MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

This popped up on Friday, got excited...nope.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 3.35.17 PM.jpg

• Like 2

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

28 minutes ago, Ocgolfrick said:

When I signed up to play, my wife and I were debating it- I would be gone all day, I would need to stop and shop at Trader Joe's Annapolis as penance, the forecast the week of wasn't looking good.  Then my mother in law says:

"If you go over there in this pandemic, I'm not coming over to your house for 2 weeks guaranteed!"

Decision made.  You could have told me there would be 6" of snow on the course and I would have showed up.  

Regarding that Eagle1997 gets a field report from Tex that it took him 6 hours to play the day before and wants everyone to show up at least 45 minutes early.  So OCGolfRick is on the road before 6am and pulls into the parking lot to be greeted by nobody.  @dagoose383 is just as dumb as I am, and pulls in after me. In the ultimate dagger, Eagle1997 shows up at 9:40 am.  

I decide to go with 2h, 5iron, 7iron, 8iron, 54 deg, 58 deg and putter for my 7 clubs.  I had looked at the course on BlueGolf and felt like it was short enough to get away with that setup as I'm a way better player with irons than woods. I got the look of disdain from @eagle1997, but I would totally go with that setup again.  

We start after the MossyFerguson foursome, so I was able to start my day with a sweet pull hooked 5 iron with everyone watching. Knocked 8 iron into the trees left of the green, but had a nice chip to setup a 2 putt bogey that actually won the hole after a C.Free lost ball and @aiyyer 3 putt.  

We are 1 down going into 8 the short par 3, where C.Free and Aiyyer have wedges, my partner AltSean has a wedge, and my shortest club  is an 8 iron.  Choking up to the metal, I actually get it to land behind the green in front of their balls, and AltSean is able to get inside me just off the green.  He makes par and Aiyyer and C.Free bogey to square the match.

I stroke on #9 and no one else does. I hit a fantastic 2hy down drawing left leaving (I THINK) about 125 in.  AltSean helps out the team by cold topping one 30 yards.  Luckily C.Free does the same, so its pretty much me and Aiyyer. Aiyyer is away approx 150 and leaves it just short of the green.  I have 125 and...a 7 iron.  Choke down to the metal again, and pull off another beautiful...pull hook. Luckily I am just left of the green as well.  Aiyyer hits his chip a little far, and I hit mine 10 feet short.  Aiyyer misses, and I lip out, so i have a 2 footer left.

<OCGolfRick glances at Aiyyer, silently begging for the "Pick it up, that's good>

Aiyyer:

serious GIF

Make it. Talls win the Fourball. We go to singles.  

I win the first with a par and promptly give it back on the next hole after I miss the green long in the trees.  C. Free and I halve a couple, then I win two of the next 3, highlighted by birdieing the par 5 #15 with a great drive, mostly the result of hitting the cart path and getting the right bounce.  When I got to #16 and saw the fairway with 2 carries, I was lost. I had no idea what to hit.  Looking back, another pull hooked 5 iron was the wrong choice.  Made a double, but C.Free made bogey to win. I go into #17 1 up.  

#17 C.Free hits a hybrid? from 95 yards into the bank of the green.  "NOW I've got him" I thought as I pull out my trusty 54 degree.  Embeds into the bank just ahead of C.Free's ball.  He chips behind the green, leaving a downhiller.  I putt on the uphill leaving myself the uphill putt. Miss my par attempt just left, but C.Free converts!  Match even.  

C.Free has driver available, so rips one down the left center of #18.  I hit hybrid into the right trees, punch out, and have no club capable of a 110 shot flying a bunker.  Try to hit a hero 58 deg that falls short, a 8 iron into the bank, and nada. C.Free wins.  

As a first timer, I had heard about the chip and putt but had no idea what it entailed.  Chose a 58 degree and wish I had something less lofted.  I closed to within 1 of Aiyyer on #6, but he birdied #7 and we halved 8 to close it out.

I really liked the format and enjoyed playing with AltSean, and Aiyyer and C.Free couldn't have been more enjoyable to play with as well. Many thanks to CityGame for organizing and putting on such a great event.

