2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Finish this sentence...."You know you're in for a long day when..."

Medic

...when you pull into the parking lot and see two large tour buses, and then the guy in the pro shop says "It might run a bit behind pace a bit today. There is a church group visiting from Korea and a lot of them have never played golf before."

After 3 hours we walked off after 8 holes. Never returned to that course.

When the shop pro asks if you really want to golf today...in the 114 degree Arizona Heat

My motto for golf in Arizona: If it ain't pourin' I'm playin'!

...when you pull into the parking lot and see two large tour buses, and then the guy in the pro shop says "It might run a bit behind pace a bit today. There is a church group visiting from Korea and a lot of them have never played golf before."

After 3 hours we walked off after 8 holes. Never returned to that course.

Ya think Mr. Pro Shop Guy? That must have been absolutely brutal to be behind. I'm amazed you made it through 8 holes.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

When you're the second tee time of the day, and the ranger drives up to you on the second fairway and tells your foursome to keep pace with the threesome in front of you, who only just got off the green.

Taylormade Stealth Plus 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 130MSI 70 TX
Taylormade Sim2 3W 15* w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue Stiff
Srixon H65 3H 19* w/ Mizayaki Kaula 7S
Ping i500 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw Milled Grind 50-54-58 
Bettinardi Model 1 Armlock 

"I'm just out to enjoy myself."

Nothing out of the ordinary, I go out to play a few balls, enjoy myself, with the aim of improving a part of my game. In Florida however if you're paired with a single that phrase roughly translates as "I've found my dad's set in the garage and I'm here to try them having never hit a club in my life."

This morning I experienced a first. Someone hitting a tee shot and being further away from the flag than when they put the tee in the ground.

When the shop pro asks if you really want to golf today...in the 114 degree Arizona Heat

But it's a dry heat....

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

But it's a dry heat....

I don't know why but it always irks me when people say that but are serious about it. Know what else is a dry heat? An oven. But I doubt anyone is going to willingly stand in front of an open oven door.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

When the random guy you've been paired up with says "nice shot" after every swing you make...even though you are totally hacking it around and clearly not happy with your "nice shots"

Oh my god does this drive me mad. I'm not even done my follow through and someone says that... it ends up in the flippin' trees. THANKS BUD. :angry:

When the random guy you've been paired up with says "nice shot" after every swing you make...even though you are totally hacking it around and clearly not happy with your "nice shots"

Oh my god does this drive me mad. I'm not even done my follow through and someone says that... it ends up in the flippin' trees. THANKS BUD. :angry:

Nice Post.

When the person added to your group says before we tee off "I try to play about 4x a week, handicap under 9 etc......" then walks to the tips "sometimes this course plays short (7100+ at the tips) so I use these boxes so I can use my driver more"

Then ........... takes a divot so big with his driver that Im still amazed the club didnt snap in half.

...the twosome they pair you up with says they play "best ball" up to the green. Then you realize in the fairway at 1 they "each" play best ball. Neither of them broke 90.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Hybrid: Titleist 818H 21°

Irons: Titleist T150 5-PW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 F-Grind 50° S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Ping Oslo 3

Here's a new one....

When you arrive at the first tee and the starter tells you that you will be put behind the lady's weekly league. You are a twosome and there are three full foursomes all waiting on one to tee off.

(Thankfully when I asked the starter if we could either proceed on to #2 or play ahead of them he asked them and they allowed us to go ahead - they were still on the tee as we walked off of the first green and when we finished 9 and were headed to 10 I could see their first group over on 4 - WHEW that would have been a hostage situation!)

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Oh man.

The moment I see one or two guys in the group ahead of me bend at the knees to tee up their ball, or put the tee into the ground and THEN place the ball on top -- I know i'm in for a long long day.

Not only are they going to be hacking it around the course and penciling in "just give me an 8"s all day...but they don't know enough about golf etiquette to let you through.

When the guys ahead of you are drinking at 8am, playing the tips and collectively have a bag worth less than a dozen Pro V1s.

