Golfing alone

stikillller

Just returned from a quick (I mean real quick 18 beating my screen name). Light drizzle for 9 and for the most part very solid swings and contact. A few extra shots and back in the car in 2 hours.

Now I have the day ahead to get things done.

Very nice. My course takes a while to walk. 7200+ yards with some spacing between holes and a few steep hills to walk up. It usually takes me 2 hours just to walk 9 holes. But recently, I've been able to do it in under 1.5 hours and still take the time to read my putts. I've been jogging a little lately too on the course. I've found myself getting a little tired near the end of my round causing me to get sloppy near the end. I need to be able to close out my rounds!

I prefer playing golf with my teenage Son.

He knows to not talk so much that you get distracted and forget about your golf game.

We walk 95% if the time. This allows us to witness each others shots and complement the good ones.

We also make reassuring comments like "That was still a good shot, if you consider where the ball was!"

It's similar to playing alone, but you can see someone else along the way.

I really don't like playing with someone that blabbers constantly.

Some type of salesman that is giving you figures and calculating interest and payments will distract me so bad, that I'll shoot a 120.

I like to stay focused.

It's not like playing darts in a loud crowded bar.

Yes, I prefer rounds on an empty course with just my Son.

If I played a solo round, it would feel like I was stealing from him.

Someday when he has moved out, I'll be forced to play along with another partner or alone.

He knows to not talk so much that you get distracted and forget about your golf game.

We walk 95% if the time. This allows us to witness each others shots and complement the good ones.

We also make reassuring comments like "That was still a good shot, if you consider where the ball was!"

Some type of salesman that is giving you figures and calculating interest and payments will distract me so bad, that I'll shoot a 120.

I like to stay focused.

Someday when he has moved out, I'll be forced to play along with another partner or alone.

How sad.... If playing with people I will talk. If I have to play an extra 2 hours (4 vs. 2 on my own) I better have decent company or I'll find an excuse and leave.

Is this how you've raised your son (knowing not to talk)? Yes I'm inquisitive.....

Fortunately only a few bad experiences (and some here on golfwrx seemed to blame me for having interest in conversing with playing partners).

As an introvert who spends most of my day working a job that requires me to be extroverted, golf has become my escape to have some solitude. Very few of my friends play, and I don't have much free time, so another benefit of playing alone is going at a time when it's convenient for me.

I definitely identify with this.

I like to stay focused.

How sad.... If playing with people I will talk. If I have to play an extra 2 hours (4 vs. 2 on my own) I better have decent company or I'll find an excuse and leave.

Is this how you've raised your son (knowing not to talk)? Yes I'm inquisitive.....

Fortunately only a few bad experiences (and some here on golfwrx seemed to blame me for having interest in conversing with playing partners).

No we talk all the time. But, when someone is getting ready to hit the ball, we focus on golf.

If you notice on the big tournaments on TV, they have small talk when they are playing in the final round.

But, you never see them in big outbursts of laughter.

I been paired with too many people that just some out to the golf course to get drunk, and smoke cigars.

I played in a scramble one time with a guy, and all he could talk about was his sister-in-law coming over to their house and farting.

Although I do enjoy playing 18 with a group of buddies, I typically find myself playing the majority of the time by myself due to my schedule. I rarely play on the weekends which means the largest majority of my golf is played in the afternoons during the week. I absolutely enjoy playing by myself as I never use a cart; so I throw on my headphones and just get after it. Ever since I have taken up golf I have always found it more enjoyable when it just me and the course, not to say I don't enjoy playing and meeting other people, I just never had an issue going out on my own.

Ping G410 Plus 9.0 Aldila Rogue Black 130MSI 70TX 44"
2017 Taylormade M2 Tour (16.5 degree) Aldila Tour Blue 80X
Mizuno Fli-Hi 3 iron Aldila Tour Blue 105TX
Taylormade RSI TP 4-PW PX 6.5 (+1/4”)
Maltby TSW 50, 54, and 60 wedges

"That right there was a sister-in-law shot... you're on top, it feels good, but you know you shouldn't be!"

- Random old guy in Texas

I love laughing and competing with buddies, but I also enjoy the zen of a solo round.

