Phil and Bones parting ways after 25 years! (MERGED)

tanksd13

‘I don’t think it was a firing,’ Phil Mickelson says of his breakup with long-time caddie, Jim ‘Bones’ Mackay.

https://www.sbnation...plit-with-bones

wtf?

He doesn't think it was a firing?

Why does he answer the question like that?

Read the entire article, not just the headline, which is designed as click bait to get your attention.

Mickelson, of course, ended up missing the national championship to attend the high school graduation of his daughter Amanda, though he had Mackay scout the course for his then-boss on the off chance the five-time major winner would be able to make his opening-round tee time.

“We were hoping that the U.S. Open would be our last tournament together because we started at the U.S. Open in 1992, 25 years ago,” he said. “We’ve had 25 incredible years where we’ve shared highs and lows on and off the golf course.”

Unlike the less-than-amicable Tiger Woods-Steve Williams divorce, Mickelson insisted his separation from Mackay was a mutual decision.

“I don’t think it was a firing,” said Lefty, who should know better than anyone whether or not he canned Bones. “There wasn’t an incident.”

Mickelson, who said both men “needed a change and … were looking for something different,” praised his ex-bagman’s skills and noted he would likely end up looping for any number of “great, great players.”

“I think a lot of top players are going to want him on the bag because of his experience, his knowledge, his ability to think clearly under the gun, his Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup experiences … and having such a high golf IQ,” Mickelson stated.

Mickelson, who has not won a PGA Tour event since 2013, said he was looking forward to having his younger brother, Tim, handling his luggage for the rest of the season.

“I think he’s [bones] going to be able to bring a lot to the table for a number of players, and I think that’s going to be exciting and give him a new energy to have an opportunity like that,” Mickelson added. “And for me ... to have time with my brother is going to be exciting for me as well.”

So we are on the same page: Phil put the graduation of one family member in front of the 25 year anniversary with another family member, correct? And, as a heartfelt gift for that incredible 25 years, he sent that so-called other family member to scout a course instead of inviting him to the graduation.

Let’s cut to the chase, please. Bones is like the family in Family Restaurant.

In name only.

As far as Bones working for another player: Phil is dumping a “tagged” great caddie for his brother who has never been “tagged” anything in terms of a caddie.

The question remains - why this decision now?

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy was a friggin' caddie. If he was anything more, we would not be having this conversation.

I read these "tags" you guys assign to Bones, such as Business Associate, Family Member, Partner or Friend but the only thing I see from this announcement is a regular old GD employee that was moved aside for a REAL family member.

What does 25 years get you when you're dealing with the likes of Phil?

- a phony benign statement to the press and stiff arm.

"if he was more than a caddie, we would not be having this conversation"...it's a 12 page thread...clearly he's more than a caddie? most of us don't remember a time when Phil DIDN'T have Bones on the bag. thus the discussion.

those aren't tags sir, those are words used by Phil, his agents or friends of the two of them at any given point in the last 25 years. we didn't assign anything.

Phil needed someone else on the bag -- it would make sense that he put his brother, who's a coach at a D1 school mind you that Phil graduated from -- who might have some knowledge of the game (just a smidge) to be there to help give Phil a different look.

i don't know if your q&a at the end of your post is even close to being correct, but i got one for you --

What does 2 years here, multiple troll posts regarding Phil over multiple threads get you on WRX?

- lack of credibility, lots of laughs at your ridiculousness, and usually scrolled over.

...carry on.

A brief word about “tags.”

Tags are impermanent labels usually assigned when trying to help explain a pattern of human behavior. This means a “tag” can last for as little as a few minutes in conversation, or for several years. The act of throwing out tags, as in the case of Bones, helps people to feel better about the split but, as we know, the simple act of assigning tags doesn’t explain the reason for the breakup.

Bottom line – be careful when using tags, sir.

The guy was a friggin' caddie. If he was anything more, we would not be having this conversation.

I read these "tags" you guys assign to Bones, such as Business Associate, Family Member, Partner or Friend but the only thing I see from this announcement is a regular old GD employee that was moved aside for a REAL family member.

"if he was more than a caddie, we would not be having this conversation"...it's a 12 page thread...clearly he's more than a caddie? most of us don't remember a time when Phil DIDN'T have Bones on the bag. thus the discussion.

those aren't tags sir, those are words used by Phil, his agents or friends of the two of them at any given point in the last 25 years. we didn't assign anything.

