How far do you really hit it?

tsecor

I think some people need a new tape measure or gps.

You probably just need to convert our silly imperial system to metric. It's not that absurd ;)

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is 250 carry with 93 MPH CH speed viable?

Asking for a friend.. :stink:

The math says nope...not possible.

If you are at elevation with a stiff breeze helping and just pure it....ya got a chance.

On the other hand...if you go to the local big box outlet, get in a bay with the radar jacked, sure!

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.0* (set to 11*)  PX EvenFlow 5.5 

Callaway Epic Flash 13.5* 3 wood   PX EvenFlow 5.5

Callaway Epic Flash 18* 5 wood   PX EvenFlow 5.5

Callaway Big Bertha $ Hybrid 19*   Recoil F3

TaylorMade M2 Irons (2016)  5-AW  FST Reax 88 Stiff

Titleist Vokey 54/12F  60/10S

Odyssey Toe-Up #9  34"  

Titleist Pro V1x

I wish I had access to a LM to get distances. This past off season I went through quite a bit of strength training. My drives were longer and so were my irons. The downside was all of my distances were way off. I was flying greens all the time. Couldn't really get a good handle on my carry distances. Wasn't until half way through the season that I started getting my feel down. To have a tool that accurately measures your ball flight would be amazing.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I wish I had access to a LM to get distances. This past off season I went through quite a bit of strength training. My drives were longer and so were my irons. The downside was all of my distances were way off. I was flying greens all the time. Couldn't really get a good handle on my carry distances. Wasn't until half way through the season that I started getting my feel down. To have a tool that accurately measures your ball flight would be amazing.

Laser rangefinder. Good for plus or minus about a yard.

Laser rangefinder. Good for plus or minus about a yard.

Oh, I have one. But, when I was flying greens I had no idea how far I was carrying the ball. It would land long and take a huge bounce. I could never tell where it actually landed.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

• 2 months later...

I was talking the other day with an instructor I know who had a fairly successful amateur career and actually played on the PGA tour for several years. I'm 53, he's 51.

We were talking about eyesight and seeing the ball. I said something about decreasing distances as you age being necessary because you can't see the ball if you hit it too far. He said "I know what you mean. I only carry my drives out about 240 anymore."

Really put the distance thing into perspective for me. If a former tour pro in relatively good physical condition, who teaches on a daily basis and plays regularly only hits his drives 240, then 220 yard drives for me seems completely reasonable.

I was talking the other day with an instructor I know who had a fairly successful amateur career and actually played on the PGA tour for several years. I'm 53, he's 51.

We were talking about eyesight and seeing the ball. I said something about decreasing distances as you age being necessary because you can't see the ball if you hit it too far. He said "I know what you mean. I only carry my drives out about 240 anymore."

Really put the distance thing into perspective for me. If a former tour pro in relatively good physical condition, who teaches on a daily basis and plays regularly only hits his drives 240, then 220 yard drives for me seems completely reasonable.

Exactly, nothing wrong with that. Growing up, my dad hit it 280, now at almost 57 years old he hits it about 220-240. 220 at 53 years old is just fine!

did a simulator for the first time.

Previously thought my "good" drives were 250-260 yds.

I hit about 12 drives on the sim: 233 carry, 244 total. 3500 RPM, average 102mph clubhead speed. Yeah I'm a bit disappointed, but a I gotta figure I'm 60, and it's a benchmark that I can now seek to improve on. My PGA pro wants the RPM done to 2500-3000. Unfortunately, I don't have the launch angle figure.

I hit about 12 drives on the sim: 233 carry, 244 total. 3500 RPM, average 102mph clubhead speed. Yeah I'm a bit disappointed, but a I gotta figure I'm 60, and it's a benchmark that I can now seek to improve on. My PGA pro wants the RPM done to 2500-3000. Unfortunately, I don't have the launch angle figure.

One of those figures is wrong... Either the distance or the swing speed. 102 swing speed should be producing roughly 260. I would guess the swing speed is off since lots of monitors screw that up.

One of those figures is wrong... Either the distance or the swing speed. 102 swing speed should be producing roughly 260. I would guess the swing speed is off since lots of monitors screw that up.

maybe it was 101 mph, but I'll check.

The low point of my swing speed range is around 102. (102-107 is my range). The 102s usually go 260 ish

The low point of my swing speed range is around 102. (102-107 is my range). The 102s usually go 260 ish

A couple pieces are missing though. We have his swing speed, but not his ball speed. If he is making poor contact that could account for the high spin numbers. We also don't know what his launch numbers are. My guess is one or both are less than perfect creating the discrepancy in carry distance.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

A couple pieces are missing though. We have his swing speed, but not his ball speed. If he is making poor contact that could account for the high spin numbers. We also don't know what his launch numbers are. My guess is one or both are less than perfect creating the discrepancy in carry distance.

