The M1 440 is Long AND Forgiving, I'm Impressed!!

Milez28

http://www.golfwrx.com/417096/12-important-changes-to-the-2017-taylormade-m1-and-m2-drivers/

"The M1 440 is designed for golfers who prefer a smaller, more workable driver than the M1 460. It’s said to hit drives with approximately the same launch angle and spin rate as the M1 460, but initial testing proved that it can reduce spin by several hundred rotations per minute.

The smaller size of the M1 440 allowed TaylorMade to increase the weight in the front-back weight track of the driver to 15 grams, making each of its T-Track weights 15 grams."

Reading this appears the results will be about the same and its a matter preference of looks of the clubhead.

Having the proper loft and shaft is likely a more important factor.

DRIVER:  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First TM Pro I have seen with the 440 M1......

http://www.golfwrx.com/432774/retief-goosen-witb-2017-3/

Driver: TaylorMade M1 440 (8.5 degrees)

Shaft: Project X HZRDUS 55 grams 6.5-Flex

DRIVER:  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I got way better numbers from the Epic, about 4-5 MPH higher ball speed compared to the M1. I will say that it was hard to test head to head because the Epic head is so much lighter the shafts aren't an easy switch weight wise. Got fit for a 9 degree SZ with a HZRDUS black 70g 6.5 flex when normally I would be in the 60g range. I found the miss hits to be much better with the Epic

"Take er' deep"

Went 440 this season too. Just prefer the smaller head size. The 460 felt uncomfortablly large and I found myself hitting all over the face with it vs the more centered strikes with the 440. Also tested against the Epic SZ. Saw slightly more ballspeed with the SZ, but that club just looks ugly to my eye, and I had some wild random hooks with it. The 440 sits very square at address, which I like and appears (so far) to be quite anti-left.

Went 440 this season too. Just prefer the smaller head size. The 460 felt uncomfortablly large and I found myself hitting all over the face with it vs the more centered strikes with the 440. Also tested against the Epic SZ. Saw slightly more ballspeed with the SZ, but that club just looks ugly to my eye, and I had some wild random hooks with it. The 440 sits very square at address, which I like and appears (so far) to be quite anti-left.

That pretty much sums up my experience as well.

That pretty much sums up my experience as well.

I concur, except my ball speed was better with the 440 than the SZ. I am with you on the looks and leftness of the SZ were a massive turnoff to me. The head looks like a toad with warts.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

Quick M1 440 review...

I've used the old 9.5* M1 since it was released with a Fuji Evo 757 TS X. Sleeve clocked 1 notch lower. 44.5" playing length. Added an extra front track weight to get swingweight up to D3. Front weights spread wide. Back weight 3/4 of the way back. Mid launch, mid roll.

Played one round and had one range session with a 9.5* M1 440 at 45" with a GD Tour AD TP-6 X. Swingweight D2.5. Weights & sleeve set to neutral. Great headshape. Great feel. Great muted thwack. Incredibly low spin. I had to get aggressive with it to keep the ball in the air. Smooth swings and the take-off was nice, but when it hit the apex, it dropped fast. I had initially set it the same as my old driver - 1 lower, and on the course, it was noticeable how fast it was coming back to earth. I didn't try increasing loft, as I cannot look at a closed face at address.

Ordered up a 10.5* 440. I think that'll do the trick.

M3 9.5* - Fujikura 757TR
M5 15* - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
M1 5W - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
P760 3i - KBS $ Taper Black
P730 5-PW - KBS $ Taper Black
Milled Grind 50 & 55 DG TI Onyx
Hi-Toe 60 DG TI Onyx
Spider X Navy

Quick M1 440 review...

I've used the old 9.5* M1 since it was released with a Fuji Evo 757 TS X. Sleeve clocked 1 notch lower. 44.5" playing length. Added an extra front track weight to get swingweight up to D3. Front weights spread wide. Back weight 3/4 of the way back. Mid launch, mid roll.

