2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Finish this sentence...."You know you're in for a long day when..."

Medic

When the group in front of you takes 30 minutes to play a par-3!

Is this one of those "240yds over water into a 3 club wind" type of Par 3's? How is that even possible? I would pull out what's left of my hair if I was stuck behind that!

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

Not really all that memorable. We to a man thought he'd never make it. Tells you what we know.

Got to ask. And I am NOT being a DB - serious question actually.

You beat Na. Why didn't you end up going pro? I know it's hard, few make it, and all of the other things people say when asked this. But could not help but be a little nosey because odds are you have the talent and I could not help but wonder what kept you from heading down that pathway in life?

For the record a friend of mine had the ability and talent but just did not want to turn golf into a job. So now he's "living the dream" as a Firefighter/Paramedic here in Florida. He still plays WELL and is a hoot to have on a scramble team. And he even still talks about taking the mini tours on again in his off time. But for him golf was fun and he wanted to keep it that way I guess. Plus, as he put it, not too many make it on tour.

Thanks in advance BTW.

I nowhere near had the game to go pro. I've achieved a few things at the am level but in my prime I would get absolutely worked by a tour pro. I have 2 cousins who won on tour and I can't sniff their amount of talent. Those on here who know will tell you that the difference between a good local am and the tour is light years.

That day with Na was more about a 16 year old kid with a lot of talent just not being mentally tough enough at that time in his life to play with seasoned competitors twice his age for more money than he'd ever seen at that point in his life. We were a measuring stick for him and his dad. Like I said, we were dead wrong about this kid.

Another funny story along these lines. One of my friends who played that day, a fairly accomplished am in those days, had a well heeled brother who dabbled in sponsoring golfers trying to get on tour. A few years prior, his brother asked him to take a young golfer out for a couple of rounds to see if he was worth sponsoring. My friend, John, reported back to his brother " He's got a great swing, but he can't putt. Pass on this one." The young golfer was Vijay Singh. You never know for sure.

Not really all that memorable. We to a man thought he'd never make it. Tells you what we know.

You beat Na. Why didn't you end up going pro? I know it's hard, few make it, and all of the other things people say when asked this. But could not help but be a little nosey because odds are you have the talent and I could not help but wonder what kept you from heading down that pathway in life?

For the record a friend of mine had the ability and talent but just did not want to turn golf into a job. So now he's "living the dream" as a Firefighter/Paramedic here in Florida. He still plays WELL and is a hoot to have on a scramble team. And he even still talks about taking the mini tours on again in his off time. But for him golf was fun and he wanted to keep it that way I guess. Plus, as he put it, not too many make it on tour.

Thanks in advance BTW.

I nowhere near had the game to go pro. I've achieved a few things at the am level but in my prime I would get absolutely worked by a tour pro. I have 2 cousins who won on tour and I can't sniff their amount of talent. Those on here who know will tell you that the difference between a good local am and the tour is light years.

That day with Na was more about a 16 year old kid with a lot of talent just not being mentally tough enough at that time in his life to play with seasoned competitors twice his age for more money than he'd ever seen at that point in his life. We were a measuring stick for him and his dad. Like I said, we were dead wrong about this kid.

Another funny story along these lines. One of my friends who played that day, a fairly accomplished am in those days, had a well heeled brother who dabbled in sponsoring golfers trying to get on tour. A few years prior, his brother asked him to take a young golfer out for a couple of rounds to see if he was worth sponsoring. My friend, John, reported back to his brother " He's got a great swing, but he can't putt. Pass on this one." The young golfer was Vijay Singh. You never know for sure.

I would love to play a round with you, break some bread afterwards and share a brew, and just listen to some of your backstory.

Thanks for the reply. Love your insight. Hard to realize how many truly talented people there are out there who are close but not close enough.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Thanks in advance BTW.

I would love to play a round with you, break some bread afterwards and share a brew, and just listen to some of your backstory.

