The M1 440 is Long AND Forgiving, I'm Impressed!!

Milez28

I am wanting to order one at 44.5" with Rogue silver 60x. I'm hoping they can get it back to at least D4. Ideally D5-D6 would be nice but probably wishful thinking.

They're not getting it to D4 for you. I'd be SHOCKED if it was D2. That said, it'll cost you $30 tops to have it hotmelted.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a stiff matrix black tie 7M4 in my M1 460 cut to 44.5. I ordered an M1 440 with a matrix black tie 6M4 cut to 44.5 and all I could hit were low knuckleball hooks. Put in the black tie from my 460 and back to hitting long baby draws. I had brought my R11S TP with the RIP Phenom 65 cut to 44.5 to the course for a buddy to hit some later this week and for kicks grabbed it. Hit long straight bombs about 10-15 yards further than the M1. Puzzling. Any thoughts? The R11 is 10.5 and the M1 440 is 9.5 lofted up one notch to essentially 10.25.

Got my 440 yesterday with a Kuro Kage Tini Shaft. I was pretty impressed on the launch monitor, but it wasn't until I took it out on the course I realized how great it is. Like the title- Long and surprisingly pretty forgiving. The main thing I love is how I can personalize it with the T-Track (didn't have last year's so it's new to me).

Personally I really like the look or else I wouldn't have bought it. I know a lot of people were complaining because last years looked better but this years looks cooler IMO.

Got my 440 yesterday with a Kuro Kage Tini Shaft. I was pretty impressed on the launch monitor, but it wasn't until I took it out on the course I realized how great it is. Like the title- Long and surprisingly pretty forgiving. The main thing I love is how I can personalize it with the T-Track (didn't have last year's so it's new to me).

Personally I really like the look or else I wouldn't have bought it. I know a lot of people were complaining because last years looked better but this years looks cooler IMO.

I ordered one with the dual core 70g, I have a few other shafts including an XM TX and a Kiyoshi Black but I'm eager to get it out there and test em. I demoed a 9.5 head with my XM shaft and I could hit it as low as I needed and it seemed to spin low, I wonder if I'll be able to keep the dual core and K. Black in the air.. Can't wait to get my hands on this thing that's for sure..

I am wanting to order one at 44.5" with Rogue silver 60x. I'm hoping they can get it back to at least D4. Ideally D5-D6 would be nice but probably wishful thinking.

They're not getting it to D4 for you. I'd be SHOCKED if it was D2. That said, it'll cost you $30 tops to have it hotmelted.

I'm a lead tape kinda guy ?

Finally got out and have two rounds under my belt. This club is fantastic. Looks great at address, has a great sound and feel at impact, flies long AND straight. I even caught one off the toe yesterday, and my playing partners where like, "That one was bombed". I didn't have the heart to tell them that it was off the toe, but low and behold it was still out there for a toe shot. Gear effect had it right in the middle of the fairway.

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM10 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Odyssey Triple T 

I hit a 440 demo and loved it (with the KK and Hzrdus Yellow stock shafts) and have just picked up a 440 9.5 tour issue head (10 degree, 0.8 open, 200g) and now it is time to pick a shaft. One thing about this head, at least for me, is I am sticking with a mid-launch shaft. The mid launch KK carried more for me, as the Yellow, a low-launch, low-spin shaft with a low spin head was definitely losing distance. My swing tops out at 105 so I think higher launch is key. Have a HC Hzrdus Red 75 6.0 with a Titleist tip. Going to change to a TM adaptor and try that one first. The others I want to try in it are a Diamana blue series (one of my all time favorites) and a GD AD DI 6x. Love this head's look and am excited to get it finished. Plan to play it at 44.75 inches, D3. Replaces a 2015 Nike Flex (also a 440 head.) In testing out drivers, I founder the M1 440 was an easy choice over the Epic, especially the sound and feel. There was no difference in ballspeed and I find the two-tone easier to aim. First TM driver for me in years, since the R7.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

You definitely don't need a low low shaft. The ad tp still launches low with a draw. This is the first 10.5 driver I have ever played with a non low low shaft. For me even a ad gp shaft would be too low. Maybe a rogue 110 msi black tour x might be ok. I might also look at my Aldila rip proto tour x as a. Option as well. It is mid low.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Btw this head is miles better than last years 430. Can't believe how forgiving it is!?

