2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

So Koepka doesn't get enough love; but does Fowler get too much.

TigerTom

Saw a tweet yesterday with a Sunday red shirt next to a Sunday orange shirt asking which one it was going to be.

From what I have read Rickie Fowler seems to be a great guy. And he is probably the best marketeer on tour but we keep putting him on the list of notables and I really don't think he belongs there.

I get the feeling that the SB2K16 persona is great to sell Puma caps but won't be enough to endure the test of time. When the cameras turn off what remains are the Ws and on that score he is less than notable.

Then again Paige Spiranac is getting golf endorsements left and right for being pretty so maybe times have changed.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Fowler gets too much, there is not even an argument there but as you acknowledge, that is the modern world.

Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Depends on who you ask I guess.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I like Rickie. I'd like to see him win more than he does.

The networks, and it seems to me, especially Jim Nantz, drool over him, practically begging the gods to make him better than he evidently is.

In the meantime, the real diehard Rickie fans have to be satisfied with his "style".

I bet Puma are quite satisfied with his style...$$$

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Fowler's got 8 professional wins and he's been competitive in several majors. So there is some substance to go with the style.

There is definitely substance in his game. Not taking away from his winning the Players, Deutch Bank and a couple others. And he is currently ranked 9th OWGR. While that is no small feat it is also not notable or even memorable.

Media and networks drool over him as if he is still a rookie ready to blow up the golf scene when he has been around for a while and so far his greatest impact has been on golf attire.

And can’t say I love the duck bill cap or the bright orange – but that is neither here nor there.

Besides his length, what is there about Koepka that is marketable? There are at least 5 threads where there are posts saying that he and the current crop have little personally. Yet people can’t wait to start threads about Rickie, whether positive or negative, with overstated acoounts of announcers calling for him to win The Slam.

So there’s your answer

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Fowler's got 8 professional wins and he's been competitive in several majors. So there is some substance to go with the style.

the fact he went an entire season and was T-5 or better in every major shows there is substance.

he was hurt this week too -- we need to remember that.

personally IMO, his putting is good enough, his bunker/short game play is plenty good enough -- he just needs help off the tee and proximity to hole. Rickie seems to be more vulnerable to the 'gotta have some luck on my side' kinda streaks.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Koepka has definitely earned more love than he's gotten, but I think that'll change now. He's a great player and athlete, but not particularly charismatic or endearing at face value.

Fowler will remain a part of the discussion as long as he continues to contend in the majors, remains one of the top players in the world, and makes Ryder and Presidents Cup Teams... things that he has done more consistently than just about any other player who hasn't actually won a major yet, and even many who have broken through.

Rickie's unique style & flair obviously resonates with sponsors and consumers alike and earns him mega-bucks in endorsements. I think lots of folks including fellow pros are a bit jealous. He's got plenty of time to break through to win a major and I think he eventually will.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Ricky is a great player with numerous accomplishments. He seems to be in the mix on Sunday very frequently and if he keeps that up, eventually things will go his way and he will win one. The way he played when he won his Players Championship made me a believer. No one thought Sergio was going to win one either. That is he very marketable is just a plus for him.

It all goes back to Arnold Palmer. When Mark McCormak started to sell him on endorsements, it was on his like-ably, not on his ability to win. Mark knew his age as a champion had a limit, but his age was an endorser would always be with him.

Fast forward to today, and people using the same strategy. It's more about how you connect with fans than what you really do on the course. That's why Fowler probably has way more endorsement dollars and money that multiple major winners like Brooks or Martin Kaymer.

I don't know this for a fact, but I assume that LPGA players like Morgan Pressel and Paula Creamer get way more money for endorsements and appearances than Yani Tseng (at least in America), though the formers have less majors.

The MLB is having the same problem with Mike Trout, dude just wants to play baseball, but the MLB wants him to be Mr. Media.

The irony of a thread about Fowler not winning enough to be noteworthy, the day after the only thing anyone wanted to talk about was a guy finishing second

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Yes I think Rickie Fowler gets way too much love. If he is playing well by all means show alot of his round but when he is leaving putts 15 feet short I don't really want to see him play. I am not a Fowler fan though. I am sure he is a great guy and he is good for the tour. He just don't do it for me when I watch golf though.

Personality counts for so much in who people love. Koepka has little, Ricky has tons.

Brooks has 3 Majors, Rickie has none....

If only that was the sole measure of endorsements and likeability. But, alas, it isn't. Everybody knows this by now, right?

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

Yes I think Rickie Fowler gets way too much love. If he is playing well by all means show alot of his round but when he is leaving putts 15 feet short I don't really want to see him play. I am not a Fowler fan though. I am sure he is a great guy and he is good for the tour. He just don't do it for me when I watch golf though.

they hardly showed him yesterday when he was playing poorly.

Personality counts for so much in who people love. Koepka has little, Ricky has tons.

If only that was the sole measure of endorsements and likeability. But, alas, it isn't. Everybody knows this by now, right?

I find Brooks as likeable as Fowler in every aspect.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Agreed. I have no issue with Rickies endorsements and media exposure because he is so media friendly. I have an issue with him included in discussions of elite players because his resume is nowhere near DJ, Rory, Spieth, JT, and now Brooks. His career is trending like Kuch more than a big time winner.

Brooks' aloofness doesn't help his cause. By exactly like I just said about Fowler if Brooks wants the media exposure he needs to be a little more media friendly.

Well, sir my suggestion would be to start up a company and give that man an endorsement! Kidding aside, i know what you are saying but endorsement executives don't give a hoot about us. They want the people who are going to spend the most money, and that is the parents of kids who are fans of Rickie Fowler. Positive role models and likeable personalities are going to get it.

Even the exulted Tiger Woods with his GOAT-in-the-making-career got dropped by a few corporations some years ago.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

I believe you. But you're in a tiny sliver of the population that has the same opinion. I find Koepka to be as boring as they come. He's obviously a better golfer, but I don't get interested in watching him at all.

There is definitely substance in his game. Not taking away from his winning the Players, Deutch Bank and a couple others. And he is currently ranked 9th OWGR. While that is no small feat it is also not notable or even memorable.

Media and networks drool over him as if he is still a rookie ready to blow up the golf scene when he has been around for a while and so far his greatest impact has been on golf attire.

And can’t say I love the duck bill cap or the bright orange – but that is neither here nor there.

So, being the 9th best golfer (by ranking) on the entire planet, out of countless millions who play this game, isn’t noteable? lol, what’s your OWGR sitting at currently? 8 or better?