2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Phil and Bones parting ways after 25 years! (MERGED)

tanksd13

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bones' farewell note was dry and not filled with any emotion. It was almost like he and phil were not really that close

Jim was an employee. Nothing more.

Re: THE BROTHER

Tim, the brother, shirtless and drunk - no surprise. Looks like Tim needs the money for legal fees.

The adventure continues.

http://golfweek.com/2017/03/09/caddie-files-lawsuit-in-golf-cart-crash-involving-tim-mickelson/

how about bones in the booth, he knows every course like the back of his hand

That is an excellent and novel idea. Well-spoken, intelligent, experienced caddy

would add a lot to the content.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

Time out. Time out. The split is mutual? Oh my goodness no. This is 100% about money. Look at the disparity below - peanuts! Clearly, Jen has had enough of Phil, Amy and the gang. She is doing the right thing by advising Bones to move on - let's call it, "creating distance" from the Mickelson element and her family. She is doing this to prevent problems in her family.

Jim's net worth is 2M.

Phil's net worth 375M

Bones will be on the bag for someone - it's in his blood, and I assure you he will be making more money.

Your schtick is really lame. You need a hobby.

Maybe pick up golf.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

Bones must know who he is looping for going forward. Jon Rahm ?

Would be good for Rahm but I have a hard time picturing Bones putting up with the temper tantrums and bag slamming.

Very valid point Robin. Phil is a lot of things, but ill-tempered is hardly one of them. One of the greatest things about watching Phil, outside of watching his imagination come to fruition on the course, is that he's respectful and respectable to fans, and the game of golf. But, it could be good for Rahm to have an "older" caddie who could help him keep the mental side of his game in check. Whether he was crazy or on point, Phil's mental game was always strong with Bones there.

The behind the scenes conversations will be an interesting change:

Bones - Phil : "Idk why you thought skipping a 3i over the pond was going to work better. You had 150 yards in and no wind. It's a 9i Phil. Come on."

Bones - Rahm: "If I have to bend over to pick up another club you throw, I'm gonna smack you on the head with it. I don't care if you're ball is stuck in a cactus. Phil would climb on up and hole that next shot! I've seen him do it, now pony up you little brat!"

Bones' farewell note was dry and not filled with any emotion. It was almost like he and phil were not really that close

Jim was an employee. Nothing more.

Re: THE BROTHER

Tim, the brother, shirtless and drunk - no surprise. Looks like Tim needs the money for legal fees.

The adventure continues.

http://golfweek.com/...-tim-mickelson/

Tim wasn't driving the cart.. And being drunk on a golf cart isn't a new endevour.. lol

That being said, with those sorts of headlines, it does seem odd that Phil would choose to bring that with him on the tour.

Bones must know who he is looping for going forward. Jon Rahm ?

Would be good for Rahm but I have a hard time picturing Bones putting up with the temper tantrums and bag slamming.

Very valid point Robin. Phil is a lot of things, but ill-tempered is hardly one of them. One of the greatest things about watching Phil, outside of watching his imagination come to fruition on the course, is that he's respectful and respectable to fans, and the game of golf. But, it could be good for Rahm to have an "older" caddie who could help him keep the mental side of his game in check. Whether he was crazy or on point, Phil's mental game was always strong with Bones there.

The behind the scenes conversations will be an interesting change:

Bones - Phil : "Idk why you thought skipping a 3i over the pond was going to work better. You had 150 yards in and no wind. It's a 9i Phil. Come on."

Bones - Rahm: "If I have to bend over to pick up another club you throw, I'm gonna smack you on the head with it. I don't care if you're ball is stuck in a cactus. Phil would climb on up and hole that next shot! I've seen him do it, now pony up you little brat!"

Rahm posted on social media yesterday that he has no intention of replacing his caddy with Bones. I don't get Mickelson's brother on the bag, he has a management company to run and shouldn't Phil be auditioning new caddies???? I hear Kip Henley is available.

