2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

In hand photos of the Ping i500 irons (MERGED)

bunta

I'm wondering if an i500 4 iron would out perform my i25 22* hybrid...

i25 is 39.75" and 22*

i500 4i is 38 7/8" and 21* in standard spec

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went back to same store today and hit the i210. Funny. Same ballspeed, same distance (205 7 iron) and same spin rates for me as the i500. So that being said, if they are going to be the same, I'd rather go i500 for looks and offset.

Brought in my Nike vapor pro combo 7 which is a similar concept with the high speed face. I500 maybe 5 yards longer but my miss was way more manageable. Nike likes to hook off the map with me when I get quick. I’ll take the extra forgiveness even tho the Nike felt better.

Hit the i500 on range today. Im a 1 capp so i find the middle often and was very let down by the feel of these.... felt like a hollow iron and sound was like the g700. Sort of a loud crack. Flight was high and long as promised but they really just felt bad too me. Im also not one of those guys who thinks mizunos are superior and cast irons are rocks. I play s55 and find them much better feeling. Will be trying the i210 next as i think they will have the feel i want and i dont require the distance or want the price tag of the i500.

Plus he was hitting off a mat.

Atx there was a video recently done by txg channel that says that the mat vs grass does not matter. I still think it does but it was an interesting video.

Yep, it was well done but I refuse to believe that hitting off a mat without allowing playing elements to factor into the evaluation process is the best measure of a club. I also understand not everyone has access to demo clubs on the course.

In that video TXG also stated they put in a lot of research to find the best/most realistic surface. PGATSS and the like probably look more at cost and durability than the playing characteristics of the mats.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

I was into them until I saw the cartoony number stamping on the sole and the notch on the toe with whatever they shoved in there.

Classic WRX. The ol' I loved these golf clubs until I saw the font on the bottom. No sale.

;) haha! its like there is a conference room packed with wrx posters & future posters. all getting their morning rah rah's and inspiration from DiCaprio in Wolf of Wall Street.

"if they're selling tour-stiff, you tell em you hit tour x-stiff plus! new & mint set of baby blades pinned within the hour? you let the OP know, 'if only I seen these two days ago' because yesterday you just hit the ultimate thrift store jackpot and stumbled on a set of vintage blades with faces half the size of theirs."

LOL. or something to that affect. then the sarcastic WRX post (mine in this case), has too much fun off topic and possibly jacks the thread. smh.

apologies, because same. ;) carry on.

Hit the i500 on range today. Im a 1 capp so i find the middle often and was very let down by the feel of these.... felt like a hollow iron and sound was like the g700. Sort of a loud crack. Flight was high and long as promised but they really just felt bad too me. Im also not one of those guys who thinks mizunos are superior and cast irons are rocks. I play s55 and find them much better feeling. Will be trying the i210 next as i think they will have the feel i want and i dont require the distance or want the price tag of the i500.

With your cap and ability to consistantely hit the sweet spot I really don't think that these clubs are designed for you. Also, range balls are not the best indicators for sound and feel. But I assume that a person with your handicap already knew this. :swoon:

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

With your cap and ability to consistantely hit the sweet spot I really don't think that these clubs are designed for you. Also, range balls are not the best indicators for sound and feel. But I assume that a person with your handicap already knew this. :swoon:

Handicap isn't the issue, hitting the middle of the face is only part of the equation. I'm telling you, you need speed to get the feel out of these.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

had the opportunity to demo these the other day

as a few have stated already, feel is 100% subjective

my personal opinion is they feel "clicky" and not forged at all

they don't feel bad, just not the feel Im looking for (and I demo'd w TP5X balls as well)

they also go way to far for me

awesome looking iron (minus the number stamping on the sole), neat idea, but not an iron I would consider (and Ima PING guy)

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Has anyone tried these with graphite? Just wondering if that takes some of the "clicky" feel/sound out of them.

