Project X Handcrafted EvenFlow reviews ***WRX TEST GROUP REVIEWS***

For a UDI, would the blue or black be a better fit? I know of course the answer is always "go get fit" but my local club champ doesn't really have much in the way of lefty UDI's, if any (probably not a commonly fit item).

Haven't hit either Evenflow, but I traditionally like more of a mid launch profile... but the new Evo shaft I play doesn't "Feel" like a traditional mid/mid profile like say Blueboard or Tensei blue. Much more tighter and stable feeling with a quick effortless snap through impact. I want that same feel in the UDI. The s+ blueboard feels sloppy compared to that profile. Fitter there told me I'd probably like the EF black better because the blue felt extremely easy to load, probably a bit closer to Evo iii, which I think would be solid in a 3w or 5w for a bit higher flight and spin. I'm looking for a lower launching fairway finder that spins a little less.

If you find S+ Blueboard "sloppy" then you wouldn't like EF Blue either. Feel wise they are very similar, EF is almost even smoother, which at time could contribute to a sloppy feel. Agree with your fitter that it'll be EF Black for you, and if that still feels sloppy, you might want to try HZRDUS Black, which Rory has in his 790 UDI.

i can attest to the 'sloppy'-ness of the blue. i got it in the Rogue SZ driver and it was all over the place. even in 75x.

the HZRDUS black, as you mention, is very good in hybrids - but keep in mind my experience has only been with the 105x.

Have hit the hzrdus black in a driver, was very low launch and felt "one piece" thru impact which to me is a very traditional low launching profile feel. Similar to Whiteboard, but whiteboard a little more smooth. Not a massive fan of that one-piece-barely-kicks kind of feel. I think that's why I love the evo ii... it launches like low/mid, but still snaps while maintaining a very stable tip. Blueboard felt fairly whippy in the tip which was okay-ish in a 3w when I want some hang time, but not in the case of a fairway finding UDI on links.

Any feedback on the EF Black 85 hybrid shaft? If so, compared to like a Tensei Pro White 90?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have hit the hzrdus black in a driver, was very low launch and felt "one piece" thru impact which to me is a very traditional low launching profile feel. Similar to Whiteboard, but whiteboard a little more smooth. Not a massive fan of that one-piece-barely-kicks kind of feel. I think that's why I love the evo ii... it launches like low/mid, but still snaps while maintaining a very stable tip. Blueboard felt fairly whippy in the tip which was okay-ish in a 3w when I want some hang time, but not in the case of a fairway finding UDI on links.

Any feedback on the EF Black 85 hybrid shaft? If so, compared to like a Tensei Pro White 90?

if talking to me -- i haven't hit the EF black hybrid shafts (or the blue for that matter) so i can't compare them to the Pro White. all i know is, i've hit the HZRDUS hybrid, motore 8.2 hybo TS-X, Rome 888 and D+ 90TX and the Pro White has surpassed them all.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

if talking to me -- i haven't hit the EF black hybrid shafts (or the blue for that matter) so i can't compare them to the Pro White. all i know is, i've hit the HZRDUS hybrid, motore 8.2 hybo TS-X, Rome 888 and D+ 90TX and the Pro White has surpassed them all.

You or anybody reading who's willing to respond.

Makes sense...Tensei are great shafts. Knowing me... I'll try the EF black and Tensei PW and keep the better of the two. AD-DI seems like an obvious, but both the Tensei and EF seem to be going for less $$ on eBay.

For a UDI, would the blue or black be a better fit? I know of course the answer is always "go get fit" but my local club champ doesn't really have much in the way of lefty UDI's, if any (probably not a commonly fit item).

Haven't hit either Evenflow, but I traditionally like more of a mid launch profile... but the new Evo shaft I play doesn't "Feel" like a traditional mid/mid profile like say Blueboard or Tensei blue. Much more tighter and stable feeling with a quick effortless snap through impact. I want that same feel in the UDI. The s+ blueboard feels sloppy compared to that profile. Fitter there told me I'd probably like the EF black better because the blue felt extremely easy to load, probably a bit closer to Evo iii, which I think would be solid in a 3w or 5w for a bit higher flight and spin. I'm looking for a lower launching fairway finder that spins a little less.