I played alone today, had a great time, until the 18th green when I sunk a perfectly planned and executed chip from about 20 yards, and no one was there to see it.

I even looked around to make sure no one was in the woods behind me or if any of the kids practicing in the youth league on the driving range a couple hundred yards away were glancing my way. Nope.

I still raised my hands in the air and gave a fist pump, though.

I love laughing and competing with buddies, but I also enjoy the zen of a solo round.

I played alone today, had a great time, until the 18th green when I sunk a perfectly planned and executed chip from about 20 yards, and no one was there to see it.

I even looked around to make sure no one was in the woods behind me or if any of the kids practicing in the youth league on the driving range a couple hundred yards away were glancing my way. Nope.

I still raised my hands in the air and gave a fist pump, though.

Saturday I ran on my own, first out and jumped to the second hole to jump the pair ahead of me. On 15 (par 3) the morning crew was there to see me stick it to 6' (and miss the putt) and on 18 sunk a 30+' and had one on the patio applaud. Don't sink long putts very often.

Yep playing alone and if i get that elusive HIO I will have to explain it, but playing at my pace, listening to podcasts and just enjoying the serenity just is so enjoyable.

But yes to me what it comes down to is I can be alone and play a much faster round, which then means I can play more often and spend less time golfing. Saturday I was off at 8:00, and back in my car 9:55 with he day ahead of me.

I enjoy playing alone for sure. I usually play 2 balls legit. 1. Smart conservative and 2. Risk reward. Always fun.

I don't mind playing with strangers at all,I enjoy meeting new people. but walking my local courses is difficult after knee surgery and I do not like be put in a golf cart with strangers

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

I enjoy playing alone for sure. I usually play 2 balls legit. 1. Smart conservative and 2. Risk reward. Always fun.

I don't mind playing with strangers at all,I enjoy meeting new people. but walking my local courses is difficult after knee surgery and I do not like be put in a golf cart with strangers

Interesting. When playing 2 balls like that, how does it usually work out? Neat idea.

Sure, 80% are solo, most before or after work when course is either empty or winding down.... otherwise I have two guys I play with weekly or more, a few other miscellaneous/family/yearly occasions that make up 5% or less. It is my time of peace and quiet, to have a clear head and think very little, often times forgetting scores, shots, and even a good portion of the round. Hard to explain, but feel at complete ease/relaxed.

In a philosophical sense, we never play alone

We post a score for comparison to others

We have a putt, tee ball , fairway lie that someone else has experienced before

Even when you are playing alone, you are not playing alone as you share the same frustrations, joy and aspirations of your fellow golfer at the game

I love being the first out in the morning. I can play fast, enjoy my coffee and the quiet, and finish in about 3 hours. Then have second breakfast, a nap, shower and head to work.

Since moving back to NYC, I've played 1 solo round.

Solo rounds in NY can be tough. I used to get one in every now and then at Van Cortlandt Park in the early midweek afternoon.

When I lived in CA I played 90+ rounds a year with my regular foursome plus many solo rounds. When I moved back to NYC (Queens native) I was lucky to get in 10 rounds per year total at Van Cortlandt, Bethpage and Dunwoodie.

I love being the first out in the morning. I can play fast, enjoy my coffee and the quiet, and finish in about 3 hours. Then have second breakfast, a nap, shower and head to work.

Since moving back to NYC, I've played 1 solo round.

Another cup of tea in a 200k Scandinavian town. I take the car and get to my home course in 15 minutos. If I'm there around 6:30 AM, I am first. I do most often play our 9-hole course (full-ish lenght, the par-5's are like 460 yards and the par fours are like 330 yards). Nine holes takes me 1 hour, then I go back home, take a shower and crawl back into bed for breakfast and reading the morning news or a good book. Not a bad start for a weekend morning (and some work days if i go to office late...)

That's the advantage of Scandinavia. A lot of land and not so many people

Downside is

Pitch black at 7AM now, Course closed for the winter, no morning golf until april/May. Half year solo golfer heaven half year hell...

Golfing alone works for me. I'm retired so I get up around 9:00, drink some coffee, goof off and get to the course about 11:00 for my 9 hole, 1 1/2 hour round. I don't have no problem playing with others and certainly do on the weekend when the course is busy. I like my routine not tied down to a tee time and play whenever, life is good in the golden years!