OK, next time ball speed and launch angle. My pro said check the RPMs and launch angle, in additional to MPH of course.

Woof. Really wish I had an accurate answer. Here is my best guess for the driver at least.

95 mph (ish) swing speed. 220-230 carry max, around 245-255 total distance when said and done (on a pretty good hit).

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Spin is way too high. Need ballspeed numbers to see about contact, too. You probably hit down on it too much

I know my pro wants 2500-3000 rpm, gotta lower that. If my head cold abates I'll try this weekend. Had it almost a month now ugh.

This would give you a good idea of your potential distance gains. Once you have all of the necessary data points, you can enter them in (ball speed, launch angle, and spin). It will give you a carry distance. Then, you can drop the spin number down to what your coach is having you aim for to see how it affects your carry distance.

https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I know my pro wants 2500-3000 rpm, gotta lower that. If my head cold abates I'll try this weekend. Had it almost a month now ugh.

This would give you a good idea of your potential distance gains. Once you have all of the necessary data points, you can enter them in (ball speed, launch angle, and spin). It will give you a carry distance. Then, you can drop the spin number down to what your coach is having you aim for to see how it affects your carry distance.

https://flightscope....tory-optimizer/

For instance. By using a launch angle of 11 degrees with the numbers that you provided, I have to put in a ball speed of 143 to get those carry numbers. That is a smash factor of 1.4-ish, which could definitely be improved upon by improving contact. With that swing speed, your ball speeds should ideally be in the high 140's to low 150's with good contact. And lastly, were you using range balls by chance?

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I got an interesting perspective from Game Golf today, which I hadn't used for a while until a couple of weeks ago. I actually had a decent day off the tee and hit several proper driver, 3w, and 2H tee shots. I also hit one not so great 3w, a few lateral hazards, and completely duffed my driver on on the 10th hole (it only went 81 yards). It was still none too warm (45-50 over the round) and a little windy (one club or a club and a half with a few calm holes). However, the fairways were hard and I got run I normally would not get on 2 holes.

Here is what was interesting: of the 9 times I used driver, that one duff pulled the mean down from 277.x to 256.x. The bad 3w was 218 after hitting a tree,which mean that the 3w average with one good one (267), and one that got unusual run out (320) was actually higher than the D (268 vs 256) with a similar median. Now I am by no means a long drive competitor, but my problem is strike consistency and not swing speed. For anyone like me, who can hit it decently far, but who isn't a great golfer it is all about getting rid of the bad ones. It only took one to take me from 10 or so notches up from JIm Furyk at the bottom of the 2017 PGA tour avg drive distance stat down to just a little above Game Golf's "Scratch" (which is probably a bit better that scratch because it includes everyone below their zero). Throw in one more shortie and it'd be just another guy hitting it less than 250 on average.

You guys shouldn't be losing that much distance with age. If you have a properly sequenced swing, you shouldn't be losing that much distance in your 50s. 60s maybe, but not mid-50s.

http://www.golfwrx.c...-lost-with-age/

http://www.golfwrx.c...12.16.58-PM.png

Exactly, nothing wrong with that. Growing up, my dad hit it 280, now at almost 57 years old he hits it about 220-240. 220 at 53 years old is just fine!

Not surprising. It's possible if he's using lower compression range balls that slow down the initial flight speed or if he's not making ideal contact.

102 should get carries in the 240s with real balls if he makes perfect contact with optimal launch conditions.

http://www.golfwrx.c...s/2015/04/4.png

Here are recent driver #s, constructive comments appreciated. One thing for sure, teeing it lower gets the spin down, and there's nothing like hitting it straight to get max MPH.

Here are recent driver #s, constructive comments appreciated. One thing for sure, teeing it lower gets the spin down, and there's nothing like hitting it straight to get max MPH.

Pretty decent numbers. You could lower your BS numbers as you've mentioned in some other posts, but other than that you're pretty consistent.

• 4 weeks later...

Measured one at 318 today. (GPS) Only one of two fairways I hit. Sea level, flat ground mot much wind but with some big grass bumps down the right side. Since this is least 25 yards longer than my previous best (which was also a fluke) I am assuming that I got some backside down-slope love on the landing. Left me a flop wedge to 10 feet. Missed the putt. Normal drives usually finish up around 230 ish.