Someone's lyin' about their golf game when they....

I hear the 'swing changes' excuse a lot. To be fair, I've adjusted my grip this year though and holy crap, never has such a small change had such an impact on my game.

Ball flight is completely different than before, distances are off when the wind is up, what a big change this has turned out to be! It's absolutely had an impact on my scores(somedays in a positive fashion, somedays the other way :) ).

I give swing change guys a break, cause it is really hard to ingrain a swing change. Normally, the more they try to explain about the swing change, the less likely it is they are really going through a swing change....

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found myself in the awkward position of having to drop some truth on a few people I've been paired up with over the years. It would usually go something like this,

Him"You hit the ball a long way. I usually hit it around 260 off the tee. You must be hitting it over 300 yards?"

Me" No, that one was about 280 (it's a solid 50 yards past his drive and I usually play from the tips)"

Him"Really?"

Me"Yes. I can hit it over 300 occasionally, but it's by no means every time."

I imagine he thought I was the liar at that point. The distance obsession is probably the biggest thing people lie about. It's funny how you hardly ever hear anyone brag about their putting.

I'm in the same boat. Its amazing what some people think about their distances because of that one time the tees were moved up and they drove it downwind downhill to a certain numbered plaque/sprinkler. I like to show them their GPS-measured shot distance when we get to their ball.

I never knew how the HCP system worked until this year as well. Again, I was always ignorant over the years regarding golf but I'd still ask my coworkers "how good are you at golf?" Only to have each of them claim a 10-12hcp and one claim a 8hcp.

No offense, but it always tickles me what people think a handicap is. I'm pretty sure most people think its like the best score to par they've ever shot or something, not what it actually is. Anytime someone starts with "probably" or has to think about it I know to completely ignore it and instead ask what they normally shoot (then add 10 or so, depending on how high it is, for all the mulligans, improper/free drops, and gimmes they definitely take). I don't care unless its for money, but having not played my first tournament until I was an adult, its eye opening for the average whatever recreational golfer to realize what they'd actually average if they played by all the rules.

I hear the 'swing changes' excuse a lot.

I agree. Been there, done that, twice. I get it, and understand if someone says they'll probably have some good, some bad, and mostly just average shots.

The bet lie/excuse I've ever heard was yesterday. We played Longaberger from the blues, 6,664 yards 72.2/134. Guy shoots a 110. His response? "Next time we need to play from the tips. I was too close and had to use my 9 iron too much."

Ping G410 9*
Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
Ping i210 4-U
Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
Ping Anser 85029 Dalehead
Srixon Z-Star or Q-Star tour depending on conditions

The bet lie/excuse I've ever heard was yesterday. We played Longaberger from the blues, 6,664 yards 72.2/134. Guy shoots a 110. His response? "Next time we need to play from the tips. I was too close and had to use my 9 iron too much."

Oh man. Those tricky 9 iron approaches. I'm sure he'd much rather have a 3 iron into every green. Poor guy.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Oh man. Those tricky 9 iron approaches. I'm sure he'd much rather have a 3 iron into every green. Poor guy.

Yeah, so at Virtues (Longaberger) from the black tees, on #4 @ 563 yds. he could hit his probably typical driver or 3-wood at say 330, then have a nice soft 233 yd. 3-iron into the green, that should make him happier...

Oh man, played with so many of these people so it's funny reading these.

I suck, and I tell people I do. :) One round on #1, I luckily hit a straight drive, then followed up with a good wedge shot pin high for a look at a 10ft birdie. One of the guys we got paired up with said "Now we know who the ringer is" and I quickly said "no way, those will probably be my 2 best shots of the day, don't let that fool you" I ended up 3-putting for a bogey! I was ecstatic with that hole!

My funnest rounds have been with people that were honest about their games.

WITB:

Woods: Ping G430 LST, Ping G430Max 3w, Ping G430 3Hybrid (20°) / Titleist T200 2iron

Irons: 2023 Titleist T150 (6-GW), T200 (4-5)

Wedges: 54D12°, 60M08° Wedges

Putter: SC Newport 2.5+ 34"

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I just play golf. If a guys says hes scratch or a 12 I'm not impressed or unimpressed either way, but I can guarantee I never asked him what his handicap was since I don't care.

Guys who always want to know what everyone's handicap is and expect every shot/round to reflect that number perfectly are worse to play with than liars. Just MO.

I just tell people that I suck ahead of time. Set the expectations low so that people will never be disappointed.

Ha. That's what I do. Always add a few to the hcp when they ask.