As for the playoff, when City announced he'd won 5&4 against Sully, and that now we would have a playoff of @dsc123 vs @SullGolf, the collective groan and expression of the Talls:

Oh No Omg GIF by Friends

Finally, what is going on with Gunpowder? What is the business plan? Why would you take out your driving range that should make a fortune and replace it with a crappy chipn'putt course?  Why are there thousands of dollars worth of equipment rusting away in the woods? Why is there an Army truck sitting off the 14th fairway?  I just have so many questions!  When Tex told me the course has "Good Bones", I just took that like when someone tries to set you up with a girl whose got a "great personality", you just don't expect much.  But it really does, you can see where it could be a solid course with some tender loving care.  The greens were fantastic, and speed wise matched our Seaside course at OCGC.  And props to Linda in the clubhouse who made special chili for us,and as TVJ pointed out, it was the best microwaved cheeseburger I ever had.

Ended up being a really good golf day in bad weather and good company - altsean included. Sully choked and handed us the win. Interesting, quirky and tough layout that's begging for a marketing makeover. 

• Like 2

Right past the tent, there are 3 mats that are in the ground. 

I wonder if at one time there was a range. 

I guess cross creek closed down too. 

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

47 minutes ago, aiyyer said:

Ended up being a really good golf day in bad weather and good company - altsean included. Sully choked and handed us the win. Interesting, quirky and tough layout that's begging for a marketing makeover. 

In defense of my fellow Tall, @SullGolf was 2 - 1 on the day.  The Smalls Team Captain was 0 - 3 going into the pole off and then had his Kirk Gibson moment. #teamtalls 

• Like 1

Like golf you don’t remember the good shots only the bad ones. 

#teamsmalls

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

1 hour ago, Ocgolfrick said:

When I signed up to play, my wife and I were debating it- I would be gone all day, I would need to stop and shop at Trader Joe's Annapolis as penance, the forecast the week of wasn't looking good.  Then my mother in law says:

"If you go over there in this pandemic, I'm not coming over to your house for 2 weeks guaranteed!"

Decision made.  You could have told me there would be 6" of snow on the course and I would have showed up.  

Regarding that Eagle1997 gets a field report from Tex that it took him 6 hours to play the day before and wants everyone to show up at least 45 minutes early.  So OCGolfRick is on the road before 6am and pulls into the parking lot to be greeted by nobody.  @dagoose383 is just as dumb as I am, and pulls in after me. In the ultimate dagger, Eagle1997 shows up at 9:40 am.  

I decide to go with 2h, 5iron, 7iron, 8iron, 54 deg, 58 deg and putter for my 7 clubs.  I had looked at the course on BlueGolf and felt like it was short enough to get away with that setup as I'm a way better player with irons than woods. I got the look of disdain from @eagle1997, but I would totally go with that setup again.  

We start after the MossyFerguson foursome, so I was able to start my day with a sweet pull hooked 5 iron with everyone watching. Knocked 8 iron into the trees left of the green, but had a nice chip to setup a 2 putt bogey that actually won the hole after a C.Free lost ball and @aiyyer 3 putt.  

We are 1 down going into 8 the short par 3, where C.Free and Aiyyer have wedges, my partner AltSean has a wedge, and my shortest club  is an 8 iron.  Choking up to the metal, I actually get it to land behind the green in front of their balls, and AltSean is able to get inside me just off the green.  He makes par and Aiyyer and C.Free bogey to square the match.

I stroke on #9 and no one else does. I hit a fantastic 2hy down drawing left leaving (I THINK) about 125 in.  AltSean helps out the team by cold topping one 30 yards.  Luckily C.Free does the same, so its pretty much me and Aiyyer. Aiyyer is away approx 150 and leaves it just short of the green.  I have 125 and...a 7 iron.  Choke down to the metal again, and pull off another beautiful...pull hook. Luckily I am just left of the green as well.  Aiyyer hits his chip a little far, and I hit mine 10 feet short.  Aiyyer misses, and I lip out, so i have a 2 footer left.

<OCGolfRick glances at Aiyyer, silently begging for the "Pick it up, that's good>

Aiyyer:

serious GIF

Make it. Talls win the Fourball. We go to singles.  

