How far do you really hit it?

tsecor

i am going to get some launch monitor data to throw on here.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 YO at sea level.

Driver is 230 average, soft fairways. Longest ever measured was 290 and I thought i lost it. LOL. 7 iron 155 carry and a 3 wood is about 210 off the deck when I nut one. Those are real every day numbers. 400 yard par fours I'm hitting driver / 6 iron. so the math holds up.

Pretty much the same as Baitkiller,

I got a gps a few years ago, and found out how far I was really hitting it. Driver is normally in the 220-240 range total. 7 iron, a few yards more or less than 160. I'm 55 5 ft. 10 170. Never had my swing speed measured.

Swing Speed is measured by stroll.

How many beers you can drink as you stroll to the ball. Fred Couples strolls, so use a video of him as reference

So 1 beer is 100mph

Life's not fair

So 2 beers is 110mph

If you spill beer

Go back a hole.

Well you asked the question and now here come all the big guns with the 280++. There are legitimately some very good golfers on this forum, many who can match what they are posting, but my feeling is at least 25% are stretching things at least a little. I’ve been going down to the AT&T the last 5 days, today will be 6 and the difference between the pros and 95% of the amateurs on driving distance is very evident. You have your Tony Romos who can keep up but most not even close.

6”0 200lbs 28yo:

I can get a good 20 or 30 yards extra per club if I play the ball back a hair and release the piss out of it. Granted it will draw 15 yards and is much harder to control. I will occasionally play it like that off the tee box or if I’m on the left side of the fairway and really need some distance.

But I like swinging 80%. (PW- 4 are bent 2 degrees strong FYI)

60: 102 yards.

56: 114yards.

52: 130 yards.

PW: 142 yards.

9: 153 yards.

8: 164 yards.

7: 178 yards

6: 185 yards.

5: 196 yards.

4: 212 yards

3H: 232 yards.

3W: 274 yards.

D: 304 yards.

These are GC2 stock average distances after roll.

I play in Texas and it’s super windy here and really have to take wind into play, I may have to club up/down 1 or 2 clubs.

On the range prior to a round I can get a feel for how well I’m striking and measure out a 7 And 4 Iron and it will give me my yardage’s for that specific day. I will generally try to go in increments of 10 yards per club as a guessing tool.

did a simulator for the first time.

Previously thought my "good" drives were 250-260 yds.

I hit about 12 drives on the sim: 233 carry, 244 total. 3500 RPM, average 102mph clubhead speed. Yeah I'm a bit disappointed, but a I gotta figure I'm 60, and it's a benchmark that I can now seek to improve on. My PGA pro wants the RPM done to 2500-3000. Unfortunately, I don't have the launch angle figure.

Here are recent driver #s, constructive comments appreciated. One thing for sure, teeing it lower gets the spin down, and there's nothing like hitting it straight to get max MPH.

Don't put too much stock in the AboutGolf numbers as they can get pretty wonky. The algorithm they use to calculate the ball flight is oftentimes simply wrong. For example, look at the "max height" column--doesn't really jive with your ballspeed and launch...

The raw data (ballspeed, launch angle, spin, direction) should be relatively accurate. As for distances, throw it into the flightscope optimizer if you want to get a better idea of what that really looks like.

This is my 6 iron.

My issue has always been dispersion.

I switched to a lower spinning ball to try and help but still have some work to do.

Shaft ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

did a simulator for the first time.

Previously thought my "good" drives were 250-260 yds.

I hit about 12 drives on the sim: 233 carry, 244 total. 3500 RPM, average 102mph clubhead speed. Yeah I'm a bit disappointed, but a I gotta figure I'm 60, and it's a benchmark that I can now seek to improve on. My PGA pro wants the RPM done to 2500-3000. Unfortunately, I don't have the launch angle figure.

Here are recent driver #s, constructive comments appreciated. One thing for sure, teeing it lower gets the spin down, and there's nothing like hitting it straight to get max MPH.

So how'd you make out ?

Looks like the pro should fix the swing a little bit. Possible negative angle of attack (lower launch and higher spin).

Seems like you're leaving it out to the right so slight strengthening of the grip might square up the face (if all else is good).

But one way or another that spin rate has to come down (you saw the Flightscope data, yes ?). I didn't see where you mentioned either the shaft or the head you're using but changing one or both (rather than(?) your swing) might help. My Fusion is a more forgiving, higher launching head but the Hzrdus Black I've put on it has done wonders for both spin and trajectory as well as tightening up the dispersion.

And given some Tour players are already using the G400MAX I expect they've found a shaft to match with that highly forgiving head as well.

One formula that seems to have stood the test of time here on WRX is that optimal strikes (center strike, launch & spin rate) should carry just about 1.5 times the swing speed.

Hope this helps.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

This is my 6 iron.

I switched to a lower spinning ball to try and help but still have some work to do.

Shaft ?

I currently have XP115 S300 in my irons.

I've been fighting an over the top move forever but have been making good progress with my irons.

You might want to try a heavier shaft. DGS300 (or X100), KBS Tour (120 ?), Modus3 (also 120 ?)

In my current set, an unusual combination, I tried all of Ping's demo shafts. And although my SS probably doesn't match up with an S300, the simulator told me I had significantly better dispersion, at the cost of about 2 yards, over all the lighter weight shafts. No brainer.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

This is my 6 iron.

Shaft ?

I currently have XP115 S300 in my irons.

I've been fighting an over the top move forever but have been making good progress with my irons.

You might want to try a heavier shaft. DGS300 (or X100), KBS Tour (120 ?), Modus3 (also 120 ?)

In my current set, an unusual combination, I tried all of Ping's demo shafts. And although my SS probably doesn't match up with an S300, the simulator told me I had significantly better dispersion, at the cost of about 2 yards, over all the lighter weight shafts. No brainer.

Thanks, I'll look into those.

My fitting was not on a launch monitor. Just outdoors and watching the flight without any real data to back it up.

I have a Skytrak now so I can do some tinkering.

• 3 months later...

Well you asked the question and now here come all the big guns with the 280++. There are legitimately some very good golfers on this forum, many who can match what they are posting, but my feeling is at least 25% are stretching things at least a little. I've been going down to the AT&T the last 5 days, today will be 6 and the difference between the pros and 95% of the amateurs on driving distance is very evident. You have your Tony Romos who can keep up but most not even close.

Not really surprizing since those are the amateurs who can afford to play with the pros. Average age is probably over 60

Every once in awhile I impressed myself with a pretty good tee shot. I was on a 415 yard par for uphill and had a 141 yard 8 iron into the green. My usual drives average about 230 to 240 yards

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

45 year old with lower back issues. SS 93-96. I carry it 210-220 on average with pretty low spin(2000-2400). With roll I am around 230-240 depending on conditions.

You're missing something.

At 93 your carry s/b around 230. At 96 around 240.

Numbers around here generally indicate max carry at about 2.5 times SS on excellent strikes - center hits, launch between 14-17 and spin in the low 2,000s,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Check out flightscope.com

Ping Glide Pro 48*

45 year old with lower back issues. SS 93-96. I carry it 210-220 on average with pretty low spin(2000-2400). With roll I am around 230-240 depending on conditions.

Numbers around here generally indicate max carry at about 2.5 times SS on excellent strikes - center hits, launch between 14-17 and spin in the low 2,000s,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Check out flightscope.com

Not everyone hits the center of the face. . .

There's a big difference between hitting 10 drivers on a sim, in an enclosed environment whilst warmed up and no pressure. Put folk on the first tee with trees to the right, bunker left and so on and they start to add shape, take power off, etc, not to mention getting a bit twitchy and mishitting it.