Oh....and I already ordered a set with Recoil SmacWraps...... :smilie_ping:

PXG Black Ops Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

I want to place an order today but can't decide on lofts. Im leaning toward retro spec including the U wedge, but was concerned about bounce. Called Ping - retro and power are made from the same case as standard and then bent. The guy on the phone told me that Ping bends the clubs on a "digital table" compared to hand bent in a mitchell machine like would be done at a local shop. The guy said that Ping can adjust loft with minimum affect on bounce. Does this make any sense? Seems it would be a 1:1 relationship.

G430 Max 9* - Hzrdus Blue PVD 
Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

U505 2i - Hzrdus Black rdx

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

I want to place an order today but can't decide on lofts. Im leaning toward retro spec including the U wedge, but was concerned about bounce. Called Ping - retro and power are made from the same case as standard and then bent. The guy on the phone told me that Ping bends the clubs on a "digital table" compared to hand bent in a mitchell machine like would be done at a local shop. The guy said that Ping can adjust loft with minimum affect on bounce. Does this make any sense? Seems it would be a 1:1 relationship.

That's my understanding too....1:1

I hit both the 500 and 210 yesterday and I wouldn't say I could differentiate the feel all that much. 210 was softer, but I wouldn't classify the 500 as hard by any stretch. The sound is going to be different because it's hollow as compared to the solid head with elastomer behind it. Loved both. Not sure which I would go with if choosing. 210 seemed really easy to hit, but went pretty high. 500 were a little lower and just as easy, plus they are gorgeous. IDK.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

first thing, I'm pretty sure PING took the time to R&D these irons to work competently right out of the box. only on WRX and with a new product release does the grousing immediately start about how "lofts" are gonna have to be bent all over the place before any individual could possibly play an iron. second thing, I'll introduce my steadfast rule as a player and a fitter: measure twice, cut once. meaning: first, go play your new irons for a while. field testing is the only practical way to know what they are doing favorably, or unfavorably for your game before you make any adjustments (and that could mean more adjustments to both lie and maybe loft). and, you may ultimately find it's only certain clubs out of the set that are a bother, so you've eliminated the mistake of altering the entire set for no apparent reason. this is how I arrive at final specs on every set of irons that I've used, go play them, then I wang on them till they do what I want. so in conclusion I believe you should order your PING at your desired color code, and then go grip it and rip it.

edit: but as always stated on WRX.... YMMV.

Handicap isn't the issue, hitting the middle of the face is only part of the equation. I'm telling you, you need speed to get the feel out of these.

Hitting side by side with many other iron with same range balls at my home course easy to tell feel. As far as speed is concerned i carry 34 degree 7 iron 172 so i dont think its a speed issue. I will try with a different shaft First see if that helps. Im a huuuge ping guy so i really want to like them but they just didnt impress me in the feel department. Results will vary for everyone.

Hit these against my P790's, from a feel perspective there's no comparison, the P790's win on that with ease. The fact they have forged on the club to justify the added $$$ is insane. I thought the X-forged felt hard and clicky, these feel even worse with a "ting" sound added to it. As far as performance, they are similar with my swing. YMMV.

I'm wondering if an i500 4 iron would out perform my i25 22* hybrid...

i25 is 39.75" and 22*

i500 4i is 38 7/8" and 21* in standard spec

With an almost one inch longer shaft and a more rearward cg the hybrid should launch noticeably higher and be more forgiving. But if you are a good ball striker and are looking for a lower launch than the i500 4 iron might be what you are looking for.

Hitting side by side with many other iron with same range balls at my home course easy to tell feel. As far as speed is concerned i carry 34 degree 7 iron 172 so i dont think its a speed issue. I will try with a different shaft First see if that helps. Im a huuuge ping guy so i really want to like them but they just didnt impress me in the feel department. Results will vary for everyone.

What shaft were you using? For me there was a huge difference between the DG 105 and DG120 and PX LZ 6 the The DG 120 and LZ 6 gave the club a much better and solid feel. I ordered a set with the PX LZ 6. For me the deciding factor came down to the looks of the i500. I might give the i210 a slight edge in feel but it is close. The i500 are just new and sexy. I guess I am shallow.