Phil needed someone else on the bag -- it would make sense that he put his brother, who's a coach at a D1 school mind you that Phil graduated from -- who might have some knowledge of the game (just a smidge) to be there to help give Phil a different look.

i don't know if your q&a at the end of your post is even close to being correct, but i got one for you --

What does 2 years here, multiple troll posts regarding Phil over multiple threads get you on WRX?

- lack of credibility, lots of laughs at your ridiculousness, and usually scrolled over.

...carry on.

Tags are impermanent labels usually assigned when trying to help explain a pattern of human behavior. This means a “tag” can last for as little as a few minutes in conversation, or for several years. The act of throwing out tags, as in the case of Bones, helps people to feel better about the split but, as we know, the simple act of assigning tags doesn’t explain the reason for the breakup.

clearly you cannot read nor comprehend what I said.

it does not 'help me feel better' about the split. I was explaining to you (this time like a child) that they aren't TAGS. they are adjectives used by media, phil, bones himself, friends on tour, etc for YEARS when describing the pair. therefore, regardless of whether you're calling them 'tags' or we're using those adjectives b/c history has used them before, is inconsequential.

I don't care about the split other than saying, oh well, wish them both the best. I don't know them personally, and only talked to them in person once during a practice round at the masters.

your arguments and discussion in this thread are almost as good as the thread on Billy Horschel and his wife. there were some really good cherries in there.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

...carry on.

clearly you cannot read nor comprehend what I said.

it does not 'help me feel better' about the split. I was explaining to you (this time like a child) that they aren't TAGS. they are adjectives used by media, phil, bones himself, friends on tour, etc for YEARS when describing the pair. therefore, regardless of whether you're calling them 'tags' or we're using those adjectives b/c history has used them before, is inconsequential.

I don't care about the split other than saying, oh well, wish them both the best. I don't know them personally, and only talked to them in person once during a practice round at the masters.

your arguments and discussion in this thread are almost as good as the thread on Billy Horschel and his wife. there were some really good cherries in there.

I read your comments and understood your post. My reply was not only pointed toward the "tags" given to Bones, but also the "tag" assigned to me as some kind of troll. My comments about Phil have been consistent from the start. They are based on years of observations of public opinion via TV interviews and press articles. I am not the only person on the face of this earth that questions Phil's motives and real personality. True, I am opinionated but who cares - this a message board. My posts are what I think and believe about the information I have.

Do you ACTUALLY think these "tags" assigned to Bones originated from Phil? You know as well as I do, they were conjured from an overdramatic press corps being fed by Phil's marketing machine.

In regard to Bill's wife. She had too much time on her hands and rather than using it wisely, she made some bad choices.

No one is going to tell me she made good choices.

Mark my words, a year from now when Bones gets hooked up with another player - the truth behind this "mutual" split will come out.

lol

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person"

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

I came to what I thought was tour talk and found myself on the philosophy forum.

Time for a lock I think.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Watch the Feherty interview from a few months ago and see how he referred to Bones. The relationship was certainly more than some 'disposable caddy'.

My son started to watch it and couldn't make it but 10 minutes. I asked him what he thought about it.

He said, "Dad, I can think of 100 ways to better spend my time."

Needless to say, I never watched it, and never will.

‘I don’t think it was a firing,’ Phil Mickelson says of his breakup with long-time caddie, Jim ‘Bones’ Mackay.

wtf?

Read the entire article, not just the headline, which is designed as click bait to get your attention.

Mickelson, of course, ended up missing the national championship to attend the high school graduation of his daughter Amanda, though he had Mackay scout the course for his then-boss on the off chance the five-time major winner would be able to make his opening-round tee time.

“We were hoping that the U.S. Open would be our last tournament together because we started at the U.S. Open in 1992, 25 years ago,” he said. “We’ve had 25 incredible years where we’ve shared highs and lows on and off the golf course.”

Unlike the less-than-amicable Tiger Woods-Steve Williams divorce, Mickelson insisted his separation from Mackay was a mutual decision.

“I don’t think it was a firing,” said Lefty, who should know better than anyone whether or not he canned Bones. “There wasn’t an incident.”

Mickelson, who said both men “needed a change and … were looking for something different,” praised his ex-bagman’s skills and noted he would likely end up looping for any number of “great, great players.”

“I think a lot of top players are going to want him on the bag because of his experience, his knowledge, his ability to think clearly under the gun, his Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup experiences … and having such a high golf IQ,” Mickelson stated.

Mickelson, who has not won a PGA Tour event since 2013, said he was looking forward to having his younger brother, Tim, handling his luggage for the rest of the season.

