2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

LPGA + Augusta National

Medic

I love watching the LPGA. A ton of talent and great competition.

Isn't it about time that there is a true "Lady's Masters" held at Augusta National?

Times have changed. The membership rules there have changed. And I would love to see how Stacy's game held up to Augusta. (A bit shorter perhaps but then again that's one of the things I like about watching them because I can relate my own distances better to theirs than to the fellows)

Am I way off here? Anyone else think this could be an awesome event?

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the few items I don't care for about the LPGA is how they have determined their tourney "Majors". I am not sure they are at four, as in the PGA or USGA, but some have been added quite recently. Not as much history, perhaps.

Anyways, a Lady Masters would indeed be cool, with appropriate tees. Then, that certainly would be another "new" major, so maybe take out their last one? How many should there be? Even the other country club sport, tennis, has four with men/women.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

The ANA/DinahShore is the Ladies Masters with a great tradition.

Ladies don't need to copy the men's game but rather strike out on their own path. For example, there's all this talk about the men's game making old, but great, courses obsolete - ladies don't have that problem so they should take advantage of that fact.

It'll never happen. AGNC is already shut down 3 months out of the year getting ready for the Masters. Members want to play the course too.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/masters-chairman-says-no-lpga-event

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

I would watch :wave: . However, I don't see that happening any time soon. The Augusta members are very conservative and I think they think that allowing the LPGA on their hollowed ground would lessen the importance of the Masters. These are still old southern boys, many of them think women should be in the kitchen. Don't think they want to change their exclusivity.

I see couple of problems.

1) ANGC is already closed approx 5 months of the year (near the end of May to middle of October). The members may or may not want to give up any of their already short season.

2) There are only two sets of tees at Augusta. The championship tees, which the ladies can't play and the member tees at 6200 yards. I guess they could play the member tees.

But question. I read on here that there are actually two courses at Augusta. The famous one and another one that the members can use when the main one isn't available.

So...

What about allowing the gals to play the back-up? You KNOW it has to be something really special and then they could still call it The Ladies Masters at Augusta.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

But question. I read on here that there are actually two courses at Augusta. The famous one and another one that the members can use when the main one isn't available.

So...

What about allowing the gals to play the back-up? You KNOW it has to be something really special and then they could still call it The Ladies Masters at Augusta.

???? Never heard this before, to my knowledge, there is only the 18 hole championship course and the 9 hole par 3 course. Satellite shots on google earth confirm this. Are you serious, or am I just missing the sarcasm??

So...

???? Never heard this before, to my knowledge, there is only the 18 hole championship course and the 9 hole par 3 course. Satellite shots on google earth confirm this. Are you serious, or am I just missing the sarcasm??

No, I recall reading something here awhile back that the members are allowed access to another 18. Perhaps not on same property? But if the members are using it as a fill-in you know:

1. It's awesome.

2. It's in Augusta.

Just having an LPGA event in famed Augusta at an incredible track would be interesting to me.

It wasn't that long ago that there was a thread talking about ANGC being closed much of the year and one of the replies talked about where the members play when their course isn't available.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

So...

No, I recall reading something here awhile back that the members are allowed access to another 18. Perhaps not on same property? But if the members are using it as a fill-in you know:

1. It's awesome.

2. It's in Augusta.

Just having an LPGA event in famed Augusta at an incredible track would be interesting to me.

It wasn't that long ago that there was a thread talking about ANGC being closed much of the year and one of the replies talked about where the members play when their course isn't available.

Hate to break it to you, other than ANGC, Augusta the city is pretty small and not really a destination city. To put it nicely. They do have a Hooters though.

If it's in Augusta, and not at ANGC, you might as well have it on the moon.

As for another, club, you may be thinking of Augusta Country Club. Some of the holes of ACC run along the 13th I believe. They are not affiliated, but I'm sure most of the members of ANGC have more than one membership.

Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

So...

1. It's awesome.

2. It's in Augusta.

Hate to break it to you, other than ANGC, Augusta the city is pretty small and not really a destination city. To put it nicely. They do have a Hooters though.

