How many "regular" PGA wins equal a "major" win?

manku

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major win = 600 Fedex points. Regular tour win = 500 Fedex points. Opposite field events = 300 Fedex points. So major win = 1.2 regular tour wins and 2 opposite field event wins.

You're welcome.

FedEx Playoff win= 2000 FedEx points or 3 1/3 times a major.

Forget about all this "fifth major" stuff. East Lake is the first super-major.

Zero, majors are the only thing anyone remembers. Regular events are not equal.

Are you sure about that? How many events did Nelson win in a row in '45? How many total? Without looking it up what year did Bruce Crampton win the Open?

:)

Did Bruce Crampton even play in the British Open?

He did, but only five times. Three at the start of his career, but only twice in his prime. He finished second in majors four times, all of them to Jack Nicklaus.

Like many others, he did eventually win a major on the Senior Tour.

See the post eight above yours. :). Yes, it was a trick question. But an immediate post knew Nelson's regular wins and no one has called out lack of Crampton major. Shows that maybe, unlike the post I replied to, folks do recall many regular wins and not all majors.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

10 wins is a major because the talent in most tournaments is no more the 10% what a major has. Even when the British open and the pga and the us open have all the mopes that have no chance to win. The the masters is a small field where there are mopes too. Just fewer.

Major win = 600 Fedex points. Regular tour win = 500 Fedex points. Opposite field events = 300 Fedex points. So major win = 1.2 regular tour wins and 2 opposite field event wins.

You're welcome.

FedEx Playoff win= 2000 FedEx points or 3 1/3 times a major.

I'm sorry, I thought the question was comparing "regular" wins to "major" wins. Playoff wins are neither a major nor a regular win. I don't like how they do the playoff points but that's another topic.

I like erg approach concerning the money. If Golf is your “job” than you must be somewhat concerned about ones finical well being. To secure a good life style just a few tournament wins could do that. Future earnings is a different factor but that has other intangibles involved such as looks and marketability. To me it sounds like people who think nothing can equal a major is focusing on the challenge to the golfer and the fame involved with winning on the biggest stage in Golf. But to that one could ask would you rather be famous with no money or rich but not famous?

No amount of regular tour wins equals a single major. How can this be justified? The prestige, history and pressure isn't the same. Is this just another means of diluting the significance of a major so all tournaments start becoming equal?

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Personally, you could win all the tournaments in the world, if you don’t have 2 majors at least it was a fluke.

#FlatTrackBully

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I think we're having two distinct discussions going on here. POY is a one year deal, and others are talking about guys careers.

For POY, I think a guy is going to have to have five or six regular wins to cover two majors. And at least half of them need to be upper tier event wins.

For the career question, I liked the Stricker-Hamilton comparison. I don't think anyone chooses Hamilton. I really think guys need to have multiple majors before they are relevant for these type discussions.

I think we're having two distinct discussions going on here. POY is a one year deal, and others are talking about guys careers.

For POY, I think a guy is going to have to have five or six regular wins to cover two majors. And at least half of them need to be upper tier event wins.

For the career question, I liked the Stricker-Hamilton comparison. I don't think anyone chooses Hamilton. I really think guys need to have multiple majors before they are relevant for these type discussions.

I got you. I would expect 5 good wins and at least a top 5-10 in 3 of the 4 majors. That said, if anyone wins 2 majors in a year there really is no way anyone else should win POY.

10 wins = major

Maybe 10 John Deere’s...

Here what I don't get about the 10 to 1 idea. So Andy North or Daly had a better body of work than Couples or Love?. They certainly had one week better than Davis or Freddie but a while career?

There are always going to be outliers. Let's take single players.

Phil has 38 non-major wins, and 5 major wins.

What do you think is the bigger accomplishment? If you could choose just one, would you rather win 38 non-majors, or 5 majors?

Here what I don't get about the 10 to 1 idea. So Andy North or Daly had a better body of work than Couples or Love?. They certainly had one week better than Davis or Freddie but a while career?

What do you think is the bigger accomplishment? If you could choose just one, would you rather win 38 non-majors, or 5 majors?

Forget about the outliers; let's talk incredibly improbable hypotheticals...

Are you sure about that? How many events did Nelson win in a row in '45? How many total? Without looking it up what year did Bruce Crampton win the Open?

He did, but only five times. Three at the start of his career, but only twice in his prime. He finished second in majors four times, all of them to Jack Nicklaus.

See the post eight above yours. :). Yes, it was a trick question. But an immediate post knew Nelson's regular wins and no one has called out lack of Crampton major. Shows that maybe, unlike the post I replied to, folks do recall many regular wins and not all majors.

Really, Stating Lord Byron's record is hardly uncommon knowledge, But Nelson also won about Five majors in his time

Also.You can choose any golfer for this, What is Tom Watson known more for, His Open Championships, or his regular wins.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

He has 43 wins which is 9th all time most and ties for 14th most majors won. The 43 is more impressive.

Really, Stating Lord Byron's record is hardly uncommon knowledge, But Nelson also won about Five majors in his time

Also.You can choose any golfer for this, What is Tom Watson known more for, His Open Championships, or his regular wins.

His Opens of course. What single great shot first comes to mind? For me it is Tiger at the Canadian Open. Nope, not a major. Note that the quote I responded to stated that "majors are the only thing anyone remembers." If folks only watch the majors like most of us watch tennis then yes, majors will matter more. If you are truly a fan of the PGA Tour and watch all of the events and see how good all of the players can be, and how bad they can be at times, then the majors are not the be all end all.

