The M1 440 is Long AND Forgiving, I'm Impressed!!

Milez28

Have ad di 9x in the 3w so a 70g driver shaft is a what I'm looking for weight wise

TP7 is the new DI profile just beefed up a little, might work out for you.

I have a 2016 M2 and a tour 440 head 9.0* with a rogue 125, GP6 and Speeder 6.3 to try whenever the snow melts.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am weighing the M1 440 head against the 460, and the Kuro Kage shaft vs Hzrdus Yellow. Currently playing a '15 Nike Flex 440 and like it, but find the M1 440 head very appealing. Tested Epic, did not like. Swing at 105, always battling high spin with my quick transition and slightly negative AofA. Have decided on 9.5 head (I prefer to add loft and close face a little, if needed.) Have seen lots of comments on this head being a spin killer, so am thinking I should go with mid-launch KK shaft if I go with the 440. Am a little worried about a low-launch shaft in this head, but am wondering if I need to be concerned about that. I hit the 460 with Hzrdus Yellow and just bumped that 9.5 head up a notch and the launch was in the 12-14 degree window. In the Kuro Kage, I hit that window at 9.5 degrees. Same in 440? Have not found one to test out yet. Everyone has the 460. But I am used to the 440 size with the Nike and like it. Don't know how the M1 440 compares to the Flex.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I like to keep my wood shafts similar

Testing in the 440 - if I change back to a speeder family in will go a p95x into the three wood

Speeder vc 8.1x

Hazardous 6.5x black

Ordered a ad gp7x

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I am weighing the M1 440 head against the 460, and the Kuro Kage shaft vs Hzrdus Yellow. Currently playing a '15 Nike Flex 440 and like it, but find the M1 440 head very appealing. Tested Epic, did not like. Swing at 105, always battling high spin with my quick transition and slightly negative AofA. Have decided on 9.5 head (I prefer to add loft and close face a little, if needed.) Have seen lots of comments on this head being a spin killer, so am thinking I should go with mid-launch KK shaft if I go with the 440. Am a little worried about a low-launch shaft in this head, but am wondering if I need to be concerned about that. I hit the 460 with Hzrdus Yellow and just bumped that 9.5 head up a notch and the launch was in the 12-14 degree window. In the Kuro Kage, I hit that window at 9.5 degrees. Same in 440? Have not found one to test out yet. Everyone has the 460. But I am used to the 440 size with the Nike and like it. Don't know how the M1 440 compares to the Flex.

have never hit the flex before, but the 440 is definitely low launch/low spin. First driver I've actually been able to use a mid launch shaft in instead of going low/low. I had the HZRDUS Black and it was just unecesaary for this head. Since moved into a Fuji ATMOS Blue 7X.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

Have ad di 9x in the 3w so a 70g driver shaft is a what I'm looking for weight wise

I have a 2016 M2 and a tour 440 head 9.0* with a rogue 125, GP6 and Speeder 6.3 to try whenever the snow melts.

I've got speeder 8.1 vc and ordered a gp7x

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Testing in the 440 - if I change back to a speeder family in will go a p95x into the three wood

Speeder vc 8.1x

Hazardous 6.5x black

Ordered a ad gp7x

GP will definitely spin less that the DI. I was hitting knuckle balls with it that were just falling out of the air. Hope it works out for you though.

Speeder vc 8.1x

Hazardous 6.5x black

Ordered a ad gp7x

GP will definitely spin less that the DI. I was hitting knuckle balls with it that were just falling out of the air. Hope it works out for you though.

Spin less than the hazardous ?

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Speeder vc 8.1x

Hazardous 6.5x black

Ordered a ad gp7x

Spin less than the hazardous ?

I don't think less than the black. With the black the highest spin I got on a wel struck ball was around 1675 which was way too low for me and my moderate swing speed.

Are the "tour issue" M1 440 heads worth the extra cash? Is the benefit simply knowing the precise stats or is it quality control as well?

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

How did this thread get so far down.....this is one of the best drivers of the year!

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9 MCA Tensei 1k Pro Orange 60 S
Callaway Paradym 15 MCA Tensei 1k Pro Orange 70 S

Mizuno Mizuno Pro FliHi 2 KBS Hybrid Proto S
Mizuno Pro 245 4-5 PX 6.0

Mizuno Pro 243 6-PW PX 6.0
Vokey SM8 50 F,56 D,60 D KBS 610 S
TaylorMade Spider GTX
Bridgestone Tour B X

My M1 440 is on the way! I went to an indoor testing center salivating to try the Epic drivers ive heard so much about. I have been gaming the R1 since its inception and have tried every new TM and Callaway offering since, while still getting better numbers with my R1.