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

These things use a c300 maraging steel face. Debates over whether it feels “forged” or not leave out that the type of steel here is very different than the other forged irons people are used to, 1025 etc. The type of steel alone (plus the flexing face) is gonna make a big difference in feel. Not saying one is better than the other, just different.

first thing, I'm pretty sure PING took the time to R&D these irons to work competently right out of the box. only on WRX and with a new product release does the grousing immediately start about how "lofts" are gonna have to be bent all over the place before any individual could possibly play an iron. second thing, I'll introduce my steadfast rule as a player and a fitter: measure twice, cut once. meaning: first, go play your new irons for a while. field testing is the only practical way to know what they are doing favorably, or unfavorably for your game before you make any adjustments (and that could mean more adjustments to both lie and maybe loft). and, you may ultimately find it's only certain clubs out of the set that are a bother, so you've eliminated the mistake of altering the entire set for no apparent reason. this is how I arrive at final specs on every set of irons that I've used, go play them, then I wang on them till they do what I want. so in conclusion I believe you should order your PING at your desired color code, and then go grip it and rip it.

edit: but as always stated on WRX.... YMMV.

Fitter agreed with you - went with standard lofts. Thanks for the help!!

Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

Has anyone tried these with graphite? Just wondering if that takes some of the "clicky" feel/sound out of them.

Oh....and I already ordered a set with Recoil SmacWraps...... :smilie_ping:

I have been hitting the 7 iron with the Recoil and really like it. Played a recoil prototype shaft in a set of AP2's for a couple of years and loved them. Currently playing AeroTech in a set of PXG's for the past 3 years. Unfortunately, my home course does not have the AeroTech's in the fitting cart.

What shaft were you using? For me there was a huge difference between the DG 105 and DG120 and PX LZ 6 the The DG 120 and LZ 6 gave the club a much better and solid feel. I ordered a set with the PX LZ 6. For me the deciding factor came down to the looks of the i500. I might give the i210 a slight edge in feel but it is close. The i500 are just new and sexy. I guess I am shallow.

Completely agree on feel being very much shaft dependent. Tried a bunch of options. Came down to LZ 6.0 and KBS tour - like you, I went with the LZ. i500 5-U and G700 4iron. Santa is on the way!!!

Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

I would love to hear some feedback regarding something other than a 7 iron. I too am getting distance increases with the 7 iron over my current set (original PXG's - about 1/2 a club longer). Long irons and short irons could have very different characteristics. Some are saying the gap between the 7 iron and the PW is 50+ yards - that's one big gap. Does the height and length benefits continue to a 3 or 4 iron? Is there any way to promote a fade or draw bias (ie, change the screw weight?).

I can't seem to find any place that has anything other than the 7 iron. Anyone test the full set?

I would love to hear some feedback regarding something other than a 7 iron. I too am getting distance increases with the 7 iron over my current set (original PXG's - about 1/2 a club longer). Long irons and short irons could have very different characteristics. Some are saying the gap between the 7 iron and the PW is 50+ yards - that's one big gap. Does the height and length benefits continue to a 3 or 4 iron? Is there any way to promote a fade or draw bias (ie, change the screw weight?).

I can't seem to find any place that has anything other than the 7 iron. Anyone test the full set?

I'd also like to know if it's possible to swing weight these irons to something heavier. I hit the 7 iron and D1 just feels too light.

Hit these against my P790's, from a feel perspective there's no comparison, the P790's win on that with ease. The fact they have forged on the club to justify the added $$$ is insane. I thought the X-forged felt hard and clicky, these feel even worse with a "ting" sound added to it. As far as performance, they are similar with my swing. YMMV.
Here is the comparison by Michael Newton Golf

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Here is the comparison by Michael Newton Golf

Pretty much what I felt except I didn't have as much of a distance difference, Ping was a tad longer but spin was a bit too low and I'm not sure I'd want to give that up for a few extra yards.