Golfing alone

stikillller

Out there solo at dawn on a summer workday, waiting for the sun to crack through and walk 9 holes before work, is one of my great pleasures in life.

But on the weekend I’d much rather sleep in a bit and play in a group at a more civilized 9am or later tee slot. Catch up with good friends or meet some new ones. Perhaps play a $2 or $5 nassau if folks are so inclined.

Completely different experiences. And each is excellent.

I have a few friends who i do enjoy a full round with but as time goes on, that gets harder and harder to pull off. We all have jobs, other hobbies, kids, etc. Lucky for me, i have a job that can be flexible enough so that i can enjoy a lovely 9 with no one around (except for the grounds crew).

Nothing beats a Tuesday morning tee time.

I moved to Denver around 9 months ago and haven't met golfing friends for consistent play. With that, I play solo or with random peopled that the clubhouse matches you up with.

When being paired at random, it is truly hit or miss. I have had quite a few crazy experiences so far. I do miss a little consistency with people who can play. If I am paired with someone with a high handicap I notice my game seems to match the other's game at times.

I also enjoy solo golf at times. It is relaxing and you can truly take your time and practice if you want. But, as someone mentioned earlier, I had my first Double Eagle last week and no one was there to witness. It was sort of eire. Do I even tell anybody? haha. No big deal, but it was weird emotion.

i love it bit for some reason try to swing out of my shoes with the driver when alone and nothing on the line...and always the very back tees.. duh

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I've tried this year to complete a round solo and it hasn't happened yet. Show up, get paired with people, or catch less than a foursome along the way ona crowded course. Not that I mind terribly, most are very nice people, but I wanted one round alone for the season...
just ask the starter....maybe you can get away with it. Do you play during weekdays?

Mizuno MX-500 10.5* driver<br />Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 13 Degree 3 Wood(as mini-driver)<br />Titleist 910f 16.5* 3 Wood,<br />Titleist 714 CB 3-pw,<br />Scratch 50*DD wedge,<br />Cleveland 588 raw 56* wedge,<br />Odyssey #9 White Hot,<br />Snell My Tour Ball,<br />True Linkswear shoes(da bomb!)<br /><br />TAKE DEAD AIM - Harvey Penick

I hate golfing alone. I'd rather spend hours at the course between the range and short game practice areas than go out on the course by myself. At the course I now play regularly and the course I used to belong to before this one I see a ton of singles. We are typically a threesome and have asked numerous guys if they would like to join us only to be turned down 95% of the time. Especially when the weather is less than ideal, cold and windy, etc, I just can't see playing alone.

But Phil, it is like the range and short game area with real world targets and lies. Walking 18 or 9 alone is great for practice

Mizuno MX-500 10.5* driver<br />Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 13 Degree 3 Wood(as mini-driver)<br />Titleist 910f 16.5* 3 Wood,<br />Titleist 714 CB 3-pw,<br />Scratch 50*DD wedge,<br />Cleveland 588 raw 56* wedge,<br />Odyssey #9 White Hot,<br />Snell My Tour Ball,<br />True Linkswear shoes(da bomb!)<br /><br />TAKE DEAD AIM - Harvey Penick

I walk almost everyday as long as the course is open and it is not pouring.

Sometimes alone and others with friends.

Both are good

I am a great believer in Dr Seuss.

“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!”

“Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.”

I really love both. I love the camaraderie of playing with a group whose company you enjoy, but I also love things about playing by myself. I'm not sure golf gets any better than being out there on a nice evening with the course to yourself and you're hitting the ball well. On those nights you just wish you could stay out there forever.

On a semi-related note, for those that enjoy playing solo, has anyone ignored the USGA's prohibition on posting scores from rounds played alone? I generally don't post any scores from my solo rounds, although I think that it's kind of a stupid rule. I generally follow the rules pretty strictly even when playing alone, so it seems kind of silly not to post those scores. Plus, it's not like my playing partners verify my scores when I post my group rounds, so I'm not entirely sure I understand the point of the rule. Anyway, didn't mean to sidetrack this post but was just curious if people are posting their solo scores.