Perhaps a new thread asking where the members play when the course is closed? (As opposed to attempting to search for the previous thread that someone posted about it)

Have personally been "through" Augusta but never "to".

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

So...

1. It's awesome.

2. It's in Augusta.

Perhaps a new thread asking where the members play when the course is closed? (As opposed to attempting to search for the previous thread that someone posted about it)

The vast majority of the members don't live in Augusta. It's Augusta "NATIONAL". Which the founders meant to have members from all over the country. Captains of industry, world leaders, etc.

Wish I could recall the thread it was in. The post said something about members of Augusta National being able to play at the other course with reciprocity.

With my memory, odds are it might have been a course up near DC. (lol)

A friend of mine is a member at a course down in Naples and gets to play other courses as a guest member anytime his course isn't available for whatever reason. Pretty nice deal actually because he is allowed to bring guests and I got to play a REALLY nice course with him down there once.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

1. It's awesome.

2. It's in Augusta.

The vast majority of the members don't live in Augusta. It's Augusta "NATIONAL". Which the founders meant to have members from all over the country. Captains of industry, world leaders, etc.

This^^^^^^.

The vast majority of the membership is not local, is loaded, and is likely holds memberships at several other top clubs in addition to their ANGC membership (think Shinnecock, Seminole, Cypress, Olympic, Winged Foot, etc etc). There are some local members but I can guarantee there isn't a single member at ANGC that doesn't have at least one other membership somewhere else.

Ain't happening.....

The membership would never host in the spring prior to the Masters and there isn't enough time after the Masters before the club closes.

One slim possibility would be that ANGC hosts the Solheim Cup in the fall...but unlikely.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

No it makes no sense for the membership of ANGC, they're already closed for nearly half the year, this would be asking for another week plus from the membership. Why ANGC is the end all be all is beyond me, why not find another classic course preferably one that's too short for the men to play, give the viewers another wonderful property to watch on a regular basis. Say Crystal Downs

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

So...

1. It's awesome.

2. It's in Augusta.

Most of the more local members are members at Augusta CC which is right across rae's creek behind number 12 at ANGC. Augusta CC is a Ross designed that was restored a handful of years ago and is a very good course in it's own right. There's a story of Jeff Knox (the famous playing marker) hitting balls at the range at ANGC, I think Mr. Payne went up to him to ask what time he was going out to play. Knox replied he was just there to hit balls to which the head jacket kindly reminded him that ACC has a perfectly good range across the river if that's all he's there to do. All alleged and I forget who exactly I heard this from

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Few points here.

1: Doing it the week before or a few weeks before the Masters is not going to happen.

2: Doing it the week after presents some problems. The fairways for the men are mowed back towards the tees to eliminate roll out, this would be a problem for the ladies.

3: Tees, ANGC only has the two sets of tees, Members and Masters. There is no in between and with the exception of a few holes 3,12,14,15 Maybe 17 back to 440 it would be tough to get the course over 6500 yards for the ladies without having a few insanely long holes for them. Playing it too short giving them wedges into every hole is boring, playing some of the holes back from the Masters tees would make holding some of the greens near impossible

4:Knock it Close is right I would much rather see the ladies start a new tradition and make their own version of The Masters vs play at ANGC just because the men do. I mean they already have an event similar with the ANA being held at the same course with significant LPGA history. Only problem is the course is not that exciting.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I understand the sentiment, but it isn't going to happen. Plenty of venues for golf tournaments, one venue for The Masters and yes, it takes loads of time and resources. They don't spend millions on a regular basis to keep the property in incredible condition, make improvements, etc. to take away from their event for what would be a sideshow event.

Frankly, I enjoy watching the drive, chip and putt more than I would ever enjoy watching an LPGA event there (and I like the ladies' game a lot and watch a lot). That fits in well with The Masters in a lot of ways, and underscores the millions the members have invested in all sorts of ways to improve the game of golf over the years.

Again, I understand the sentiment but they don't want to have such an event, so they just won't.