Interesting to see very little switch out to the 2017 M1 460 drivers by the tour pros. Largely they are sticking with last year's m2. I think this year's 440 is similar to last year's m1 or m2.

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

You definitely don't need a low low shaft. The ad tp still launches low with a draw. This is the first 10.5 driver I have ever played with a non low low shaft. For me even a ad gp shaft would be too low. Maybe a rogue 110 msi black tour x might be ok. I might also look at my Aldila rip proto tour x as a. Option as well. It is mid low.

Thanks. A buddy has a Diamana B Series 60x with a TM tip that also will be in the running. That lineup is a few years old now, but still a great shaft that performs. Mid launch and spin. I am not the fastest or slowest swinger so I like that profile. I will report back on it as soon as the nasty cold winds of March ever leave DC. I prefer to hit them outside and see how they fly. But I have no doubt about the head. It is fantastic. Just have to get the right match.

I want to order this driver and am interested in ordering it with the Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution TS - but I can't find anything on this exact shaft. Does anyone have any insight or can describe it?

I've played that shaft for over 2 years now, built by TM (whatever that means for tipping) at 44.5". It's stout. You'd be hard pressed to make this shaft kick. And that's what I like about it - I always know where the clubhead is going to be. Without feeling harsh.

M3 9.5* - Fujikura 757TR
M5 15* - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
M1 5W - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
P760 3i - KBS $ Taper Black
P730 5-PW - KBS $ Taper Black
Milled Grind 50 & 55 DG TI Onyx
Hi-Toe 60 DG TI Onyx
Spider X Navy

I had a stiff matrix black tie 7M4 in my M1 460 cut to 44.5. I ordered an M1 440 with a matrix black tie 6M4 cut to 44.5 and all I could hit were low knuckleball hooks. Put in the black tie from my 460 and back to hitting long baby draws. I had brought my R11S TP with the RIP Phenom 65 cut to 44.5 to the course for a buddy to hit some later this week and for kicks grabbed it. Hit long straight bombs about 10-15 yards further than the M1. Puzzling. Any thoughts? The R11 is 10.5 and the M1 440 is 9.5 lofted up one notch to essentially 10.25.

Classic TM tipping.......you never know what your going to get!

My guess is the shaft from you 460 wasn't tipped & the Shaft from your 440 got the Incher Hacked off.

Line them up & see for yourself where the paint lines up, I'm curious.

As for the 440 I still love mine, I have it Upright turned down 1 click & the launch with the OG Fubuki 73 is perfect.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

My guess is the shaft from you 460 wasn't tipped & the Shaft from your 440 got the Incher Hacked off.

As for the 440 I still love mine, I have it Upright turned down 1 click & the launch with the OG Fubuki 73 is perfect.

Yes. Have to wonder if they tipped it TWO inches. Either way it will change the launch even for just 1 inch tipped by as much as 2 degrees. Fortunately for me I ordered a high launching shaft that when tipped (despite my request a 2nd time ) plays ok as mid launch.

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Yes. Have to wonder if they tipped it TWO inches. Either way it will change the launch even for just 1 inch tipped by as much as 2 degrees. Fortunately for me I ordered a high launching shaft that when tipped (despite my request a 2nd time ) plays ok as mid launch.

When I get a new TM Driver the first thing I do is sell the shaft on the Bay & go to something from my stockpile which I KNOW exactly if and how much it was tipped. There just is no rhyme or reason on their tipping practices. I love my OG Fubuki 73 in the a 9.5 M1, it's like taking a ride in a classic muscle car.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

Does anyone have the back weight set in the forward position any?

I'm finding this head can get pretty wild with the weight forward and when I move it to the back half of the track it really calms it down some.

I have mine about half way forward from center. It felt better to me this way. Between different shafts and all the settings I might have finally settled on this setting...maybe.....