After quickly dismissing the Epic offerings for failing short of my R1 baseline hits, I decided to try the M1/M2 offerings. The 440 M1 with the HZRDUS 6.0 gave me the best results. As a golfer who loses distance mostly due to spin, this combination dropped the spin way down. The numbers are still comparable to my R1 on so-so hits, but the center strike and optimum launch hits with the 440 were even better than the R1.

After having a delay with the new Matrix black tie I finally received the 440 this week. 8.5 head with Black Tie M5 70x at 44.5"

Only thing about getting custom ordered to a certain length is I don't think they swing weight it and add weight if necessary to get it back because mine weighed a D1.5 which I could tell right off the bat it was light.

I went to Golf Galaxy on my lunch break just to get an initial impression on what it can do.. Man I was blown away! I think it had something to do with the lighter weight but I was trying to hold back and just put a nice smooth swing on it and was not even getting 1000rpm spin on it and turning it over way too quick. I slid the weight toward the toe and back weight more toward the back and really started getting after it - then the club came alive.

You talk about a Nasty combo - it was well worth the weight. I loved the sound it made coming off the face. Last years M1 was hard and loud (tinny). This felt softer and was a very nice "Thwak". Also something about the aerodynamics you can almost hear a slight whistle accelerating through the swing then it's a solid Thwak!

I can't wait to get it on the course this weekend but here are some prelim numbers from my lunch break (in dress clothes & dress shoes). I started a little slow, then got a little loose and after the last shot I was like no way so I just quit right there. There's no way that can be accurate.

...received the 440 this week. 8.5 head with Black Tie M5 70x at 44.5"

Only thing about getting custom ordered to a certain length is I don't think they swing weight it and add weight if necessary to get it back because mine (swing) weigh(t)ed a(t) D 1.5

TaylorMade does an excellent job at getting the swing weight right on custom orders, but there's no guarantee they can get back to the stock swing weight. The factory assembly area is not a tour van and there's only so much they can do. In cutting the shaft so short, you should be super happy with a D 1.5. I'm sure aftermarket weights will show up eventually.

...received the 440 this week. 8.5 head with Black Tie M5 70x at 44.5"

Only thing about getting custom ordered to a certain length is I don't think they swing weight it and add weight if necessary to get it back because mine (swing) weigh(t)ed a(t) D 1.5

TaylorMade does an excellent job at getting the swing weight right on custom orders, but there's no guarantee they can get back to the stock swing weight. The factory assembly area is not a tour van and there's only so much they can do. In cutting the shaft so short, you should be super happy with a D 1.5. I'm sure aftermarket weights will show up eventually.

I would hardly say 44.5" is cutting the shaft "so short". I personally would expect more than D1.5, most people would find a shaft like the Black Tie somewhat difficult to load with that low of a swing weight.

I love my M1 440, I think it's the best driver I've ever hit hands down. But I don't think it is unreasonable to call out OEMs like TM and Callaway for not fulfilling their customers orders in a timely fashion and/or to the specifications in which they requested. I understand WRXrs are often the minority in the golfing consumer world, and many people on here may not even agree, but it just seems like a lack of effort and overall respect for their customers on the part of the OEMs who continually go about their business in this manner.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

After having a delay with the new Matrix black tie I finally received the 440 this week. 8.5 head with Black Tie M5 70x at 44.5"

Only thing about getting custom ordered to a certain length is I don't think they swing weight it and add weight if necessary to get it back because mine weighed a D1.5 which I could tell right off the bat it was light.

I went to Golf Galaxy on my lunch break just to get an initial impression on what it can do.. Man I was blown away! I think it had something to do with the lighter weight but I was trying to hold back and just put a nice smooth swing on it and was not even getting 1000rpm spin on it and turning it over way too quick. I slid the weight toward the toe and back weight more toward the back and really started getting after it - then the club came alive.

You talk about a Nasty combo - it was well worth the weight. I loved the sound it made coming off the face. Last years M1 was hard and loud (tinny). This felt softer and was a very nice "Thwak". Also something about the aerodynamics you can almost hear a slight whistle accelerating through the swing then it's a solid Thwak!