Shallowface -

lol -

It's So easy to say " play better". Sure. But it's about the vehicle or mindset that allows for the better play. The dictatorship of Watson didn't allow that. Obviously according to the results. Watson being the supreme leader , didn't put the ingredients together for better play. You can't say " my way or the highway " and the after he fact blame the players and say " play better " ( which he did ). If you want to be the end all be all be ready for the heat when it fails.

Nothing Watson did or didn't do caused errant shots or missed putts.

If someone is standing over a shot and thinking about who he didn't get to eat with or play ping pong with, that's a problem.

But, in the age of touchy feely in which we live, failure has to blame something other than itself.

Regardless, it's all good.

When it comes to this sort of topic, and nearly everyone disagrees with me, I take it as validation.

LOL

Good grief man. Your Watson love blinds you !

As I said before I like Tom. I just don't think he's a good leader. Much like I doubt jack was in a team setting and Arnold probably was great. You have to have some personality that allows for outside input. Outside meaning someone other than your own. Team doesn't include I as they say. You choose to see phil as the "I" person in that situation. But in fact he was just pointing out on behalf of the team that Watson was being the "I" guy. Someone had to say it. All were thinking it. Notice how nobody came out and backed up Watson and rebuked Phil ? There's a reason for that.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Shallowface -

lol -

It's So easy to say " play better". Sure. But it's about the vehicle or mindset that allows for the better play. The dictatorship of Watson didn't allow that. Obviously according to the results. Watson being the supreme leader , didn't put the ingredients together for better play. You can't say " my way or the highway " and the after he fact blame the players and say " play better " ( which he did ). If you want to be the end all be all be ready for the heat when it fails.

If someone is standing over a shot and thinking about who he didn't get to eat with or play ping pong with, that's a problem.

But, in the age of touchy feely in which we live, failure has to blame something other than itself.

When it comes to this sort of topic, and nearly everyone disagrees with me, I take it as validation.

LOL

As I said before I like Tom. I just don't think he's a good leader. Much like I doubt jack was in a team setting and Arnold probably was great. You have to have some personality that allows for outside input. Outside meaning someone other than your own. Team doesn't include I as they say. You choose to see phil as the "I" person in that situation. But in fact he was just pointing out on behalf of the team that Watson was being the "I" guy. Someone had to say it. All were thinking it. Notice how nobody came out and backed up Watson and rebuked Phil ? There's a reason for that.

The PGA named Tom Watson as the Ryder Cup Captain. When you play for a coach or a captain you play the game the way the Captain decides. You don't throw hissy fits and undermine the team because it doesn't stroke your massive ego. And when it's over you don't try to throw the Captain under the bus because you didn't play well enough to hold a lead. I never was a big Mickelson fan before that, but he is dead to me now. I hope he never wins another tournament.

OH no ... No more thrilling Bones and Phil 10 minute

conversations

' 227 '

' 7 iron '

'Ya'

' u like 7'

'Ya'

Repeat 3 more times ... Not sure 1st two were on camera

7 iron misses short and right .;. Pressed afterwards, Phil explains why 7 iron was wrong club

Good riddance ... Now if Spieth would get rid of his attention loving caddie boy

Shallowface -

lol -

LOL

It has nothing to do with my admiration for Watson.

Just as whatever fat iron shots, flubbed flop shots and yipped putts Phil and his teammates hit had nothing to do with Watson.

If Phil and the others gave less than their best effort because of their dislike of Watson, that's on them. They were supposed to be playing for their country, or at the very least for themselves. If they were that unprofessional, they deserved to lose.

BTW, and I know I am in the vast minority on this one, but the Ryder Cup is irrelevant to me. It has all the relevance of an interclub match between two clubs in Orlando, which is essentially what it is. It has become the most overanalyzed event in all of sports. The fact is the reason the European players win most of the time is simply because they are better players.

Golf is not a team sport, and that may be the single best thing about it.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Everyone, get ahold of something. This is only the tip of the iceberg. Missing the OPEN, the timing of the graduation, the lawsuits, potential money problems, 47 years old, etc.

I sensed something was wrong during the "Phil is not playing the US OPEN thread." A player like Phil doesn't just miss a US OPEN. When I brought up "personal" problems in that thread, I was called crazy and other names. But, I remained steadfast that something was rotten. Now a 25-year relationship between caddie/player just ends?

