2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

LPGA + Augusta National

Medic

I agree that the LPGA should develop something along the line of the Masters but strongly disagree on it being Augusta. They need to continue to forge their own path. Develop a relationship with Pine Valley, Cypress, The Country Club, Oakland Hills, San Francisco Golf Club or even somewhere like Pasatiempo. They don't need the length the men's needs to play to, so find a course and members or a city who wants it known how great the course is.

Establish their own tradition like no other.

PV and Cypress no chance, are they gonna have to play Sunday afternoons only at PV? I like Pasa a lot tho, is Crystal Downs too remote?

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the LPGA should develop something along the line of the Masters but strongly disagree on it being Augusta. They need to continue to forge their own path. Develop a relationship with Pine Valley, Cypress, The Country Club, Oakland Hills, San Francisco Golf Club or even somewhere like Pasatiempo. They don't need the length the men's needs to play to, so find a course and members or a city who wants it known how great the course is.

PV and Cypress no chance, are they gonna have to play Sunday afternoons only at PV? I like Pasa a lot tho, is Crystal Downs too remote?

Not sure on that but many would say Augusta is pretty remote too.

See that is exactly the way they need to look at it, IMO. It seems like they have a decent number of tourneys now and are on fairly solid footing. Now would be a good time to take a step and invest in a relationship that might not pay immediate dividends.

Not sure on that but many would say Augusta is pretty remote too.

See that is exactly the way they need to look at it, IMO. It seems like they have a decent number of tourneys now and are on fairly solid footing. Now would be a good time to take a step and invest in a relationship that might not pay immediate dividends.

Yup exactly I agree, plus I don't really understand their infatuation with ANGC, yes it is a world class course and facility, but they shunned the ladies forever. Personally I don't have much of a problem with their past policies as I think private things should more or less have the rights to admit who they choose, but if I was a lass I'd feel slighted and would rather search elsewhere.

Edit: Plus there's gotta be a bunch of awesome under length MacRaynor or Tilly courses that they could target

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

The trouble as I see it is, the ladies aren't playing as many "name-known" courses.

Pebble.

Sawgrass.

Bay Hill.

Copperhead.

Firestone.

Baltusrol. (sp?)

This list could go on and on. The PGA played and/or plays there. And people get to know those famous courses.

If the ladies could make a course as famous and draw play to that course it might be amazing for the LPGA regarding fans. I personally love following them. They are so talented....

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

The Masters idea is good but it has to fit before the late season Asian leg, which looking beyond Evian in late September, there are no open slots. I personally think any Masters tournament should move around and not just be limited to courses in the US.

If Augusta National chooses not to embrace the LPGA, it is their loss because there are so many golf courses who are ready to showcase the LPGA. Perhaps Augusta National doesn't have enough women's changing rooms... kekeke

Some good ideas on here. Similar to the US Women's Open held at Interlachen a few years back. A gem the men have outgrown. There are quite a few Donald Ross type courses out there that would be perfect.

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

The trouble as I see it is, the ladies aren't playing as many "name-known" courses.

Pebble.

Even the USGA pays lip service to the gals.

They've never played a USWO at Pebble.

The USGA gets the gals on a really nice course every 10 years or so to quiet them a bit....2010 Oakmont....2021 Olympic.

Even the Champions tour plays Pebble on an annual basis.

Pebble.

Even the USGA pays lip service to the gals.

They've never played a USWO at Pebble.

The USGA gets the gals on a really nice course every 10 years or so to quiet them a bit....2010 Oakmont....2021 Olympic.

Even the Champions tour plays Pebble on an annual basis.

Sebonac is awesome, Interlachen is sweet, Country Club of Charleston is a great classic Raynor, Champions has some awesome history. Just cause they aren't as well known as the mens course doesn't mean they aren't awesome tracks

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Seriously, a lot of fine US courses on the PGA/USGA rota are set up to be very tough to the point of being brutal. Yeah they are a serious test for any golfer but I don't think these would be suitable for the LPGA. I would actually prefer the LPGA develop their own rota of championship courses. Why follow what the men's and senior men's tour are playing?

That is part of why I think they should find a course and membership that is willing to work with them. How well would Augusta be known without the Masters. Let the LPGA and a course develop that tradition for themselves. Be it a public or private course. I would prefer it not to be a rotation, let the fans get to know the course and make it a destination for golf fans.

Never say never... I would personally love to see a ladies Masters. But I guess the bosses are still recovering from letting Condolezza and that money woman in. But in a decade or two, who knows?

Used to be one for women in Norway, it's dead. Don't think LPGA even plays in Scandinavia any more?

Plenty of women's events here and elsewhere. You guys need to step up and have a women's Masters!

As I mentioned in the thread about last week's event here the lpga did zero advertising this year. Back in the Ping at Moon Valley days it was much bigger. And advertised. Same when it was at Superstition Mountain and was the Safeway. Much bigger crowd. Now it's disgusting imo how little mention there is in local media.

I have no explanation why attendance dropped so dramatically in 2015....I was expecting much bigger galleries than 2012.

IMO, the LPGA is viewed as too Asian and white audiences don't want to follow. Plus the fact that the only golfer with the ability to move the ratings needle sucked as a golfer (but is making her way back!)

Would not surprise me at all if the LPGA is eventually in some type of significant partnership with the PGA within the next 10 years. Maybe even sooner with new television contracts for the PGA coming up in the next few years and talk of their own golf network.

It already took place. A PGA Tour/LPGA Tour partnership was announced last year.

http://golfweek.com/2016/03/04/pga-tour-lpga-announce-partnership-lead-joint-events/

They blew it many years ago when they moved the LPGA Championship out of Bethesda Country Club in suburban DC. If they had shifted that tournament two weeks earlier to Mother's Day (when there currently is no tournament), they would have caught the course in full bloom, and it would have televised beautifully.

Not as long as the old guard is in control at AN. It would take lobbying of Jack and Arnie (too late) and Tiger and a lot of prayers to get that to happen.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

Would not surprise me at all if the LPGA is eventually in some type of significant partnership with the PGA within the next 10 years. Maybe even sooner with new television contracts for the PGA coming up in the next few years and talk of their own golf network.

It already took place. A PGA Tour/LPGA Tour partnership was announced last year.

http://golfweek.com/...d-joint-events/

So I was right again :taunt: Just kidding.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a "merger" type of partnership. For instance, both tours would be included in the television contracts together instead of separate agreements. Or even a scenario where the LPGA would receive financial support from the PGA.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a "merger" type of partnership. For instance, both tours would be included in the television contracts together instead of separate agreements. Or even a scenario where the LPGA would receive financial support from the PGA.

I dont see that happening. LPGA isnt worth much in the US. Why should the PGA subsidize the LPGA when its gone massively international.

I dont see that happening. LPGA isnt worth much in the US. Why should the PGA subsidize the LPGA when its gone massively international.

For the same reason they subsidize the MacKenzie Tour Canada, the PGA Tour LatinoAmerica, and the PGA Tour China.

For the same reason they subsidize the MacKenzie Tour Canada, the PGA Tour LatinoAmerica, and the PGA Tour China.

No, the reason they do that is to provide a path for players to make it to the PGATour, when was the last time someone made the jump from LPGA to PGA?

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62