Thanks for the reply. Love your insight. Hard to realize how many truly talented people there are out there who are close but not close enough.

If you ever make it to SoCal, we'll definitely tee it up. I've been fortunate enough to play with some great golfers you've all heard of and some even better ones you haven't. Some guys have crazy talent but are mentally challenged or have some bad circumstances in their lives that keep them from being special. Na is a good example of someone who developed the mental toughness to overcome some challenges and become highly successful.

When on the third tee box that is a par 3 you have not 2, but 4 groups waiting on the tee box. This is a course I will never go to again. They have tee times 5 minutes apart and seems to be a common occurrence because I gave it another chance recently and second time wasn't much better. No Marshal's and they refuse to do anything when you call the clubhouse.

My 3some caught up with a twosome just as they were teeing off on a par 3. It was 25 minutes before we could tee off after them. One guy had a legitimate 60 second preshot routine for each of his 4 shots to get to the green, then between the 2 of them they spent a solid 5-6 minutes reading their putts and putting.

They didn't let us through after the par 3, and the last 3 holes took an hour +.

My 3some caught up with a twosome just as they were teeing off on a par 3. It was 25 minutes before we could tee off after them. One guy had a legitimate 60 second preshot routine for each of his 4 shots to get to the green, then between the 2 of them they spent a solid 5-6 minutes reading their putts and putting.

They didn't let us through after the par 3, and the last 3 holes took an hour +.

I play with a guy in league that has a similar pre-shot routine. He waggles the club for a while, lets it sit behind the ball for 10-15 seconds, and then....... takes a practice swing. I wish I was kidding. The sad thing is I think he shot 50+ on 9 holes. He would be so much better off just stepping up and hitting.

Edit: I play against*** I wouldn't be able to play with this guy weekly. Once every other month is way too much already.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

When you double the first two holes!

I can do that, too....but quickly :rofl: :rofl:

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

When you haven't gotten out for any after work 9's in the last 3 weeks. No matter how much extra time you put in the emails/problems just won't stop and the weather hasn't exactly cooperated. Right now a 3 hour nine behind 4 blue haired biddy's that knock the ball 50 yards on each shot seems like it would palatable... but I'm sure I would tire of it quick. Today is going to be a loooooooooong day. Thankfully the weekend is coming.

My wife and i pull up to the first tee; it's our tee time but there is a lady there doing some stretches to warm up. She has all the best gear, M1 driver etc. She is dressed in the Michelle Wie collection. She pegs up a ball on the back tee. She didn't speak english very well, but when she sees us she says, "Do you want to go ahead?". The only time I've seen a lady golfer hit from the backs is when they are very good, so we said "No, you go ahead".

She cold tops the ball 30 yards. Ok that could happen to anyone. She re-tees. Another just terrible shot about 40 yards. So I say to her, "Look you should really be playing the reds; my wife and I will play through". She gave us a very confused look, she didn't know there was more than one tee I guess. Luckily we both hit great tee shots and are on our way. We never saw her again, I think it took her about 1/2 hour to play the first hole. She must have cause quite a backup for the players behind her.

I know I'm in for a long day when I'm striping them on the driving range.

Without fail, I do a 180º opposite of whatever I'm doing on the range. Hitting everything super pure and straight on the range? I'll slice and shank everything on the course and shoot bogey golf.

Hitting super fat and thin shots on the range? I'll probably go out and break 80 without really even trying.

When you're not that great of a player and you birdie the first hole... if you've been there you just plain know what I mean... :nea:

On a similar note, when the first tee shot of the day with no warm up is a beautiful 5 yard draw about 260, you know it's all going to go downhill from there.

I did this my last round. Striped my drive off number 1 par 5 363 yards, then proceeded to blade my 60 yard pitch OB.

Finished the day carding a 98

....you show up to work and nightshift is working a double fatality car crash and require 4 officers from your shift for relief and there's 15 calls holding in the call queue.

I'd rather have a long day on the golf course than a short day at work!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

when you notice you lost your towel on hole #3 and have to run back to hole #1 to get it

OMG, it's just a towel... let it go. I once lost a white plastic tee on the first hole and ran back 6 holes to retrieve it. But it was gone. Tee thieves, the lowest scum.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

when you notice you lost your towel on hole #3 and have to run back to hole #1 to get it

OMG, it's just a towel... let it go. I once lost a white plastic tee on the first hole and ran back 6 holes to retrieve it. But it was gone. Tee thieves, the lowest scum.

Are you gonna buy him a new towel? He didn't mention the specifics of his towel. Was it a $30 Titleist towel? Was it a towel his grandfather gave to him or of some other sentimental value? Either way if I so much as leave a 1.99 divot tool somewhere I'm going back to get it. Play thru ya schmuck.

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

I see the guy I'm paired with take 4 practice swings on the first tee and slice the ball 150 into the trees.

The guy I get paired with takes a beautiful practice swing and the real thing looks like a stiffer, tighter, shorter, sped up to double speed hack compared to the practice swing. Means I'll be waiting on at least 100 shots that day.

A foursome of guys wearing thuggish street clothes, 2 bags between the four of them filled with granpas old clubs on a Sunday mid day at the local muni. Watched 2 of them shank 3 balls from the box into the water.

I was not behind them, witnessed them when I was teeing off on #10. Could not help but feel sorry for anyone teeing off behind them.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

When you've got 36 holes to play for your long awaited PGA players ability test and you promptly hook your first tee shot 50 yards OB onto the rooftops of the condos lining the first fairway....

Fortunately someone in the group lightens the mood by saying..., "well,....at least we didn't hear glass break!!"

As you are getting ready to tee off on the first hole a single riding pulls up so I offer to let him go ahead since he is riding and should be much faster than me since I am walking. He agrees and pulls out a driver for a 162 to 177 yard hole depending on which tees you play. This is when I start thinking 'uh-oh'. I tell him the yardage from both tees and he goes 'oh, I guess this is too much club' and goes back and pulls a 3-wood... 'uh-oh'. He then tees up 2 yards in front of the back tees and 13 yards behind the forward tees. Now I'm really starting to worry.

So of course he cold tops the tee shot and it goes 35 yards and about 20 left of center. I know I am going to have a decent wait so I have a seat on the bench and start messing around with my phone. A few minutes later I look up and the guy is abut 100 yards forward looking around for his first tee shot. I groan to myself but he just then gives up drops a ball and hits one at least in the air about 5 yards left and just short of the green into light rough. He then proceeds to drive around the back of the green, off the cart path, where you are not supposed to be with a cart and spends 4 minutes or so looking in every place but where his ball actually went. If I was in a cart I would have driven up and directed him to his ball but I wasn't walking 100 yards up and definitely not yelling across the length of the hole as there are numerous greens and tee boxes in the surrounding area.

Finally he throws his arms up in the air and gives up. He just heads off to the next tee. I finally tee off and by the time I get to the next tee I am waiting on this guy. He is driving forward out of tee shot range but then back into my range and then forward again. Finally he notices me and takes off toward the green. By the time I get to my tee shot he is on the next tee box. Finally, he is going to get ahead where he should be. Nope, spend a few more holes catching up to him only for him to notice me a minute or two later then speed off at the pace he should be playing. After the 5th hole I notice him go back to the 4th tee box.... right in front of a threesome. they must have said something to him as he comes back and tees off on number 6 as I am reaching the green on 5. More waiting on the front nine and by the time I finish 9 it took 1 hour and 45 minutes which is long when it's two singles with nobody in front.

This continues through hole number 11 until I am getting ready to tee off on 12. He comes driving back, right in my way, and proceeds to go back to tee off on 11. Finally got rid of the guy and the rest of the back 9 went quick without rushing.