If you find S+ Blueboard "sloppy" then you wouldn't like EF Blue either. Feel wise they are very similar, EF is almost even smoother, which at time could contribute to a sloppy feel. Agree with your fitter that it'll be EF Black for you, and if that still feels sloppy, you might want to try HZRDUS Black, which Rory has in his 790 UDI.

i can attest to the 'sloppy'-ness of the blue. i got it in the Rogue SZ driver and it was all over the place. even in 75x.

the HZRDUS black, as you mention, is very good in hybrids - but keep in mind my experience has only been with the 105x.

I fitted into EF Black 6.0 on driver(65), 3w(75) and hybrid(85H). I was hitting an 816H1 21deg Dia D+ White 90g stiff and not getting great performance. We fitted into a 818H1 19 deg EFB 85H 6.0. I liked the black shaft in the hybrid and felt consistent with the other shafts. It filled the gap between my 3w and 4i better than my old hybrid.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my Rogue Sub Zero delivered last Friday, saving it for when my course is in a bit better condition, but plugged the Even Flow Blue into the Epic for a test run. 6.0 67g Stiff.

I didn’t think anything would touch the Tour AD DI-6 for the next few years, but the Even Flow comes close. It is such a smooth shaft, just feels unbelievable to hit, so pure. I’ve hit some absolute bombs with it, bearing in mind there is little to no run on my course at the moment and hasn’t been above 10 degrees for 6 weeks. Just keeps going through the air. One thing I will say compared to the AD, into the wind (15-25mph most days) I can tee the ball really low and just gun a low fade with the AD, like a 5 yard burner, for some reason the Even Flow pops up in the air a little too much and has 10-12 yards of movement, even though it is heavier by 2 grams and is mid launch.

More testing ahead, but easily the best stock shaft I have ever hit, bearing in mind it is going against a £275 shaft.

I need you guys help. I haven't read the whole thread and hope this isn't a common theme but I need tipping advice. I have a Handcrafted Black 6.0 65 with TM tip. It is untipped. Purchased aftermarket and added the tip. I want to love this shaft. It is smooth and feels great. My issues is I am seeing a higher launch and more spin than my Tensei Pro White in the same head. The Pro has not been tipped either. The Evenflow feels a bit looser as well. Is tipping a half or a full inch going to firm it up enough and get the spin down? I hate to experiment here and ruin this shaft for a fellow WRXer if I figure out its just not for me and have to sell it.

I need you guys help. I haven't read the whole thread and hope this isn't a common theme but I need tipping advice. I have a Handcrafted Black 6.0 65 with TM tip. It is untipped. Purchased aftermarket and added the tip. I want to love this shaft. It is smooth and feels great. My issues is I am seeing a higher launch and more spin than my Tensei Pro White in the same head. The Pro has not been tipped either. The Evenflow feels a bit looser as well. Is tipping a half or a full inch going to firm it up enough and get the spin down? I hate to experiment here and ruin this shaft for a fellow WRXer if I figure out its just not for me and have to sell it.

I am also interested in this info. Just been down the range and downwind the thing is a cannon, can hit it either way and it goes forever. Into the wind however it just spins a little too much. At the moment it is going to be a ‘four ball better ball off the yellow tees with your mates’ shaft, whilst the Tour AD is going to be a ‘medal off the white tees / slates’ shaft. It reminds me of the Tour Stiff shaft I had in a Ping G30 last summer, unbelievable off the front tees and downwind but when you need to bust one into the wind off the back tees it just spun too much.

Well here goes. I have only had 1 range session and 1 round in. After my range session yesterday I knew it was a little spinny and loose. Of course I was using range balls and they tend to balloon. I have followed the Taylormade tipping saga with interest. Alot of people complain about their tipping practices. I have found that it is very shaft dependant. I got my Tensei Pro White from them untipped and its perfect. I think I could actually use 1/2" as it can get loose and left sometimes. Well, I knew that the Evenflow was going to need some help. I pulled the tip and cut it down 1/2". I played today and it was just about perfect for me. Using real balls, the spin was low and the trajectory was also lower. I won't say it is loose because the shaft is just so smooth it is going to feel different and a bit loose compared. I think I could have gone a full inch with no issues but at that point I am going to have to add a plug. Right now it plays 45" on the nose and I am in heaven.

