2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Should Topic Title Be: Tiger Is Done, or Is Tiger Done?

DrSchteeve

Questions we all have:

1. Is it really back spams? If just back spams, does that means that he could play at Riviera?

2. If he doesn't show up at Riviera, does that means is worse than back spams?

3. If he doesn't play at Riviera does that means that he was lying all week about his "non existent back pain" and "it's just back spams"? He looked terrible and stiff.

4. Since he looked completely different (body-back wise) from Hero to Torrey PInes and on to Dubai, was Taylor Made induced to sign a contract with a "supposedly healthy" Tiger on his way to a glorious comeback days before Torrey Pines? He didn't look well there too.

5. Is it all mental, just back or both?

6. Did he looked at how he was playing and the weather forecast of high winds for the next day and decided to withdraw? All of the sudden back spams due to weather?

7. Why on earth a person with a Gulfstream G550 fly commercial? Did he just wanted to fly in an Airbus A380 or just save money (about 250k)? Does he still have his G550?

8. Was the "back spams" caused by natural reasons or bad golf technique this week?

9. If he shows up at Riviera with a better swing, does that means he was practicing all this time and the Dubai WD was just "sudden spams"?

Maybe we'll never know or maybe we'll know in due time.

I post this hesitantly because I don't want this to get way off topic, but I read something that said 7 was due to the protests at LAX. Posted by Yahoo. Take it FWIW.

Well if he flew in his own jet he would have flown from a private-executive airport and avoided the protests. Probably from San Diego too and avoided LAX.

I really need tiger to get better I made bets with a lot of my friends that he is going to win a few more tournaments. Its not looking to good right now.

He'd have a tough time contending on the McKenzie Tour at this point, much less winning an event on the PGA Tour. Many here seem to ignore that professional sports is the ultimate "What have you done for me lately?" business. All those past career achievements have provided Tiger is a never ending series of opportunities to tee it up whenever he sees fit, and with that, the opportunity to very publicly succeed of fail.

How appropriate his latest WD occurred on Groundhog Day. Reminds me of the Phoenix Open 2 years ago with a bit better short game...

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aerotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

How could protestors keep you from getting to your private jet?

The explanation given was that he could not physically reach the necessary terminal/hangar after connecting from SD because of the blockade.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

The explanation given was that he could not physically reach the necessary terminal/hangar after connecting from SD because of the blockade.

I just find that hard to believe, but was the first time Tiger flew commercial in 15 years

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I just find that hard to believe, but was the first time Tiger flew commercial in 15 years

Yea I mean grain of salt I guess but stranger things have probably happened. It's odd that he flew commercial, though. Figure that would be a last resort.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

His behavioral issues aside, he was something special as a professional golfer. He opened up the game to millions of golfers worldwide. His will to win and his ability to overcome adversity is tribute to his competitiveness and belief in himself. Whether or not he can return to a reasonable form is something that no one can predict. But the human body has its limitations and I believe Tiger's body has reached the point where it is sending him a message. He certainly seems to be 'burning the furniture'. My guess is he's done, but it's not for lack of will.

I post this hesitantly because I don't want this to get way off topic, but I read something that said 7 was due to the protests at LAX. Posted by Yahoo. Take it FWIW.

The Russians hacked into Yahoo.....that's now considered an alternative fact............

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

Let be real. Private jets are expensive. Tiger is not making 2002 dollars anymore. A G550 charter is ~$10K/hr. A private charter from LAX to Dubai would be in the $150/$200K range, each way. Now...he owns his own plane. But still has to put the miles on it and pay for fuel and fees (you have to pay fees to countries that allow you to use their airspace.) . Probably looking at $200K just in fuel at least for this one flight. It just does not make any sense these days. If Tiger wanted to fly private, he could have left from any airport in the LA area. If his jet was not available for whatever reason, he could easily charter if he wanted. Tee up money in Dubai probably would not even cover his fuel.

The reason he flew commercial out of LAX is not because any protestors. There just was no intention to fly private from the start. His jet would have left from San Diego, not LAX. And if he was going to fly private, there countless muni airports that can handle a G550. He would not mess with LAX. Could fly out of John Wayne, Fullerton, etc.