Played one round and had one range session with a 9.5* M1 440 at 45" with a GD Tour AD TP-6 X. Swingweight D2.5. Weights & sleeve set to neutral. Great headshape. Great feel. Great muted thwack. Incredibly low spin. I had to get aggressive with it to keep the ball in the air. Smooth swings and the take-off was nice, but when it hit the apex, it dropped fast. I had initially set it the same as my old driver - 1 lower, and on the course, it was noticeable how fast it was coming back to earth. I didn't try increasing loft, as I cannot look at a closed face at address.

Thought you could adjust the 440 from 9.5* to 10.5* with settings

Quick M1 440 review...

You can, but it closes the face. That's why he mentioned he doesn't like having a closed face at address. I am the exact same way.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

Quick M1 440 review...

You can, but it closes the face. That's why he mentioned he doesn't like having a closed face at address. I am the exact same way.

Got it

440 for me this season as well. Picked up a brandy new (5 balls hit indoors) setup with Aldila Rogue Silver on the bay for $375. Felt like the price was worth giving it a shot. I gamed the R11 w/ Aldila VS Proto then M1 430 so this feels like the natural progression. Hit it and find it...

Received my 440 Driver two weeks ago, just waiting to patiently to be a swinger

Just posted on one of the other M1 threads, need help determining if TM tipped my AD DI TP 6X in spite of my request. I have a measurement of 24.25 inches right now from the bottom of the 1st ring to the end of the TM adapter (right at the end). Thxs.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cobra Snakebite 23 V 58 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Just posted on one of the other M1 threads, need help determining if TM tipped my AD DI TP 6X in spite of my request. I have a measurement of 24.25 inches right now from the bottom of the 1st ring to the end of the TM adapter (right at the end). Thxs.

I'm not sure if the DI TP shafts are the same as the AD DI and AD BB shafts, but on those from the tip to the first ring on an untipped will be 24.75", again, this is from the tip of the shaft, without any adapter on it.

I'm not sure if the DI TP shafts are the same as the AD DI and AD BB shafts, but on those from the tip to the first ring on an untipped will be 24.75", again, this is from the tip of the shaft, without any adapter on it.

The DI is 25.75" to first ring non-tipped; the DJ, BB, GT, MT, MI, GP are 24.625". Info from GD

Don't have the TP yet.

Thxs. So for the 2nd year in a row I have a tipped shaft I didn't ask for. Wonderful.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cobra Snakebite 23 V 58 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Going with the 440 9.5 this year. Can't see how anything will knock it out of the bag. Now what do I do with my tour issue 460 that I've never hit.... maybe my wife is right, I do have a problem....

I get that a lot too!!! From my Wife

Give it to a Junior Golf Student that can't afford to purchase a Premium Driver

The tour AD TP6x is 24-5/8" from the tip to first ring. Add approx 1/2" for the adapter. Should be around 25-1/8". TM tips the TP shaft 1/2" standard unlike the DI, which they tip 1".

Nothing is safe in my bag!

I have had mine since Monday and still haven't hit it, what is the world coming to. Can't wait to get out there this weekend!

Titleist TSR 4 - Autoflex SF 505XX

Burner Mini - Autoflex SF505XX

Cally Apex UW - Ventus TR RED 7x

Ping G430 3H - Ventus HY Blue 8x 

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW Axiom 105x

Hi-Toe 3 52/MG3 TW 60 - S400TI 

Odyssey Ai Milled Eleven DB w/Stability Tour 

I just got back from a 3 round weekend at Kiawah Island and hit bombs most of the weekend. When the swing was off it was off and no club would help it. Trajectory was boring and significantly lower than any other driver I've hit with minimal spin. One of my best friends on the trip, a PGA teaching pro, couldn't believe the difference in trajectory. We have played golf together for 15 years and he couldn't believe the difference in my flight. All in all it is a winner. Even hits 1/2 inch off of the sweet spot were still in front of the pack for me which considering it is a 440 I feel good about.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9 MCA Tensei 1k Pro Orange 60 S
Callaway Paradym 15 MCA Tensei 1k Pro Orange 70 S

Mizuno Mizuno Pro FliHi 2 KBS Hybrid Proto S
Mizuno Pro 245 4-5 PX 6.0

Mizuno Pro 243 6-PW PX 6.0
Vokey SM8 50 F,56 D,60 D KBS 610 S
TaylorMade Spider GTX
Bridgestone Tour B X

Any comments on how forgiving these are or not compared to the new M1 460.