Well here goes. I have only had 1 range session and 1 round in. After my range session yesterday I knew it was a little spinny and loose. Of course I was using range balls and they tend to balloon. I have followed the Taylormade tipping saga with interest. Alot of people complain about their tipping practices. I have found that it is very shaft dependant. I got my Tensei Pro White from them untipped and its perfect. I think I could actually use 1/2" as it can get loose and left sometimes. Well, I knew that the Evenflow was going to need some help. I pulled the tip and cut it down 1/2". I played today and it was just about perfect for me. Using real balls, the spin was low and the trajectory was also lower. I won't say it is loose because the shaft is just so smooth it is going to feel different and a bit loose compared. I think I could have gone a full inch with no issues but at that point I am going to have to add a plug. Right now it plays 45" on the nose and I am in heaven.

Good to hear that it's working out for you! Yes EF shaft has a pretty unique smooth feel that makes it feel softer\looser than it really is.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

Just curious, will a Evenflow Blue 65 6.5 play the similar to a Black 65 6.0 since the Blue is a little bit more smooth in the tip? The specs look similar and I found a great deal on the blue 6.5 but I know my swing would fit a 6.0 more. Any advice about flex and characteristics would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

4 hdcp

105-107 mph ss

M1 10.5 head

I got out on the course today for the first time with my EvenFlow Blue 65 6.0 in my Epic head. Really enjoyed hitting this shaft. It was a fairway finder all day with some excellent distance overall for me. Last two swings of the day were not great 220 yard smother hooks, but every other drive was in the 260-270 range which wasn't bad for my 100ish clubhead speed and mid 40 degree temperatures. In fact, I'd say this shaft was ~5-10 yards longer than the Rogue Max 65 I had in the head prior. Would attribute the yardage gain to reduced spin. The ball flight was really high and flat which is significantly different from what I saw with the Rogue. Now that my course is open again, will continue the testing with this shaft. I have a HZRDUS Red 65 to fool around with as well, but based on how well the EvenFlow performed for me today, the HZRDUS may not get the chance.

Callaway Epic Flash Sub-Zero Triple Diamond - Aldila DVS 70S
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Project X Evenflow Blue 75
Callaway Steelhead XR 7 Wood Tensei Blue 65
Nike Covert Forged 4-PW Irons
Nike Engage 50, 56, & 60 Wedges
Nike Origin B2-05 Putter

• 1 month later...

Finally the weather was nice enough for primary bag to head out to see action!! Only the 2nd time this year! LOL I was absolutely destroying things with my 3W. Even with a horrific swing and hit a super stinger (aka stinker) that was literally 6 inches off the ground and still ended up 250 yd in the middle of fairway. On 15th 425 uphill dogleft par 4 playing down wind, I blasted one with the perfect draw, went around the dog leg and ended dead center of fairway with 120 left to go. A normally very challenging par 4 was reduced to a 3W and a lob wedge.

Now I just need to get on terms with the driver a little more consistently again.

PXG SD 58*

Finally the weather was nice enough for primary bag to head out to see action!! Only the 2nd time this year! LOL I was absolutely destroying things with my 3W. Even with a horrific swing and hit a super stinger (aka stinker) that was literally 6 inches off the ground and still ended up 250 yd in the middle of fairway. On 15th 425 uphill dogleft par 4 playing down wind, I blasted one with the perfect draw, went around the dog leg and ended dead center of fairway with 120 left to go. A normally very challenging par 4 was reduced to a 3W and a lob wedge.

Now I just need to get on terms with the driver a little more consistently again.

where'd you play?? solid results broski!

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

120yrd Lob wedge??! :blink: Sir you are mashing the ball.

i didn't read that -- lol either the shot was down wind or my boy been liftin like a mad man - M2C -- which is it???

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

i didn't read that -- lol either the shot was down wind or my boy been liftin like a mad man - M2C -- which is it???

Even with a 20mph wind at his back... 425 uphill being 3w, lw is DJ style golf.

nah lol typical lob wedge is what, 105-110 right?

