MD/DC/VA Golfers - This One Goes to Eleven

eagle1997

Oh... Hoop... Pq gave the 2 bucks back to me that we were chipping in on his beer. Did I give that to you at the table?

Got it. Thanks.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• eagle1997

• dcmidnight

Round recap:

Played UMD yesterday with mtn and guy with the same name as mtn but I don't actually know his internet name. I'll call him Notmtn for now. No offense.

Domes, Hoop, PQ, and City were in the group behind us.

First round since late October/early November, so I was trying to use it as a way to shake the cobwebs off before the Pinehurst trip. Success overall, though there were some serious rough patches (8 over after 3 holes, sigh).

1: Low cut drive down the center, followed by a fatted 8i from 150. Skulled chip over the green into the bunker, duffed bunker shot that barely made it out, followed by a 2 putt. Solid double to start.

2: Shanked drive to some distance that was pretty far. Layup hybrid, 60ish yard wedge to the center of the green, 3 putt for double. Nice.

3: This hole sucked. I shot an 8 but it was basically an X. OB drive, second shot into the lip of the bunker, almost plugged. Barely got it out. Probably 14 putt from there or something.

4: Toey struck 6i that managed to make it to the front of the green, long 2 putts for par.

5: Finally hit a well struck drive, but it went into the fairway bunker on the right side, maybe 140 out? 9i to 20 feet or something, 2 putt.

6: Solid drive up the left side, followed by a basically shanked 6i which left me with 70 or something yards in. Wedge just short of the green because I'm bad, another wedge almost in, tap in bogey.

7: Nice 3w to 125 or so, PW into the wind short of the green. Should have pulled 9. Decent chip, but missed the par putt.

8: Dinky little PW barely off the green, 2 putt par.

9: Bad drive off to the right, slightly fat 3w up to 130ish, pushed 9i just off the green. Almost chipped in, but it ran a little by the hole and I missed the putt coming back.

-Turn - The snack shack was closed, and they didn't have the restaurant open yet, so there were no snacks to be had. F'ing ridiculous.

10: Solid drive up the center right to 110 or so. Punchy 52* to 30 or so feet, 2 putt par.

11: Terribly struck hybrid short right of the green. Thinned a wedge onto the wrong part of the green, 2 putts from 25 feet or so.

12: Laid up off the tee to just in front of the red tees. City made fun of me when he was where I was from the 11th. Rude. Punched a 3w further into the trees on the right. Dinked an 8i just short of the green. Mtn thinned a chip from just behind me that stopped just short of the pin, so I told him I was gonna try and knock it in. Ended up blading my chip pretty horribly. Missed mtn's ball, but I did smack the flag stick dead on so the ball stopped inches from the cup. Tap in bogey.

13: Nice drive down the right side. Accidentally faded a 3w into the right rough, just short of pin high. Chip over some bunkers to 20 feet or so. 2 putt par.

14: I was particularly upset about this hole. Hit a nice high 3h that drew a bit into the left bunker, just past pin high. Sand was pretty packed from being so wet, and I accidentally caught it clean, or at least pretty close to clean, and it went flying over the green down the hill. Hit a wedge to the back of the green, and 3 putt from there for a 6. Honestly, it wasn't a terrible difficult bunker shot, so I feel robbed walking away with a triple from that.

15: 3w --> PW --> 2 putts.

16: Bangin drive that caught the hill but didn't go very far because swamp. 3w to the far right bunker, left myself with a 30ish yard bunker shot. Hit a beaut that bounced on the green, past the hole, and spun back a bit to pin high. 2 putt par.

17: Dinked 3h, fatted 52*, very nice chip from the swamp to a few feet, 1 putt par.

18: Dinked drive short and right, left with 220 in into the wind. 3w just short right of the green. Chipped on, but missed the putt. Bogey.

Solid round overall I thought, considering I hadn't played in forever. There were definitely some bad shots, but when I managed to shorten the backswing and keep everything tight, I was mashing it a pretty good way. If the fairways were dryer and actually rolling, I think I would have been getting some crazy distance. Short game was solid overall. Putting was ok. Really everything was pretty good with the exception of a few blowup holes.

Mtn had his long game in spades I thought, but his chipping let him down. He also got robbed on a few holes, like #13. Smashed drive down the center, smashed 3w right at the green, and...lost ball. It's a complete mystery where it went.

First time playing with Notmtn. Cool dude, very laid back. And very good golfer. Drives that go in the right direction, iron onto the green, 2 putts all day. In future tourneys I want him on my team. Though he'd be on team talls, so maybe not. Can't trust that type.

Post-round drinks were solid too.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

Who is playing tomorrow and where?

all that's been posted on the thread is ceejay at twin lakes tomorrow am.

Aaannnddd tee time set for Wednesday morning with some friends at Twin Lakes! My last round was 11/26, so at least all of my bad habits will be gone. AMIRITE?

Haven't decided between an impromptu sick day or if I should make up an excuse today for Wednesday.

if your boss is a golfer, go with the truth. after this winter, he will respect/understand that.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I read 100% of this.

UMD game went down today.

I read maybe 3 sentences of this.

Round recap:

I don't think Fabb is making fun of you Seigel (most people probably read about 2 sentences of me). I appreciate a good stroke by stroke, but you gotta put it in context. . .

Or just cut it down to :

The Good stuff, the Bad stuff, the Ugly stuff, the Funny stuff.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Unfortunately only one round of golf on a holiday weekend. What a B of a storm that rolled through on Saturday. Ruining everything. UMD should probably have been closed yesterday as well. It was a mess. We rolled it everywhere.

PQ quit golf again. And then they didn't bring out his burger until 5 minutes after the rest of us got our food. It was a tough day for PQ.

ahoop continued his solid play from last year. Almost lost his tee ball on #6 but turned it into a par. That's the kind of stuff that keeps a round going.

His putting was very good as well. Bomb on #11 was awesome.

City was hitting lots of greens. Lid was on the cup unfortunately. Said if he could have made one put he'd be 4-under. Fake news. The hybrid is working for him.

I hit the best punch 5i on #6 through a 80 yard chute of trees. Probably ended up going 130 yards total, but I couldn't have hit it any harder and kept it less than 10 feet off the ground. I loved that shot. Then followed it up with an old-timer yippy skulled chip. So, high five.

There's something up about the way I'm swinging my F7 hybrid. It's set at 19* and I'm not hitting it nearly far enough. I don't know if it's my swing, or the shaft (super light 65 gram) or a combo of the two. I'm going to have to get this figured out. I love the trajectory, but it's just not going far enough right now.

Siegel, good writeup, I read every word.

tldr version:

Round recap:

fatted, skulled, duffed, shanked bunker shot, shanked drive, 3 putt, OB, toey, shanked 6i, dinky, bad drive, fatted, pushed, terrible, thinned, terribly struck, thinned, dinked, bladed, missed, fatted, skulled, dinked, fatted, dinked

Solid round overall I thought

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

10 days of being out of the office really makes one appreciate...not being in the office.

Fl Keys were nice, first time we've been down there. Easy to get to, cost of everything is pretty reasonable and the beaches/fishing were great. Return trip already booked for Mem Day.

Started cranking through Chefs Table on Netflix, not sure if that was a thread rec or not. Director/creator is the guy who did Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Really great stuff if you're into that sort of thing. Not all fine dining / "nice" restaurant type stuff either - one ep is basically about some whacko chef who likes cooking with fire out in the middle of the nowhere Argentina. Good stuff if you like cooking docs.

Wolf is the one game I think you have to play with a good/ready group. I feel like I'm always playing with at least one person whos not ready to tee off when they are wolf and then you have to sit around and wait on the tee box while they're screwing around waiting to hit.

I haven't played much wolf (maybe some time ago), so I can only imagine if you're playing with a guy who doesn't know the order or who isn't ready, it's a pain. It's such a good game for ball bustin' and changing allegiances and a little bit of strategy. It helps to play well, but you need a little luck, too.

I've seen some Chef's Table. They wear on my after a few episodes, but I like the idea. The Argentinian you're probably talking about is Francis Mallman. I have two of his books. Just loves cooking everything over open fire, in coals, in embers, with smoke, on a griddle, etc. I make a salad of his with griddled carrots and griddle goat cheese on arugula with fresh thyme viniagrette. So good.

For my money, the best show on TV right now is American Crime Story : Gianni Versace. It's had some heavy episodes. Main guy is really good.

It's the "same" show that did the OJ trial with Cuba Gooding Jr and David Schwimmer and Travolta. It's "sort of" like fictionalized history, but treats the subject seriously, not just exploitative. It's created by Ryan Murphy who also made American Horror Story, Glee, Nip/Tuck and whom Netflix just "signed" away from FX for $300 Million.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Siegel how dare you post a recap in full length .. you would think this a golf blog..sheesh

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I haven't played much wolf (maybe some time ago), so I can only imagine if you're playing with a guy who doesn't know the order or who isn't ready, it's a pain. It's such a good game for ball bustin' and changing allegiances and a little bit of strategy. It helps to play well, but you need a little luck, too.

Its mostly this. If you play with three ready golfers and one guy whos screwing around and not paying attention - its annoying. Also helps if you have a couple guys who like to gamble and take the solo Wolf before they tee off for double points. But if no one does that and just plays it safe, its a little blah. Probably my least favorite game.

