2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale

i*windows

Off the top of my head I can only think of one course I play were the range is OB but could potentially be hit by a ball. The others are able to be played from and part of the course.

You can add Forest Oaks Country Club (Home of the Greensboro Tour stop for 30 years) to your list. The 16th hole runs parallel to the range and if you manage to block your tee shot and make it past the trees, you can easily end up on the range, which is OB.

Ask me how I know. :angry22:

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head I can only think of one course I play were the range is OB but could potentially be hit by a ball. The others are able to be played from and part of the course.

To be fair to the r&a, they didn't think a professional could actually hit it that far off line....I mean it was miles off the fairway ha ha. If that wad me and you, that ball would never be seen again. Pros are just lucky so and sos

If not designating the practice ground OoB, at least make it a compulsory drop in some knee-high rough.

So on top of one shot penalty, add another?

The members don't play that range as OB, the course is playing as it would typically for the members. There is not a distinct advantage to playing over to that range, so it's ok. They designated the fairway on 10 as OB since even though the members don't play it as OB, the long hitters on tour can take a shortcut through there which is not something the R&A thought was in the spirit of the competition or safety of players and fans.

So this is what it's come to? arguing about where the OB should be on a certain hole at a major venue? Why does this even matter and why does anyone even care? For eff's sake.

They have to have a reason that Jordan should have lost. Like denying all of the laws of physics and invoking some mystical, magical force called "luck".

I would venture to bet that the vast majority of those posters would deny the existence of a god, yet feel the need for some higher power that controls events and gives some good breaks and some bad. They are weak-minded people who tend to refuse responsibility and make excuses when they fail.

They're acting like the guy hit it in the parking lot. And far from being assessed penalty, the car owners rushed back to move the cars for him. So he could have the perfect lie, and clear view to the green. Which he then proceeded to hit a 9 iron to make birdie and win the championship. And to add insult to injury the next time he played there (and won again) they hadn't changed the rule!

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

If not designating the practice ground OoB, at least make it a compulsory drop in some knee-high rough.

So this is what it's come to? arguing about where the OB should be on a certain hole at a major venue? Why does this even matter and why does anyone even care? For eff's sake.

They have to have a reason that Jordan should have lost. Like denying all of the laws of physics and invoking some mystical, magical force called "luck".

I would venture to bet that the vast majority of those posters would deny the existence of a god, yet feel the need for some higher power that controls events and gives some good breaks and some bad. They are weak-minded people who tend to refuse responsibility and make excuses when they fail.

They're acting like the guy hit it in the parking lot. And car owners rushed back to move the cars for him. So he could have the perfect lie, and clear view to the green. Which he then proceeded to hit a 9 iron to make birdie and win the championship. And to add insult to injury the next time he played there (and won again) they hadn't changed the rule!

True! The only thing that would have made it better was if the fans moved a boulder for him.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback

The practice ground is very different when the Open isn't there though. No tour vans, no grandstands etc. I think the R&A will act as a result. Unintentionally, Spieth found a ligitimate way to play the 13th and avoid the major trouble off the tee - Ironically, if his drive had been even wider his second shot would have been where he played his third from and he would have made par.

Lol still on this "R&A better do something about this non-controversy"?

Players take an alternative route to make it play shorter not longer; prime example being the internal OB on #10. On #13 kuchar who's one of the shorter hitters hit 6 iron from the fairway. spieth (who's longer) was in between 3 wood and hybrid from the range! Besides that it was an awful angle bringing the green side bunkers much more in play. Seriously give it a rest

Have you ever watched an Open at St Andrew's where players often go left off the tee to avoid trouble, but in doing so make the hole longer and second shot more difficult?

My beef is not with Spieth or any other player who uses the rules to their advantage. My problem is we so 62 and 63's on a golf course which was considered as being the hardest on the rota. The set-up needed to be tighter, and that includes making the practice ground OoB.

Was Spieth the only player to hit it there all week? If so, why do you want to change course markings for a statistically insignificant occurrence?.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

The practice ground is very different when the Open isn't there though. No tour vans, no grandstands etc. I think the R&A will act as a result. Unintentionally, Spieth found a ligitimate way to play the 13th and avoid the major trouble off the tee - Ironically, if his drive had been even wider his second shot would have been where he played his third from and he would have made par.

