The M1 440 is Long AND Forgiving, I'm Impressed!!

Milez28

Looking for shaft help...I have new twin babies and not much time to tinker. Always been is high flight/spin player. The only driver I've played for the last few years is the Superdeep 8.5 w/ Rip Alpha 70x. I swore nothing would ever kick this out of my bag. When I'm swinging well, it gives me the best ball flight I'm capable of. I'm now looking for more forgiveness. Any thoughts on how the head compares with SD on launch and spin. Any shaft thoughts or comparisons from people who played the Sd? Thanks!

M1 440 will spin and launch lower than the superdeep. Most people, myself included, don't need a low/low shaft.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for shaft help...I have new twin babies and not much time to tinker. Always been is high flight/spin player. The only driver I've played for the last few years is the Superdeep 8.5 w/ Rip Alpha 70x. I swore nothing would ever kick this out of my bag. When I'm swinging well, it gives me the best ball flight I'm capable of. I'm now looking for more forgiveness. Any thoughts on how the head compares with SD on launch and spin. Any shaft thoughts or comparisons from people who played the Sd? Thanks!

M1 440 will spin and launch lower than the superdeep. Most people, myself included, don't need a low/low shaft.

+1 , even with an ADDI 8x , + aoa, that shaft head combo 1800~1900 borderline too low

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

+1 , even with an ADDI 8x , + aoa, that shaft head combo 1800~1900 borderline too low

I'll preface this by saying the 440 is the longest and most accurate driver I've ever played.

That being said, I definitely agree it is far lower launch and spin than any other head I've played. Not that is a bad thing, but something to consider when selecting head loft, and shaft. I initially had an 8.5* head with a HZRDUS Black 75, which was actually tipped an inch as well. Needless to say the spin was minimal and when I didn't create the optimal launch or strike it was punished.

Made the change to a 9.5* head with an untipped ATMOS Blue 7X and it's night and day.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I'll preface this by saying the 440 is the longest and most accurate driver I've ever played.

That being said, I definitely agree it is far lower launch and spin than any other head I've played. Not that is a bad thing, but something to consider when selecting head loft, and shaft. I initially had an 8.5* head with a HZRDUS Black 75, which was actually tipped an inch as well. Needless to say the spin was minimal and when I didn't create the optimal launch or strike it was punished.

Made the change to a 9.5* head with an untipped ATMOS Blue 7X and it's night and day.

Thanks for the feedback! I just received my 8.5 head and plan on trying it right out of the box with the stock KK Reg. shaft it came with, then try an Aldila RIP Alpha 70S that I've fallen in love with in my R15 430. That shaft feels so good to me, but still launching/spinning high with the R15, so maybe this combo will do the trick?

I also used to have a 8.5 SuperDeep, but the sweet spot was so small I couldn't keep it due to the punishment on mishits. When I did manage to find that spot it was magic, but when I missed by a frog hair it was horrible (much like my sex life, although they always say golf and sex are the only 2 things you can be horrible at yet still enjoy)! I'm hoping for something with the potential of the SD, but with 10 years worth of development/forgiveness added.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I can add to this. The 440 is REALLY low spinning. I have it in 10.5, weight back and the ball is still knuckling on me. This is coming from a 8.5 LTD Pro. The Devotion is definitely on the outs for me with this driver head and I'm going back to Kuro Kage or maybe even an old 757 white speeder.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I can add to this. The 440 is REALLY low spinning. I have it in 10.5, weight back and the ball is still knuckling on me. This is coming from a 8.5 LTD Pro. The Devotion is definitely on the outs for me with this driver head and I'm going back to Kuro Kage or maybe even an old 757 white speeder.

I will add to this in the for what it's worth department. I NEVER thought I would find a club head that would be too low spinning. I have used the superdeep back when and most recently the LTD pro with a 'black tie' shaft. I hit the 2017 M1 at a demo day and loved it ---the weights I might add had been set forward quite a bit and the hosel was set at 2* open dropping the loft from 9.5 to 8.75 --- anyway long story short I had perfect spin and trajectory #'s --- sorry don't remember exactly

So anyway I purchased a 440 head off this BST and a black tie with a TM tip thinking I would see what I saw with the 460 head --- boy was I wrong I played 27 on Saturday for the first time with the M1 440 and got a lot of wimpy nuckle balls that just went no where. Thankfully I read all the posts on this thread and went back to the range moved the draw/fade weight to the middle and the other weight to the back all the way and OMG what a difference -- now I think I have the driver I thought I was getting straight boring ball flight with NO HOOKS. May still have to get a less low spinning shaft but I don't think so. Stay tuned will report back after a few more rounds under my belt.

Anybody have any issues with the 440 looking closed at address in the stock settings? Idk if it's an optical illusion from the white....

Seems to look better if I change the hosel adapter settings to way open...

Might be the lie angle deceiving you? Its 58*, 2* upright than the 460.

58* is pretty upright for driver in general. My LTD Pro is 55.5*

Anybody have any issues with the 440 looking closed at address in the stock settings? Idk if it's an optical illusion from the white....

Yes, I have the same issue. I think it's an optical thing for us. Everyone else says it's square at standard settings.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Yes, I have the same issue. I think it's an optical thing for us. Everyone else says it's square at standard settings.

Not an optical illusion. Your eye-line with the driver is always behind the driver face and therefore 0 degrees will always look closed. Tilt to the left to see how your driver really sits. It's a big reason many of us prefer a driver that's a degree or two open.

I understand this driver a lot better now after putting a softer, higher launch shaft in it. It's not the overwhelming knuckleball machine I thought it was!