I still have yet to understand why people feel the need to play the tips when they barely have enough game to play the local Par 3 course.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Not so much anymore, but about ten years ago: ...when one of the guys in the group in front of you is dressed like he's Tiger Woods in the final round of a tournament. Red shirt, black pants, Nike everything.

Maybe there's some golfers who play well while trying to look like Tiger, but after the half a dozen I've played behind locally, I certainly haven't met them.

When the person you're paired up with tees it up IN A DIVOT because "if it's already in the divot, I can't hit it fat"

...he hit it obese

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

There are a few Korean families that frequent my home course, and they are notoriously slow players and refuse to let anyone play through.

They've been spoken to several times about it by course management, but nothing changes. We don't usually have marshals out because most people who play there are courteous enough to let quicker groups through.

Anyway, I went out after work last Friday, and the usual aforementioned group (that I often have the misfortune of getting stuck behind) was putting on #9.

I'm just teeing off on #1 so am thankful that I won't get stuck behind them.

Get through the first 9 holes in just over an hour (just me, walking) and tee off on 10. I notice a group ahead of me. It's another Korean family out with their daughter who I'd guess is 10 or 11 years old.

Hole 10 is a par 5 that I can't usually reach in two. I'll usually have 50-100 in for my 3rd. They're about 100 yards out from the green so I wait. And wait. And wait. After around 10 mins waiting to hit my second they finally get to the green.

Hit a good shot and have 50 left. Wait another 5 mins or so for them to get done putting, hit the green and 2 putt for a par.

Head off to 11. They haven't teed off yet. Expecting them to tell me to go ahead I head up to the tee marker, but they jump up there ahead of me and proceed to tee off. The guys hit it maybe 100 yards, the wife 50 yards and the daughter 20 yards. I look at them waiting for the invitation to tee off and play ahead, but they ignore me and move up to play their second shots. After about 15 minutes waiting on the tee box they're maybe 150 yards out.

Decided "hell with that" and just walked up the other side of the fairway from them to get to the next hole. I think they gave me some dirty looks, but I was ignoring them. Got to 12 (short par 3), didn't even take a yardage just guessed and hit. Hit a beauty to about 3 feet so made the putt and headed to 13. They were still on the green on 11 when I left. I bet it took them a good 25 mins to play that one hole.

I'm all for getting your kids out and playing, but if you're holding people up then let them play through!

Next few holes went pretty quick, and I was playing really well, hitting pars, bogeys and the odd birdie. Got up to hole #16 and guess who I catch up to...

That first group of Koreans who were putting on #9 when I was teeing off on 1. They'd played 6 holes in the time I'd done 15 (15 which included that wait on 10 & 11)

Again, they don't let me play through. Last 3 holes took 50 minutes, and I was so frustrated that my game went to crap. Had been on pace to shoot my best score ever too.

When the twosome you have been paired with has a little girl set (like pink beginner set of what look like actual golf clubs) of clubs in the basket on the back of their cart and when you pull up even closer you realize there is a little girl sitting between them. They then go on to explain that she is not going to be playing but that she will be hitting some shots on some holes.

For what it's worth it did not turn out to bad although my uncle, who made up the other half of my twosome, nearly got his lights knocked out by a bladed line drive the little girl hit from off the green while we were putting.

There are a few Korean families that frequent my home course, and they are notoriously slow players and refuse to let anyone play through.

They've been spoken to several times about it by course management, but nothing changes. We don't usually have marshals out because most people who play there are courteous enough to let quicker groups through.

Anyway, I went out after work last Friday, and the usual aforementioned group (that I often have the misfortune of getting stuck behind) was putting on #9.

Get through the first 9 holes in just over an hour (just me, walking) and tee off on 10. I notice a group ahead of me. It's another Korean family out with their daughter who I'd guess is 10 or 11 years old.

Hole 10 is a par 5 that I can't usually reach in two. I'll usually have 50-100 in for my 3rd. They're about 100 yards out from the green so I wait. And wait. And wait. After around 10 mins waiting to hit my second they finally get to the green.

Hit a good shot and have 50 left. Wait another 5 mins or so for them to get done putting, hit the green and 2 putt for a par.