Handicap:  3

Interesting. When playing 2 balls like that, how does it usually work out? Neat idea.

ive done this at least 20 times, risky has only won 3 times

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

Anyone else have to or prefer to golf alone because friends can't play with you? I'm a bit older now, mid 30's, and a lot of my friends have kids and work and we aren't ever able to get together to play. Well a few months back I ran into an old friend from years ago and it turns out he plays a lot. I started playing with him and he is very good.....but he has no personality and drives the cart like a mad man and I just plain don't enjoy spending my day with the guy. I've been playing with him because I really have no one else to play with, but after today I'm done and I'm going to try playing alone....hopefully i get paired with randoms that are somewhat cool.

What's everyone's thoughts on playin alone and do some prefer it?

Im fortunate to have a really fun group of guys to play with. Rounds are a blast with non stop insults and laughter with one another. however, I like playing alone and dont mind it a bit. Sometimes its nice to be out on the course and have peace and quiet and just enjoy the day. Often I'll walk in this case and bring a bluetooth speaker and play music. If im pressed for time, then I use a cart and on a non busy day can get around the course in around 2:15.

I'm hoping to do this on Friday. I just started playing again in late August after about 14 years of not playing. I've spent a lot of time at the driving range. But, I've only gotten 6 rounds in for one reason or another. I'm finding that hitting good shots off of range mats is really not equating to good shots on the course. Since my friends can't play this Friday, I've decided that rather than hitting the range again, I'm going to head out to the course very early and play a solo practice round. It will let me work on hitting balls off the grass, rather than mats.

Yesterday I went at 4:10..... 2:20 to play 18 as sun setting 6:30. As I walk off the 7th, putter cover slipped off so walk back and search the 6th green and finally find it on 7th in the rough on second pass (nike, so won't find a replacement easily).

Get to 14th with no one in sight. Walked the first 13 in about 1:20...... Unfortunately some beginners ahead (4some) and joined up with another beginner. Still done in 2:20.....

Had my second best front nine ever..... So nice playing at your pace......

Just returned from a quick (I mean real quick 18 beating my screen name). Light drizzle for 9 and for the most part very solid swings and contact. A few extra shots and back in the car in 2 hours.

Reversing this scenario would be my ideal. I'd rather get all my stuff done early so I can play in our men's group at 1 p.m., cocktails and banter to follow with no need to rush out of there.

To each his own...

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Reversing this scenario would be my ideal. I'd rather get all my stuff done early so I can play in our men's group at 1 p.m., cocktails and banter to follow with no need to rush out of there.

To each his own...

Amen, get said 'stuff' done in a.m., body wakes and loosens up, afternoon golf and post round refreshments.

I used to play alone quite a lot. I had a couple of regular playing partners that either moved away, had kids, or we had a falling out and I was left with few golfing buddies. I've got a 36 hole course a half-mile from home that's usually easy to just show up and get on. I'd sneak away from work a bit early or I'd get bored on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon and go play 18. It was a double-edged sword...I'd spend a lot of time waiting for three/foursomes in front, but I'd also get to play 2 or 3 balls and get in some solid practice.

Last year I reconnected with a buddy that gets a corporate deal at a local course (5 of us split a foursome for $2,000 a season, play every Saturday and Sunday) and realized how much I missed the camaraderie.

To each his own...

Amen, get said 'stuff' done in a.m., body wakes and loosens up, afternoon golf and post round refreshments.

Maybe I (and others) actually enjoy post round refreshments a nice meal snuggling on the couch watching netflix with one's spouse,,,,,

Love a casual late walk for 4 - 9 holes 2 - 3 balls, that has me come in on dark. Calm music on, walk the waters edge for a few wayward balls

and generally relax.

Try to do this 2 - 3 times a week. I find that really being relaxed lets me feel my swing tempo better and sort out what needs adjustment

so much easier. Its also when I do all my yardages and write notes down on feel. I learn to play a shot from a posn that I had previously

being in during a rnd and messed up so I know the shot next time. I just leave relaxed with a smile on my face and my swing feeling (my key word)'CALM'.

Will think of my fellow sun setters around the world next time. Cheers