The commercial ticket was a financial move. And a First Class ticket on some of these airlines like Emirates, etc is no dump. Some of them have their own rooms. I dont think he was exactly sitting in seat 57B aisle seat.

I really hope Tiger isn't done. I am 26 years old so i grew up watching Tiger Woods and so I am a Tiger fan. It sucks to watch him play like he has let alone watch him navigate the course on foot and try to crawl out of bunkers. First and foremost I am a GOLF fan and like a lot of these other younger golfers in the game, but growing up watching Tiger at a young age made golf what it is for me to this day. We all feel pressure at some point during a competitive round and I am sure he is feeling pressure as well. Could only help to with all the media coverage, fans, expectation etc. I just hope his health is good enough for maybe one more win and a battle with some of our top golfers of this era.

I grew up being in awe of Nicklaus and Watson at Turnberry in 1977, both of those guys are 'done' as far as top level golf, and I have survived. So don't be saddened by the fact that Woods is well past his best. Like me, you'll get over it. :taunt:

Well said.

There have been so many is Tiger done, will he come back threads that it's silly already.

I really have to wonder if the much better question we should be asking is "Wouldn't the golf community, manufacturer's, and the media's time be better spent promoting and focusing on the future of golf instead of dwelling on it's past?"

Amen.

The fans and TV networks just need to deal with the fact that he's done and will never be the draw he once was and let today's young players carry the game forward to whatever heights it can reach.

If that means lower viewing figures - as casual watchers drawn in by Eldrick in the past quickly move on - then so be it. The true golf fans, new and established, will always find a new hero or group of players to aspire to and follow....and maybe some of those will provide a far better "role model" (I know, a much quoted phrase in Sport but it does have some bearing in the real world) than Tiger actually turned out to be after Thanksgiving 2009.

As a side piece, Mark Steinberg couldn't lie in a bed straight if it had a $1M mattress...

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

Let be real. Private jets are expensive. Tiger is not making 2002 dollars anymore. A G550 charter is ~$10K/hr. A private charter from LAX to Dubai would be in the $150/$200K range, each way. Now...he owns his own plane. But still has to put the miles on it and pay for fuel and fees (you have to pay taxes on countries you fly over) . Probably looking at $200K just in fuel for this one flight. It just does not make any sense these days. If Tiger wanted to fly private, he could have left from any airport in the LA area. If his jet was not available for whatever reason, he could easily charter if he wanted. Tee up money in Dubai probably would not even cover his fuel.

The reason he flew commercial out of LAX is not because any protestors. There just was no intention to fly private from the start. His jet would have left from San Diego, not LAX. And if he was going to flit private, there countless muni airports that can handle a G550.

The commercial ticket was a financial move.

That doesn't make sense to me with TW pulling down $45M last year in endorsements. And that doesn't even include income from his other business ventures.

It's not like he goes to Dubai every week ... gotta be another reason.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

There have been so many is Tiger done, will he come back threads that it's silly already.

I really have to wonder if the much better question we should be asking is "Wouldn't the golf community, manufacturer's, and the media's time be better spent promoting and focusing on the future of golf instead of dwelling on it's past?"

Amen.

The fans and TV networks just need to deal with the fact that he's done and will never be the draw he once was and let today's young players carry the game forward to whatever heights it can reach.

If that means lower viewing figures - as casual watchers drawn in by Eldrick in the past quickly move on - then so be it. The true golf fans, new and established, will always find a new hero or group of players to aspire to and follow....and maybe some of those will provide a far better "role model" (I know, a much quoted phrase in Sport but it does have some bearing in the real world) than Tiger actually turned out to be after Thanksgiving 2009.

As a side piece, Mark Steinberg couldn't lie in a bed straight if it had a $1M mattress...

Yeah,

UK sports agents. You'd leave your wallet at the table with one if you went to use the loo ; )

Far as Eldrick. It's the interest that is driving the media, not the other way around.