Players take an alternative route to make it play shorter not longer; prime example being the internal OB on #10. On #13 kuchar who's one of the shorter hitters hit 6 iron from the fairway. spieth (who's longer) was in between 3 wood and hybrid from the range! Besides that it was an awful angle bringing the green side bunkers much more in play. Seriously give it a rest

Have you ever watched an Open at St Andrew's where players often go left off the tee to avoid trouble, but in doing so make the hole longer and second shot more difficult?

My beef is not with Spieth or any other player who uses the rules to their advantage. My problem is we so 62 and 63's on a golf course which was considered as being the hardest on the rota. The set-up needed to be tighter, and that includes making the practice ground OoB.

Uh.... OK.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback

Uh.... OK.

Just give up.

It's like trying to teach a pig to sing. Pointless, a complete waste of time and it just annoys the pig

Kept myself off of here over the last couple of rounds, I wanted to watch it and take it in as much as I could.

Still can't get over the display of grit that we saw from Spieth yesterday. When he was looking for a place to take that drop on 13 my head was spinning. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and I cannot comprehend what must have been going through his thoughts. The crazy thing is that you just knew he was going to hole that bogey putt. No one has been as money with a putter in there hand since Tiger in his prime.

The energy that that gave him was unreal and to then play the next four holes in -5 is just insane. It was Man United vs Bayern Munich in 1999 on a golf course.

Greatest night of my life! Still get goosebumps about that night in Barcelona... Oh teddy and ole!

Shame on you! You old ba$tard!

Yours truly

A disgruntled Bayern fan

Just curious. Do you really think that other posters on here are that stupid?

And agsin, no. You can phrase it however you like but you are simply lookjng for a reason to b****.

Kuchar is such a nice guy I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster he was on thru the back 9.

To go from 3 down, to 2 up and then in a matter of two holes be back down by 1 it's got to mess with his head. I am sure the 30 minute delay didn't help him but who would have thought Jordan could come back from that mess with a birdie and eagle.

Kuchar was like a field goal kicker who gets the "freeze" treatment by the opposing team's time out.

Except in this case, it worked.

Ya but somehow kuch went into 14 up played it Par-Birdie-Par-Birdie and came out two down, not exactly a choke

I didn't say it was a choke, I doubt anyone else (except Spieth) could have played better given the circumstances that's why I felt it has to be tough for Kuchar. They guy did everything he needed to in order to win and Spieth just had an extra gear.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

No a free drop. just a DZ like for a grandstand. I'm not that much of a sadist.

I disagree. You seem like a glutton for punishment with these ill-advised musings.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

BRITISH OPEN VICTORIES - LAST 25 YEARS

Americans 14

Europeans 6

Not that it means anything. :)

I don't mean to be a salty Euro, but realistically speaking, your record doesn't compliment the peformance of USA in Ryder Cup over the last 20 years against Europe. I understand the rivalry, but in all fairness, you ignored some things, when you complimented your own.

MY PERSONAL REQUEST.

Golf tournaments last four rounds. Anything can happen on the last nine holes. Anything. We could all have Sunday off and give it to the Saturday leader. Spend Sunday evening watching Friends re runs or the like. I prefer watching live golf. Please support my campaign to keep Majors to 72 holes!

Thank you

Lancj1

anyone else ever see a player tell a caddie to "Go get that" after a putt?

No but it was kind of a bad a** move that seemed a little funny coming from Speith.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

You mean the 3Rd Round... Course was set up shorter for better scoring. The other 3 days were very tough especially the back 9. Birkdale is tough, very tough but fair....only Carnoustie is tougher and that's next year. In the end you want the open to have 4 different days and that's what Birkdale got, so why on earth after s great championship are so many friggin moaning.

By the way, the practice ground will he still in the same place in 9-10 years time and the rules will be the same as 99% don't care and appreciate a truly great champion

You mean the 3Rd Round... Course was set up shorter for better scoring. The other 3 days were very tough especially the back 9. Birkdale is tough, very tough but fair....only Carnoustie is tougher and that's next year. In the end you want the open to have 4 different days and that's what Birkdale got, so why on earth after s great championship are so many friggin moaning.