I do that on my travels. Something satisfying about being paired up with people who are "a legit 5" only to see them triple the first.

"Shoulda warmed up."

Should've got lessons mate but there we go.

"I carry my driver 300 yards" You know that is a lie when you outdrive the guy and you only drive the ball 260.

We met someone like that in St Cloud last week always going on about how he drove it three hundred plus. After the fourth sub 200 hundred drive my mate said asked him if he was including the cart ride in his carry total. Suddenly his back was stiff and he drove off after another two horrible drives.

Reminds me of new years 2017. I play two consecutive rounds in ft Myers. Shoot low 80's. Couple bad holes but thought I was ok after 2 WEEK hiatus

Next day. I play raptor bay for $25 golfnow.

The 3 guys I'm paired with all wanna play tips. They ask me my HI. I reply 8 9 maybe a 10 ...i look at the scorecard and agree. I par the 1st hole. The only one under a 6. Then I proceed to shoot a fat 102. I couldn't hit a driver 3w nothing. I had no long game. Had to tee off with irons

They must have thought my handicap was all BS

Reminds me of new years 2017. I play two consecutive rounds in ft Myers. Shoot low 80's. Couple bad holes but thought I was ok after 2 WEEK hiatus

Next day. I play raptor bay for $25 golfnow.

The 3 guys I'm paired with all wanna play tips. They ask me my HI. I reply 8 9 maybe a 10 ...i look at the scorecard and agree. I par the 1st hole. The only one under a 6. Then I proceed to shoot a fat 102. I couldn't hit a driver 3w nothing. I had no long game. Had to tee off with irons

They must have thought my handicap was all BS

Hey, you'll probably never see them again :lock:

15 hcp

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite story took place a couple of years ago. I was paired with a college kid who said he had been playing golf his whole life.

On the first hole he missed a 4 footer and he said, "Man I have never missed a putt that short."

I immediately questioned him on that and told him that I once missed a 3 inch putt in a tournament because I lost my balance on a one handed tap in. The kid refused to relent.

Two holes later he missed a 3 footer. 4 holes after that he missed what was close to a 2 footer.

Finally on the 18th - in a pin position that was clearly evil he missed a putt under a foot.

As we walked off the course I said to him in a nice but teasing manner:

"Well you can now say you haven't missed a putt longer than 10 inches. But remember you have me beat."

• 9 months later...

...they carry a ball in their pocket all the time during play...sorry, you are probably going to cheat at some point, which is, you know, something that happens...

I take a bit of offense on this one as I always have a 2nd ball in my pocket so I dont' have to walk bag to my bag when I have to take a drop :)

I feel like I see so many very low digit singles in people’s avatars, and to maintain you wouldn’t be on this site as the 1-3 caps I know are out grinding to the point the last thing they would be doing is writing novels on WRX

*and some of their posts i.e. “2 stroke penalty in the water” seems like a straight up lie, yet I’d a single....if wasn’t playing that way for years that person would be scratch or better....not buying it.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

I feel like I see so many very low digit singles in people's avatars, and to maintain you wouldn't be on this site as the 1-3 caps I know are out grinding to the point the last thing they would be doing is writing novels on WRX

*and some of their posts i.e. "2 stroke penalty in the water" seems like a straight up lie, yet I'd a single....if wasn't playing that way for years that person would be scratch or better....not buying it.

Anybody have a spare Rosetta stone? I have no idea what this says

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

Interesting that most of these posts are about braggarts who are full of it and can't play worth a lick.

At our club it's the opposite. Most downplay their abilities and try (very stealthily and creatively) to keep their handicaps up...lol!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I feel like I see so many very low digit singles in people's avatars, and to maintain you wouldn't be on this site as the 1-3 caps I know are out grinding to the point the last thing they would be doing is writing novels on WRX

*and some of their posts i.e. "2 stroke penalty in the water" seems like a straight up lie, yet I'd a single....if wasn't playing that way for years that person would be scratch or better....not buying it.

Anybody have a spare Rosetta stone? I have no idea what this says

What don’t you understand? Maybe you need “hooked on Phonics;)” Read the topic posted recently I described by a one handicap who thought hitting in water was a 2-stroke penalty (would you believe an almost scratch golfer doesn’t understand the basic rules?). And other point seems he who makes the most posts on WRX has lowest handicap OR is a 2,3,4 etc, which I do t think is attainable behind a pc screen all day. Therefore I think their caps aren’t true. Making one a liar. Get it?

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1