Head off to 11. They haven't teed off yet. Expecting them to tell me to go ahead I head up to the tee marker, but they jump up there ahead of me and proceed to tee off. The guys hit it maybe 100 yards, the wife 50 yards and the daughter 20 yards. I look at them waiting for the invitation to tee off and play ahead, but they ignore me and move up to play their second shots. After about 15 minutes waiting on the tee box they're maybe 150 yards out.

Decided "hell with that" and just walked up the other side of the fairway from them to get to the next hole. I think they gave me some dirty looks, but I was ignoring them. Got to 12 (short par 3), didn't even take a yardage just guessed and hit. Hit a beauty to about 3 feet so made the putt and headed to 13. They were still on the green on 11 when I left. I bet it took them a good 25 mins to play that one hole.

I'm all for getting your kids out and playing, but if you're holding people up then let them play through!

Next few holes went pretty quick, and I was playing really well, hitting pars, bogeys and the odd birdie. Got up to hole #16 and guess who I catch up to...

That first group of Koreans who were putting on #9 when I was teeing off on 1. They'd played 6 holes in the time I'd done 15 (15 which included that wait on 10 & 11)

Again, they don't let me play through. Last 3 holes took 50 minutes, and I was so frustrated that my game went to crap. Had been on pace to shoot my best score ever too.

Proper marshal reaction, when they are there, would be give a warning and then, if slow pace continues refund money and tell them to hit the bricks. If a private CC surely the membership could force other members to abide by common rules of etiquette?

A lack of accountability leads to this stuff. Boot groups one time and they get the message that their behavior must change or they will be held accountable.

Here in Florida it isn't any specific group/subgroup who ends up causing issues; many times it is tourist who honestly have not a care in the world and, since on "holiday" as they call it they tend to take their time beyond what would be considered a normal pace of play. A 6 hour round on some courses here in Central Florida is quite common. All you can do is grin and bear it. If the course overbooks and then doesn't marshal then what can faster groups do but, well.....wait.

Kudos to you for not blowing your stack especially in front of those kids. Many people don't have that virtue - the one about being patient.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

It's a cultural thing, and their culture sucks. They need help with assimilation.

It's a cultural thing, and their culture sucks. They need help with assimilation.

I don't know if this one particular quirk is a cultural thing or not, but it's a big factor in their slow play:

The guy will usually always be further up than his wife, but no matter what, she always waits for him to play his ball first.

On the rare occasion he does hit one well that could mean she's 250 out but he's only 150 out, so he waits for the green to clear before playing his ball.

She waits for him to play his shot, then they drive back 100 yards to her ball, where she plays it (and is still 100 yards out afterwards)

I nearly hit them the one time as I hit as saw them start driving off after he'd hit his shot, just for them to do a 180 and head back right towards me back to her ball.

I don't know if this one particular quirk is a cultural thing or not, but it's a big factor in their slow play:

The guy will usually always be further up than his wife, but no matter what, she always waits for him to play his ball first.

On the rare occasion he does hit one well that could mean she's 250 out but he's only 150 out, so he waits for the green to clear before playing his ball.

She waits for him to play his shot, then they drive back 100 yards to her ball, where she plays it (and is still 100 yards out afterwards)

I nearly hit them the one time as I hit as saw them start driving off after he'd hit his shot, just for them to do a 180 and head back right towards me back to her ball.

It's absolutely cultural. For some reason they seem to be more resistant to assimilation than others. If you or I went to Korea and tried to do things the way we're used to, I'm sure we'd not ingratiate ourselves very well.

I'm not going to get into the cultural aspect of it, but when I lived in Queens, NY and played at Douglaston, the rounds were 5-6 hours because everyone was gambling and treating every putt like it's the 72nd hole of the US Open. Add to that the exchanging of money on every hole, because (according to the starter) no one trusts each other. In my 7 years playing there I witnessed a few fights in the parking lot over cheating/stiffing on bets; including screaming and hair-pulling by the ladies. Needless to say, I am happy to live/play in Connecticut now.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]