2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

In hand photos of the Ping i500 irons (MERGED)

bunta

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the gapping issue, but is there also concern that the distances are inconsistent...as in, on any given hit, your distance could be plus or minus 10-15 yards?

Kinda why I've frown upon the distance players irons group altogether.... cf16, p790 etc, etc..... maybe at the top of bag 3-4 iron but "too hot" is what I get from these springy face clubs.... i210 for me!

I understand the gapping issue, but is there also concern that the distances are inconsistent...as in, on any given hit, your distance could be plus or minus 10-15 yards?

Kinda why I've frown upon the distance players irons group altogether.... cf16, p790 etc, etc..... maybe at the top of bag 3-4 iron but "too hot" is what I get from these springy face clubs.... i210 for me!

I HATE inconsistent distances. I never want the hot one that just goes forever. I hit well over 200 balls with the i500, never did I once see that hot flyer. There was another kid in the same shop I was talking to, plays college golf and he is pretty good. He took the demo iron to the golf course and hit 30 balls from the fairway/rough into a green. Never saw a hot ball, and didn't have any issue stopping the ball. He came back to the store the last day I was there, he ordered them that day.

Out of all the balls I hit, it was the same situation. Good shots to slight misses 3-4 yards, good shots to total misses 6-10 yards. All of my good shots carried with in 3-4 yards of each other.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

I can't wrap my head around the thought of a company ( Ping or anybody else) releasing a set of irons that have massive gap differences throughout the set. With the amount of testing these things go through I find it much easier to believe that we as golfers don't strike the ball as consistent as we think we do.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I can't wrap my head around the thought of a company ( Ping or anybody else) releasing a set of irons that have massive gap differences throughout the set. With the amount of testing these things go through I find it much easier to believe that we as golfers don't strike the ball as consistent as we think we do.

I listened to the interview with Marty Jertson.. he addressed the that the short irons are not quite as hot, to help with any gapping issues.. I'm with you. They're not gonna make a pw go 150 and gap wedge 120! They are engineers, remember!

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

Hit these today. First, they are probably the best my looking iron I've seen. I love them. Feel was fine, soft with a little pop. But the i had a few 7 iron shots that went 192, and thats too much.

I wonder if the retro lofts will make the distances more normal? If so, I'm probably getting these.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

Sold. 6 I flying 4 I length. Plus 15 hope it gaps that way. 3-PW. Will need another wedge. Which is only three for me, so whatever. Hit every shot well, even the mishits. Big high baby draw. Hard to fade actually. We'll see what grass does to them after I hit em all on trackman to get numbers.

Felt great, not much different from my S55 with same shaft, it just felt like you smoked it when you hit though. Could almost feel the spring. Center struck "walk away" hit, like you know you hammered it and it's straight. Lost about 300 rpm on avg. Higher peak, lower launch, ball speed Up 5MPH on avg, swing speed almost identical, I'm a 87 mph 6iron. So not wrx worthy.

We're gonna need a bigger boat....

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

How do these compare to the iblades or s-55's in regards to their overall size? Are they larger like the i200's, or more compact???

I500 a tick longer heel to toe than S55 but about the same size. Really hope it's that way through the set.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

I can't believe my local shop had a left handed demo head in stock. Hit a handful of shots cold without any warmup with a KBS 120. Distance with the 7 iron on the good ones was about 159 carry. Spin was around 6500. These look so sweet! I wish they were just a little bit chunkier but they didn't seem too too small. Feel was a little clicky but i think ping definitely has a winner with these.

I mean this respectfully because I know sometimes things come across or are interpreted differently on here. BUT if you want chunky go get the 700 of something in that bracket bc i suspect you will get similar numbers performance wise with a bit more of that forgiving look you desire.

These weren't meant to fit the eye of the golfer seeking a chunky bulbous club. For once someone designed a club that had the concept of SGI for a slightly better play or just someone who doesn't want to look at a shovel. Thin top line + minimal offset with big distance gains is not something we have seen much before this year's releases really, and Ping to me has done it better than anyone so far.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

so i just got fitted into the i500's and ordered. I actually was getting better spin numbers than i expected considering the reviews and that i'm generally a low spin player. I tried out 4 shafts, Project X LZ, DG 105, AWT 2.0, & TT 95, and ultimately went with the DG 105, which is a first for me. Was getting 6700 rpm and most accurate by far (actually got a HIO on the trackman which sealed the deal lol. Anyway, I have had 2 previous irons in the last year, p790s and i200's, and they weren't quite as long as my p790's, but they had about 1K more spin, and they're a good bit longer than my i200's

Without reading through 20 pages...

Has anyone hit these in the retro spec lofts? After watching Rick Shiels review, it would appear that the retro lofts would be closer to what I currently play. However, it looked like his launch was way up. The retro lofts would launch the ball even higher.

No matter how sweet these things look, I'm afraid that I would have a very hard time getting the gaps manageable. I suppose these are designed to be a distance iron st the end of the day no matter how blade like they look, that's what they'll be in the end.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

How do these compare to the iblades or s-55's in regards to their overall size? Are they larger like the i200's, or more compact???

I500 a tick longer heel to toe than S55 but about the same size. Really hope it's that way through the set.

They are almost identical in size to the i210 or i200. Top line looks thicker on i500 to me. I had all three on the range again today my s55 a demo i210 and i500. Tried new shafts in both. i210 very nice soft feel very forgiving. I500 louder noise not impressed still. Will be ordering i210 4-6 to combo my s55.

If this has already been brought up / proposed my apologies ... but what about this:

Using the i210 4-W standard loft, and blending in the i500 3 and 4 power spec but using them more as a 2 and 3 iron?

