2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MP-18 vs P730 vs 718 MB

Homerun2Birdie

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mizuno for me, mainly because I will order a Combo Set, and the MP 18 have been designed with this in mind. If I wanted to buy a full set of blades I would have serious difficulties to chose....

Can't really say that this year. Seems they've all taken combo sets into account and blend well. 718 CB, tomb Ap2, Ap3 will all blend well with the mb. Also TM has 750,770, and now 790. Myself I'm looking at a mp 18 set with Fli hi 3 and 4 iron. Or a set of 730's with 790 3 and 4. Also I'm not opposed to blending brands either. Possibly AP3 long irons.

Mizuno for me, mainly because I will order a Combo Set, and the MP 18 have been designed with this in mind. If I wanted to buy a full set of blades I would have serious difficulties to chose....

Can't really say that this year. Seems they've all taken combo sets into account and blend well. 718 CB, tomb Ap2, Ap3 will all blend well with the mb. Also TM has 750,770, and now 790. Myself I'm looking at a mp 18 set with Fli hi 3 and 4 iron. Or a set of 730's with 790 3 and 4. Also I'm not opposed to blending brands either. Possibly AP3 long irons.

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

If I'm going to play a club above my ability level, I want want it to be as sexy as can be. MP-18 baby!!!

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Visually I would have difficulties to play let's say 4-6 irons in the P750 and from 7-PW the P730, they are just too different for me. In the Titleist range I could make a combo MB / CB, I agree. However with Mizuno I could play the MMC 4-iron, the SC 5-6 irons and the MB 7-PW, and they would still look like a set. On top, one can ask to bend the MMC by 2 degrees to match the SC and MB gaps, by doing this also the offset would be the same. And even the D.I. looks the same.

However, as I said, all 3 irons are gorgeous, that's just my reasoning (I am also a huge Mizuno fan!!).

Visually I would have difficulties to play let's say 4-6 irons in the P750 and from 7-PW the P730, they are just too different for me. In the Titleist range I could make a combo MB / CB, I agree. However with Mizuno I could play the MMC 4-iron, the SC 5-6 irons and the MB 7-PW, and they would still look like a set. On top, one can ask to bend the MMC by 2 degrees to match the SC and MB gaps, by doing this also the offset would be the same. And even the D.I. looks the same.

However, as I said, all 3 irons are gorgeous, that's just my reasoning (I am also a huge Mizuno fan!!).

I can't really argue as I haven't seen the 730's from address yet. I agree that the Miz sets look great and will blend well. Coming from MP4 and mp flihi in my current set up I am leaning towards the 18's. They are going to have to beat out my current set up though.

• 2 weeks later...

I hit the mizunos and titleist. the mizuno were much nicer to look at and hit. performance was the same but I liked the look and feel better for the mizunos.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I've hit the 18's and seen the 718. Still waiting on the 730's, but based on the 750's the 730's have a chance. How they feel and look at address will decide. I love the mp 18's. They look great and feel great. Pretty much everything you look for in a blade. The 718's are pretty, but I don't anticipate much difference from the 716 and 714 before them. Slightly more offset than I like and I expect them to feel the same. A bit harsher than Mizuno.

Oh wow, the 718s have more offset than the MP-18s? I know the Titleist MBs of old had a decent amount, but for some reason this years looked drastically reduced. Please report back once you get your hands on the 718s and P730s.

I don't know the exact specs, but I'm almost positive. I didn't hold the side by side, but I noticed the reduced offset on the mizuno immediately. Noticeably less than my mom 4's. As someone who craves a modern 681 with constant offset at .081 or similar, it's one of the first things I notice. Titleist may have tried to make it look like less offset, but the 18's are lower offset for sure. I'm hoping the 730's are the same or even less.

Now there's something I day dream about. Going to the store and ordering a new set of 681s. My specs. Would be nice to do. But alas it's impossible. And don't anyone say " what's the difference. An mb is an mb. ". bullxxxx. That's like saying a " sports car is a sports car ". Not true.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I've hit the 18's and seen the 718. Still waiting on the 730's, but based on the 750's the 730's have a chance. How they feel and look at address will decide. I love the mp 18's. They look great and feel great. Pretty much everything you look for in a blade. The 718's are pretty, but I don't anticipate much difference from the 716 and 714 before them. Slightly more offset than I like and I expect them to feel the same. A bit harsher than Mizuno.

Oh wow, the 718s have more offset than the MP-18s? I know the Titleist MBs of old had a decent amount, but for some reason this years looked drastically reduced. Please report back once you get your hands on the 718s and P730s.

I don't know the exact specs, but I'm almost positive. I didn't hold the side by side, but I noticed the reduced offset on the mizuno immediately. Noticeably less than my mom 4's. As someone who craves a modern 681 with constant offset at .081 or similar, it's one of the first things I notice. Titleist may have tried to make it look like less offset, but the 18's are lower offset for sure. I'm hoping the 730's are the same or even less.

Now there's something I day dream about. Going to the store and ordering a new set of 681s. My specs. Would be nice to do. But alas it's impossible. And don't anyone say " what's the difference. An mb is an mb. ". bullxxxx. That's like saying a " sports car is a sports car ". Not true.

Now I can agree with this. The differences in blades are subtle, but it's how each individual reacts to those subtleties that makes a difference. Some guys see a thicker top line or longer blade, and instantly it's in their brain that they can't get that club under the ball cleanly. The brain is powerful, and like Morpheus said in the matrix, "Your mind makes it real". So I just choose not to argue with my brain and look for less offset. ???

I had a set I played for years... just swapped them out for some mp5s. I have been checking the bay everyday looking for new set.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I can't find a fitter in area that has the 718mb head. They have all the other Titleist heads but not the blade. I like the look of it over the MP18 from pics but we all know how that is. Sure wish I could see and hit these. Wasn't blown away by MP18.