I win the first with a par and promptly give it back on the next hole after I miss the green long in the trees.  C. Free and I halve a couple, then I win two of the next 3, highlighted by birdieing the par 5 #15 with a great drive, mostly the result of hitting the cart path and getting the right bounce.  When I got to #16 and saw the fairway with 2 carries, I was lost. I had no idea what to hit.  Looking back, another pull hooked 5 iron was the wrong choice.  Made a double, but C.Free made bogey to win. I go into #17 1 up.  

#17 C.Free hits a hybrid? from 95 yards into the bank of the green.  "NOW I've got him" I thought as I pull out my trusty 54 degree.  Embeds into the bank just ahead of C.Free's ball.  He chips behind the green, leaving a downhiller.  I putt on the uphill leaving myself the uphill putt. Miss my par attempt just left, but C.Free converts!  Match even.  

C.Free has driver available, so rips one down the left center of #18.  I hit hybrid into the right trees, punch out, and have no club capable of a 110 shot flying a bunker.  Try to hit a hero 58 deg that falls short, a 8 iron into the bank, and nada. C.Free wins.  

As a first timer, I had heard about the chip and putt but had no idea what it entailed.  Chose a 58 degree and wish I had something less lofted.  I closed to within 1 of Aiyyer on #6, but he birdied #7 and we halved 8 to close it out.

I really liked the format and enjoyed playing with AltSean, and Aiyyer and C.Free couldn't have been more enjoyable to play with as well. Many thanks to CityGame for organizing and putting on such a great event.

As for the playoff, when City announced he'd won 5&4 against Sully, and that now we would have a playoff of @dsc123 vs @SullGolf, the collective groan and expression of the Talls:

Oh No Omg GIF by Friends

Finally, what is going on with Gunpowder? What is the business plan? Why would you take out your driving range that should make a fortune and replace it with a crappy chipn'putt course?  Why are there thousands of dollars worth of equipment rusting away in the woods? Why is there an Army truck sitting off the 14th fairway?  I just have so many questions!  When Tex told me the course has "Good Bones", I just took that like when someone tries to set you up with a girl whose got a "great personality", you just don't expect much.  But it really does, you can see where it could be a solid course with some tender loving care.  The greens were fantastic, and speed wise matched our Seaside course at OCGC.  And props to Linda in the clubhouse who made special chili for us,and as TVJ pointed out, it was the best microwaved cheeseburger I ever had.

Great recap and great playing.  @Ocgolfrick is probably still tired from carrying me during the four ball.  Between the weather and putting my stupid rain bucket hat on and off 100 times, I couldn't get comfortable on the front and was mostly out there for comedic relief.

After our win in four ball, I knew it was game time against my arch nemesis @aiyyer so I had to step up my game.  We were evenly matched with aiyyer getting a 1/2 stroke on 16.  The match started out close with aiyyer making a few clutch putts to take a 1 up lead early.  We were all square through 4 holes and then I won 15, 16, & 17 to close it out 3&2.  

We made the turn to the chip and putt and OCgolfrick, aiyyer & I were at the first tee with C.Free no where to be found.  Fresh off his victory over OCgolfrick, our man comes wandering out to first tee, beer in hand, ready to play.  I hit first in our match and I bladed a 60* to within a foot, advantage talls.  The chip & putt goes back and forth with C.Free and I alternating wins and loses.  I am 1 up heading to #9.  In order to maintain poetic symmetry, I bladed a 60* to just off the green.  We push #9 and #teamtalls takes the match 1 up.  

For those degenerate gambler types out there, OCgolfrick took a cool $5 from our small friends and I walked away with a sweet $15 bones.  Another 200 wins like that and I'll be able to afford #Bandon2021.

gangsta pic.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ocgolfrick said:

Gunpowder.jpg

• Like 2

Feedback being back makes me remember how much of a problem I have...

...as I post all my putters for sale again...

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

The great driving iron experiment continues.

Before I had even taken it to the course the first time, I fired an order into golfworks for a different shaft.  I knew from trying one last year, that the stock shaft was too light for my liking.  I played with it twice at the course last week, while waiting for the new shaft to come in.  One day I just got a few practice holes, then I used it in a full round.  It's got pop, but the light shaft made it feel very hard to time properly.