Personally, in a round where i hit driver maybe 12 times, i get 2 good strikes, the rest all have something not quite right, such as heel/toe strikes, too low/high launch, etc. There's a lot happening between me hitting drivers, unlike on a simulator.

If he had said he swings at 93-96 and carries it 230-240 somebody would be ragging on him like, “So we’re supposed to believe you get a 1.50 smash and perfect launch conditions every time???”

Instead, he gives honest yardages so somebody says he is lying about his CHS...you can’t win around here it seems...

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

My ball speed with a driver is 146-152, used to be higher. I have more of a problem hitting the middle of the club face and actually putting a good swing on the ball. That means I carry from 190-255ish. 3w ball speed I can get into the low-mid 140's, but it spins way above 3250

Below are carry distances:

54 wedge - 100-105

9i - 142-150

6i - 175-185

So I picked up the new ShotScope V2 and it gives you an average number of what you will hit your clubs. Of course the numbers are thrown off a bit based on wind/conditions/type of shot/situation/etc... But it's been pretty good for me. I'm only 6 rounds in so it'll take some time to average out but here are my prediction averages (red) and longest (green). Pretty cool device so far. f4550ac0aee582d261a2ef549ee00807.jpg660d340645236a13a44cf096067c3b54.jpg

Not everyone hits the center of the face. . .

There's a big difference between hitting 10 drivers on a sim, in an enclosed environment whilst warmed up and no pressure. Put folk on the first tee with trees to the right, bunker left and so on and they start to add shape, take power off, etc, not to mention getting a bit twitchy and mishitting it.

Personally, in a round where i hit driver maybe 12 times, i get 2 good strikes, the rest all have something not quite right, such as heel/toe strikes, too low/high launch, etc. There's a lot happening between me hitting drivers, unlike on a simulator.

I understand what both of you are saying and I agree. But I'm not sure I get your points (quoting me anyway).

I was merely pointing out what guys should get WITH center strikes.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Most days I'm lucky to get any roll, but my very best driver carry will be 275, at most on the level. Most well-struck shots are 260-265 carry. Here's a funny story when I was watching a tournament after Tiger came back from this last layoff stint. He was swinging so hard and looked like he was bound for injury again, and I told my dad to come watch one of his tee shots on replay, to see what he thought. He said, "yeah, pretty quick move but not as violent-looking as you!" If I could sequence the swing with better mechanics I'd be a force but alas, I'm still doing it wrong....

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

My stat tracking over the past several years includes Average (including all drives, even the worst mishits) and 75th Percentile (meant to represent the average with solid contact).

Long term: Avg is 194, 75th pctl is 215 (hitting 50% of fairways)

Past two months with my new M4 driver: Avg is 205, 75th pctl is 222 (hitting 51% of fairways)

If I had to give one number I'd say my driving distance is around 210. Last time I hit on a monitor my average CHS was 89mph.

6-iron carry is 150-155

P.S. If we're supposed to be saying our whole set of distances, here's my current best guesses:

Driver 210

5w 190

4 175

5 165

6 155

7 145

8 135

9 122

W 110

U 100

S 90

and then a couple of other wedges I don't use for full swings.

I'd be curious as to how responders calculate carry distance. I don't have trackman numbers since I was fitted 3 years ago (and certainly don't recall what they were), but I have a bunker on a dogleg left that typically needs a 240 yard carry to clear. If I hit it well with no wind assist, my ball hits the lip of that bunker and rolls back to the flat. How's that for scientific?

This is pretty much how I 'calculate' mine, as well. 17 at my home course is a par 5 dogleg right, over water. Depending on the angle you take, going over the water requires a carry anywhere from 242 - 268 (shot with a laser), which I don't usually have trouble. I've taken that carry at its longest point in the past.

I've not been on an LM that measures your head speed, rather calculates, so I don't have any real idea. I'm as long as a regular partner that has been measured in the 108 - 112 range, but my launch/spin characteristics might be better or worse, so I just use that as a rough guesstimate.