2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How far do you really hit it?

tsecor

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny in a thread with this title to have responses that are stretching the truth or worse. 275 carry with 101-105 clubhead speed and less-than-perfect smash factor? Not with conforming equipment unless you've got major wind or slope help.

I only saw one post that fits what you describe above and that poster said he averaged much less than that, just that he occasionally hit one 275 when he really got one

As you say, 105 ss and 275 carry is possible with perfect smash factor. Now no one is going to "average" a perfect smash. But the poster didn't claim to unless I missed a post

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

54 and 5'9", 165 lbs:

Good driving on the course is 280. Poor around 250, best this year, was best ever and surpassed "good" by quite a lot, hit a 48* PW 125 yards in smooth comfort, 180 yds w/a 27* 5i.

Saw a genuine WRXer, 2 days a go. Guy's ball was towering 100+ feet at 250 yards out, he must of been going at least 350 with his bombs,

Calm wind

Flat fairway

Normal dry conditions

Age 62

SS 93 mph

-------

short drives = 215 yds

longer drives = 245 yds

I occasionally drive ouside of this envelope.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I'm 40 with SS over 110. My drives average around 265. I get very little to almost no roll most days. I can occasionally crank one out there in the 280 to 290 range. To me those are bombs. I hit a 300 yard ball only once in a blue moon or when, like yesterday, I had a huge amount of wind at my back and that fairway played firm. My 3 wood is probably only about 10 yards shorter than my average drive, if that. Wish I could find a driver that felt and performed the way it does.

It's hard to give iron distances exactly. My number in my head for an iron isn't my max. It's short a few yards so that, to me, it's my normal solid swing. On occasion I'll squeeze a little bit more out of it if the situation makes it the right call. That being said 153 is my 9 iron number. But I'm hitting Speedblades which are longer and had stronger lofts than most.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

It's funny in a thread with this title to have responses that are stretching the truth or worse. 275 carry with 101-105 clubhead speed and less-than-perfect smash factor? Not with conforming equipment unless you've got major wind or slope help.

I only saw one post that fits what you describe above and that poster said he averaged much less than that, just that he occasionally hit one 275 when he really got one

As you say, 105 ss and 275 carry is possible with perfect smash factor. Now no one is going to "average" a perfect smash. But the poster didn't claim to unless I missed a post

275 carry with 105ss is not possible even with perfect smash, launch, and spin afaik. And I didn't really mean to pick on one guy, it's just that this whole discussion gets rehashed every couple weeks it feels like, and a whole lot of people operate under different meanings for "average".

275 carry with 105ss is not possible even with perfect smash, launch, and spin afaik. And I didn't really mean to pick on one guy, it's just that this whole discussion gets rehashed every couple weeks it feels like, and a whole lot of people operate under different meanings for "average".

I had a few 272 carries with a 102-103 SS when I was at callaway last December. This was on their LM they use for the pros. I hit probably 30-40 drives with epic and on some hits the smash factor was perfect. Numbers were something like 15 degrees launch and 2000rpm. So either their LM was wrong or its possible to do.

This discussion does happen too much I agree

I have yet to see a thread asking who is the most accurate iron player in 8 yrs here

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

This discussion does happen too much I agree

I have yet to see a thread asking who is the most accurate iron player in 8 yrs here

Have to agree. I would trade a few yards for a few more greens hit and hit a little closer to the hole. I thought as I got older I would lose a little distance and gain a little accuracy, but it hasn't happened yet. Every once in a while, I'll play with someone who hits it stupid close all the way around and wonder why I can't do that. Then I realize that they've got serious skills and talent that I don't possess.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

At 23 I have peaked for swing speed IMO, currently at 118 average. My carry averages about 290 currently, total averages just over 300. I have a tendency to play a draw as of late which helps with the roll out obviously. I need of a driver shaft fitting for sure, the 915 D4 knuckles with my current shaft. Any suggestions for my current set up would be greatly appreciated!

I'm 38, 5'7", 5 handicap. Play most of my golf at sea level. I average around 270 off the tee, with good strikes carrying about 265. When I play on harder fairways or out in the desert, my average distance will jump up to around 290. Not sure of current swing speed, but probably in the 107-109 range.

Earlier this year I had been doing the Superspeed overspeed training and gained quite a bit of swing speed. In June I had a stretch where I was averaging in the high 290s and had multiple rounds over 300 yards. When I got on a launch monitor during this time, a solid aggressive swing was in the 115-119mph range and I was carrying the ball 285-290. Unfortunately, little injuries and illnesses started stacking up and I quit the overspeed training the past few months. I want to get back into it, since it was making such a huge difference in my driving performance.

Played a tourney this weekend on the coast and averaged 262 off the tee, with a long of 305 and short of 226.

