Golfing alone

stikillller

I love being the only one on the course, I’m on salt spring island, BC and play an awesome 9 holes course here. Most the time I play alone or one of just a handful of other players. Alone time is the plus. Practicing different shots and techniques or playing 2 balls to turn the 9 into an 18.

Spoiler

Rocking a Titllest Sunday Bag

1. DR 10.5° M2 460cc Mitsubishi Fubuki Alpha 60 Stiff
  2. 4W 16.5° V-Steel Diamana Kai li 75g stiff
  3. 4Hy 22° MP-650 Fujikura Orochi 85g Reg
  4. 5 iron 27° MP-30 Dynalite Gold XP S300 115g
  5. 7 iron 35° MP-30 Dynalite Gold XP S300
  6. 9 iron 43° MP-30 Dynalite Gold XP S300
  7. GW 52-08° Vokey TVD M KBS Hi Rev 120g
  8. LW 58-07° Vokey SM 4 Project X 6.0
  9. Putter Ping Cadence Mid Ketch 350g

I play in a weekly mens league. There are 10-12 guys in it. On any given day I don't mind playing a round with any one of them. That being said I probably play a solo round every 2 weeks. Gives me an opportunity to focus and really slow things down on things I'm trying to improve.

I generally throw out scores I shoot alone (meaning I don't apply them to my ghin)

Most of my rounds this year were solo. My friend I usually play with is a bit of a flake when it comes to committing to play so I just started making tee times and telling him he's welcome to come along. Couple times I was paired up with randoms and it was nice to play with someone for a change but I have grown to like the pace of playing solo.

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

• 2 weeks later...

Outside of sitting at the range all day, getting on the course and playing by myself is a great way to practice. I do that a lot and feel I get the most out of my practice time doing that

Paradym 10.5* - Ventus TR Blue 6X
Stealth 15* - Ventus Red 8X

Apex Hybrid 20* - Ventus Black 10X
TCB Raw 4-PW - Tour Issue X100

Taylormade MG4 50*/55*/60* - Tour Issue S400
Byron Morgan DH89 Carbon 34"

• 2 weeks later...

Do courses have singles only tee times? Where they reserve say maybe 1-2 tee times for singles that want to play with other people. I would sign up for this almost every other weekend if they had this. Im sure if you got 4 singles playing together it would be a fantastic round. People usually playing as a single dont have some skills to get around the course and usually much friendlier than your 3 group of bros.

I play by myself most of the time. I am able to play midweek and there is often no one else to play with. I don't mind playing by myself. I can use the time to hit a couple (or a lot) of extra practice shots if I want, too.

However, I've noticed that I play much better when I am playing with others. When I am by myself I tinker with things and end up overthinking a lot of shots and situations. I have scored my best when I have been playing with others, people that I know and am comfortable with. When I'm hanging with them I don't really overthink my golf stuff.

I have virtually the opposite effect on my game... when TRULY playing alone (here in SE Asia, caddy and cart are required), I concentrate better, don't get distracted by friends, and don't have to wait as long standing over my ball.

The end result most times -- again walking and carrying my own bag -- is a lower score. And it's not me giving myself shots either. I get accused of more mulligans when I share the scores of my solitary rounds with my buddies.

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

I play alone at least 6 times per week. I bring my dog with me and she's off leash chasing balls. Love the alone time, hitting an extra ball (or five) if the first one wasn't flushed, working on your short game.

The one good thing about playing with others is that it puts a little extra pressure. You need to play good under pressure and playing alone doesn't give you that pressure.

There is nothing better than a round of golf alone, especially some of those courses that truly get you away from the rest of humanity. I have always preferred golfing alone if I couldn't golf with my wife. Take it a step further and walk the course instead of driving. I would bring a notebook with you just so you can jot things down that come into your head whether golf related or not. Some of my best ideas came from these solitary rounds.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I enjoy playing alone. I walk at a brisk pace, carrying a minimalist kit of 5-7 clubs. I've played the best golf of my life in the last few years, mostly solo. It's true, what someone stated, YOU WILL get an ace, playing alone, and no one will witness it. Happened to me three years ago.

But, look on the bright side, you know you got an ace, and no huge bar tab.

Playing solo has it other advantages. Golf when you want to, and can. Unless you're paired up, which can be good too, it's just you and the course. No distractions or conversation, just concentrate on golf.

Play well, solo or otherwise.

Just curious on which clubs you bring? That doesn’t sound like very many clubs.