I went i500 3i into i210 4-9. Only 4.5 degrees of loft between the 3 & 4 which for me isn’t a huge deal at the long end of the set. I considered going 1* weak for a 19* 3i but I already believe the gap from 3w to 3i will be larger than the gap from 3i to 4i. I also had my 6-9 irons digitally lofted to 30, 34, 38, and 42 so they gap to my 46* wedge better.

The feedback on feel for the i500 has been surprising. I thought the i210 felt softer but the i500 was not clicky or tingy at all. It was soft and solid, just more explosive.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

I went and tried the i500 vs i210 vs my i200. The i210 and i200 were identical. I500 had great distance and looked the best. It after hitting the other two I couldn’t give up the feel. Also i500 spin 5200 vs 6800-7000 from the i200/210. To be honest the distance wasn’t worth it especially when it means dropping $1300 or stick with what I have.

Has anyone hit these in the retro spec lofts? After watching Rick Shiels review, it would appear that the retro lofts would be closer to what I currently play. However, it looked like his launch was way up. The retro lofts would launch the ball even higher.

No matter how sweet these things look, I'm afraid that I would have a very hard time getting the gaps manageable. I suppose these are designed to be a distance iron st the end of the day no matter how blade like they look, that's what they'll be in the end.

Ping has said making these in retro lofts is hard to do and isn't something they are actively going to promote. My ping fitter said there isn't even any demo heads currently made with retro lofts. So yes it's an option but something Ping doesnt really want to do.

They have also had about 4 years of R&D in these and wouldn't have released them if they even thought gapping was going to be problem.

Ping has said making these in retro lofts is hard to do and isn't something they are actively going to promote. My ping fitter said there isn't even any demo heads currently made with retro lofts. So yes it's an option but something Ping doesnt really want to do.

They have also had about 4 years of R&D in these and wouldn't have released them if they even thought gapping was going to be problem.

If fairness they have also never had a Power Spec demo head either.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Not hard to do at all. I totally agree that the R&D is well thought out/ the lofts are intentional (to fit the majority of golfers). Retro spec is the exact same build process as regular heads (and power spec for that matter). Ping will have ZERO issue building retro, regular or power spec irons. (and they don't mind building them at all). The only difference is the computer is set to a more lofted spec and the builder pounds the head to a different spec. All heads go through this process for quality control, even regular spec heads.

Skip to 1:45 in the video.

Not hard to do at all. I totally agree that the R&D is well thought out/ the lofts are intentional (to fit the majority of golfers). Retro spec is the exact same build process as regular heads (and power spec for that matter). Ping will have ZERO issue building retro, regular or power spec irons. (and they don't mind building them at all). The only difference is the computer is set to a more lofted spec and the builder pounds the head to a different spec. All heads go through this process for quality control, even regular spec heads.

I'm quoting a top 20 ping fitter with direct links to Marty Jenson. Yes, Ping will do retro lofts but it isn't something they are going to actively promote simply because it's much harder to make these in retro specs.

I never said they wouldn't; just stating facts that it isn't something they want to actively do or promote. Take it for what it's worth.

I can't believe my local shop had a left handed demo head in stock. Hit a handful of shots cold without any warmup with a KBS 120. Distance with the 7 iron on the good ones was about 159 carry. Spin was around 6500. These look so sweet! I wish they were just a little bit chunkier but they didn't seem too too small. Feel was a little clicky but i think ping definitely has a winner with these.

You are 60-70 yards shorter than every other guy who has demoed the 7 iron on here. What's wrong with you?

jk

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

You are 60-70 yards shorter than every other guy who has demoed the 7 iron on here. What's wrong with you?

jk

I heard dat. I was hitting 270 yard flop shots with the 7 iron.

I'm quoting a top 20 ping fitter with direct links to Marty Jenson. Yes, Ping will do retro lofts but it isn't something they are going to actively promote simply because it's much harder to make these in retro specs.

I never said they wouldn't; just stating facts that it isn't something they want to actively do or promote. Take it for what it's worth.

I didn't mean any animosity by my post, just wanted to make things clear. Nothing against you at all & I don't think you were wrong. I just think that many on here got the idea that you had to "know a guy" in order to get the retro spec or power spec i500's & that is just not the case at all.

I actually agree with you that retro specs will not be needed for the i500 for anyone. Power specs are much more likely to be utilized. I have already fit 4 people using Trackman for the i500 and it has been unanimous that the club is peaking higher than their previous clubs & the i210.

Well it’s only been since Friday afternoon since I placed my order but I already am tired of waiting!!!!! Ready to get these clubs and get them dialed in.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

I didn't mean any animosity by my post, just wanted to make things clear. Nothing against you at all & I don't think you were wrong. I just think that many on here got the idea that you had to "know a guy" in order to get the retro spec or power spec i500's & that is just not the case at all.

I actually agree with you that retro specs will not be needed for the i500 for anyone. Power specs are much more likely to be utilized. I have already fit 4 people using Trackman for the i500 and it has been unanimous that the club is peaking higher than their previous clubs & the i210.

No offense taken here my friend. Retro in these will actually be unplayable in my eyes because the height will be to the moon. Anyone who thinks differently likely hasn't hit them.

I also dont understand peoples thinking that these and clubs alike wont hold greens. A high peak height with steep decent angle is proven to actually hold greens much more effectively than slightly lower launch with higher spin.

There is a reason musclebacks and true blades with standard true lofts of 34-36 on 7 irons are more rare on tour now. Its especially comical in amateurs who say they play those for playability but cant tell you the basics of how to hit a draw or fade.