Just got fitted on trackman 2 weeks ago. Here are my averages. I'm at sea level. 43 years old

Driver swing speed 112

Driver ballspeed 167

Aoa +5

Average carry 285

6 iron swing speed 94

6 iron ballspeed 135

Average carry 195

Just played this weekend in Nova

180 yard par 3 uphill

192 to the back

Made a aggressive 7 iron swing and carried back fringe.

Handicaps and distance are not equitable partners. I personally know guys that are scratch and have 186mph ballspeed with driver, and I also know some scratch players who have 150mph ballspeed with driver. Same goes for higher handicaps as well.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

I'd be curious as to how responders calculate carry distance. I don't have trackman numbers since I was fitted 3 years ago (and certainly don't recall what they were), but I have a bunker on a dogleg left that typically needs a 240 yard carry to clear. If I hit it well with no wind assist, my ball hits the lip of that bunker and rolls back to the flat. How's that for scientific?

I am 45 y/o, index 3.3, love to hit my driver...

Driver SS: 109-111

Carry: 272-277

Spin: 1900-2100

Total: 292-295

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I'd be curious as to how responders calculate carry distance. I don't have trackman numbers since I was fitted 3 years ago (and certainly don't recall what they were), but I have a bunker on a dogleg left that typically needs a 240 yard carry to clear. If I hit it well with no wind assist, my ball hits the lip of that bunker and rolls back to the flat. How's that for scientific?

Personally, I go by my laser. My numbers still arent exact, I think I round up my average iron carries. Like, my 7 iron probably carries 168 (instead of 170) more often than not...but its hard to tell if that has more to do with slope, conditions, equipment, or varying swing speeds

With irons/wedges it's pretty easy since I have a laser, just shoot the pin and check where my pitch mark is. Yesterday the pin on the 8th hole was 170 yards and all three of my 7 irons pitched pin high or a few yards short. I play for a 165-170 carry with my 7i so that matches.

With driver I go by the left bunker on the second hole at my home course, it's a flat hole and from the blues it's 265 to carry it. I have flown it a handful of times but normally if I hit it on that line I land just short (250ish) and either bounce into it or over it, or fly it straight in.

You didn't miss a post. I guess I should have clarified what an "imperfect" smash factor is here since we have so many physicists on the site. Since my stats posted were not anything ridiculous (Driver carry of 240 to 275), its kind of hard to believe I'd be lying about that - but wtfe. My smash factor in the fittings was between 1.41 and 1.48, and I would consider 1.5 to be "optimum").

I based my distance averages on observations on the course - not from trackman, so maybe some discrepancy there. Anyway, if superfli6 thinks a 255 average carry is impossible for a 101-105 SS, I guess he just needs come tee it up with me! Cheers

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

How about down wind ? Or is every hole you play into the wind ?

Plus you said responses, plural. Where are the other ones ?

And if yer gonna troll someone at least you could quote the guy. He claimed 255 average, 240 to 275 during a round.

My driver SS is between 101 and 105, based on a series of shaft fittings this year. Driver carry average is 255, so in a round I'll have some at 240 and some at 275.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Glad to have you out to play a round. I think if you read what I wrote, you may see things differently. If you think a 275 carry is "impossible" then you are wrong. Maybe my SS is a little higher on those occasions, maybe I hit the sweet spot perfectly, I'm not sure - all I know is I see where the ball lands, I laser the course features from the tee box, and I know where the GPS tells me the ball stops - so I know total distance. I know how far the course features are = so if the bunker lip is 265 and I clear it, I know it went that far.

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[/list]

With irons/wedges it's pretty easy since I have a laser, just shoot the pin and check where my pitch mark is. Yesterday the pin on the 8th hole was 170 yards and all three of my 7 irons pitched pin high or a few yards short. I play for a 165-170 carry with my 7i so that matches.

With driver I go by the left bunker on the second hole at my home course, it's a flat hole and from the blues it's 265 to carry it. I have flown it a handful of times but normally if I hit it on that line I land just short (250ish) and either bounce into it or over it, or fly it straight in.

Pretty much the same way you calculate it - I laser the features, I laser or GPS where the ball hit the ground (when its' soft and I get no roll).

[list]
[/list]

My drives are usually within feet of my pitch mark. Soft fairways at most courses I play combined with my "have no clue what I'm doing self fitting of clubs" keeps me from getting any roll. I'm ecstatic when I do get some. I will only measure mine via GPS, first marking at the tee spot and then checking it at the ball. And that's only on the 4 flat holes we have on the course. Can't go by the others as you're hitting from an elevated tee box or into a uphill fairway. I hit +300 yards drives on our first hole all the time. Downhill all the way :)

I've played my home course at least 900 times since I got a membership years ago so I've got a good idea of how far I am from center of the green on each hole on average.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

I play early and so it is very easy to see where my drives landed and rolled out to. I use laser, gps and good ole fashioned 1 yard step count off as I walk.

I can easily tell carry and total.