2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Maltby DBM/MMB/TE Forged Question

jasonp87

Yup, DBM for sure now. lol. How many times have i changed my mind? Those wedges good? Now I’m not sure if going from black irons back to satin Ping glides will mess with me

You're in luck! Ping is coming out with new Glide wedges with a raw/black finish. There's a thread on it somewhere...

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry16636104

(Link includes a pic)

Thanks!

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im still loving my RTX 3. But if i like my MMB as much as i think i will then my next wedges will be the Maltby MG Tour Grind.

The 60* is on backorder. Was middle December then pushed back further to end of Jan. Grrrrrr.

PING G400 MAX, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 SFT 3W, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 7W, Tour AD-BB
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW, Modus 120
Mizuno T-20 52, 56, 60, DG Tour Isssue
TM Spider CS
Titleist Pro V1x

The Maltby TG are my 2nd set of Maltby wedges and they’re great. I still have my M series and they’re in good condition still.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

I am very interested in this or the TE Forged (same iron) they get fantastic reviews. Super soft and forgiving. Beautiful looking.

Ive read countless reviews to this affect.

However most say these go High...but theres no comparison or launch data etc. Some are saying they go high but are comparing to old gamers with different shafts etc.

So a couple questions.

1) When people say higher are they launching higher or peaking higher or both? ...

I would suggest that most golfers are talking about launching higher, or not launching short irons too high and ballooning the shot. Most golfers don't worry much about peak height.

This is making me want to sell mine and build a set with different shafts!

I went to the GolfWorks basic clubsmithing course in 2012 and got to try some of their Maltby golf clubs. If you look at the GolfWorks catalog https://www.golfwork...club-heads/c/1/, most of the Maltby-designed iron heads fall in the two highest Maltby Playability Factor ranges.

• DBM Forged / TE Forged / MMB.17: MPF > 701, putting them in Maltby's Super Game Improvement range
  • KE4 series / STi: MPF > 851, putting them in Maltby's Ultra Game Improvement range

---------------------------------------------------------

The MPF is derived from an six-factor mathematical equation using clubhead measurements.

Here are MPF categories: http://ralphmaltby.com/what-is-mpf/

Golf Digest Hot List ratings classify club models according to market niche: Player's, Game Improvement, or Super Game Improvement. In comparison, the Hot List Player's category picks the lower half of the MPF zones, and splits the MPF SGI category in half.

Note: Maltby cautions that the MPF only rates the clubhead performance, basically how user-friendly it is on ball launch; type of shaft used is a separate factor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GolfWorks people had several test clubs with different shaft models and lengths. The DBM Forged flew quite differently depending on the shaft (no surprise). I got much more consistency out of the KBS Tour 90 (100 grams and mid-high launch) vs. a shaft comparable to the DG S300 (127 grams and low launch).

This falls in line with what Pi5Seeker suggests.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Just saw the new PTMs, anyone know where these sit relative to the DBM/TE and the MMB?

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ptm-black-forged-iron-heads/p/MA0286S/

Same player profile, but stronger lofts. I prefer the TE Forged in looks and lofts.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Just saw the new PTMs, anyone know where these sit relative to the DBM/TE and the MMB?

https://www.golfwork...eads/p/MA0286S/

Higher COG (sweet-spot) vs DBM/TE....about the same COG as MMB. Lower lofts and higher bounce than both

Does higher COG mean they will launch higher than the DBM? Or the sweet spot is just higher on the face?

I have my dbm set up in the BST if anyone is interested. Would consider heads only as well.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580702-price-drops-dbm-xcg6-xp105-xp115-ping-tr-7ch-fourteen-3-xtd-forged-heads-pic-heavy/

Titleist TSR3 9.0 Ventus Black 6X
Titleist TSi2 13.5 Tensei AV Blue 75X

Callaway Epic Flash 18 Rogue Max 85TX
Titleist TSi2 21 Tensei AV Blue 75X
Sub 70 639 CB Black 5-8 KBS 120S
Sub 70 639 MB Black 9-PW KBS 120S
Sub 70 JB Black 48 KBS Tour S
Sub 70 JB Black 54 KBS TGI 80S
Sub 70 JB Full Groove Black 58 KBS TGI 80S
Bettinardi QB6 SBS

Higher COG (sweet-spot) vs DBM/TE....about the same COG as MMB. Lower lofts and higher bounce than both

Does higher COG mean they will launch higher than the DBM? Or the sweet spot is just higher on the face?

Since irons/wedges do not have gear effect,... "all else equal" in the rest of club, a higher COG (sweet-spot) will tend to flight lower with less spin. Although this depends a lot on player swing characteristics and how high/low on the face their impact pattern is

Britt was saying that during testing there was not much visible difference in launch, they did fly further and land softer. I have a lost package or i would already be testing the PTM against the MMB-17

Did I hear correctly about a new muscle back coming this year or was that just hopeful dreams. Not really seeing much in the ptm that would make me upgrade from my TE/MMB combo.
Britt was calling it a non cavity back which is technically what the MMB-17 is. He was personally very excited about this non cavity head but it won't be till mid summer launch. Plus there is one more forging on the way, not much details on that one. They have been very secretive on these new irons.

I've got a like new set of DBM's with Tour Issue X100 Soft Stepped that I'm going to list as soon as I can take pics. If anyone is interested PM me.