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

I got nice spin and better control with the back weight 2/3 of the way back. This head controls spin pretty welll for me without having to move the weight way up.

When I get a new TM Driver the first thing I do is sell the shaft on the Bay & go to something from my stockpile which I KNOW exactly if and how much it was tipped. There just is no rhyme or reason on their tipping practices. I love my OG Fubuki 73 in the a 9.5 M1, it's like taking a ride in a classic muscle car.

For me, I Never in a Million Years thought a Shaft would make a World of Difference in Performance until I was Fitted Correctly, Wow!!!

Buying off the Rack for a Driver is Okay, but 95% of the Time from what I am hearing...the Shaft Never is the correct one...

That Awesome looking Shaft on Most Drivers looks Eye Appealing for the buy however, the results with the Shaft for that Driver you purchased doesn't fit the Performance until You're Fitted.

My Opinion

My thoughts are I'd play the R11 if I could keep it in the fairway. :good:

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

After having a delay with the new Matrix black tie I finally received the 440 this week. 8.5 head with Black Tie M5 70x at 44.5"

Only thing about getting custom ordered to a certain length is I don't think they swing weight it and add weight if necessary to get it back because mine weighed a D1.5 which I could tell right off the bat it was light.

I went to Golf Galaxy on my lunch break just to get an initial impression on what it can do.. Man I was blown away! I think it had something to do with the lighter weight but I was trying to hold back and just put a nice smooth swing on it and was not even getting 1000rpm spin on it and turning it over way too quick. I slid the weight toward the toe and back weight more toward the back and really started getting after it - then the club came alive.

You talk about a Nasty combo - it was well worth the weight. I loved the sound it made coming off the face. Last years M1 was hard and loud (tinny). This felt softer and was a very nice "Thwak". Also something about the aerodynamics you can almost hear a slight whistle accelerating through the swing then it's a solid Thwak!

I can't wait to get it on the course this weekend but here are some prelim numbers from my lunch break (in dress clothes & dress shoes). I started a little slow, then got a little loose and after the last shot I was like no way so I just quit right there. There's no way that can be accurate.

This is what I just ordered last night at 45". I cant wait for it to get here and get some holes on it. Most likely going to get the new M1 3 wood with the 80 gram version of the new black tie if all goes well.

Kyle

Taylor Made M6, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5, 75g
Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
TaylorMade TP5X

I have been playing the 440 for about a month and love it. I have a huge spin issue, based more on mechanics than pure SS, and this head really helps. Originally picked up with a 661, just put a HC HZRDUS Yellow in and wow. The right shaft really makes this head come alive. I couldn't believe how the ball wasn't affected hitting into the wind and through crosswinds.

One thing I did notice testing last night was the back track weight changed my impact position. I dumped out some practice balls on a par 5 last night and messed around with the weight (first round with the Yellow in play). When I moved the weight all the way back my strike pattern went closer to the heel and when I moved it closer to the face the strike pattern favored the toe. I found it really strange, but it could also be based on sw being too light (D0). I plan to add some lead tape tonight.

SIM 10.5, Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
TS2 15, Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
818 H2 19, Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
718 AP3 4-5, PZ LZ 6.5
718 AP2 6-PW, PX LZ 6.5
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 
Odyssey 2 Ball 10S

I am a little late to the party here. I've been waiting for over a month for the Epic I ordered. Just got word that it will not be shipping this week either. So, with the first driving range opening on Saturday, and course Monday, I am seriously considering cancelling the order out of principal.

Anyhow, I liked the M1 but thought it looked absolutely gigantic. Can anyone comment on launch and spin differences they saw from the 460 to the 440? I had last year's M2. I imagine the M1 460 is roughly as forgiving as that. Would the 440 be a huge decrease in forgiveness?

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I am a little late to the party here. I've been waiting for over a month for the Epic I ordered. Just got word that it will not be shipping this week either. So, with the first driving range opening on Saturday, and course Monday, I am seriously considering cancelling the order out of principal.