Agree on Chefs Table though, I cant watch more than one episode at a time. I guess in reality they put out seasons of documentaries so its not just a show you can crush 5 or 6 episodes of at a time. When Mallmann was cooking whole fish wrapped in paper and packed in mud over the open fire - that was pretty cool stuff. But some of those eps are so filled with filler type stuff they are tough to slog through. Thought the one before that though was really good w/ Dan Barber from Blue Hill. Lots of interesting stuff on sustainable farming.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Remember before Domes got married, when he and Hoop did ride together, and get groceries after the round? "Domes, you want meatloaf tonight?" "No Hoop, we just had meatloaf last week, and you said we should eat healthier any way." Don't worry Hoop, half of all marriages end in divorce.

Meatloaf isn't healthy?

New Handi's in 2020!

#Scotland2021 will be on a level playing field.

http://www.golf-mont...p-system-151341

Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out...

Daily handicap revisions, taking account of the course and weather conditions calculation

In handicap discussions in the Rules forum, I've talked about that idea with other people. They already do it in some other places. They call it the "Daily Scratch Rating" or something.

The basic idea is that if you have a whole bunch of golfers go out and play a course one day, you should expect to see a particular range of scores. If the weather and course conditions are really bad that day, maybe all the scores are bumped up by two strokes. So, that 72.1 rating really played like a 74.1 that day. Very easy to do. So, your 75 doesn't go into the books as a 2.5 but rather a .7.

I think that the second part of what 2More wrote means that if you were a 2 a year ago, but now you're a 5, there's more flexibility to adjust you.

That, combined with DSR, combined with 8/20 is going to drop everyone, probably.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I'm definitely making fun of Siegel a little bit. Unless we're talking about some kind of career round, a full blow-by-blow of every single shot somebody hit is a bit much.

A for effort, though. Any round recaps in February is better than no round recaps in February.

I haven't written a recap in months now. It was a warm up for Pinehurst.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

I'm definitely making fun of Siegel a little bit. Unless we're talking about some kind of career round, a full blow-by-blow of every single shot somebody hit is a bit much.

A for effort, though. Any round recaps in February is better than no round recaps in February.

Cant wait for Eagle's PH recap.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I haven't read about it enough yet but I'm intrigued at the idea of some sort of consideration being given to scores on bad weather days if all the posted scores for a particular course are over the average. Or something like that.

Disappointed that they are sticking to the "no solo rounds" rule though. I guess that overseas they've never really counted them though and/or only counted tournament rounds.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cant wait for Eagle's PH recap.

giphy.gif

totally disagree. i love round recaps. i read every word and live vicariously.

also not enough putt putt recaps from tex recently. does that place close down for winter???

New Handi's in 2020!

#Scotland2021 will be on a level playing field.

http://www.golf-mont...p-system-151341

Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out...

Daily handicap revisions, taking account of the course and weather conditions calculation

thanks for the link. will be very interesting. this^^ is what they do for congo, right? kinda like grading on a curve?

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

-Turn - The snack shack was closed, and they didn't have the restaurant open yet, so there were no snacks to be had. F'ing ridiculous.

MTN mentioned that.

You guys probably don't play enough winter golf, but I wouldn't have expected them to be open. There were essentially 7 golfers on the course yesterday.

Round like yesterday, big brekkie beforehand, or bring power bars.

I'm victim blaming.

Oh, the 8th golfer. . .we're playing hole 9 and a single in a cart comes down the other direction while we're walking to our tee shots. He drives to the tee and waits there for us to hit.

We hit up, he drives to his ball, waits for us to finish.

We walk over to the 10th tee and he finishes 9 and leaves.

That is a WTF if I've ever seen one.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

pinehurst 2018 recap (before it's actually happened):

- endless brought 5 pairs of shoes for 5 rounds. everyone made fun of him, but secretly man-crushed on his outfit game.

- when we sat down on friday, kent refused to buy dinner for everyone again, even though no one expected him to. that's getting out in front of it.

- DT almost killed someone with a golf ball. sadly, it wasn't on the pinehurst trip because he's not going. even more sad, it was himself that almost lost an eye.

- i made everyone wait on a every par 3.

- by day 3, no one could make a full turn. lots of crying.

- after pulling a shot long and right, pq tomahawked his wedge so hard it went grip deep.

- i forgot to bring tees and was scrounging for them all weekend. no one offered to give me any.

- dormie's staff was salty. very salty. and they didn't have our reservation. F that place to death.

- isringerhausen had the best poker face. he won all the monies.

- i brought a foam roller and never used it.

thanks to tex for organizing! you da best, bro!

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5