I moved to Denver around 9 months ago and haven't met golfing friends for consistent play. With that, I play solo or with random peopled that the clubhouse matches you up with.

When being paired at random, it is truly hit or miss. I have had quite a few crazy experiences so far. I do miss a little consistency with people who can play. If I am paired with someone with a high handicap I notice my game seems to match the other's game at times.

I also enjoy solo golf at times. It is relaxing and you can truly take your time and practice if you want. But, as someone mentioned earlier, I had my first Double Eagle last week and no one was there to witness. It was sort of eire. Do I even tell anybody? haha. No big deal, but it was weird emotion.

If you ever need a playing partner, let me know! I often go to courses as a single, and get paired up with a random 2 or 3 some. I usually just stick to my own and am pretty anti-social...but sometimes when I'm forced to share a cart, it gets a little tedious for me.

I hate that rule. Isn't part of the game having integrity? I actually figured it was part of the USGA and R&A getting closer together. I know or think that the European model and set of rules differ from ours.

Certainly there will one day be a WGA and we'll all play under the same rules.

I really love both. I love the camaraderie of playing with a group whose company you enjoy, but I also love things about playing by myself. I'm not sure golf gets any better than being out there on a nice evening with the course to yourself and you're hitting the ball well. On those nights you just wish you could stay out there forever.

On a semi-related note, for those that enjoy playing solo, has anyone ignored the USGA's prohibition on posting scores from rounds played alone? I generally don't post any scores from my solo rounds, although I think that it's kind of a stupid rule. I generally follow the rules pretty strictly even when playing alone, so it seems kind of silly not to post those scores. Plus, it's not like my playing partners verify my scores when I post my group rounds, so I'm not entirely sure I understand the point of the rule. Anyway, didn't mean to sidetrack this post but was just curious if people are posting their solo scores.

I have abided by the ruling and out of 18 outings this year I could only post 6 rounds to GHIN. I always played 1 or 2 rounds per season as pure practice but could be very self-regulating abiding by the Rules of Golf for rounds I intended to post. It is not the end of the world, but my handicap is less accurate under the new rule. I tend to score the same whether I am alone or with other people.

I've tried this year to complete a round solo and it hasn't happened yet. Show up, get paired with people, or catch less than a foursome along the way ona crowded course. Not that I mind terribly, most are very nice people, but I wanted one round alone for the season...
just ask the starter....maybe you can get away with it. Do you play during weekdays?

I do manage to start rounds alone, just never finish that way. Vast majority are weekend.

I did make it through 16 the other day, but was waiting forever on back nine. A threesome caught me on 17 tee and we finished together.

I too, like to occasionally play alone. I'm retired now, but I was a salesman for 42 years. Getting away from people was nice. If I get between foursomes, I can practice chipping and putting once I finished a hole. Also I can experiment with shots I probably wouldn't try playing in a group.

Playing alone is undoubtedly where I developed my specialty chip shots around the green. Bladed wedges, bunker style splashes from deep rough, and hybrid putts. I like practicing these while waiting for the group in front.

95% of my golf rounds are solo. The main reason is that my openings to play golf are sporadic. I golf everyday of the week but seldom more than one round a week. I have 3 kids under the age of 12 so the weekend is difficult.

I belong to a country club which is less for its exclusiveness and more to keep the rounds under 3 hours.

I love playing alone. I am left handed but, because of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident when I was 18, I had to learn to play right-handed. While playing alone one time, I had to hit a shot left handed from beside a tree (flipped a 5 iron upside down) and hit it pretty good considering.

So I went to the store and got a used lefty 5 iron, eventually buying several more clubs. I don't play well lefty but I can break 100, righty I play low 80s. Sometimes when I play alone, I alternate sides. Weird but fun to do.

I did eventually get my solo hole-in-one...lefty after playing 30 years righty.

I played solo today in the nice rainy weather we're having. Shot 83 which is good for me. I feel like I can get in a groove alone better than playing with someone. Almost "like hitting balls on the range" rhythm.

I think there is something about playing your shot, going to your ball, and repeating without having to wait around for three others. I find I play best in a twosome because I still get in rhythm but have someone to chat with to take my mind off each possible mistake.