Golfworks delivered on Monday, so I was able to get it glued up in time to play yesterday.  I installed a Fujikura Pro 95s.  I only got to hit it twice on the course, both of which turned out exactly as drawn up.  I pumped it right down the center on WM 14, then put one on the green on WM 17.  I hit some on the range beforehand as well.  It definitely feels much more like swinging one of my regular irons now.  Traj honestly didn't change much.  Feel is a bit more stout.

Testing will continue.  It's really going to have to prove itself a reliable club off the tee on the home course above all else.  

• Like 3

MF'er. 

I just had a whole thing typed up about the 7's and I tried to use the ascii character set to get a "degree" symbol but my num lock wasn't on, and I got bumped to another page and when I came back, the draft wasn't saved. 

Anyway, it was fun. thanks to everyone for coming out. 

I had to win 18 as my opponent was getting a stroke, and I "planned" it perfectly so that my clubs reset on 18 and I got up and down for a birdie with driver-54. 

Just to be clear, it was definitely shouts from the crowd, and not yours truly, who got the captains to chip into the telephone pole. In retrospect, it would have been cool to have it run through members of each team, like PK's in a soccer game.

But, some guys had been sitting around for a hour waiting for the second group to finish and I think "stay on my butt" inertia was pretty well set-in by the time we got to tie-breakers. 

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The way my back locked up after the round after sitting for 30 minutes, I would have put a worse performance than last time we had a chip off (RTC at Northwest '18?). 

I will admit to being totally mentally unprepared for the twist.  I never seemed to get in a groove to have the right clubs left (except for the one time I had only my 2 wedges left and chose the one I knew couldn't reach the green so I could chip with the other and be reset for the next tee).  

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

The twist was great.  Every year, I'm consistently amazed at how good scoring is with limited club selection.  In match play, I expect to need as good of a score each hole as if I had full access to all clubs.  Granted, that's on a course that's probably playing 5000 yards, not 6500.  You couldn't play that twist on a longer course, but you could still get around almost as well with 7 clubs and no twist.

There was only one hole where I didn't have a chance at a GIR due to club selection: I hit 9/PW/54 on hole 7.  That was partly because I lost my tee shot on 6 and didn't play out the hole.  Game-wise, I probably should have played it out to hit more clubs and reset earlier.

City and his opponent went in square to 18, but his opponent was getting a half stroke, not a full one.  It made it super interesting because it meant that there was no possibility of a halve in the match.  One guy was coming out with a point and one guy was coming out with nothing.  That's a perfect match play scenario to create some pressure.

• Like 4

2v1 is a good 3-man game. with carry-overs.

Every 6 holes you're playing vs two guys and you just want to "hold serve" and maybe win a hole when you're paired up. You better be in grind mode. If you add in birdies, it mitigates some of the damage done by being "unlucky" too often. 

as everyone knows, 3 and 12 are total beasts. I think they're both really good holes. 12 gives you more options for "bailing out" off the tee and into the green. . .more options to make an "easy" bogey. I think it's a better hole and it has a great green. 

A couple years ago, it had that back pin and I remember playing with Domes and hitting a 5 iron from the fairway bunker close and saying, "I won't hit a better shot all year". I think I was right come December 31st. 

I miss the FW right on Wednesday and I was on one of those mounds, but a good lie. I had 182 to a back pin, which is kind of stock 5 iron, but I was down hill and everything runs to the back of that green.

[That approach shot, in my understanding, is a "Redan" hole. Typically, a Redan is a par 3, but you can make a redan green on a par 4.]

Anyway, I lasered the number just to cover the bunker in the middle of the green and it was 160 (big green), so I go, "7 iron". I hit it perfectly ,covers the bunker, rolls up the BIG ridge at the back of the green. If it's 2 feet right, it probably rolls wrong way off that ridge and I've got 50 feet and can't get it close, but instead, it catches the left side, and disappeared right down to the hole. Still had to make a curly 12 footer, but that's a nice hole to snag a tweeter on. 

Going down two clubs in the heat of battle and knowing how that's going to release and playing to just "cover" was the kind of decision making I find fun on the golf course. It's one of the things that makes WM so good. There are lots of decisions out there. It's rarely just point and shoot.

I shot a good score out and with bogeys on 4 (from the fairway), 7, 11, and a triple on 15 from the middle of the fairway. That was a big ole "woulda. coulda. shoulda."