“I think he’s [bones] going to be able to bring a lot to the table for a number of players, and I think that’s going to be exciting and give him a new energy to have an opportunity like that,” Mickelson added. “And for me ... to have time with my brother is going to be exciting for me as well.”

So we are on the same page: Phil put the graduation of one family member in front of the 25 year anniversary with another family member, correct? And, as a heartfelt gift for that incredible 25 years, he sent that so-called other family member to scout a course instead of inviting him to the graduation.

In name only.

As far as Bones working for another player: Phil is dumping a “tagged” great caddie for his brother who has never been “tagged” anything in terms of a caddie.

Even if what you are insinuating is true, why does it seem to bother you? Lot's of friendships and work relationships have their up's and down's. Caddies for the pros are overrated anyway, any of these guys could play well with a deaf mute who could lug the bag around. it's not rocket science. Sure it's nice to have someone you get along with to chat with and to keep you focused but in the end they don't hit any shots.

1. Phil's daughter is obviously more important to him than a dude who is his caddie, even if they are best-ies. Why would that not make total sense?

2. They agreed before the tournament it would be their last, it's not like he fired him via text message with a picture of his middle finger.

3. Sometimes when an employee boss, or any work related relationship goes on for a long time or you get too close the work suffers, and then the personal relationship suffers.

4. Either you are Bones and this is your fake on-line profile and you have a big passive aggressive axe to grind or you are just a Phil Mickelson troll and just spend your time bashing him for what are basically made-up reasons.

5. You have a job for 25 years and sometimes it's just time to move on. Pretty sure the guy could retire today if he wanted to, unless he has squandered millions.

6. it's like you are trying to create a conspiracy that doesn't even exist.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Watch the Feherty interview from a few months ago and see how he referred to Bones. The relationship was certainly more than some 'disposable caddy'.

My son started to watch it and couldn't make it but 10 minutes. I asked him what he thought about it.

He said, "Dad, I can think of 100 ways to better spend my time."

Needless to say, I never watched it, and never will.

Needless to say, you don't want to hear the story from the horses mouth, you just want to believe the little voices in your head, that lead you to believe Phil is an awful human being.

Speaking of which....I got a 100 better ways to spend my time.

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

This is a screen shot of the statement from Bones.

• It mentions nothing about feeling like a family member.
  • It does not say that Phil was a great guy.
  • "When Phil hired me....."

From this we can then assume Phil fired him. I doubt Bones would voluntarily quit that 40M+ tour cash meal train.

wtf?

In name only.

Even if what you are insinuating is true, why does it seem to bother you? Lot's of friendships and work relationships have their up's and down's. Caddies for the pros are overrated anyway, any of these guys could play well with a deaf mute who could lug the bag around. it's not rocket science. Sure it's nice to have someone you get along with to chat with and to keep you focused but in the end they don't hit any shots.

1. Phil's daughter is obviously more important to him than a dude who is his caddie, even if they are best-ies. Why would that not make total sense?

2. They agreed before the tournament it would be their last, it's not like he fired him via text message with a picture of his middle finger.

3. Sometimes when an employee boss, or any work related relationship goes on for a long time or you get too close the work suffers, and then the personal relationship suffers.

4. Either you are Bones and this is your fake on-line profile and you have a big passive aggressive axe to grind or you are just a Phil Mickelson troll and just spend your time bashing him for what are basically made-up reasons.

5. You have a job for 25 years and sometimes it's just time to move on. Pretty sure the guy could retire today if he wanted to, unless he has squandered millions.

If Bones is a FAMILY MEMBER as “tagged” by Phil, why the different treatment?

You don’t know how it went down. But, you do agree HE WAS FIRED.

Long-term relationships are the fabric of good businesses.

I am not Bones. I have always had a problem with Phil Mickelson and way he addresses the golf masses with this message of pureness and integrity. Like many people on tour (well documented) I truly believe Phil is a phony.

The poor guy got fired. Let’s not make it worse making claims he squandered it.

I am simply speaking my mind. How weird is the timing the guy doesn’t go to the US OPEN then fires his caddie the following week?

This is a screen shot of the statement from Bones.

• It mentions nothing about feeling like a family member.
  • It does not say that Phil was a great guy.
  • "When Phil hired me....."

From this we can then assume Phil fired him. I doubt Bones would voluntarily quit that 40M+ tour cash meal train.

Okay....so IF Phil fired him. So what? So what if Bones wasn't doing his job as well as he used to? What if Phil and him weren't seeing eye to eye? It's not like Bones was his son and he kicked him out of his will and estate.