Watched the YT highlight reel of yesterday's round. I didn't see him wincing much. He putted poorly and his short game wasn't as sharp as last week. But he was one stiff puppy which makes me think his lower back is fused and that means eventually the disc above the fusion is going to give him some trouble if he keeps trying to play. Maybe he is spasming and maybe it's coming from a level above a possibly fused vertebrae. Might explain some things, but I'm no doc and this is all speculation to try to make some sense of why he's so stiff.

The larger point is that if he's spasming now after a lengthy layoff -- for whatever reason -- the future is bleak for Tiger. And that's sad. After his 65 at the Hero, I thought he might have another run of good health and we'd see what magic was still left in the tank. Can't see him competing, much less winning, now.

My cleek is sometimes peevish.

Amen.

Yeah,

UK sports agents. You'd leave your wallet at the table with one if you went to use the loo ; )

Far as Eldrick. It's the interest that is driving the media, not the other way around.

Huh?

What's the nationality of a sports agent got do with anything I posted please?

As for your last sentence you clearly don't get how "the media" work, irrespective of where that is.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

Amen.

Yeah,

Huh?

What's the nationality of a sports agent got do with anything I posted please?

As for your last sentence you clearly don't get how "the media" work, irrespective of where that is.

It's all sports agents.. No offence intended.

Far as the media. It is a business. It follows the advertising money. This is all measured. You post 50 articles about Sergio Garcia, nobody clicks and the bids on the ads on that page stagnate. You post 1 article on Tiger Woods, everybody clickd and the bids come in heavy from all over.

You think hundreds of media pieces came pouring in because the media gives a crap about Tiger Woods?

I bet most of them hate him on a personal level

They say Arnold Palmer brought interest to golf from people not otherwise into the game. Maybe that was true but I'm not sure.

But I know in the last couple weeks, more than one person has asked me apropos of nothing "Hey you're a golfer aren't you? Did you hear that Tiger was back playing this week?".

I've met people who have never set foot on a golf course in the life and could not name another golfer under 50 years old than Tiger Woods. They remember when he won his last US Open and know how many majors he has. It's nuts.

The truism is, there are Tiger Woods fans and then there are golf fans. Well OK but it really is a lot bigger than that. Remarkable reach.

Let be real. Private jets are expensive. Tiger is not making 2002 dollars anymore. A G550 charter is ~$10K/hr. A private charter from LAX to Dubai would be in the $150/$200K range, each way. Now...he owns his own plane. But still has to put the miles on it and pay for fuel and fees (you have to pay taxes on countries you fly over) . Probably looking at $200K just in fuel for this one flight. It just does not make any sense these days. If Tiger wanted to fly private, he could have left from any airport in the LA area. If his jet was not available for whatever reason, he could easily charter if he wanted. Tee up money in Dubai probably would not even cover his fuel.

The reason he flew commercial out of LAX is not because any protestors. There just was no intention to fly private from the start. His jet would have left from San Diego, not LAX. And if he was going to flit private, there countless muni airports that can handle a G550.

The commercial ticket was a financial move.

That doesn't make sense to me with TW pulling down $45M last year in endorsements. And that doesn't even include income from his other business ventures.

It's not like he goes to Dubai every week ... gotta be another reason.

Not to mention, didn't he get a $1.5m appearance fee? This has nothing to do with money.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

Eldrick has had 3 Back surgeries, you can see how he walks after a swing on the course that he is in discomfort. I have had 3 back surgeries and I cannot play more than two days in a row and I swing nothing like Eldrick. I can't imagine what his back goes through when he swings.

Navy Seals workouts, HGH, steroids abuse along with the injuries that his body has undergone through the years.

Eldrick is finished, kaput, done.

Eldrick has had 3 Back surgeries, you can see how he walks after a swing on the course that he is in discomfort. I have had 3 back surgeries and I cannot play more than two days in a row and I swing nothing like Eldrick. I can't imagine what his back goes through when he swings.

Navy Seals workouts, HGH, steroids abuse along with the injuries that his body has undergone through the years.

Not to mention the pounding his back took servicing all those IHOP waitresses.........

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

Until 2 weeks from now ; )

Not to mention the pounding his back took servicing all those IHOP waitresses.........

I forgot about that