2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

In hand photos of the Ping i500 irons (MERGED)

bunta

The guys hanging out last night said the same thing while I was hitting. I tried to make it clear, that just because I'm able to put a full swing on them and it goes that far, I can also slow it down for more control and hit them 185 like my gamers.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a side note, the yardages you quoted are pretty much what you see on tour, so if the yardages work for them, why not me?

Oh no, don't get me wrong ...we see it all the time.....gw from 140....I'm a little jelly that's all!

Sidebar, I hit a handful of shots with i500 and for some reason it felt much better than the initial attempt.....think i210 is still for me but will take a bit more time in making the decision.

Trust me, I'm nobody to be jealous of. One downfall of long drives, is mishits go a long ways the wrong direction. My last round, I lost 6 balls, made a 10 on a par 5, made 3 birdies and 6 pars.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Scotty Newport Select

Michael Newton Golf

The Ping i500

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Quick thought.....maybe addressed but I've noticed most of the reviews in which both i500 and i210 PW were hit, they're going roughly the same distance, trajectory and spin....so is the i500 advantage primarily in the long irons with higher launch despite the stronger lofts?

Asking for a friend

Remember that high Cor trampoline effects are generally only good up to certain lofts due to more glancing blows with the higher lofts. I believe Tom Wishon speaks to this in his thread regarding his single length clubs. I think he stopped the high Cor design at the 7 iron.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Quick thought.....maybe addressed but I've noticed most of the reviews in which both i500 and i210 PW were hit, they're going roughly the same distance, trajectory and spin....so is the i500 advantage primarily in the long irons with higher launch despite the stronger lofts?

Asking for a friend

Remember that high Cor trampoline effects are generally only good up to certain lofts due to more glancing blows with the higher lofts. I believe Tom Wishon speaks to this in his thread regarding his single length clubs. I think he stopped the high Cor design at the 7 iron.

Old age..... I forget these finite details.....thanks!

I'm pretty interested in hearing how the i500's are for the average swing speed players out there.

My 7i SS on GC2 tops out at 80mph. KBS Tour S was the best shaft for me. The i500 was 3-4 yds longer than the i210 with a lot less spin. Both had excellent dispersion but the i210 felt much better. I want to try both on grass but if I had to buy today, I would go i210 based on its exceptional feel and all other aspects being equal or very close..

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Can someone explain to me how a cast-iron is softer than a forged iron? I could understand if you were comparing an old club with a new club but two clubs released on the same exact day what was the point of even making the i500 forged if you could have made it cast it would have been softer and cost less to make?

Biggest myth in golf.

The coveted feel attributed to a forged muscle back blade is mostly due to the fact that it's a true MB blade, not because it's forged. In blades there is significant mass (metal) directly behind the sweetspot. That feels awesome on perfectly struck shots, but mishits really sting your hands and feel awful (feedback). In cavity back designs, that mass is removed and spread around the perimeter for forgiveness on mishits. Forged cavity backs feel no better than their cast counterparts as they too have had that mass removed.

Ping (and other OEMs including Mizuno) know this that's why they add light weight, vibration absorbing elastomer and other multi-material badges and inserts behind the sweetspot in their cavity backs. These designs enhance feel yet retain the benefit of a perimeter weighted/cavity design.

The i500, with its hollow construction, is essentially a cavity backed iron with a thin and presumably "springy" face, but lacks the elastomer that Ping has been perfecting in their 200 line. Some folks like that thin-faced powerful feel. Callaway made a maraging steel thin faced iron that was very popular for a while and had a unique feel (Diablo Tour I think).

Relative to forged being inherently softer than cast, why do forged blades sting your hands and rattle the fillings out of your teeth when mishit? If the soft forged metal was the reason for the feel we all covet, they should still feel softer and less harsh on mishits than cast/cavity designs, but in fact the opposite is true.

YYYEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!

I'm pretty interested in hearing how the i500's are for the average swing speed players out there.

My 7i SS on GC2 tops out at 80mph. KBS Tour S was the best shaft for me. The i500 was 3-4 yds longer than the i210 with a lot less spin. Both had excellent dispersion but the i210 felt much better. I want to try both on grass but if I had to buy today, I would go i210 based on its exceptional feel and all other aspects being equal or very close..

Thanks for the info! I will be hitting them hopefully friday when I'm "sick" and not at work. Very curious to see if I see something similar.