I am weird. I used to love playing single. Like many here, it used to let me focus on different stuff. But now I lose focus playing alone, kind of doesn't matter, I think because I don't 'work' on anything any longer, I have gone through all the swing changes and I am comfortable with just swinging my swing and trying to make good contact. I think I should start challenging myself like playing one ball against another or playing worst shot. But playing with others just makes me pay a little more attention, I guess because I don't want to play like a total moron. I do like getting a few 'nice shot' comments as well during a round.

Do courses have singles only tee times? Where they reserve say maybe 1-2 tee times for singles that want to play with other people. I would sign up for this almost every other weekend if they had this. Im sure if you got 4 singles playing together it would be a fantastic round. People usually playing as a single dont have some skills to get around the course and usually much friendlier than your 3 group of bros.

I've booked hundreds of rounds as a single over the past 10 years, and have never seen tee times set aside specifically for singles. I can't imagine a course turning away a foursome because one or two spots is reserved for a future single golfer. If anything, there are too many courses that won't allow a single to book at all.

Many courses allow a single to book with an existing twosome or threesome, but not in an empty four-slot. You'll see it on the tee sheet as 1 or 1-2 players. If you're looking to play with others, that's your ticket.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I have never seen that but you might be able to back into the experience by finding courses that allow singles to start a tee time. Look for those weekend slots where there is only one player in the slot and add on. Somewhere along the way you should eventually end up with 4 singles in the 4-some.

I have never seen that but you might be able to back into the experience by finding courses that allow singles to start a tee time. Look for those weekend slots where there is only one player in the slot and add on. Somewhere along the way you should eventually end up with 4 singles in the 4-some.

a lot of UK courses -- or perhaps just the clubs themselves -- have designated pairs and singles flights, almost always restricted to weekday afternoons before twilight in the summer, and mornings in the winter.

Edel E-1

I enjoy playing alone. I walk at a brisk pace, carrying a minimalist kit of 5-7 clubs. I've played the best golf of my life in the last few years, mostly solo. It's true, what someone stated, YOU WILL get an ace, playing alone, and no one will witness it. Happened to me three years ago.

But, look on the bright side, you know you got an ace, and no huge bar tab.

Playing solo has it other advantages. Golf when you want to, and can. Unless you're paired up, which can be good too, it's just you and the course. No distractions or conversation, just concentrate on golf.

Play well, solo or otherwise.

Just curious on which clubs you bring? That doesn’t sound like very many clubs.

Usually, 3W, 5,8,PW and putter. Add a driver, for 6, SW for 7. All in a Jones bag.

Try it, you might like it.

I have to spend so much time on golf now looking for singles that are booked to do this. Have done it with some success. My plan is to just play the time I want to play next season and deal with the problem people by just playing the game. Nothing wrong with having a day where people get in your head and you have to focus enough to get through it. Helps with tournament golf.

I have to spend so much time on golf now looking for singles that are booked to do this. Have done it with some success. My plan is to just play the time I want to play next season and deal with the problem people by just playing the game. Nothing wrong with having a day where people get in your head and you have to focus enough to get through it. Helps with tournament golf.

I used to search for only tee times with 1 - 2 players available. You can't do it with the GolfNow interface directly but can with your browsers find feature. Just sort by tee time, enter 1 - 3 in the find box and you should quickly be able to tell if there are any singles booked solo. If you find a slot then maybe head over to the courses site directly and book there to hopefully avoid the GolfNow upcharge.

I'll go to the course as a single, and love getting paired up with others. But when you golf solo (nobody else around) and don't get paired up, I lose interest pretty quickly and it turns into a practice session.

So I'll always book that single tee time when they're only looking for 1-2 players, that way you know you will be paired up with others.

A lot of times after work in the summer I'll snag a cart and try to get as many holes in before dark as I can. There is usually no waiting on anybody or anybody hitting in to you. It is a great chance to hit 2-3 balls and try some shots you wouldn't normally try. I tend to do this now instead of hitting the driving range.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

I only play golf alone besides my dad he is the only person in life that I enjoy playing with for fun, besides maybe an old guy I knew back in the day,I actually enjoy playing with older people if it's random more so it's like a learning experience. Anyway yeah me alone golf second nature otherwise I cant get intense and competitive around what's supposed to be a fun game of golf when Im alone playing from the tips in the wind i'm in the zone i'm focused and probably wouldn't be fun to play with otherwise.

A while back, THIS THREAD had some legs and interesting debate... If anyone is still following the conversation here, it'd be nice to revive that one as well...

Edel E-1