Anyhow, I liked the M1 but thought it looked absolutely gigantic. Can anyone comment on launch and spin differences they saw from the 460 to the 440? I had last year's M2. I imagine the M1 460 is roughly as forgiving as that. Would the 440 be a huge decrease in forgiveness?

440 is better than last year's M1 in terms of forgiveness if you ask me. Granted that's not saying a ton, but it is certainly not the SLDR kind of punishment at all. As far as flight/spin with this years M1 and 440, the 440 is going to be noticeably lower spinning (different amounts for different people) and with every person I've seen hit this club their ball speeds have been 2-4 mph faster with the 440 over the '17 460. I would say get 1* higher loft than you'd get with the 460, I wish I had gotten 9.5* myself, and unless you're a crazy high spin guy you can probably get away with a much more forgiving shaft. I had the HZRDUS Black to start and it was insanely low spinning and not necessary at all, have since moved to the ATMOS Blue and it's a pure of a pairing as I have ever played.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

440 is better than last year's M1 in terms of forgiveness if you ask me. Granted that's not saying a ton, but it is certainly not the SLDR kind of punishment at all. As far as flight/spin with this years M1 and 440, the 440 is going to be noticeably lower spinning (different amounts for different people) and with every person I've seen hit this club their ball speeds have been 2-4 mph faster with the 440 over the '17 460. I would say get 1* higher loft than you'd get with the 460, I wish I had gotten 9.5* myself, and unless you're a crazy high spin guy you can probably get away with a much more forgiving shaft. I had the HZRDUS Black to start and it was insanely low spinning and not necessary at all, have since moved to the ATMOS Blue and it's a pure of a pairing as I have ever played.

I would be going with a 10.5. The Epic SZ I demoed weeks ago was really low spin too. I have an AD DI on hand in case I need a spinner shaft. I recently picked up a KK XT 60X and that thing feels amazing. I had a chance to try it out on a sim in my old M2 (traded it to a friend for some masonry work at my house). So, I have some options to work with on both ends of the launch/spin spectrum.

Did you happen to try the SZ against your M1 440?

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I would be going with a 10.5. The Epic SZ I demoed weeks ago was really low spin too. I have an AD DI on hand in case I need a spinner shaft. I recently picked up a KK XT 60X and that thing feels amazing. I had a chance to try it out on a sim in my old M2 (traded it to a friend for some masonry work at my house). So, I have some options to work with on both ends of the launch/spin spectrum.

Did you happen to try the SZ against your M1 440?

I did, unfortunately I am probably the wrong person to have give a fair comparison. For whatever reason the Epic line just looks terrible to me down by the ball. Face always looked really really shut, I hated the graphics and warts on top of the club, so before I even took a swing I kind of already knew what was going to happen.

I finally got about 5 good strikes to compare a legit head to head with the 440 - Spin wise 440 was a little lower (granted it was too low and needed to come up), carry 440 was maybe a yard or two longer at best, and the ball speed on the 440 was right around 2 mph better. Marginal differences at best, but I just couldn't get along with the Epic so the decision was pretty easy for me.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

This is a copy and paste from a previous post I made in another thread:

There wasn't a huge difference in spin between the two heads for me and launch was comparable as well. The 440 was a fraction lower in both, but nowhere near enough to base my decision on those two factors.

It really comes down to visual preference and forgiveness. If you like the look of a more compact head, stick with the 440. If you want a touch more forgiveness, get the 460.

I went with the 460. Spin was already down around 2,050 RPMs and launch was at 12.5 - 13*. My driver SS is 112 so these spin/launch number were producing some nice results for me. I really didn't have a problem working either head, but the 440 should, by nature of size, be a little more workable.

For reference, spin with the 440 was down about 100 RPMs and the launch was down half a degree, so both less than a 5% difference from the 460.

Neither head is going to be hotter than the other, but you will likely put better swings on the one that is more visually appealing or that gives you more confidence.

Thanks for the replies. I may stop by the shop and see what they have in stock. They'll have plenty M1's, but the 440 may be asking too much.

I still don't understand how they made this years 460 look so god awfully large at address.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X