I can't wait to get it on the course this weekend but here are some prelim numbers from my lunch break (in dress clothes & dress shoes). I started a little slow, then got a little loose and after the last shot I was like no way so I just quit right there. There's no way that can be accurate.

Wow.. that last shot would be hard to beat...

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

I would hardly say 44.5" is cutting the shaft "so short".

I don't think it is unreasonable to call out OEMs like TM and Callaway for not fulfilling their customers orders in a timely fashion and/or to the specifications in which they requested. I understand WRXrs are often the minority in the golfing consumer world, and many people on here may not even agree...

...it just seems like a lack of effort and overall respect for their customers on the part of the OEMs who continually go about their business in this manner.

I meant cutting an inch off is a tough ask to SW properly in an assembly line operation without tour build equipment and components to build your 'custom' club. Again, it's not a tour van and they do not have a drawer full of different weight they can add like on a tour van.

You're expecting too much to assume they can do your custom club exactly to your specs and without having you pay extra for work that does not fit into an assembly line operation. As far as the wait, it's a brand new club with a delayed component. Seem SOP.

I agree that you / we are in the minority, we're golf sheep like everybody else, except we'll never be happy with a club off the rack at Dick's. But as far as effort and respect, it sounds like you're expecting country club privileges for public course rates; ain't gonna happen.

Pay and have your head hot melted or add some tape until aftermarket weight become available.

I would hardly say 44.5" is cutting the shaft "so short".

I don't think it is unreasonable to call out OEMs like TM and Callaway for not fulfilling their customers orders in a timely fashion and/or to the specifications in which they requested. I understand WRXrs are often the minority in the golfing consumer world, and many people on here may not even agree...

...it just seems like a lack of effort and overall respect for their customers on the part of the OEMs who continually go about their business in this manner.

I meant cutting an inch off is a tough ask to SW properly in an assembly line operation without tour build equipment and components to build your 'custom' club. Again, it's not a tour van and they do not have a drawer full of different weight they can add like on a tour van.

You're expecting too much to assume they can do your custom club exactly to your specs and without having you pay extra for work that does not fit into an assembly line operation. As far as the wait, it's a brand new club with a delayed component. Seem SOP.

I agree that you / we are in the minority, we're golf sheep like everybody else, except we'll never be happy with a club off the rack at Dick's. But as far as effort and respect, it sounds like you're expecting country club privileges for public course rates; ain't gonna happen.

Pay and have your head hot melted or add some tape until aftermarket weight become available.

Hey FaMily I don't think you understood the entirety of my post very well that you feel I'm complaining? Anyways the reason it took a while to fulfill the order was not Taylormade's fault, it was the shaft that was the hold up. And the rep was also very good communicating this when he found the issue. Even the Matrix giveaway winners from a month ago are just now getting their shafts so seems to me there was a delay on Matrix end but has now been resolved. As you can see and I've stated in previous post "it was worth the wait and I'm loving the new M5 black tie." It's an absolute low spinning smooth beast of a shaft paired with the 440 head.

I understand how busy it can get there filling all these custom orders and we are all human so there will be some mistakes, things sometimes fall through the cracks. When I give a review to try to help out the WRX community I like to be 100% honest with my experience and not just stress the benefits. Again, I'm not bashing their custom department for not being accurate on the swingweight.

I look at it as a positive actually. Normally I would hotmelt the head, but since this already has a great sound/feel I'm not going that route. Instead I'll grab some aftermarket weights when they come out and go from there. It will increase the COG adjustability from already being one of the most adjustable drivers on the market to way more than I will ever need. Hell I might just leave it like that if I hit it well.

I'm glad you pointed something out though, because the reason I will continue to give them my business and time to write reviews is because I do feel they give country club treatment to us public course players. I'm sure many have experienced this when dealing with their staff.

I'm still shaft testing too. I have it narrowed down to the AD-GP or the AD-TP... can't decide which I like better.. curious to see how your testing turns out.

I'm still shaft testing too. I have it narrowed down to the AD-GP or the AD-TP... can't decide which I like better.. curious to see how your testing turns out.

I had a TP6 but didn't get around to buying an adapter/installing it, never got along with the DI so didn't think it was worth the effort. Took the money and bought an ATMOS Black 6X so throwing that in the mix too. How close are the GP and TP?

