2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Should Topic Title Be: Tiger Is Done, or Is Tiger Done?

DrSchteeve

Nicklaus you remember as he won the 86 Masters, SURE HE NEVER WON AFTER, MAYBE EVEN STRUGGLED but Tiger you remember as the guy that did end his career with a 7i that his wife beat him with then the Sean Foley third generation swing that broke his back and then you see him limping around on a bad back thinking, what did happen? that guy had such a great promise?

Tiger made a ton of bad decisions and it has consequences.

Please do not take this the wrong way, because unlike some, I do not jump on your posts as you have some excellent points however Bro, Jack was 46 friggin years old in 1986 when he did that final dance at Augusta.

"Sure he never won after"??

"Maybe even struggled"??

He was a Grandfather for Chrissakes, lol

Of course he struggled afterwards.

It's called aging however he had a swan song for the ages that Sunday.

I agree with ya though?

Stay well my Friend?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I equate the level of play back in the day to this; there were a few guys that were really good, passing the trophies back-and-forth cause they were the only ones that could win it. Jack just happened to be best of that group and held them up the most..... No trophy passing these days, majors are won from the field, not chased by a few...

Wrong. But you're entitled to your opinion.

Jack Nicklaus is the Greatest Of All Time. GOAT!

When an athlete can no longer trust their body it starts a downward spiral that almost always ends with limping away from the game just that little bit too late.

I don't blame Tiger for still trying. 18 majors was right there for him, but if he can't compete by the end of this year he needs to retire. And I think he would do that if he can't play well. I hope somehow Firestone and the WGC lets him compete once more there in addition to the majors, Bay Hill, the Memorial, the Players, and Quicken Loans.

No-just no. I am a Tiger fan but the WGC should not start adding exemptions. If he chooses to use them when needed he can get them for a few years for the US Open as they have always done for a select few but not an event with a hard and fast requirement.

Agreed. If they start doing that why not hand exemptions to the dozens of other golfers who have played badly for the last four years?

Players in every sport get better as time goes on. It's really not fair to compare players across eras, as you can only be better than your competition. It's pretty much undisputable that Tiger was the most skilled golfer of all time. Nicklaus is probably more accomplished however. Whether you value raw ability or accomplishments is personal preference.

Me in WRX: signing in - posting reply - signing off.

T.W: signing in - signing deal - signing off.

Same analogy?

Driver -
Ryoma- crazy royal deco
Fw -
#3 Cally Legacy'10 - Diamana R.
#5 Rbz stg1 tour TP std Rul.
#7 Cleaveland Launcher 1st gen std Fuji gold.
Irons -
#4-Hy JBeam - Attas.
#5-Pw Miura BB - MR MTI.
Wedges -
52 & 58 Fourteen Rm 12 std Dg.
Putter -
Lajosi dd copper.

Honestly...

1) Bobby Jones

2) Jack

3) Ben Hogan

4) Tiger

And that's real talk...

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Honestly...

1) Bobby Jones

2) Jack

3) Ben Hogan

4) Tiger

And that's real talk...

I agree ..... but, Jones was an amateur. That has some bearing on the GOAT, imo.

Well they were considered majors in his day.

13 majors at the age of 28, at which he retired.

If anyone here has seen the old videos Golf Channel used to play of Bobby Jones' swing...honestly, one of, if not the best swings of all time.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Nicklaus you remember as he won the 86 Masters, SURE HE NEVER WON AFTER, MAYBE EVEN STRUGGLED but Tiger you remember as the guy that did end his career with a 7i that his wife beat him with then the Sean Foley third generation swing that broke his back and then you see him limping around on a bad back thinking, what did happen? that guy had such a great promise?

Tiger made a ton of bad decisions and it has consequences.

Please do not take this the wrong way, because unlike some, I do not jump on your posts as you have some excellent points however Bro, Jack was 46 friggin years old in 1986 when he did that final dance at Augusta.

"Sure he never won after"??

"Maybe even struggled"??

He was a Grandfather for Chrissakes, lol

Of course he struggled afterwards.

It's called aging however he had a swan song for the ages that Sunday.

I agree with ya though?

Stay well my Friend?

My Best,

RP

And Jack beat defending champ Tiger and was a few lipouts and a couple 3 putts from winning in '98 at 58 when he finished T6.

Signed "some"!

TW has always been fascinating to me. No mistaking a shot hit by him. The air sizzled. You didn't need to see who hit the shot to know who was the author of it. Very, very few whom I've seen play here in Akron could do that. And of all the great shots I've seen live or on the screen many, if not most, were his. And they were astonishing. Compelling. His talent and drive were second to no one ever who has played this game.

Having said all that, I wish for him and us things could have been different. We had to invade and intrude to the point where he had to isolate. We demanded access, he demanded space. Truly a product of his time.

I am not necessarily a sympathizer, but it makes me more than a little sad that his career has come down to this.

I equate the level of play back in the day to this; there were a few guys that were really good, passing the trophies back-and-forth cause they were the only ones that could win it. Jack just happened to be best of that group and held them up the most..... No trophy passing these days, majors are won from the field, not chased by a few...