For anyone looking into this driver, if you have experience with an M2 you may want to go a degree up and use the loft sleeve to turn it down if needed. I have a 9.5 M2 with a low/mid shaft and my 440 launches about the same height in 10.5.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I understand this driver a lot better now after putting a softer, higher launch shaft in it. It's not the overwhelming knuckleball machine I thought it was!

For anyone looking into this driver, if you have experience with an M2 you may want to go a degree up and use the loft sleeve to turn it down if needed. I have a 9.5 M2 with a low/mid shaft and my 440 launches about the same height in 10.5.

Best drives with this club are real long. Having the same occasional knuckleballer. I am going to bump up the loft. Which shaft did you go to?

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Best drives with this club are real long. Having the same occasional knuckleballer. I am going to bump up the loft. Which shaft did you go to?

I started with a Kuro Kage Dualcore TiNi, played a few rounds with an Oban Devotion, now I'm using a Speeder 757 (white).

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I'm still pretty new to the game, so I need some help understanding this driver.

Everyone I've talked to says, this is a "better players driver", and as a golfer with a handicap in the teens I am better served looking at larger drivers that are more forgiving and I've got an Epic in my bag right now.

The problem is, I've hit this driver at several demo days and I just absolutely stripe it. Am I setting myself up for disappointment by purchasing this driver or could a smaller driver actually be a better fit for me?

I'm still pretty new to the game, so I need some help understanding this driver.

Everyone I've talked to says, this is a "better players driver", and as a golfer with a handicap in the teens I am better served looking at larger drivers that are more forgiving and I've got an Epic in my bag right now.

The problem is, I've hit this driver at several demo days and I just absolutely stripe it. Am I setting myself up for disappointment by purchasing this driver or could a smaller driver actually be a better fit for me?

440cc really isn't that small. You are by no means setting yourself up for failure. Go for it.

I started with the Black tie and hit some of the longest bombs with it but sometimes wouldn't spin enough when I catch it high on the face. I put in my old 757 Evo (blue one) and it increased spin/launch a little but my misses are a little better with it. I had to bench the 757 in my M2 driver because it was too high spin for me but with this 8.5* head it's a better fit.

So I finally had time to tinker. Always loved the R9 SD w/Rip A 70x. Put the Rip A in the 440 and hit it solid but ball was dropping too fast. I tried the stock KK 60g and thought it was too soft. With the RIP A on my mind and in my 3w and Hy, I gambled on the Beta 70x. $60 brand new off the bay. We have a winner. Mid to high flat bombs. Can work it both ways. Playing at 45" no tipping, Z Cord grip, 3 grams of hot melt(heel side on the crown), swinging at D-5 = Perfection. I wanted to post the update because everyone is always seeking new shaft combos but let's not forget older great ones.

Can we revisit the sliding weight adjustments... I know front to back well - all the way back gives more forgiveness. Is everyone still just using the fade draw in the center spot and using the shaft adapter to tweet ball flight?

The fade/draw moves a little bit but does make the club a little more forgiving when it's moved to either side.

I think the best way to go about setting one up is to figure out your front/back weight setting first, then set your loft to match the right ball flight you want. After that you can move the fade/draw weight to make small adjustments (even though I haven't seen it do a whole lot).

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I have an M1 440 9.5 that I have gone back and forth between a 60g Silver Tini and a 70g Black Tie. To me the Silver Tini seems to be too soft and with the black tie I am not exactly happy with the ball flight and distance. With the Black Tie i don't seem to get any roll out whatsoever, the ball looks like it just drops out of the sky makes a big divot in the fairway and rolls about 5-10 feet. I am thinking about going to either an ATMOS 6X in Black or Blue, just cant decide which one. My SS is between 105-110.

I have been going back and forth from my 2016 M2 to my 440 M1. Couldnt get the M1 to launch high enough and it felt harsh to me.

Tried various settings and took out the front weight and placed it in the front/back rail slide along with the other weight. Both are in the back position and now I am getting a great launch and exceptional run out and the head feels great and very forgiving.

My hosel setting had been higher and once I went with both weights I dialed it to the upright lie setting which is square face and 10.5 of loft and as I am tall I like the 60 degree upright lie. If you are having issues trying to elevate this head give this a try.

Huge difference for me.

Ping G430 Max 10K w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Callaway UW 21 degree w ProForce V2HL

Ping G430 9 wood w Speeder EVO6

Srixon U85 6 Hybrid w Recoil 660
Srixon ZX5 7-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind w Recoil 95

Odyssey Jailbird

I have been going back and forth from my 2016 M2 to my 440 M1. Couldnt get the M1 to launch high enough and it felt harsh to me.

Tried various settings and took out the front weight and placed it in the front/back rail slide along with the other weight. Both are in the back position and now I am getting a great launch and exceptional run out and the head feels great and very forgiving.

My hosel setting had been higher and once I went with both weights I dialed it to the upright lie setting which is square face and 10.5 of loft and as I am tall I like the 60 degree upright lie. If you are having issues trying to elevate this head give this a try.

Huge difference for me.

anyone else had success going both weights all the way back?

I have an M1 440 9.5 that I have gone back and forth between a 60g Silver Tini and a 70g Black Tie. To me the Silver Tini seems to be too soft and with the black tie I am not exactly happy with the ball flight and distance. With the Black Tie i don't seem to get any roll out whatsoever, the ball looks like it just drops out of the sky makes a big divot in the fairway and rolls about 5-10 feet. I am thinking about going to either an ATMOS 6X in Black or Blue, just cant decide which one. My SS is between 105-110.

Try a Diamana D+ (New Whiteboard). I Put one in mine and I was astounded at how good the combo is.