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

For DJ? Idk, probably around 110ish. He's similar in length to Tiger who hits a PW 150 all day, so back 3 clubs off that... figure 110 is doable. Depending on the wind and the uphill... the two could cancel. Either way a 120yard LW is tour style!! I only hit mine maaaaybe 80-85 if I strike it well, which as you know, isn't super often. lol

LOL.. it was Royce Brook West. Yes it was straight down wind after the dog leg, by about a good 2 clubs. They were quite evil to put the pin 3 paces on front center on a hole straight down wind like that. Had to keep it short so it wasn't even a full 58* LW. Ended up about 10 feet away on the front fringe. Didn't make the putt though. In fact, missed 3 other birdie putts from inside 10 feet. Oh well.. April golf...

But the past 2 rounds were, without any doubt, the best I have hit my 3W in many many years. Even better than that time when I played the entire practice round without a driver. LOL I really think I can "drop the mic" on fairway wood shaft.

PXG SD 58*

I put an EFB in my 3w and it was a beast for sure, but I just couldn't quite get my timing right with it. I wouldn't say it felt loose or anything, but I think the way I particularly load it, it wasn't a clean and crisp feel, which is what I'm used to. To me, the bend point felt extremely close to the grip which gave me the sensation that loading and unloading took a longer period of time. When I timed things right it was looooong, but overall wasn't predictable for me.

I'm same with hockey sticks, I prefer loading to be quick and crisp, closer to the middle or blade end of stick.

And btw... a 120yrd 58* down wind, even 3 yards short is beast mode lol.

• 2 months later...

Just got a EF Black for one of my two Rogue SZ heads. After 18 holes and a couple hours at the range, I liked bot combos, but didn't love either of them. On a whim, I put the EF Black in my Epic gamer and the fireworks went off. Not only is this combo dead nuts straight, but I also gained a modest 10 yards, as well. Needless to say, I am blown away.....and this is coming from a 6.5 HZRDS T800 stock shaft, which I was fit into, that gave me near max numbers for my 108mph swing. I like it so much, I'm picking up another. In addition, I just got my hands on a new EF RED 6.5 75g Handcrafted for my FW and it's money too.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Just ordered a 3-wood with a 75g 6.0 Blue shaft. Was really wanting the Black, but it wasn't an option. I'm a little worried that it will be a little too high launching and spinning, even though it's just considered "mid" in each category.

Coming from using a Tour AD GP-7s shaft in my 3-wood, that I absolutely loved.

Just ordered a 3-wood with a 75g 6.0 Blue shaft. Was really wanting the Black, but it wasn't an option. I'm a little worried that it will be a little too high launching and spinning, even though it's just considered "mid" in each category.

Coming from using a Tour AD GP-7s shaft in my 3-wood, that I absolutely loved.

I have that exact shaft in my 3W and it is not high launch at all. I don't have black in 3W so I can't compare them directly. Most of the time, when I tee off with 3W, the flight isn't even higher than if I hit with driver. To, it really just spin the ball a little more so I can ride a downwind a little better.

PXG SD 58*

I tried the handcrafted black in my driver for a while and it just didn't work for me. I've been a whiteboard player for years and I just couldn't get it under control. Ended up putting a Tensei White in and the whiteboard profile just works for me.

That's quite unfortunate. I played WB for a long time as well and I felt like the EF Black was very much like the WB but a little more consistent.

PXG SD 58*

I just picked up the Even Flow Black 65 6.0 for my M3 440 10* (I have the Tensei Blue stock shaft in it) Looking to lower launch a little and something more consistant.

I know that Taylormade tips there driver shafts 1" standard, however I'm in the 98-103 speed range should I play the EFB 6.0 straight in or tip this shaft before installing TM adaptor? I play the stock DG AMT S300 shafts in my irons and they feel perfect to me, my swing can get a little aggressive at times

Little more info, - I'm 55, I start off my round swinging slowly then build speed up during round, hence the ss range(98-103 at dicks driver demo, hit about a dozen balls). I typically carry my stock 7 iron 167,( have irons bent 2 degrees weak 36* 7 iron) Planning on keeping my TM at standard 45.5" length

Mister2cool - Did you tip your driver shaft any on your Taylormade? seen we have similar drivers models.