So ridiculous I'm almost speechless but had a good laugh I needed this morning, so thanks!

So ridiculous I'm almost speechless but had a good laugh I needed this morning, so thanks!

Ha. Before the internet the PGA was just Jack and a buncha oompa loompas.

(I take comfort in knowing better, it beats rattling sabres with the unknowing.)

Players in every sport get better as time goes on. It's really not fair to compare players across eras, as you can only be better than your competition. It's pretty much undisputable that Tiger was the most skilled golfer of all time. Nicklaus is probably more accomplished however. Whether you value raw ability or accomplishments is personal preference.

A voice of reason, great summary, Thanks

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

How did this thread become a Jack vs Tiger thread. Wasn't it about if hes done or not? But as that's what this thread is about now. If we take the part with Jack vs Tiger.. It's different eras, you can't compare. Really, you can't. Who knows how good Jack would have been in an era with todays equipment, trackman etc. And shot making? Really? Golf is about winning. A guy like Parnevik had much more shots in his bag than Jack. One would be stupid to argue Parnevik was a better golfer. Is it harder to be a perfect ballstriker like Stenson or to be a awsome shot maker? It's not about that, it's about the whole packade and in the end winning decides it. Majors, that's a good estimate for the best golfer. However, Tiger winning 14 or 20 wont really help deciding who is the greatest of all times in my opinion. Even if it's probably the most fair way to meassure it. What if Jack was chasing Tigers record? Would he have won 18, 20 or 10? We do know that a 58 year old, far, far from his prime who played vs Jack almost won a major in todays era. That's a reference point showing the best players of the 70s couldnt really have been that much worse.

And for all of you who keep saying Tiger is claiming injuries and withdrawing becuse of that.. Really. How absurd are those statements when you have seen all the away time he has had from the game becuse of all his injuries? I don't know if it's the hate, the IQ or whatever it is that makes you come to these conclusions over and over again. The level of that thinking is on such low level I wont mention it again, but it's pretty fascinating..

As for the topic. I still think it looks like his swing put much strain on his back. If anyone can change to one of the swings that won't it's Tiger. Something tells me he don't belive it worth the effort (an other year) as it would rob him of power and distance and he might only be your average PGA-your player that don't have the game needed for a major.

Honestly...

1) Bobby Jones

2) Jack

3) Ben Hogan

4) Tiger

And that's real talk...

Jones' 12&11 beat down at the hands of The Haig had far reaching and long lasting effects on him mentally/psychologically, to the effect and depth that Jones himself said, and this was seconded in later years by his close friends, that his decision as to whether to turn Pro or remain an Am was made for him across those 36 holes. Yes, it was when he was younger though it convinced him to keep his day job in Daddy's law firm, lol.

Playing for fun, glory and the spirit of the game is all great and stuff but Playing for the roof over your wife and childrens' head, the food on their table and the clothes on their back is a whhhhhhhhole different game and takes a completely different Animal-

The Haig was that Animal...,

Jonesy???

He's the Greatest Am ever to plant the tee!!

However, as Jack said, to compare him to The Haig, Tiger, Jack, Sam, Hogan or really any of The Top 6-8 Champions depending, is like comparing apples to oranges.

In my eyes, a boi to a Man-

Just my .03 worth of course?

Nice post?

Just one question-

Why do people preface statements and sentences with "Truely," "honestly," or "to be honest with you" or my fave, "Frankly," lmao???

What, as opposed to being dishonest, untruthful or bloviating???

Just joshin with ya?

Besides, it is NOT for the speaker or author to determine if they are perceived as truthful, honest or frank, lol

It is up to the individual(s) that they are speaking/writing/typing to, and only them. Prefacing with a "starter" like those and others only causes another's radar to on and flags to go up-

At least that's how I was taught and what courts with me, be that as it may

Have a Great week My Friend?

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

i know competitive professional golf is more demanding, but I live in Florida where people in their 60's and 70's literally play a round 5-6x a week, if not every single day.

For him to still not be able to string together consecutive rounds of golf is a serious problem. This has been going on since his mid 30's.

There's a slew of pro golfers in their 40's and 50's doing it without a problem.

As a tiger fan, I really do think he's done now. He took a year off to rehab and he still can't play 2 tournaments.

I still wouldn't count out him grabbing #15 sometime in the next 5 years though. :)

Besides his long game, his short game is no longer what it was. His putting has also deserted him. These were the strengths had helped him win. They turned good rounds into brilliant rounds and his bad rounds into good.

I never cared too much for his spitting and his thumping his driver into the ground.

He'll soon be having more comebacks than Sinatra.

Let ma preface by saying I have never cared for or about Tiger. His club slamming and tossing has no place in golf. Some will say thatsvjust part of the game, but I certainly don't remember it before Tiger.

I guess the things I dislike most about him though is that I can't remember him ever having "health issues" when he was on the first page of a leaderboard, but he has no problem walking away when his game is off. At this point every event he's in, I feel as though he's taking away a spot and chance from someone else to be actually playing the event.

I don't "hate" the guy, I just don't like him. It's time to move on Tigger, before you end up crippled and unable to walk. Go out and chase whores now. It seems to be what you do best for the past few years.