I am concerned about proper gapping with the i500s. My 7i carry distance is 155-160, if that jumps up to 175 that could create some odd yardage gaps in my wedges. Is this a situation where i210 would make more sense?

Titleist TSR3 9.4* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 5S

Ping G425 14.5* Autoflex 505x

Sub70 949X 21* HZRDUS Smoke RDX Red 

Mizuno Pro 225 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx

Vokey SM7 56/11

Vokey SM8 M Grind 60/08

L.A.B. Mezz1

Birdie wrap blue - logo only - jpeg - small-100.jpg

I have hit them in my street shoes off matts and figure the 500s are going to be about a club longer than my current set up --which they should be because they're 2.5 degrees stronger lofted. I love the clubs but am seriously considering going with the retro-spec. I've also reached back to Ping and asked for their suggestions on how to build a 500/210 combo set. Ping got back to me with a "see your fitter" response... which did not make me happy and I let them know it. Any ideas out there about retro or combos would be appreciated.... thanks

I would be concerned with retrospec, just because now high they go with standard spec. Couple degrees weaker could lead to no control in wind.

I think the proper loft spec would depend more on your dynamic loft at impact than anything else. If you're an early release golfer with high dynamic loft the standard spec would probably work well, but if you're a lag machine then retro spec might be better suited. All things you can determine on trackman at a proper fitting.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I have a gcquad, I understand all of that. But we are talking about a iron that is designed to go high with strong lofts. With my mp18 blade 7 iron at 34* loft I know I at delivery I'm at 27* loft and hit it 120ish feet high. I was getting about 125 feet high with i500 standard lofts which is 3.5* stronger. So if I was to weaken by 2*, it could be too high.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Scotty Newport Select

I have a gcquad, I understand all of that. But we are talking about a iron that is designed to go high with strong lofts. With my mp18 blade 7 iron at 34* loft I know I at delivery I'm at 27* loft and hit it 120ish feet high. I was getting about 125 feet high with i500 standard lofts which is 3.5* stronger. So if I was to weaken by 2*, it could be too high.

But us "regular guys" might need more loft to create launch and spin that you enjoy,no?

I'm just talking about myself, I realize this is a case by case basis. Regardless of swing speed, they are designed to go around true 7 iron etc peak heights or higher with the standard lofts.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Scotty Newport Select

I have hit them in my street shoes off matts and figure the 500s are going to be about a club longer than my current set up --which they should be because they're 2.5 degrees stronger lofted. I love the clubs but am seriously considering going with the retro-spec. I've also reached back to Ping and asked for their suggestions on how to build a 500/210 combo set. Ping got back to me with a "see your fitter" response... which did not make me happy and I let them know it. Any ideas out there about retro or combos would be appreciated.... thanks

Not really sure what other answer you could expect out of Ping. They are not going to blindly recommend a iron setup over the phone. I can't think of anyone who would unless they just don't care.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Sounds reasonable to me. What did you expect them to say?

In his defense, when TM released the 790's, they also release loft charts to blend into their other sets.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Scotty Newport Select

In his defense, when TM released the 790's, they also release loft charts to blend into their other sets.

But just going on lofts is a simplistic way to do it. In fact, it that was all there was to it, Ping's got their loft charts too.

It's how the clubs launch combined with how the player hits them and getting the right gapping from it.

I don't know if Ping has these loaded into their nFlight system and if it would recommend a combo set, but that's where I'd expect their system to make this determination. Which again requires a trip to either a fitter or to Ping.

Did TaylorMade offer multiple loft charts for the various shafts they offer? Personaly I think Ping's response was appropriate considering they didn't have any meaningful information to work with.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

Went back to same store today and hit the i210. Funny. Same ballspeed, same distance (205 7 iron) and same spin rates for me as the i500. So that being said, if they are going to be the same, I'd rather go i500 for looks and offset.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Scotty Newport Select

Went back to same store today and hit the i210. Funny. Same ballspeed, same distance (205 7 iron) and same spin rates for me as the i500. So that being said, if they are going to be the same, I'd rather go i500 for looks and offset.

Feel?

soooo subjective, but for me, They both felt soft, i210 slightly more solid, but i500 felt softer, probably due to being able to flex the face. Almost like the difference between a TM driver and a Callaway driver. Tm a bit firmer, but solid, Callaway a bit softer and feels like butter.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Scotty Newport Select