Shallowface -

lol -

LOL

The PGA named Tom Watson as the Ryder Cup Captain. When you play for a coach or a captain you play the game the way the Captain decides. You don't throw hissy fits and undermine the team because it doesn't stroke your massive ego. And when it's over you don't try to throw the Captain under the bus because you didn't play well enough to hold a lead. I never was a big Mickelson fan before that, but he is dead to me now. I hope he never wins another tournament.

i could follow your logic on playing for a coach and playing hardline his way IF you and the coach would shoulder the responsibility for the loss after the fact... you really cant call the shots and then lay blame on the sheep when you lose... and thats what watson did...

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Shallowface -

lol -

LOL

Just as whatever fat iron shots, flubbed flop shots and yipped putts Phil and his teammates hit had nothing to do with Watson.

If Phil and the others gave less than their best effort because of their dislike of Watson, that's on them. They were supposed to be playing for their country, or at the very least for themselves. If they were that unprofessional, they deserved to lose.

BTW, and I know I am in the vast minority on this one, but the Ryder Cup is irrelevant to me. It has all the relevance of an interclub match between two clubs in Orlando, which is essentially what it is. It has become the most overanalyzed event in all of sports. The fact is the reason the European players win most of the time is simply because they are better players.

im not at all suggesting they threw the matches.. Im suggesting that the captain made very poor pairings and chose to sit players ( not just phil) who may have been better suited for spots.. Thats what Phil griped about.in private directly to watson.... nothing more... he griped about other pairings and made suggestions .. and watson took exception to having his judgement questioned and then sat Phil as payback.... killing any good vibe the team could possibly have had and im sure contributing to the poor play.... people will follow some leaders off a cliff, and other leaders they wouldnt follow into a buffet line.... now which does it seem Watson was?

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Phil, Gambling and Bones:

Why would a person such as Phil, “with all of the money in the world” want to play it loose? It may be nothing more than the thrill of it all. Gambling is a powerful addiction and whether it is illegally gambled on stocks or the ponies, there is truly little difference in how dirty it may be.

Bones saw it firsthand. $3 million must be the price of a reputation?

You can lose your money, but a loss of reputation is another matter. It is a lesson that Phil Mickelson had better learn fast, or he's going to lose more than a caddie.

Shallowface -

lol -

LOL

im not at all suggesting they threw the matches.. Im suggesting that the captain made very poor pairings and chose to sit players ( not just phil) who may have been better suited for spots.. Thats what Phil griped about.in private directly to watson.... nothing more... he griped about other pairings and made suggestions .. and watson took exception to having his judgement questioned and then sat Phil as payback.... killing any good vibe the team could possibly have had and im sure contributing to the poor play.... people will follow some leaders off a cliff, and other leaders they wouldnt follow into a buffet line.... now which does it seem Watson was?

I thought the US PGA Tour pros were supposed to be the best players in the world.

Do you mean to tell me that just because I'd rather be playing with that guy instead of this guy, it's going to affect how I hit "this shot?"

I know I know I know. This player might better complement that player. Blah Blah Blah.

Just hit the shot you have in front of you at that moment. Just as you would every other day of your life.

If the team vibe affects the ability for an individual to produce a square clubface at impact, that suggests issues that run far deeper than anything any captain could fix.

Golf is an individual sport. You are your own leader all of the time except for these team events. If you don't like the captain, do what you do every other day and lead yourself.

Everything else is just excuses. They won the last one, so I expect they will do the same coddling next time. They will probably lose.

Where will the blame fall for that?

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Everyone, get ahold of something. This is only the tip of the iceberg. Missing the OPEN, the timing of the graduation, the lawsuits, potential money problems, 47 years old, etc.

I sensed something was wrong during the "Phil is not playing the US OPEN thread." A player like Phil doesn't just miss a US OPEN. When I brought up "personal" problems in that thread, I was called crazy and other names. But, I remained steadfast that something was rotten. Now a 25-year relationship between caddie/player just ends?

You are like a Jedi knight....and he was there for his daughter....nothing more