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

Did I hear correctly about a new muscle back coming this year or was that just hopeful dreams. Not really seeing much in the ptm that would make me upgrade from my TE/MMB combo.
Britt was calling it a non cavity back which is technically what the MMB-17 is. He was personally very excited about this non cavity head but it won't be till mid summer launch. Plus there is one more forging on the way, not much details on that one. They have been very secretive on these new irons.

Looks like the mmb's are safe through summer!

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

Theyre here!!!!! Absolutely stunning irons. So happy i went with the MMB.

First and foremost they look lovely in the bag and from address. Overall theyre smaller then my 714ap2. Thinner topline and overall smaller profile. Offset is very close. Sole is thinner.

I obviously havent hit them yet and it may be a little bit before i can because its winter in Toronto. But ill try to get to a sim or indoor range.

On that note though i can chip in the basement. Feel is a bit harder to judge on a chip but theyre exactly as most have said. Theyre softer on pure strikes then my 714ap2. On mishits theyre a bit clickier then the ap2...id say feel is very close to the srixon 765 and or tm 770. Speaking of the 770 theyrr roughly that size and profile.

As for the build i had GW assemble them at a slightly modified 3/8 PoorMans MOI .5SWP progression build with a 38.15" 4i at D2.5 to a 36" PW at D5.5. Built with Modus 125 shafts in X flex. The shafts feel amazing

More to come and pictures too

First and foremost they look lovely in the bag and from address. Overall theyre smaller then my 714ap2. Thinner topline and overall smaller profile. Offset is very close. Sole is thinner.

I obviously havent hit them yet and it may be a little bit before i can because its winter in Toronto. But ill try to get to a sim or indoor range.

On that note though i can chip in the basement. Feel is a bit harder to judge on a chip but theyre exactly as most have said. Theyre softer on pure strikes then my 714ap2. On mishits theyre a bit clickier then the ap2...id say feel is very close to the srixon 765 and or tm 770. Speaking of the 770 theyrr roughly that size and profile.

As for the build i had GW assemble them at a slightly modified 3/8 PoorMans MOI .5SWP progression build with a 38.15" 4i at D2.5 to a 36" PW at D5.5. Built with Modus 125 shafts in X flex. The shafts feel amazing

Wait until you see how forgiving they are and how a bad stroke will not punish you horribly with distance loss.

I'm confused. Have you hit them or not? I know someone considering them.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Like i said ive chipped with them and taken some dry swings in the backyard. Hence why i can give only a rudamentary feel on both the head and shaft.

Are u asking about the shaft or head. The shaft feels like a much smoother DG x100. Easier to load but super stable. They are slightly more balanced then the DG too. The DG can sometimes feel heavy. They are definetly NOT counterbalanced tho.

For comparison i know C Tapers are CB. The C tapers i have in stiff are only 120gr and the SW is the same as my MMB build however at address the c taper feel heavier. In the swing the C Taper feel light and i lose the head. With DGs sometimes the head feels like a sledge hammer. The Modus 125 is right in the middle. If youve ever hit a SPB its close to that but the SPB is slightly more Cb then the 125. The 125 for me is a perfect blend.

Pics or it didn’t happen

Like i said ive chipped with them and taken some dry swings in the backyard. Hence why i can give only a rudamentary feel on both the head and shaft.

Are u asking about the shaft or head. The shaft feels like a much smoother DG x100. Easier to load but super stable. They are slightly more balanced then the DG too. The DG can sometimes feel heavy. They are definetly NOT counterbalanced tho.

For comparison i know C Tapers are CB. The C tapers i have in stiff are only 120gr and the SW is the same as my MMB build however at address the c taper feel heavier. In the swing the C Taper feel light and i lose the head. With DGs sometimes the head feels like a sledge hammer. The Modus 125 is right in the middle. If youve ever hit a SPB its close to that but the SPB is slightly more Cb then the 125. The 125 for me is a perfect blend.

I was asking about the heads and will wait until you have taken full swings.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Sweet!!

Thanks

I want the MMB but still get scared they won’t be forgiving enough for me as a 9 HC. keep thinking I need DBM. I need to just pull the freakin trigger but go back and forth on shafts and heads everyday.

Im also a 9hcp and went MMB blind. Ive hit the DBM so i can compare.

I went the MMB as i did a couple professional fittings with reputable fitters and the TM P770 came up every time. The MMB were closer in spec then the DBM to the 770 so i went MMB.

The DBM are quite a low avcog. I was hitting the dbm quite high when i tried them mind u they were a friends and they had a 85gr graphite stiff vs the normal 125gr stiff to xstiff i need.

Im also a 9hcp and went MMB blind. Ive hit the DBM so i can compare.

I went the MMB as i did a couple professional fittings with reputable fitters and the TM P770 came up every time. The MMB were closer in spec then the DBM to the 770 so i went MMB.

The DBM are quite a low avcog. I was hitting the dbm quite high when i tried them mind u they were a friends and they had a 85gr graphite stiff vs the normal 125gr stiff to xstiff i need.

nice.

I want like a 105g graphite. I have real bad tennis elbow in my right elbow. I need the xcaliber to come back.

Been using my CFS R hard stepped twice and I love those in my i20s. Would love to try the Paderson shafts but can’t find enough info on them.

Keep thinking of just going as cheap as possible and try the SCORE shafts in the club pack so if I buy some graphite later it won’t be that much overall.

So I am just getting back into playing more consistently and have been looking at more equipment and tinkering on my on. What are the main differences in shaft weight if they are all stiff? Trying to get a general idea for comparing 85-105g graphites to the 90-120g steels. Are there any good forum/sites discussing broad trends or people have just tried a bunch of things over the years?