After buying the 440 I had some misgivings against what I might give up in forgiveness in the 460. I hit the 460 extensively afterwords to compare. My misses are always because my rotation stops and I hit a flip hook or I get in front and hit a block. On either of those misses the results were the same. I think on reasonably struck misses(i.e. off center slightly but normal strikes otherwise) the difference was fairly minimal. The results on centered strikes were lower spin and longer carry for me. I feel I made the correct decision going with the 440. Also it is anecdotal but my swing speed seems to be 2-3mph higher with less effort with the 440.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9 MCA Tensei 1k Pro Orange 60 S
Callaway Paradym 15 MCA Tensei 1k Pro Orange 70 S

Mizuno Mizuno Pro FliHi 2 KBS Hybrid Proto S
Mizuno Pro 245 4-5 PX 6.0

Mizuno Pro 243 6-PW PX 6.0
Vokey SM8 50 F,56 D,60 D KBS 610 S
TaylorMade Spider GTX
Bridgestone Tour B X

Any comments on how forgiving these are or not compared to the new M1 460.

After buying the 440 I had some misgivings against what I might give up in forgiveness in the 460. I hit the 460 extensively afterwords to compare. My misses are always because my rotation stops and I hit a flip hook or I get in front and hit a block. On either of those misses the results were the same. I think on reasonably struck misses(i.e. off center slightly but normal strikes otherwise) the difference was fairly minimal. The results on centered strikes were lower spin and longer carry for me. I feel I made the correct decision going with the 440. Also it is anecdotal but my swing speed seems to be 2-3mph higher with less effort with the 440.

This is spot on.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

Are most people seeing better ball speeds with the 440? Is that because of higher clubhead speed due to head size or just less spin?

M1 460, Shaft TBD
Epic 15*, Oban purple 05 flex
SLDR Rescue, 19 , X Fujikura
Irons (5-P)- PXG 0311, (4) - O311XF, Steelfiber 110
Bettinardi Kutchar - DASS
Edel 51, 55, 59, Steelfiber 110

You guys that went the 440 route, is it that much better performance-wise over the new M1 or are you just preferring the head size? I agree the new M1 looked huge but I never have had a chance to demo the 440. I'm having Will build be a M1 but he says the 460 is getting more play and better numbers??? What to do.......

I tried the epic, epic sz, m2, m1 460 and the m1 440. The 440 just gave me the best ball speeds period. It was faster, longer, and just looked better than everything else. Mine arrived in the mail yesterday and I will begin testing it today against my 2016 M2 on the range and course.

Srixon ZX5 Driver 10.5* Evenflow Riptide 50 6.0

Srixon ZX Fairway 15* Evenflow Riptide 60 6.0

Srixon ZX Fairway 21* Evenflow Riptide 70 6.0

Srixon ZX Utility 23* Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX Hybrid 25* Evenflow Riptide 80 6.0

Srixon ZX7 6-P Modus 120s

Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52*,56*,60* Modus 115 Wedge

L.A.B. Golf B.2 LAGP TPZ ONE35

Srixon Z-Star

You guys that went the 440 route, is it that much better performance-wise over the new M1 or are you just preferring the head size? I agree the new M1 looked huge but I never have had a chance to demo the 440. I'm having Will build be a M1 but he says the 460 is getting more play and better numbers??? What to do.......

For me the performance was certainly noticeable, albeit we're talking a few yards, which isn't what I would call a deciding factor for me personally. The choice was based off of the head size, spin, and the fact that it played as the most anti left driver I had ever used.

PXG One & Done | Armlock