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

In my fitting I hit both the Gp and Tp and had almost exactly the same results. The fitter showed me his proprietary profile data and they are almost exactly the same. For my swing speed (97mph) there was basically no difference in the two. The best three shafts for me were Gp, Tp, Hzrdus Black, and believe it or not.....the stock Hzrdus yellow that it came with. I went with the Gp because it was less than the Tp and it felt sooooooo much better than the Hzrdus shafts.

Srixon ZX5 Driver 10.5* Evenflow Riptide 50 6.0

Srixon ZX Fairway 15* Evenflow Riptide 60 6.0

Srixon ZX Fairway 21* Evenflow Riptide 70 6.0

Srixon ZX Utility 23* Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX Hybrid 25* Evenflow Riptide 80 6.0

Srixon ZX7 6-P Modus 120s

Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52*,56*,60* Modus 115 Wedge

L.A.B. Golf B.2 LAGP TPZ ONE35

Srixon Z-Star

Picked up a tour issue M1 440 with a Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 9.5deg digitals out at 10. Plays at 44 1/8, tipped a 1/2 inch. Thing is a monster. Being 35 deg in MN course isnt open yet but went out to the club and walked around and teed a few up in the rough in front of the tee box. High flat bombs and just wanted to go straight.

I have been playing a x hot pro 9.5 with a pxv 6.5 at 43.75. Based on my fitting i had a few weeks back trackman said i would pick up 15-20 yards with the M1 and it seems like thats the case with my limited sample size. Cant wait to get a few rounds in.

I had a TP6 but didn't get around to buying an adapter/installing it, never got along with the DI so didn't think it was worth the effort. Took the money and bought an ATMOS Black 6X so throwing that in the mix too. How close are the GP and TP?

For me the difference came down to feel. The TP feels a little softer in the hands and seems to have a little more whippy feel, if that makes sense. The GP is a very sold shaft, I've been using it for more than a year in my Titleist. My thinking with the TP is that is was supposed to have a little different profile with a little more spin so I wanted to try it with the already low spinning 440 head. I'm not sure which actually performs better for me.. too close to call.

I'm also not sure I'm staying with the 440, as my Titleist D4 is right there with it.. so typical WRX'er.. thinking about selling the TM heads and shafts and starting over....

So back in January I was fitted for a epic SZ on trackman.Got great numbers at the demo day. Ordered it and it has been nothing but low knuckle ball hooks. No feel, no nothing. I think I got a dud head. And it also came to me at a E0 swingweight...been trying to make it work and I can't get any performance out of it. Been on 3 different trackmans.

Today I went to the taylormade demo day and took my epic SZ as well. Same crap out of the SZ.

Fitter really worked with me and was swapping out shafts and heads and we came up with this...matrix black tie x flex with the M1 440 8.5 turned to 9.2 loft

6742FEF0-3919-4541-AB78-D362488257C5.jpg

Got these numbers 5 shots in a row. Hit my epic SZ and back to low knuckle hooks...... it is going back...

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

So back in January I was fitted for a epic SZ on trackman.Got great numbers at the demo day. Ordered it and it has been nothing but low knuckle ball hooks. No feel, no nothing. I think I got a dud head. And it also came to me at a E0 swingweight...been trying to make it work and I can't get any performance out of it. Been on 3 different trackmans.

Today I went to the taylormade demo day and took my epic SZ as well. Same crap out of the SZ.

Fitter really worked with me and was swapping out shafts and heads and we came up with this...matrix black tie x flex with the M1 440 8.5 turned to 9.2 loft

Got these numbers 5 shots in a row. Hit my epic SZ and back to low knuckle hooks...... it is going back...

Nice numbers. I had similar results to you and I'm in the same speed bracket. I also hit those left shots with the Epic and was bombing the 440. What shaft were you using?

TM SIM - KuroKage 60XTX
TM SIM 15 - Blueboard 83X
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 Iron - PXI 6.5
Srixon Z745 4,5 - Dynamic Gold x100

Callaway Apex Raw 6-PW - Dynamic Gold x100
Titleist SM8 - 52, 56, 60 - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Style 350 Newport 2

Nice numbers. I had similar results to you and I'm in the same speed bracket. I also hit those left shots with the Epic and was bombing the 440. What shaft were you using?

Epic has the speeder 757x

TM 440 has the matrix black tie x

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide