How far do you really hit it?

tsecor

It's always been a risky proposition on this site to mention how far you hit it. Typical response of "show trackman/videos" usually pops up. It's becoming a little more of a safe place here though. I play golf with enough baseball and hockey players to know that flying it 280 doesn't make you a special snowflake. Flying it 280 and hitting fairways, however, does.

That is the truth. I am a pretty long hitter (no trackman #'s to back me up, just GPS measured shots) and I can be wildly inaccurate. Some days I can't miss, but most days are a mixed bag. The distance is always there, but I've found the further you hit the ball the bigger the hook, slice, block, or pull. Some short hitters i play with will hit a hard hook and miss the fairway by 10 yards. I hit a hard hook and It's going at least a hole over or OB depending on the hole layout. I've pretty much eliminated the big miss, but definitely have a lot of room for improving my accuracy.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always been a risky proposition on this site to mention how far you hit it. Typical response of "show trackman/videos" usually pops up. It's becoming a little more of a safe place here though. I play golf with enough baseball and hockey players to know that flying it 280 doesn't make you a special snowflake. Flying it 280 and hitting fairways, however, does.

That is the truth. I am a pretty long hitter (no trackman #'s to back me up, just GPS measured shots) and I can be wildly inaccurate. Some days I can't miss, but most days are a mixed bag. The distance is always there, but I've found the further you hit the ball the bigger the hook, slice, block, or pull. Some short hitters i play with will hit a hard hook and miss the fairway by 10 yards. I hit a hard hook and It's going at least a hole over or OB depending on the hole layout. I've pretty much eliminated the big miss, but definitely have a lot of room for improving my accuracy.

Bingo. As a 11HC I'm right there with you. The misses are always more punishing for me vs. a shorter hitter on equally poor strikes. That is what pushes me towards the 2 iron off the tee on those bad days.

At the same time, they don't have the tremendous distance advantage for the "on" days, so you have to take the good with the bad.

Flightscope Traj Optimizer shows that, in still air at sea level, it takes 164 BS, 2000 rpm spin and 12* launch to carry 280. That is attainable with a SS of 110 or higher. I would imagine that just about any decent young golfer could have the SS and ball contact to get 280 carry.

BTW, Each 1000' elevation change adds about 4 yds. In Denver, you could get 300 carry out of the same specs.

BT

Wrong. There are a lot of good college players that don't carry 280

I'm 48. 6'1" and 210 and still athletic. Been noticing a loss of speed the past two seasons. In warm weather right now I average 280ish with an occasional ball still breaking 300......those occasions are starting to get less frequent though thanks to a year of injuries. The way my left shoulder has been feeling since August I'm just happy to be able to play. My longest confirmed on the course was 339 about 8 years ago.

For comparison sake here are two recent videos for your viewing. The first is 2017 Volvic World Long Drive quarter finalist Paul Howell.

The second video is me. Keep in mind that in this video I'm hitting Paul Howell's very heavy 4* driver with a 3X shaft built for Long Drive competition. This driver was about 2 or 3 inches longer than what I play. Paul was pretty surprised that I could hit his driver like that having never hit it before let alone bomb one in the fairway. His ball was about 340 yards and mine about 310. This is at a coastal course right at sea level. Not too shabby for a 48 year old.

I'm 71 and driver carry is down to 220....and 7I has dropped to 145....but i'm STILL happy to be out there.

I have found that my GIR has gotten much better and most drives are in the short grass..so at least i got that going !

Some of the numbers are fantastic. I have played with a few over the years that were 300 drivers. It does seem as if most of the

numbers in this thread are realistic. I am duly impressed with the number of 270/280's...

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Truth be told, I have tons of swing videos but I don't post them just because some arsehat decides that I'm lying on the internet and requires "proof". Also, I'm shy....

I have some too but I'm not shy.

I'm embarrassed.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

Truth be told, I have tons of swing videos but I don't post them just because some arsehat decides that I'm lying on the internet and requires "proof". Also, I'm shy....

I'm embarrassed.

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to load them. And I get laughed at enough as it is anyway.

I'm embarrassed.

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to load them. And I get laughed at enough as it is anyway.

LOL!!!

Is 250 carry with 93 MPH CH speed viable?

Asking for a friend.. :stink:

If you ever want to know, just use the Flightscope Trajectory Optimizer. It is quite handy at times.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Flightscope Traj Optimizer shows that, in still air at sea level, it takes 164 BS, 2000 rpm spin and 12* launch to carry 280. That is attainable with a SS of 110 or higher. I would imagine that just about any decent young golfer could have the SS and ball contact to get 280 carry.

BTW, Each 1000' elevation change adds about 4 yds. In Denver, you could get 300 carry out of the same specs.

BT

Wrong? Really!?!? So are you saying that that specific BS, Spin & Launch will not give that carry? Cause that's all I'm saying. Never said ALL good college players did that. Nor did I say that players that could do that had to be good college players. Just that many have that capability. I have no doubt that there are good college players that don't carry the ball 280. In fact, I don't think Furyk does, but he's pretty good compared to us! Damn! When are the public schools going to start teaching people how to read and understand what they're reading?

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

BT

Wrong? Really!?!? So are you saying that that specific BS, Spin & Launch will not give that carry? Cause that's all I'm saying. Never said ALL good college players did that. Nor did I say that players that could do that had to be good college players. Just that many have that capability. I have no doubt that there are good college players that don't carry the ball 280. In fact, I don't think Furyk does, but he's pretty good compared to us! Damn! When are the public schools going to start teaching people how to read and understand what they're reading?

BT

Sure, but don't get mad at him.

I read your original text as being very specific, but I can also see it as being misinterpreted by someone not from our region.

BT

BT

Do you think there are college guys not swinging 110 who just aren't working at it enough? I think that's a pretty valid pov. But that would just go to show how rare it is in the golf world to produce that much carry.

BT

BT

Do you think there are college guys not swinging 110 who just aren't working at it enough? I think that's a pretty valid pov. But that would just go to show how rare it is in the golf world to produce that much carry.

What ARE you talking about ?

All he said (that you appear to have addressed) is "I would imagine that just about any decent young golfer could have the SS and ball contact to get 280 carry."

You answered with "Wrong. There are a lot of good college players that don't carry 280". :help:

He never said "ALL college players carried it 280".

That's like someone asking me what color the sky is and I answered "Only when it's raining". :rofl:

Sheesh.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

I've always been kind of surprised on this forum at how infrequently people see long hitters. I grew up in a tiny town in Iowa (my high school consisted of 3 towns, and we still only graduated with 30 kids) and I started taking golf lessons at the same time as the kid who would become THE "golf kid" in our county at a young age. Also, my cousins (lived less than an hour away) were both great golfers. All three of those guys ended up playing college golf and I ended up playing (small-D3) college football. Because of this, I either golfed with my buddy, my cousins, teamates that golfed with them, or my football buddies. ALL of these guys were long... The football guys were big, fast, strong guys that could muscle up a bomb (Mostly inaccurate), and my golfer buddies were 6'2-6'3 lanky, leverage golfers so they were even longer. Of the group I was probably the 3rd longest of the five to eight of us that would play. I know my experience is probably a rare one, but I just don't see how it's so hard for people to believe it when people say how far they hit it or how fast they swing. Bombers are out there on seemingly every course.

That said... we've all heard it- "the woods are filled with big hitters"... and I certainly fall into that category.

BT

BT

When I was college age there is no way I could have generated the swing speed or power I had in my 30s. I was a 6'1 string bean in college. It wasn't until my mid to late 20s that I reached my strength and speed potential. At 40 the slide begins and it accelerates at 45. Enjoy it while it lasts.

GC2 averages from recently:

Driver 272 carry - 285 total

3+W (13*) 260

5+W (18.5) 235

4i -210

5i - 200

6i - 185+

7i - 175

8i - 160

9i - 150

pw - 140

aw - 130

54 - 115

60 - 95

putter - 35yds

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

41 years old. Launch monitor averages for total yards for my stock shot. There's a little more in the tank if I need it...

LW - 93

SW - 105

GW - 118

PW - 132

9I - 146

8I - 158

7I - 176

6I - 190

5I - 202

4I - 215

2H - 230

3W - 250

1W - 275

Dornstar, does that big gap between your 7 and 8 bug you at all? do you have them bent so that the loft gap is bigger than between your other irons?

41 years old. Launch monitor averages for total yards for my stock shot. There's a little more in the tank if I need it...

LW - 93

SW - 105

GW - 118

PW - 132

9I - 146

8I - 158

7I - 176

6I - 190

5I - 202

4I - 215

2H - 230

3W - 250

1W - 275

Dornstar, does that big gap between your 7 and 8 bug you at all? do you have them bent so that the loft gap is bigger than between your other irons?

I would think that depends upon his game and the courses he plays? I have a bigger gap from 6i to 5i and it hasn't been too much of a problem.

LW - 93

SW - 105

GW - 118

PW - 132

9I - 146

8I - 158

7I - 176

6I - 190

5I - 202

4I - 215

2H - 230

3W - 250

1W - 275

I would think that depends upon his game and the courses he plays? I have a bigger gap from 6i to 5i and it hasn't been too much of a problem.

Not really. Distance control is a strong point in my game, so I generally don't have a lot of trouble making up a distance. I also play a lot of long courses.

I think some people need a new tape measure or gps.

A tape measure would be a bit impractical, but would be funny to watch.

GPS is possibly off by 10 yards, but most people take an average of hundreds of shots using golf applications on their phones. Should average out the misreadings.

GPS is fine for ascertaining your position relative to a map of the course, placing you in context to all the hazards, green, etc. But if you seriously want to know a specific distance, use the laser. No brainer, it's the tool designed for precisely that task.

Speaking of tape measures, I almost think some guys would try to use their GPS watch to measure their living room windows for a new set up of blinds.