What's is the point you are driving at? Are you just trying to get everyone to agree Phil is a jerk, is that it? You obviously have an agenda.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Occam's razor. Bones recently has had a double knee replacement which would make it very tough to lug a heavy bag up and down hills for 5 hours 5 or 6 times a week. He has made a fortune and doesn't want to ruin his quality of life by not being able to walk in a few years. Phil hasn't won in a while and sees it as an opportunity to try something different to ignite a spark in his game....

Ferguson

Like many people on tour (well documented) I truly believe Phil is a phony.

Who are these well documented players that think Phil is phony ? Tom Watson? But I suppose you think the Phil and Amy foundation is all a ploy. Of course the Special Operations Warrior Foundation that Phil has been a big part of for 11 years has got to be a front. And of course the foundation that Phil started with his sponsor KMPG that's provided over 2 million books to needy kids is just for attention. At first, some of your posts were entertaining Fergie. Now they're just dumb.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another."

Hemingway

Hemingway blew his brains out in a drunken stupor.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Occam's razor. Bones recently has had a double knee replacement which would make it very tough to lug a heavy bag up and down hills for 5 hours 5 or 6 times a week. He has made a fortune and doesn't want to ruin his quality of life by not being able to walk in a few years. Phil hasn't won in a while and sees it as an opportunity to try something different to ignite a spark in his game....

Extremely plausible explanation. Pretty sure this is close to reality and then Phil and Bones will exchange Christmas cards. :).

Or Phil is kicking him to the curb like garbage, then he kicked a puppy and funded a Japanese whaling expedition. - Ferguson's razor.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

All good things must come to an end. In the Feherty interview Phil as much as said that Bones was MUCH more than just a caddie. He complimented his work ethic, his professionalism, and their relationship.

I would like to think that this was a mutually agreed upon parting of the ways that was completely amicable.

So what would be awesome to see, in my humble?

Bones takes on the bag of one of the young guns and is on the bag when he wins his first major.

And Phil also finds whatever/whoever he is looking for and that caddie helps him close out his regular tour career on a high note.

Do I think this will happen?

Honestly no.

I think Bones is going to retire. And Phil is going to end up missing that veteran caddie.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

wtf?

In name only.

If Bones is a FAMILY MEMBER as “tagged” by Phil, why the different treatment? .

You don’t know how it went down. But, you do agree HE WAS FIRED.

Long-term relationships are the fabric of good businesses.

I am not Bones. I have always had a problem with Phil Mickelson and way he addresses the golf masses with this message of pureness and integrity. Like many people on tour (well documented) I truly believe Phil is a phony.

The poor guy got fired. Let’s not make it worse making claims he squandered it.

I am simply speaking my mind. How weird is the timing the guy doesn’t go to the US OPEN then fires his caddie the following week?

You are simply pathetic really. Not weird at all. People get fired and most of the time they deserve it.

My guess is Ferguson felt like he was mistreated by his big bad boss at some point in his life. Boooo hooo. Ferguson didn't like the person signing his pay check telling him what to do and didn't follow orders and got fired. Booo hooo. Now Fergy goes around bashing mean bosses because he's just looking out for the little guy. Poor Bones. I feel sooooo sorry for him. Phil is such a horrid person. He's such a phony for saying nice things about Bones and calling him a friend of the family. How dare he?

I got no place in my life for people like you. I wish you well but anyone as cynical and negative as you has no chance of happiness. Good luck.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Here is my take on Phil, in a nutshell. The same rings true for anyone with any level of celebrity. The public persona of people we see on TV is a makeshift veneer to attract advertising money. Phil's team does a great job of this. They are skilled - no denying that.

But let's get real. Everything we see and hear from Phil is a pageant.

The good (foundation, family, donations, image) does not outweigh the bad (interaction with criminals, high stakes illegal gambling and the way he dismissed Bones).

And my goodness, this article was written 10 years ago. People don't change.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2434804-bubba-watson-is-yet-another-example-of-why-public-personas-should-not-be-trusted

From the article:

Last August at the PGA Championship at Baltusrol, in New Jersey, a reporter turned to a golfer on the tour and said of Phil Mickelson, “Man, the fans here love Phil.” The golfer replied, “They don’t know him the way we do.” It blew our minds a little when we heard this, since Mickelson ranks among the most admired golfers in America. But today the same reporter makes his case bluntly: “Phil Mickelson literally has no friends out there. He annoys everybody.

Fergy, whether real or just putting everyone on, I see more comebacks with even more speculation and unususual conclusions than CNN and NPR on election night (okay, you don't seem visually and severely depressed like the NPR people were when they called Florida). Entertaining even if I'm not sure you really believe it.