Let ma preface by saying I have never cared for or about Tiger. His club slamming and tossing has no place in golf. Some will say thatsvjust part of the game, but I certainly don't remember it before Tiger.

I guess the things I dislike most about him though is that I can't remember him ever having "health issues" when he was on the first page of a leaderboard, but he has no problem walking away when his game is off. At this point every event he's in, I feel as though he's taking away a spot and chance from someone else to be actually playing the event.

I don't "hate" the guy, I just don't like him. It's time to move on Tigger, before you end up crippled and unable to walk. Go out and chase whores now. It seems to be what you do best for the past few years.

No club slamming and tossing before TW?

I bet he invented cussing too ; )

Was this club toss modelled on TW?

http://youtu.be/E2aGo7hLJoE

Best was, never forget, I was a kid and this board member, after a bad round, throws his whole bag of clubs in the lake. One by one.

$hit manners were around a long time before TW.

When an athlete can no longer trust their body it starts a downward spiral that almost always ends with limping away from the game just that little bit too late.

I don't blame Tiger for still trying. 18 majors was right there for him, but if he can't compete by the end of this year he needs to retire. And I think he would do that if he can't play well. I hope somehow Firestone and the WGC lets him compete once more there in addition to the majors, Bay Hill, the Memorial, the Players, and Quicken Loans.

No-just no. I am a Tiger fan but the WGC should not start adding exemptions. If he chooses to use them when needed he can get them for a few years for the US Open as they have always done for a select few but not an event with a hard and fast requirement.

Agreed. If they start doing that why not hand exemptions to the dozens of other golfers who have played badly for the last four years?

Because no one is Tiger. Old Tom Morris, Bobby Jones, Arnie, Jack, and Tiger are on the Mt Rushmore of golf. It's OK to make one exception one time for an all-timer at Firestone.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Best was, never forget, I was a kid and this board member, after a bad round, throws his whole bag of clubs in the lake. One by one.

I don't recall saying that Tiger started it, and yes, crappy manners have been around for ever, BUT when you're the big name, and icon, it's not a bad idea to realize that there's a LOT of impressionable young people watching. And please, save me the lame Word not allowed excuse that the don't choose to be role models. That's such an irresponsible view. Think back to other GOAT's, and remind me how they acted like spoiled brats... MJ?... no. Jerry Rice? Joe Montana?

Tiger exemplifies what it means to be an irresponsible mega star. You're really going to throw Caddy Shack out there? Last I checked, it's a movie. Even the simplest of folks know that movies aren't reality.

Tiger fans are a lot like Hillary supporters. Blinded by their adoration of someone undeserving of it.

yes, but Tiger specialized the art of cussing and throwing!

Because no one is Tiger. Old Tom Morris, Bobby Jones, Arnie, Jack, and Tiger are on the Mt Rushmore of golf. It's OK to make one exception one time for an all-timer at Firestone.

WGCs are no-cut events and they don't do exemptions, presumably at least partly because doing so is equivalent to giving out free OWGR points.

Tiger has plenty of other venues to be a ceremonial golfer if he wants to. The USGA will probably give him invites for a few years, and he's exempt in the other 3 majors for at least a couple decades.

He can go to Bay Hill and Memorial and any other regular PGA Tour event as long as he wants.

Didn't Jones say that Jack played a game that he was not familiar with? Jack also repeated that same quote about Tiger. I still consider Jack to be the GOAT but Tiger being 4th is just wrong no matter what you think of him.

I rank them Tiger, Jack; but I can see the argument for Jack, Tiger. Sometimes I'll even play devil's advocate and make it, when the faithful are being particularly annoying.

But you have to come up with some truly fantastical reasoning to rank anyone else above either of those two.

TW has always been fascinating to me. No mistaking a shot hit by him. The air sizzled. You didn't need to see who hit the shot to know who was the author of it. Very, very few whom I've seen play here in Akron could do that. And of all the great shots I've seen live or on the screen many, if not most, were his. And they were astonishing. Compelling. His talent and drive were second to no one ever who has played this game.

Having said all that, I wish for him and us things could have been different. We had to invade and intrude to the point where he had to isolate. We demanded access, he demanded space. Truly a product of his time.

I am not necessarily a sympathizer, but it makes me more than a little sad that his career has come down to this.

In a multitude of biased, emotional one sided diatribes (on both sides of the argument), a ray of measured, intelligent, profound sunshine bursts through the gloom. The best tiger related post ever seen on wrx. Well played sir.

In a multitude of biased, emotional one sided diatribes (on both sides of the argument), a ray of measured, intelligent, profound sunshine bursts through the gloom. The best tiger related post ever seen on wrx. Well played sir.

I disagree...a well struck golf shot is magical no matter who hits it and the results can only be measured in degrees of closeness to the target. I would buy into your statement if TW holed out from the fairway much more than is normal for tour players but he did not ...he just hit great shots and the media hyped him to sell rag & Nike equipment. Im not saying the guy was not special in his prime but the air crackling as the ball flew? C'om-on-Man... There was never a rainbow trail following TW's balls in the air...where he mainly made his reputation was on & around the greens in his prime.