Well You brought it up, Tiger's Canadian Open Win, that shot to myself, is one of the finest

I have ever watched. I can not remember all the details, but I think he was just dotting the pin like

Some people dot their i's. I think he was letting his swing inform everyone this is. Who I am. Tiger

Had many defining moments in golf, but that shot , the carry, the height, how close it landed to the

Pin, I think its his best.

4 HC

If my memory serves, it was his last shot of the tournament that really he did not have to make cause he was already the winner.

Up and over the trees to what appeared to be somewhat well surrounded hazard laden green.

Dotted that pin, his best in my opinion. Hope we are thinking the same hole.

4 HC

Lots of talk right now about POY on PGAtour....here is a linky from today: https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2018/08/22/pga-tour-2018-player-of-the-year-brooks-koepka-not-over.html

PGA players seems to think that it is about 2-1, at least for POY. However, if you read what posters on this forum say, it seems more like 5-1.

What do most people think...I'd say it's about 4-1. Maybe 3-1 if they were the Players and two WGC or high profile events.

Back to the first post of the thread.

I would still contend that for someone to beat out BK they will need at least 6 wins. 6 Wins is a pretty darn good year. Justin Thomas has 3 wins currently. If he wins another plus the Tour Championship he would have to be in the discussion. for POY.

Lots of talk right now about POY on PGAtour....here is a linky from today: https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2018/08/22/pga-tour-2018-player-of-the-year-brooks-koepka-not-over.html

PGA players seems to think that it is about 2-1, at least for POY. However, if you read what posters on this forum say, it seems more like 5-1.

What do most people think...I'd say it's about 4-1. Maybe 3-1 if they were the Players and two WGC or high profile events.

Back to the first post of the thread.

I would still contend that for someone to beat out BK they will need at least 6 wins. 6 Wins is a pretty darn good year. Justin Thomas has 3 wins currently. If he wins another plus the Tour Championship he would have to be in the discussion. for POY.

I am ok with 3 to 1 but since Brooks has 2 majors so I am pretty sure the convo is over for this year.

His Opens of course. What single great shot first comes to mind? For me it is Tiger at the Canadian Open. Nope, not a major. Note that the quote I responded to stated that "majors are the only thing anyone remembers." If folks only watch the majors like most of us watch tennis then yes, majors will matter more. If you are truly a fan of the PGA Tour and watch all of the events and see how good all of the players can be, and how bad they can be at times, then the majors are not the be all end all.

The majors are not the only thing that matters or the only thing anyone remembers. However, they are at the front of the line.

Hogan's most famous shot: US Open at Merion 1950 72nd hole

Palmer's most famous shot: US Open at Cherry Hills 1960 1st hole final round

Nicklaus' most famous shot: pick one: 1 iron at Pebble Beach, 1975 putt at the Masters, whatever from 1986, driver at the 72nd at St. Andrews 1970

Watson's most famous shot: chip at the 71st, US Open at Pebble Beach

Tiger's most famous shots include the chip at the 70th 2005 Masters and various major putts that involve fist pumps and pointing, note the wording I said famous not best

Phil's most famous (good) shot from the pine straw at the 13th Masters in 2010, most famous bad shot(s) also occurred in a US Open at Winged Foot

If my memory serves, it was his last shot of the tournament that really he did not have to make cause he was already the winner.

Up and over the trees to what appeared to be somewhat well surrounded hazard laden green.

Dotted that pin, his best in my opinion. Hope we are thinking the same hole.

He only won by one over Grant Waite so he really did need that shot. https://www.pgatour.com/tiger-woods-victory-room-2015/2000/09/10/tigervictoryroomwin24.html

It is not just because it was Tiger though. There are so many regular events that come to mind with great shots and comments, probably more than from majors.

The majors are not the only thing that matters or the only thing anyone remembers. However, they are at the front of the line.

Hogan's most famous shot: US Open at Merion 1950 72nd hole

Palmer's most famous shot: US Open at Cherry Hills 1960 1st hole final round

Nicklaus' most famous shot: pick one: 1 iron at Pebble Beach, 1975 putt at the Masters, whatever from 1986, driver at the 72nd at St. Andrews 1970

Watson's most famous shot: chip at the 71st, US Open at Pebble Beach

Tiger's most famous shots include the chip at the 70th 2005 Masters and various major putts that involve fist pumps and pointing, note the wording I said famous not best

Phil's most famous (good) shot from the pine straw at the 13th Masters in 2010, most famous bad shot(s) also occurred in a US Open at Winged Foot

Sure-and I saw most of those-not Hogan although I have the picture over my desk.

First shots and rounds that come to mind

Tiger as mentioned at 2000 Canadian Open

For some reason I always thing of the tee shot at 18 at Tucson National. Had to thread it between two large ponds.

The Peter Jacobsen shot the first(?) week of Johnny Miller doing broadcast. "this shot is so chokeable"

Frank Beard at Braemar golf course in Minnesota Golf Classic in 1968. I was a young kid and fell in love with golf at my home course.

Phil's goofy smile wearing the conquistador helmet as an amateur.

Point being not so much that they are MORE memorable than majors. But again, the post I replied to inferred that the majors were ABSOLUTELY ALL that mattered and all we remembered. In golf I believe more in the whole body of work. Not just 4 events a year.

But to each his own.