By the way, the practice ground will he still in the same place in 9-10 years time and the rules will be the same as 99% don't care and appreciate a truly great champion

Rough was non existent

I remember when I started watching golf in the 80s and there were a lot of irons off the tee, because you couldn't afford to hit it in the rough

Winner of the open hit 42% of fairways and shoots 268

Bring back the rough

Agree about Carnoustie but I'd definitely argue St. George's is harder than RB and lytham, muirfield + turnberry too(new layout is amazing )

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Rough was non existent

I remember when I started watching golf in the 80s and there were a lot of irons off the tee, because you couldn't afford to hit it in the rough

Winner of the open hit 42% of fairways and shoots 268

Bring back the rough

Agree about Carnoustie but I'd definitely argue St. George's is harder than RB and lytham, muirfield + turnberry too(new layout is amazing )

Rough was thin due to a dry summer. Can't control the weather.

No but it was kind of a bad a** move that seemed a little funny coming from Speith.

He did give a HUGE amount of credit to his caddie after the round. I think they had a lot of back and forth going all day, would love to know what Greller said to him prior to the putt.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

BRITISH OPEN VICTORIES - LAST 25 YEARS

Americans 14

Europeans 6

Not that it means anything. :)

I don't mean to be a salty Euro, but realistically speaking, your record doesn't compliment the peformance of USA in Ryder Cup over the last 20 years against Europe. I understand the rivalry, but in all fairness, you ignored some things, when you complimented your own.

The Ryder cup pales in the overall importance of professional golf.....MAJORS are the standard.....not team exhibitions..... exhilarating it is but just doesn't compare,sorry

He did give a HUGE amount of credit to his caddie after the round. I think they had a lot of back and forth going all day, would love to know what Greller said to him prior to the putt.

good article in washington post about their discussions throughout the day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/jordan-spieth-listened-to-his-caddie-and-that-made-all-the-difference-at-british-open/2017/07/23/2b184408-6ff9-11e7-8f39-eeb7d3a2d304_story.html?utm_term=.91c74c4d3795

spieth said after the round that it was an old-timey move or something to that effect, where caddies would pick the ball out of the cup after a hole out. i'd never seen or heard of that before, wondered if anyone else had heard that or seen it.

no judgement on him doing it. it doesn't "sound" great - but i'm not gonna kill him for it. i recently made a long birdie putt and proceeded to go miguel herrera super saiyan all the way to the cup. not exactly wonderful behavior.

giphy.gif

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

https://www.washingt...m=.91c74c4d3795

spieth said after the round that it was an old-timey move or something to that effect, where caddies would pick the ball out of the cup after a hole out. i'd never seen or heard of that before, wondered if anyone else had heard that or seen it.

no judgement on him doing it. it doesn't "sound" great - but i'm not gonna kill him for it. i recently made a long birdie putt and proceeded to go miguel herrera super saiyan all the way to the cup. not exactly wonderful behavior.

giphy.gif

Watched shows about the Open with Trevino and Player recently and in them you will see caddies retrieving the ball from the hole.

[Watched shows about the Open with Trevino and Player recently and in them you will see caddies retrieving the ball from the hole.

great info! in other words, pretty much exactly what spieth said.

here's a link to the video. found it on the official open website.

https://www.theopen.com/Chronicles/Trevino

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

During the #13 debacle with Spieth I had to shut off the NBC commentators. And even turn off CC.

They kept on droning on and on "just go back to the tee-box and rehit your drive..." etc etc

If Jordan took their advice he makes no lower than a 6.

Jordan proceeds to make one of the most interesting bogey 5s (and important ones) I've ever seen.

...didn't catch them correct themselves after the hole!

Agree, Johnny Miller made a fool of himself.

Sometimes a bogie is a "great" score!

Jack Nicklaus once had a great bogey. It was the 1984 Memorial and he hit it so far right on #17 that it went OB. He made a "birdie" with his second ball and then beat Andy Bean in the playoff.

It was his next to last PGA Tour win.

It wasn't a bogey, but Sergio Garcia also had an adventuresome 5 at #13 in the final round to win his major.

https://www.washingt...m=.91c74c4d3795

giphy.gif

Watched shows about the Open with Trevino and Player recently and in them you will see caddies retrieving the ball from the hole.

The mentioned during broadcast it was something Player and Watson had done under similar circumstances. Maybe it's a superstition.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX