2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The M1 440 is Long AND Forgiving, I'm Impressed!!

Milez28

Anyone put both weights in the front and split ?

Side note on my weights , they are only 12 g vs the 15 that come in the 440, with 5 gram of hot melt in the head

So I moved both weights to the front and extended toward the heel and toe

Bottom line makes the head even more forgiving

OTher performance notes , spin went up some as the weight forward lessened my AOA, from 2-3 to about .05-1, which is nice because I'd rather work that up than vs sometime getting too extreme on the AOA. Spins was around ~2400 rpm @ roughly .5 to 1* + AOA

Biggest difference was dispersion, head was already better over last years 430, but the 440 was forgiving for the smaller option , this makes it even more forgiving , very tight dispersion

Wouldn't moving both weights to the front reduce forgiveness? I'd assume moving both weights to the back would increase forgiveness the most...but maybe that's wrong?

TM 2017 M1 440 10.5* Tensei Orange V2 | TM 2017 M2 Tour Issue 9.5* Oban Tour Limited 65X Proto
TM 2016 M2 DF Proto 15* Fuji Rombax P75 | TM Jetspeed Proto 15° ZCom 95
TM 2017 M2 Tour Proto 18* Fuji Rombax P75 | TM Jetspeed Proto 19° ZCom 95
Vega VM-02 Raw 3-PW Modus 120 | Vega RAF-CM Raw 3-PW Nippon SPB
Nike Engage TS 56° & 60° | Nike VR Forged 56° & 60°
Byron Morgan DH89 GS | Byron Morgan DH89 Solid Copper
Best Grips MicroPerf

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Side note on my weights , they are only 12 g vs the 15 that come in the 440, with 5 gram of hot melt in the head

OTher performance notes , spin went up some as the weight forward lessened my AOA, from 2-3 to about .05-1, which is nice because I'd rather work that up than vs sometime getting too extreme on the AOA. Spins was around ~2400 rpm @ roughly .5 to 1* + AOA

Biggest difference was dispersion, head was already better over last years 430, but the 440 was forgiving for the smaller option , this makes it even more forgiving , very tight dispersion

Wouldn't moving both weights to the front reduce forgiveness? I'd assume moving both weights to the back would increase forgiveness the most...but maybe that's wrong?

Depends on the golfer IMOP

Really I'm just changing the way the head feels to me, to move cog even a couple of millimeters takes about 30 grams.

If you moved them to the back possible that weight is going to make the player add loft , flip, etc, the weights just like hot melt are more to influence the feel to the individual golfer more than anything

FOR me the weight moved out, balances just that much more.

Nice thing about moveable weights and a wrench + trackman, trial and error

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Depends on the golfer IMOP

Really I'm just changing the way the head feels to me, to move cog even a couple of millimeters takes about 30 grams.

If you moved them to the back possible that weight is going to make the player add loft , flip, etc, the weights just like hot melt are more to influence the feel to the individual golfer more than anything

FOR me the weight moved out, balances just that much more.

Nice thing about moveable weights and a wrench + trackman, trial and error

Very helpful to know, just goes to show how important tuning the head with a launch monitor is.

TM 2017 M1 440 10.5* Tensei Orange V2 | TM 2017 M2 Tour Issue 9.5* Oban Tour Limited 65X Proto
TM 2016 M2 DF Proto 15* Fuji Rombax P75 | TM Jetspeed Proto 15° ZCom 95
TM 2017 M2 Tour Proto 18* Fuji Rombax P75 | TM Jetspeed Proto 19° ZCom 95
Vega VM-02 Raw 3-PW Modus 120 | Vega RAF-CM Raw 3-PW Nippon SPB
Nike Engage TS 56° & 60° | Nike VR Forged 56° & 60°
Byron Morgan DH89 GS | Byron Morgan DH89 Solid Copper
Best Grips MicroPerf

Can't wait for demo day next Saturday. Can't control in epic. Should have stayed with my old m1 460 with devotion. Look forward to hitting new m1 in 460 and 440

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Can't wait for demo day next Saturday. Can't control in epic. Should have stayed with my old m1 460 with devotion. Look forward to hitting new m1 in 460 and 440

So you have no control with the Epic? Did you get fit or use the Devotion shaft that you seem to hit well in the M1?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

So you have no control with the Epic? Did you get fit or use the Devotion shaft that you seem to hit well in the M1?

I got fit with a DI6X. Can't feel the head with it. I have tried the Rogue, Fuji Green, and a few others. I couldn't feel head weight with any of them. I can time it on the range, but on the course its so inconsistent with me.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

I got fit with a DI6X. Can't feel the head with it. I have tried the Rogue, Fuji Green, and a few others. I couldn't feel head weight with any of them. I can time it on the range, but on the course its so inconsistent with me.

Had the same problem with my 2017 M1. Couldn't feel the head until I added ~16g in additional weight.

So... try either adding weight to the head or go way down in shaft weight and flex.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Why on the 440 the lie angle is 58* vs the 460 56* lie angle

Thoughts

A 440 would be played as a shorter driver?

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I'll add to the hype. Have a 9.5* with Rogue Silver 60X @45". Came in at D3 which was nice so I added a few grams of lead tape to get her to D5. Beat my current setup out by an average of 10 yards. Dont be afraid to tinker with the weights and dial it in. Makes a huge difference. Anyways, had a drive today that I hit into a 20-25 mph headwind. Ended up in a spot I normally don't see in the spring, and it was into the wind. Couldn't believe how well it cut right through. Firmly in the bag as of now. But this is wrx. So who knows.

Yes the M1 440 is super long. We had a Titleist Demo Day at my course in Colorado yesterday and I was able to sneak three drives in on their TrackMan and these are some of the number I got. Titleist couldn't compare (rest of my bag is mostly Titleist)

This is with the Matrix Black Tie 60x and neutral weights with adapter set to 10.25 loft

Sounds like swing weight is just too light. Either way Epic and M series are the best of the bunch right now but Epic is giving me 2-3mph more ball speed then M series on trackman.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I find the same issue with my SZ. The results are great, don't get me wrong. It just feels super light in the head. I originally had the Rogue MAX 75 at 45". The SW felt way too low. Have the ad di 6x at 45.5" which is slightly better but still a little light. Will be trying a KK XT 70 at 45.5" hoping I can feel the head more. If not, I'll pick up a 6gram weight to add a little more to the head.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Got to hit the 440 on the course today. Currently play a ping g at 44 inch. So the stock length felt long. I hit a couple drives that were further than my ping would be. Could be the extra length shaft getting me a few extra mph swing speed. My miss hits are usually low on the face and id say the ping is slightly better on those. I prefer the smaller 440 head and sound/feel compared to the ping. will test it more.

Club had demo day Saturday with all the various manufacturers and tried Epic and then went to TM tent and decided to try my GD AD-5 thats in my 2016 M2 which I am hitting great with the M1 440 head (10.5) and wow.

I loved the feel, sound and trajectory and as forgiving as the M2. I tried to buy just the head but TM rep said no so I tried the various shafts and went with Kuro Cage 60 as it felt great and had a good mid launch. Shouldnt be buying another driver as I am hitting the M2 great but being a club ho I wanted to try a smaller headed driver, I am glad I did but not my pocket book, but they were giving using 10% off. Hope to have next week and will update on course review.

Ping G430 Max 10K w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Ping G425 7 wood w Slay 55

Ping G430 9 wood w Speeder EVO6

Ping G430 6 Hybrid w PX Red Smoke
Srixon ZX5 7-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind w Recoil 95

Odyssey Jailbird

I've been using a 460 9.5 for about a week and enjoyed it, but it launched somewhat lower and was pretty clearly spinning a little bit too low. I ordered a 10.5, yet in my eBay haste ended up ordering a 440 instead of the 460. I was on the range today trying it and didn't realize it the was the 440 until about 10 balls in when I checked!

However, this thing is legit. I'm not a very consistent driver of the ball and the forgiveness on mishits (read, most of them) was impressive. Solid strikes it probably is the same as my old SLDR when that was hammered. Forgiveness was as good as my old LTD and the driver WAY outperformed my last good driver, which was a Bio Cell + (also a 440cc head). Looks are a plus because I play at 44" and some larger heads look like battle axes at that length. That big scoop that TM took out of the bottom probably let them keep the crown's footprint a lot bigger than other drivers in the same size range. I don't have a launch monitor and my club's range uses LF balls so I can only go off driver-driver comparisons that I've hit on that range.

Felt the same as the 460 to me, pretty good feedback for drivers these days. FWIW I love the 460 using the Kuro Kage DC Tini 60 and the 440 has the same shaft in a 70X. Playing 36 tomorrow and will likely use both to catastrophic consequences but I'm optimistic.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Finally got a chance to really hit the 440 head I picked up the first of march. Extremely long but am going to try a few shafts to really dial it in.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

I've been using a 460 9.5 for about a week and enjoyed it, but it launched somewhat lower and was pretty clearly spinning a little bit too low. I ordered a 10.5, yet in my eBay haste ended up ordering a 440 instead of the 460. I was on the range today trying it and didn't realize it the was the 440 until about 10 balls in when I checked!

However, this thing is legit. I'm not a very consistent driver of the ball and the forgiveness on mishits (read, most of them) was impressive. Solid strikes it probably is the same as my old SLDR when that was hammered. Forgiveness was as good as my old LTD and the driver WAY outperformed my last good driver, which was a Bio Cell + (also a 440cc head). Looks are a plus because I play at 44" and some larger heads look like battle axes at that length. That big scoop that TM took out of the bottom probably let them keep the crown's footprint a lot bigger than other drivers in the same size range. I don't have a launch monitor and my club's range uses LF balls so I can only go off driver-driver comparisons that I've hit on that range.

Felt the same as the 460 to me, pretty good feedback for drivers these days. FWIW I love the 460 using the Kuro Kage DC Tini 60 and the 440 has the same shaft in a 70X. Playing 36 tomorrow and will likely use both to catastrophic consequences but I'm optimistic.

I can at least say for sure that it's more forgiving** than the Bio Cell +. I don't recall losing any balls wayyy left like normal and the ball flight was very consistent. It's not a range darling but it's not some mythical point-and-shoot machine either.

**My best drive numbers-wise of the day was a big push that was in the air forever, and my drive on the next hole was almost literally a dead center skyball (half the ballmark was on the crownline) and the drive ended up 290 out.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I can at least say for sure that it's more forgiving** than the Bio Cell +. I don't recall losing any balls wayyy left like normal and the ball flight was very consistent. It's not a range darling but it's not some mythical point-and-shoot machine either.

**My best drive numbers-wise of the day was a big push that was in the air forever, and my drive on the next hole was almost literally a dead center skyball (half the ballmark was on the crownline) and the drive ended up 290 out.

Great to know

Great to know, as I still play the bio cell+ and am looking for something else. In a fitting session I did hit the M1 the best.

I will throw in some feedback that a couple other have provided earlier but it really rings true. You DO NOT need a LOW/LOW shaft for this head. I have been a high spin, high launch guy most of my adult life. This is the first driver that it really isn't a worry for me. I ordered it with the BlackTie M4 70X and that was almost a bit too low launching for me. I happened to have a Elements chrome 7F5T with a TM tip laying around and figured it could possibly be worth trying. Wow! a Mid Launch shaft with this 440 head is so solid. I'm starting to believe the hype!

Kyle

Taylor Made M6, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5, 75g
Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
TaylorMade TP5X

I will throw in some feedback that a couple other have provided earlier but it really rings true. You DO NOT need a LOW/LOW shaft for this head. I have been a high spin, high launch guy most of my adult life. This is the first driver that it really isn't a worry for me. I ordered it with the BlackTie M4 70X and that was almost a bit too low launching for me. I happened to have a Elements chrome 7F5T with a TM tip laying around and figured it could possibly be worth trying. Wow! a Mid Launch shaft with this 440 head is so solid. I'm starting to believe the hype!

What's cool about that is that some high spin guys might have a better feel for those mid/high launch shafts and swing them better...but never had a driver that they could use the shaft in. Similar thing going back to SLDR.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

This is true, I've since went up 2 clicks on the loft sleeve from my 8.5 with the Black Tie 70M5x

I may have to start testing mid launching shafts. I have a tour ad M9003 7x in my M1440 and I think the spin might be a touch low.

• 2 weeks later...

Stuck a tour HZRDUS red 6.0 in my 440 and seems to be a perfect match. Stock shot is a high draw and I've picked up distance over previous combos. No problems hitting it low when I need to and I find the head very forgiving.

Stuck a tour HZRDUS red 6.0 in my 440 and seems to be a perfect match. Stock shot is a high draw and I've picked up distance over previous combos. No problems hitting it low when I need to and I find the head very forgiving.

Glad to hear this. I just got an M1 tip put on a Hzrdus Red HC 6.0 75g shaft and am trying it out tomorrow in my 440 if the weather clears. Have a Diamana B-Series in 60-gram range in their now and want to try one a little heavier. Love the driver.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Good luck will be interested to hear your findings. So far I've tried an Evo II 661X, Evo TS, GD TP, and now this HZRDUS Red. Consistency, ball flight, and impact feel are all the best with the Red and it's not really close for my swing.

I've ran the gamut of most of the high end JDM and US shafts the last 5-6 years it seems and I have to say I'm really impressed by this one. There's no big fancy exotic material story or anything, it just performs and feels great.