are not then it is punishing. Balls just fall out of the sky on off center hits

I wouldn't discount the 440 because of what one guy says. For me personally, I was able to find the Fairway much more often with the 440 because I liked looking down at it much more. Do yourself a favor and test them both out.

would love to try one out, just don't want to spend the $ and then find out it's not what I am looking for. I just put the 17 M1 460 into play a month or so ago which has been great, though I am not always the most consistent the driver. Perhaps if GolfTown is clearing them out at Christmas.

I wouldn't discount the 440 because of what one guy says. For me personally, I was able to find the Fairway much more often with the 440 because I liked looking down at it much more. Do yourself a favor and test them both out.

would love to try one out, just don't want to spend the $ and then find out it's not what I am looking for. I just put the 17 M1 460 into play a month or so ago which has been great, though I am not always the most consistent the driver. Perhaps if GolfTown is clearing them out at Christmas.

They have mint demos at golftown in Canada on for 300cdn. Most have barely been hit and had hzrdus 6.5 yellows non handcrafted.

did not work for me too low spin, for sale soon

taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60

• 1 month later...

I was going to wait on the m3 440, but I am not sold on the twist face with my miss.

Current set-up is epic sz set at 8 deg with pro orange 70tx tipped 1/2". I hit some good drives, but ball flight is still little high (not spinny tho.)

I am leaning towards a tour issued m1 440 8.5 degree with either a 60 tx pro white or orange tipped 1/2".

I have read through the thread and would appreciate anyone's input on me going the m1 440 8.5 route with those shafts.

Thanks!!

I was going to wait on the m3 440, but I am not sold on the twist face with my miss.

Current set-up is epic sz set at 8 deg with pro orange 70tx tipped 1/2". I hit some good drives, but ball flight is still little high (not spinny tho.)

I am leaning towards a tour issued m1 440 8.5 degree with either a 60 tx pro white or orange tipped 1/2".

I have read through the thread and would appreciate anyone's input on me going the m1 440 8.5 route with those shafts.

Thanks!!

Surprised to hear a high flight with that beast setup! Have you digitally lofted that club? Should be a mid flight bullets launcher

Thanks!!

DJ hits his at 140+ feet high....you sure on the height issue?

Thanks!!

Surprised to hear a high flight with that beast setup! Have you digitally lofted that club? Should be a mid flight bullets launcher

Will certainly have it checked. The other reason for wanting to switch, is I have always liked the slightly smaller heads.

Thanks!!

Not sure I follow the question.

Am I sure that I hit my epic subzero high?

Thanks!!

Exactly....if DJ hits his at 140+ feet and has a land angle of under 45*, your thought on what you consider high may or may not be accurate.

Thanks!!

Exactly....if DJ hits his at 140+ feet and has a land angle of under 45*, your thought on what you consider high may or may not be accurate.

Good point.

I’ll have to check on trackman, but I believe decent angle is greater then 45.

• 3 weeks later...

hmm I'm torn between trying this m1 440 out and the 2017 m2 (my miss is right with a baby fade or push so the draw biased intrigues me over the 2016 m2 fade bias).

I have higher spin and a mid-level ball flight. I don't have numbers but i have been on a launch monitor a year ago and have seen low 3k to high 2k, but this was a while ago before i worked on my driver swing.

my current driver is a 915D2 and im currently averaging around 250. with a low 100's high 90's swing speed. I dont swing out my shoes.

After going through 17 pages....

-Does this club favor a higher swing speed?

-Can you say this club requires more trial and error (tweaking of settings and shafts) and learning curve than the M2?

Sim2 Max (9 Deg) w Hzrdous Smoke RDX 6.0 70g
-----------------------------
Sim2 Max 3 wood | Hzrdous Blue RDX 6.0
Sim2 Max 5 wood | Ventus Blue  

Titliest T 200 4 iron AMT Black S300
Titliest T150 5-PW AMT Black S300
TM P790 4-PW Modus 120s
TM MG2 54/58 wedges - Modus 130
SC Newport 2 / SC Phantom X 9.5

hmm I'm torn between trying this m1 440 out and the 2017 m2 (my miss is right with a baby fade or push so the draw biased intrigues me over the 2016 m2 fade bias).

I have higher spin and a mid-level ball flight. I don't have numbers but i have been on a launch monitor a year ago and have seen low 3k to high 2k, but this was a while ago before i worked on my driver swing.

my current driver is a 915D2 and im currently averaging around 250. with a low 100's high 90's swing speed. I dont swing out my shoes.

After going through 17 pages....

-Does this club favor a higher swing speed?

-Can you say this club requires more trial and error (tweaking of settings and shafts) and learning curve than the M2?

I don't really see a draw bias with my 17' M2. I gamed the 440 for awhile and the longest were longer than the M2's longest. The 440 definately curves more, launches lower, spins less in all settings I found. I game the M2 now, I put a very low spinning anti left shaft in it and it's very straight. My typical flight is a flat fade. I can hit it lower if need be but it just likes to launch nice and go straight.

The M2 is def. more user friendly.

I’m no TM fan but the 440 is one of the best looking heads I’ve seen in a while. Haven’t had a chance to test it. I tested the standard 2016 M1 and it was one of the worst feeling drivers I have ever hit (opinions vary). Is the 2017 version improved in this area? Anybody tested it HZRDUS yellow?

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

I'm no TM fan but the 440 is one of the best looking heads I've seen in a while. Haven't had a chance to test it. I tested the standard 2016 M1 and it was one of the worst feeling drivers I have ever hit (opinions vary). Is the 2017 version improved in this area? Anybody tested it HZRDUS yellow?

It feels much better. I gamed the 440 most of this season and felt much better than the 16' M1 460 and 430.

In addition to the improved feel, in my opinion, so was the sound on the 440. Will be interested to see a comparison between the 17 and 18 440 when available.