• Like 3

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

If WM was an easier walk, I would consider it just about the perfect course. I always thought it would make a great private course too from the perspective of having such great short-loops you could create at night to just go out and play a few holes. Almost every hole out there you have to think about what you are doing off the tee.

I have gone back and forth with loving or hating 12. I dont love holes necessarily that takes D out of your hands right off the bat. But I think that second shot and the "second shot area" are just fantastic.

• Like 3

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

12 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

If WM was an easier walk, I would consider it just about the perfect course. I always thought it would make a great private course too from the perspective of having such great short-loops you could create at night to just go out and play a few holes. Almost every hole out there you have to think about what you are doing off the tee.

I have gone back and forth with loving or hating 12. I dont love holes necessarily that takes D out of your hands right off the bat. But I think that second shot and the "second shot area" are just fantastic.

There are far worse holes than WM #12 out there, and even though it's difficult it's just a beautiful hole. 

Around this area a lot of the older private clubs have wonkier holes that seem to have tee shots designed for the hickory area. 

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

15 minutes ago, GooseHook said:

There are far worse holes than WM #12 out there, and even though it's difficult it's just a beautiful hole. 

Around this area a lot of the older private clubs have wonkier holes that seem to have tee shots designed for the hickory area. 

MV has a number of tee shots that could be considered wonky so...no glass house here. Its also made me realize that just the very act of being in between two tee markers, that doesn't mean you have a god given license to bang the D. I dont have to like it - but its certainly something that playing a course with wonky tee shots has helped me with.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Also approving an immediate name change request for SaltyFabb...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Jelly. I did not end up getting out to CF for any lessons this year. Once because its just far away and two, I did not feel the need to swingtinker in the middle of a good season. Who knows what the offseason may bring though...

• Like 2

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

2 minutes ago, FAbb said:

My walking pace correlates 100% to my level of saltiness.

That's funny, CJ.  I don't think I've ever seen top-dressed greens where you get such distinct footprints like that.  It tracks well with your description of the sand being really powdery.

It was kind of cool because the putts would leave a shot tracer track.  I had never seen that type of sand used for top dressing either, but I'm on board with it.

8 minutes ago, TheCityGame said:

Characteristic SaltyFabb move. . .

Missed putt. 

Speed walk to ball. 

Angry bend over to pick up ball. 

Speed walk to bag

Minor act of violence on bag

Speed walk bag to next tee. 

I might have coined "Salty fabb" on course but I'm not sure. As in, "I'm not playing with Salty Fabb the rest of the day so you better get over it."

I have some great pictures of SaltyFabb from our day at Caves. Like really  good shots of me and Eagle walking down the hole and then 200 yards down the fairway you see SF.

** to defend Salty before he defends himself, I think he had just had a kid or his kid was really sick and he hadnt slept and he was sick and he topped his first two tee shots. Still a 10/10 day, would repeatedly bang again.

• Like 3

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I was just looking at my signature like, "I haven't changed a single club in a year and a half."

Then I got to the putter .

D'oh. 

I've been putting with the Odyssey Stroke Lab 10 for a couple months now. I really liked it at first. I think about a week after getting it, I played  Blue Mash and made a bunch on punched greens. 

Then, I sort of went into a slump with it. 

This will sound weird, but FOR ME, I think it's a bad "die it in" putter. My wolverine had a little more pop off the face, so I could die-it and it would have just enough pop to get there. I went through a phase with the Odyssey where everything was weak low-side and if I tried to ram it, I'd knock it 8 feet by. 

But, I really like how it feels and lines up, so I put in a little work with it and I'm rolling it pretty good right now. All my misses lately have been just past the hole, and even if I'm not making 15-20 footers, I'm touching the hole on them a lot. There was just a feeling each other out with the putter. Eventually you get to "mind meld" state where you don't need to think about the length of the putt. You just look at the hole, pick your line, and swing. 

It almost forces me to try to make everything because the "get it close" putts all suck. 

I lipped out some long stuff at the 7's. I sunk a 60+ footer against TVJ and PQ the other day in a fourball that turned out to be huge. 27 putts at WM (helps that I hit a lot of balls close, especially on chips). But, every miss is at least taking a peek at the hole right now and that's all you can ask for. 

• Like 2

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green