Ping G410+ 9° with tour shaft
Titleist TSR3 19 hybrid

Ping S55 3-pw x100
Vokey 52/56/60
Scotty Newport 2

Anyone have any on course experience with both the 718MB and the MP - 18mb? I am looking to upgrade my 690mb irons but i have only hit the demo heads at golf galaxy. Both felt great, but i have never played a mizuno iron off turf and was wondering if there would be much difference between turf interaction from my 690mb?

I don't know of anywhere that i can try the clubs outside. I wish there was a way to "rent" a set for a round of golf to really see how it performs on the course. When i buy a car i get to test drive it on real roads, wish i could do the same for golf clubs.

Have mp18 - great feel and mizzy quality

MB 718 ; smaller heads still than the MP18, blade height on the MP18 is higher. 718's are very good looking!! This years MP 18's scoring irons I do like compared to the MP4

Titliest does have a very thin top line, super sexy from address

no Demo on the 718 so I cannot comment, but the guys at the shop said the 718 are softer this year compared to years past ; **NOTE*** I still have a set of MB712s in the closet.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

• 3 weeks later...

Was able to see and hit the 730s today. Top line similar to 718 and smaller then MP18. Length looks a little longer than 718 and maybe a little taller toe but not by much. They look awesome in person. Was surprised to find the sole of club is pretty thick for a blade. Almost the same as AP2. Would assume lower cog and have a little higher launch. Only hit with very light shaft. Also hit the 718s with s300 and px 6. Look forward to hearing more about the 730 when they become available. Was very impressed and will come down to the 718 or 730s for me.

Titleist TSR3 19 hybrid

Ping S55 3-pw x100
Vokey 52/56/60
Scotty Newport 2

Was able to see and hit the 730s today. Top line similar to 718 and smaller then MP18. Length looks a little longer than 718 and maybe a little taller toe but not by much. They look awesome in person. Was surprised to find the sole of club is pretty thick for a blade. Almost the same as AP2. Would assume lower cog and have a little higher launch. Only hit with very light shaft. Also hit the 718s with s300 and px 6. Look forward to hearing more about the 730 when they become available. Was very impressed and will come down to the 718 or 730s for me.

Great info here - thanks. Can you comment on the length of the blade comparing the 730 to the MP18?

• 3 weeks later...

Went back for round 2 today. Snowed here so decided to check them out again. The p730 had limited shaft choices and none I liked. I still think the 718 and 730 look way better at address to my eye then the mp-18. Last time I walked away thinking I'd purchase the 730 and was surprised that this time the 718 won me over. Had the project x in the 718 and I play x100 in my irons. I think shaft made big difference and will gave to go back for round 3 and tie breaker. Hopefully I can hit the 730 in better fitting shaft. Both are beautiful clubs.

Titleist TSR3 19 hybrid

Ping S55 3-pw x100
Vokey 52/56/60
Scotty Newport 2

Titleist or Taylormade for me.

MP18 is a bit too chunky even though it feels great!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

Hit all of these today and i can't believe i am about to say this but i think TM is the clear winner - it ticks all the boxes. Looks great, feels the softest (which is almost sacrilege when comparing to a Mizzy), and has the least amount of off set. All of them looked amazing to be honest, especially the titleist. I just felt they didn't feel as nice as the TM and Mizuno but looks wise they were sharp. Generally not a fan of Callaway but i hit the Apex MB and that was sharp too. Would rank it TM, Mizzy, Titleist, Cally

TM Stealth 9 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degrees 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degrees

TM P7MC 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft

I had a chance to hit both the MP18 and the P730 yesterday. The picture below shows the size difference between the two from the address position, MP18 on the left and P730 on the right.

As far as performance, both seemed to perform similarly on similar strikes for me. The feel of both was very good to me. I was hoping there would be more of a noticeable difference to separate them, but after this I'm still torn. Probably leaning to the P730 just based on the shorter blade length and look at address.

Taylormade M2 9.5 - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
Taylormade M1 15 - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Taylormade M1 19 - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Taylormade P790 UDI 2i - PX 6.5
Taylormade P750 3-PW - DG X100
Titleist SM6 54.10S, 60.08M - DG S400
Byron Morgan DH89

The Grint Username: kreddell

Never thought I'd say it but the taylormade looks so much better at address

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any on course experience with both the 718MB and the MP - 18mb? I am looking to upgrade my 690mb irons but i have only hit the demo heads at golf galaxy. Both felt great, but i have never played a mizuno iron off turf and was wondering if there would be much difference between turf interaction from my 690mb?

I don't know of anywhere that i can try the clubs outside. I wish there was a way to "rent" a set for a round of golf to really see how it performs on the course. When i buy a car i get to test drive it on real roads, wish i could do the same for golf clubs.

Before I went to blades ; I bought a 4 and 7 iron to drop in the bag and Test on the course , single iron is always an option

Can always sell for a little bit of a loss, but gives a little piece of mind prior to a +1000 purchase

Additionally; wrx crazy I’ll keep and extra iron outside the gamer set to Test grips or shafts ;-)

I had 714s prior to this , roughly the same IMOP turf interaction , mp18 checks more boxes for me than the titleist except the mb 718 is a touch smaller ; mizunos a bit stronger loft , when bent weak the offset is less than the 730 and 718’s

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

• 5 weeks later...

I didn’t get a chance to look at the 730, but the 718 has a thinner top line, and the 18 has a taller toe in the 3i. I like the all chrome face of the 718 better than the satin center of the 18. 18 has a nicer hosel to face transition. I really wish I could play both before I commit.

For now i’ll put together some mp4s and go from there.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT