2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Whats the "get in shape for 2018" plan???

tigerfan23

2017 was decent. Did quite a bit of yoga in jan - march - golfed and did nothing else until Sept. Started lifting weights again in Sept unitl now.

I've done P90X and P90x3 in the past (P90X3 was amazing)

What is the Plan for 2018?????

@ almost 40 I think my weightlifting career is over. I would love to do yoga every other day with 30 min on treadmill every other day. That is my plan in 2018. Nothing crazy just work on flexibilty and lose a few lbs...

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5 Tour AD DI 6 Stiff

Callaway UT 17 and 21 MMT 70 Stiff

PXG 0311 P Gen 6 4-G

SM10 56S 60M

Bettinardi Queen B 6

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finish the final 140 miles of trails I have yet to do. Should be done by May, Currently I have 40 of 54.3 done in the southern/central sections. Plus hiked most of them more than once. I've lost more weight and more inches off my gut in the 2.5 months I have been hiking than I did when I worked out consistently 3 days a week for 3 months before my gym closed down. Not to mention leg/core strength improving especially when I do solid elevation gain hikes.

http://www.mcdowellsonoran.org/visit-the-preserve/recreation/self-guided-hiking/

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm 36 and in better shape than i've ever been in. Last 2 years i've set some goals and hit a lot of them so i will keep trying to work on things.

Last year (2016) i ran over 3000km which was admittedly a bit too much, but i got in great shape cardiovascular wise. It's really helped me with various things. I started playing flag football again and i can forever LOL. I don't get tired during golf rounds obviously. In 2016 i set out to run a sub 5 minute mile and did. I also ran a sub 30 minute 5 mile and did it by a good margin.

Unfortunately i got skinny as F and lost a lot of swing speed. So this year i had set out to work out a lot, i cut my running down to 2400-2500km, and started deadlifitng, squatting and doing pushups and chin ups. My goal this year is to deadlift 350lbs and i'm pretty close (i weigh about 170lbs)

So 2018 i hope to keep doing that. I'm having a baby mid year so if i can just maintain i'll be happy. Fortunately i can get in workouts at lunch at work

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

3 to 4x week

1 hour in gym.

Each day in gym...25 minutes running treadmill with incremental increase in incline every 5 minutes, 2*, 4*, 5*, then decrease back to 2*

Then, lift!

Day 1. Dumbell press, warmup then rep 12, 10, 8, 6. Shldr press, 10, 10 , 8, 8. As heavy as I can to failure.

Day 2, seated rows or pulldown, warmup then 12, 10, 8, 8. Incline curls, 8, 8, 6,6.

Day 3, alternate weeks of the above. Chest/shldrs 2x one week. Back, bis, 2x the next.

Then, once a week (or other week ; ) do 4 sets of deadlifts or squats. Not heavy at all.

Sat & Sun, 1 hour of walking with wife in the woods. Lots of hills. The walks are my favorite.

Gotta do it in your 40s ; ) Hooked on lifting, though, really clears your head.

I'm 36 and in better shape than i've ever been in. Last 2 years i've set some goals and hit a lot of them so i will keep trying to work on things.

Last year (2016) i ran over 3000km which was admittedly a bit too much, but i got in great shape cardiovascular wise. It's really helped me with various things. I started playing flag football again and i can forever LOL. I don't get tired during golf rounds obviously. In 2016 i set out to run a sub 5 minute mile and did. I also ran a sub 30 minute 5 mile and did it by a good margin.

Unfortunately i got skinny as F and lost a lot of swing speed. So this year i had set out to work out a lot, i cut my running down to 2400-2500km, and started deadlifitng, squatting and doing pushups and chin ups. My goal this year is to deadlift 350lbs and i'm pretty close (i weigh about 170lbs)

So 2018 i hope to keep doing that. I'm having a baby mid year so if i can just maintain i'll be happy. Fortunately i can get in workouts at lunch at work

congrats on that! it's the best feeling ever.

I would love to run but I'm a big guy and always quit after a few weeks. Home workouts (Yoga, Beachbody stuff) is really the only things I keep up without losing interest.

How did you start running? Just run? Walk a bit run a bit kinda thing or just run??

PXG 0311 P Gen 6 4-G

SM10 56S 60M

Bettinardi Queen B 6

3 to 4x week

1 hour in gym.

Each day in gym...25 minutes running treadmill with incremental increase in incline every 5 minutes, 2*, 4*, 5*, then decrease back to 2*

Then, lift!

Day 1. Dumbell press, warmup then rep 12, 10, 8, 6. Shldr press, 10, 10 , 8, 8. As heavy as I can to failure.

Day 2, seated rows or pulldown, warmup then 12, 10, 8, 8. Incline curls, 8, 8, 6,

Day 3, alternate weeks of the above. Chest/shldrs 2x one week. Back, bis, 2x the next.

Then, once a week (or other week ; ) do 4 sets of deadlifts or squats. Not heavy at all.

Sat & Sun, 1 hour of walking with wife in the woods. Lots of hills. The walks are my favorite.

Gotta do it in your 40s ; )

I love the Push / Pull split - been doing it on and off for a while and makes it simple.

PXG 0311 P Gen 6 4-G

SM10 56S 60M

Bettinardi Queen B 6

congrats on that! it's the best feeling ever.

I would love to run but I'm a big guy and always quit after a few weeks. Home workouts (Yoga, Beachbody stuff) is really the only things I keep up without losing interest.

How did you start running? Just run? Walk a bit run a bit kinda thing or just run??

I started at about 29. I was in really good shape until i was about 24 as i played college basketball and football. Then after college i got out of shape and put on about 30-40lbs of flabby goodness. So then i started running because i felt it would get me in better shape. My parents were both marathon runners so it was in the genes so to speak.

But i started slow, for a couple of years basically just 3-4K a day, and slowish pace.

At about 33-34 i started doing more distance combined with eating better and the weight just dropped quickly. And with that i started doing some time training

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

2017 was decent. Did quite a bit of yoga in jan - march - golfed and did nothing else until Sept. Started lifting weights again in Sept unitl now.

I've done P90X and P90x3 in the past (P90X3 was amazing)

What is the Plan for 2018?????

@ almost 40 I think my weightlifting career is over. I would love to do yoga every other day with 30 min on treadmill every other day. That is my plan in 2018. Nothing crazy just work on flexibilty and lose a few lbs...

At 50...my weightlifting career should be over, but I'll stick with it. For next year I really want to drop some weight. I've been around the same weight for the past 30 years. But, I want to take 10 off. Jumping rope, less carbs, (gasp) less beer. It's just a minor, permanent lifestyle change. I'm also focusing on swing speed by starting to do related exercises regularly.

I am in perfect shape already, I am just choosing oval as my shape!

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

@ 240 now (not good for a 5'4" frame) I'd like to drop 20 possibly 30 by the summer and maintain. Hoping for the gym 3-4 days a week cardio and whole body workouts. Once spring rolls around walking 9 then hopefully 18 at times.

Just like to be able to sustain a decent pace through the whole round not run out of gas in the last 4-5 holes.

3 to 4x week

1 hour in gym.

Then, lift!

Day 2, seated rows or pulldown, warmup then 12, 10, 8, 8. Incline curls, 8, 8, 6,

Gotta do it in your 40s ; )

I love the Push / Pull split - been doing it on and off for a while and makes it simple.

Decided to switch up rep range today.

Figure go heavier.

So, DB bench, warmup (14) then 9,8,7,7.

Was very good. Heart rate kicked up more, rested longer between sets. Like 2.5 minutes or so. Specially on sets carrying the dbs back to the rack when upping weight between sets. Im not rushing that...Im old now ; )

I crossfit twice a week with an emphasis more on cardio more than weights. I'd like to fit another day or two throughout the week with running/jogging but I'll probably have to swap that out for something with less impact on my knees and joints OR maybe switch to trail running only. The plan is to drop down to about 180-ish, maybe even 175 (I feel a lot slower at my current weight of 190). I do have a 1 and a 3 year old so the only workouts I can guarantee are my 2 crossfit ones since I do those right after work. Once I get home it's a crap shoot on whether or not I have the time to do anything else.

I do a little running, three or four miles a couple times a week. Awfully slow though. And still playing a little pickup basketball at noon at the local Y once or twice a week. Fortunately it’s for the most part an older group of guys (not as old as me, but not kids either) so it’s not cut throat. And most of them take it a bit easy on the old guy.

I know I really need to start lifting some weights, I just hate it.

I'd like to make a suggestion. For those wanting to get into shape in a way that's not boring - check out your local boxing gym. Since I turned 40 I've been a regular in one here in town. You don't have to spar. But, the workouts in boxing are really effective in building your cardiovascular system up, increasing hand speed and power. And, after a good session after work you'll notice the next day that you feel soooo relaxed. Very therapeutic to burn energy on the heavy bag. Very.

My goal is to lose the remaining 10 lbs needed to get back to my highschool graduation weight. I think that will be pretty cool since my 20 year reunion is coming up. I don't plan on attending it or anything since I live in another state now, I just think it will be cool to say if I pull it off.

I just need to quit eating like an idiot. My bad back and bad knees limit my ability to workout in any truly meaningful way. I love running, but at my current weight, it is just painful. when I get back down to something respectable again, I'll probably start running again as well. At one point I was running 6-7 miles/day 5 days a week. While it was very relaxing and therapeutic, I think if I could get back to 3-4 miles 3-4 days a week, I'd be good. And by running, I mean a mid-sow paced jog. I run at about 10-10.5 min/mile pace. I have no desire to run any faster than that, and anything slower I might as well be powerwalking.

For me though, diet is key. I went from 280 to 215 over a 4 month period by doing absolutely nothing more than just changing quantity and quality of intake. Kept it off for a few years till I started seeing my current wife. My back was destroyed and I couldn't even stand up straight, let alone do any kind of exercise. since then, I've gotten divorced, and remarried, and put most of that weight back on. We eat out a lot, which is never good. And we both love food & beer, which is equally not as good, lol. We've both gained weight since we started seeing each other, and have been talking about fixing it recently. I've lost 15 lbs in the last 5-6 weeks. Lost 10 or so the first 2, gained all of it back over the next 2, and lost it again this last 2. If I can just get consistent, I'll be ok.

When I initially lost all of that weight a few years ago, I had to buy a whole new wardrobe, and I donated all of my clothes that no longer fit. I literally took 10 or so trash bags stuffed full of clothes to the goodwill. Now, I have the clothes I bought after I lost the weight, and most of them don't fit. They are still packed in a couple of boxes in my garage from when I moved in with my wife (no sense in unpacking them if they don't fit). I refuse to buy a wardrobe full of bigger clothes, so I cram into things that don't fit properly, or buy random pieces here and there when needed (jeans for work, dress shirts/slacks for occasions).

I just need to quit eating like an idiot. My bad back and bad knees limit my ability to workout in any truly meaningful way. I love running, but at my current weight, it is just painful. when I get back down to something respectable again, I'll probably start running again as well. At one point I was running 6-7 miles/day 5 days a week. While it was very relaxing and therapeutic, I think if I could get back to 3-4 miles 3-4 days a week, I'd be good. And by running, I mean a mid-sow paced jog. I run at about 10-10.5 min/mile pace. I have no desire to run any faster than that, and anything slower I might as well be powerwalking.

For me though, diet is key. I went from 280 to 215 over a 4 month period by doing absolutely nothing more than just changing quantity and quality of intake. Kept it off for a few years till I started seeing my current wife. My back was destroyed and I couldn't even stand up straight, let alone do any kind of exercise. since then, I've gotten divorced, and remarried, and put most of that weight back on. We eat out a lot, which is never good. And we both love food & beer, which is equally not as good, lol. We've both gained weight since we started seeing each other, and have been talking about fixing it recently. I've lost 15 lbs in the last 5-6 weeks. Lost 10 or so the first 2, gained all of it back over the next 2, and lost it again this last 2. If I can just get consistent, I'll be ok.

When I initially lost all of that weight a few years ago, I had to buy a whole new wardrobe, and I donated all of my clothes that no longer fit. I literally took 10 or so trash bags stuffed full of clothes to the goodwill. Now, I have the clothes I bought after I lost the weight, and most of them don't fit. They are still packed in a couple of boxes in my garage from when I moved in with my wife (no sense in unpacking them if they don't fit). I refuse to buy a wardrobe full of bigger clothes, so I cram into things that don't fit properly, or buy random pieces here and there when needed (jeans for work, dress shirts/slacks for occasions).

a few excellent points here.

I love to work out but I don't lose weight or look diferent working out - it's 100% diet.

I also love to run but it's tough at this size as well.....

Need to put the fork down in the new years. We go out to eat a ton as well but in new years going to limit it to Saturday only.

PXG 0311 P Gen 6 4-G

SM10 56S 60M

Bettinardi Queen B 6

Eating is such a weird thing.....because it's really a give and take between exercise and food. And the more you do of one the more you can do of the other

When i was 225lbs i couldn't run much, like bigred90gt says, it hurts your knees , it hurts your feet. There were days where i couldn't walk after running a 5K.....I got more injured at that weight running half as much than i do now. At 170lbs i ran 3700km in 2016 and then 3000km+ in 2017 and did not have a single injury. (knock on wood)

But when you are running 3000+ KM, you can honestly eat whatever the F you want. On a typical Saturday in the summer i play golf and carry my bag, then get home and run a 10K. I mean on those days i'll stop at Starbucks and get a bacon/egg breakfast sandwich, eat something after my round, then eat a 2000 calorie plate of guinness beef nachos for dinner and LOSE weight that day

I honestly feel less deprived of food now then i did when i was 225lbs. It's funny how that works. Losing weight is HARD. Maintaining is easier

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Start walking.

Just walk. 30 minutes 2 then a few times a week. Then 40, then an hour.

I am doing some pretty intense cardio and weightlifting for a few years now.

But it all starts somewhere, just a commitment to yourself. I still do an hour walk on sat and sun with wife and its my favorite.

And if you work out, youll eat better. Not to mention it clears your head/relaxes you.

Eating is such a weird thing.....because it's really a give and take between exercise and food. And the more you do of one the more you can do of the other

When i was 225lbs i couldn't run much, like bigred90gt says, it hurts your knees , it hurts your feet. There were days where i couldn't walk after running a 5K.....I got more injured at that weight running half as much than i do now. At 170lbs i ran 3700km in 2016 and then 3000km+ in 2017 and did not have a single injury. (knock on wood)

But when you are running 3000+ KM, you can honestly eat whatever the F you want. On a typical Saturday in the summer i play golf and carry my bag, then get home and run a 10K. I mean on those days i'll stop at Starbucks and get a bacon/egg breakfast sandwich, eat something after my round, then eat a 2000 calorie plate of guinness beef nachos for dinner and LOSE weight that day

I honestly feel less deprived of food now then i did when i was 225lbs. It's funny how that works. Losing weight is HARD. Maintaining is easier

Just wait Jeff. There is an old adage that becomes more and more apt as I get older. "You can't out excercise a bad diet". I'm finding it to be so true. I've always been a big eater. Entire pizza in single setting, two double cheeseburgers plus all the extras, etc, etc. My 30 year old son talks about the family metabolism, he can eat anything (and everything), never gains much. It ended around age 50. Dad just turned 77, he's an eating machine. But he's really heavy now. I'm trying to not,have that happen to me.

Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones who it continues for. I thought it would for me. I was wrong.

Just got back into the gym after a few months layoff, I've got a golf specific workout somewhere which I must pull out...

One thing I really want to focus on though is flexibility, I'm definitely not as flexible as I should be, so that's really the goal of 2018.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

The difference for me is, where you hurt at 225 and are ok at 170, I hurt at 270 and am good at 220. The lowest I have been since my freshman year in high school (went in at 6'2" 180, graduated at 265) was in 2014 when I got down to 215. I hovered between 215 ad 220 for 2 years, then started seeing my now wife and things just went south (or north, lol) from there. At 220, everything hurt less. If I ever got to 170, it would be because I was terminally ill. 170 on me would be uncomfortable and look horrible. Even at 220, I needed a belt to keep my 36" waist pants from falling down. 34 was a bit too tight.

Eat better, move more. Sounds simple but it's tough. I gained weight this year via more stress, more bad eating, and less movement. At 39 I feel like this is my chance to get ahead of it before problems start. Goal is 25 lbs in next 13 weeks, then repeat 2 more times. It's a bit ambitious but I think it's doable. Routines will be walking, then jogging and probably some rowing for cardio and a mix on the weights, likely starting with a linear program to go as far as I can before I start failing due to lower calorie intake. Then I'll find something else. Biggest downside is I can't squat due to some nerve issue that causes a massive exertion headache that can take me out of working out for a few weeks.

Just got back into the gym after a few months layoff, I've got a golf specific workout somewhere which I must pull out...

One thing I really want to focus on though is flexibility, I'm definitely not as flexible as I should be, so that's really the goal of 2018.

post it please

PXG 0311 P Gen 6 4-G

SM10 56S 60M

Bettinardi Queen B 6

Just wait Jeff. There is an old adage that becomes more and more apt as I get older. "You can't out excercise a bad diet". I'm finding it to be so true. I've always been a big eater. Entire pizza in single setting, two double cheeseburgers plus all the extras, etc, etc. My 30 year old son talks about the family metabolism, he can eat anything (and everything), never gains much. It ended around age 50. Dad just turned 77, he's an eating machine. But he's really heavy now. I'm trying to not,have that happen to me.

Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones who it continues for. I thought it would for me. I was wrong.

I will pile on here. I ate total crap for years. Graduated from college at 6’2” 155#. Played college soccer so I ran a crap-ton, but still couldn’t gain weight.

Eating the same at 45, weighed 175.

At 49?

212!!!!

Tough to stay active as you get older, metabolism slows, and bang, stuff gets tight.

I now do about 15 min of cardio (can’t do more or my leg goes numb) and lift. At 50 I am at 192. Really have to watch what I eat though.

Edit: I did drop to 182 right before the last surgery. I guess pain and the inability to poop limits eating. I lost about 15# in the run up to the surgery.