Pick a golf ball for me based on this...

jjfcpa

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilson Duo. Wilson 50/50 Elite or Titleist Dt true soft. I have tried all three the past couple of years and my swing speed isn’t the fastest. I get really good distance out of all three and they are about the same around the green for me. None of them will break the bank either.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Wilson Duo Soft or for more spin, the Srixon QStar Tour. I'm 71 and have used both quite succesfully. My 7-iron distance is 150 and the driver 220-225.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Cleveland Launcher DST 15*, Diamana Red 64 R
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Titleist DT TruSoft.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Wilson DUO ( reg. model for economy and Urethane cover for greenside performance, Matte cover for visual ). Hard to beat this golf ball for all golfers especially for the senior. It feels softer and carry longer for slower swing speed.

Kirkland Signature, all they have now is the 3 piece urethane model. It's medium compression with urethane cover. Hard to beat the value.

Taylormade Project A. This golf ball is designed for the "A" players ( amateur ). It's decent in distance and performance with swing speed between 80-95 MPH.

Maxfli Softfli

A very soft ball that goes a long way

And Dick's usually has them on sale for around $12

I second this ball and Golfworks had them for only $8 a dozen a short time ago. Not sure if they still do!

Another choice maybe the 3 piece Topflite Gamer. Those were being sold for about a buck a ball awhile ago too!

I wanted to share this link regarding golf balls and swing speed.

https://golfsidekick.com/balls/best-golf-ball-85-mph-swing-speed/

That article is complete, total nonsense. Utter tripe.

It is a collection of links to Amazon they are hoping you will click and buy so they get a tiny little commission. The text of the article looks like it was robo-gleaned from a bunch of Internet forum “advice” posted by morons.

Another vote for the DT Tru-Soft. Should give you the best of both worlds off the tee and around the green without breaking the bank.

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

First let me say that I think it's smart to look for a ball that fits your game and I think the softer offerings give good performance for lower swing speeds. That is as long as they have enough spin into the greens to give you some stopping power.

Now let me also say this, yes a bit off topic. I will be 70 in December. I stand 6 feet tall and weigh 180lbs.

Yesterday I used my GPS to measure one of my longer drives and it had traveled 252 yards. I play Kirkland Signature and Chrome Speeds.

Every winter 3 times a week, I go through a variety of exercises using free weights and resistance bands in my basement. They are flexibility and strength with a little cardio mixed in. During summer golf season I cut back to one or two workouts a week, more when it gets too hot to play.

I'm saying all this to make the point that as you mature, you don't have to sacrifice all of your fitness if you put in the effort. I started out with very light weights and a limited routine until I built up over around two years. As I kept it up, I saw my distances increase. My 7iron went from about 145 to 160. Oh, and I also quit smoking which helped.

So guys: DON'T GIVE UP THE FIGHT AGAINST THE EFFECTS OF AGING !! GO TO WORK AND YOU'LL SEE THE RESULTS.

First let me say that I think it's smart to look for a ball that fits your game and I think the softer offerings give good performance for lower swing speeds. That is as long as they have enough spin into the greens to give you some stopping power.

Now let me also say this, yes a bit off topic. I will be 70 in December. I stand 6 feet tall and weigh 180lbs.

Yesterday I used my GPS to measure one of my longer drives and it had traveled 152 yards. I play Kirkland Signature and Chrome Speeds.

Every winter 3 times a week, I go through a variety of exercises using free weights and resistance bands in my basement. They are flexibility and strength with a little cardio mixed in. During summer golf season I cut back to one or two workouts a week, more when it gets too hot to play.

I'm saying all this to make the point that as you mature, you don't have to sacrifice all of your fitness if you put in the effort. I started out with very light weights and a limited routine until I built up over around two years. As I kept it up, I saw my distances increase. My 7iron went from about 145 to 160. Oh, and I also quit smoking which helped.

So guys: DON'T GIVE UP THE FIGHT AGAINST THE EFFECTS OF AGING !! GO TO WORK AND YOU'LL SEE THE RESULTS.

So you 7i goes 160 but driver goes 152?

Yesterday I used my GPS to measure one of my longer drives and it had traveled 152 yards. I play Kirkland Signature and Chrome Speeds.

This is good advice for all of us aging golfers. I don't get a lot of time to workout during the golf season because I also work full time, but I do make almost daily trips to the gym during the offseason (colder months of the year). That normally means that I have about 3-4 months of gym work before I begin my golf season.

A good example of how this can help is last Fall (only my 2nd year of golf), I over did it and was suffering with pain in both elbows as well as my lower back. During the offseason I did a lot of strengthening on weight machines (no free weights) and this season I don't have any issues at all, no matter how much I play.

The new breed of golfer is a regular at the gym and this is one of the reasons they are so successful at such a young age. This is also one of the best reasons to spend some time at the gym if you want better results on the course... or in my case, you just want to be able to hold onto the skill you have and use it well into your 70's. As fall approaches, I'm starting to look forward to getting back to the gym and work on some more core exercises to try and get more distance.

I caught that too and it has to be a typo. If not I would forever ditch the driver. : )

Sorry that's 252 my bad. Corrected

I caught that too and it has to be a typo. If not I would forever ditch the driver. : )

Corrected. Sorry. I'd throw it away too if that's all I could get out of it with a half swing LOL.

Sorry guys

Bridgestone e6 soft

Quality three piece ionomer covered golf ball. It's sort of the middle of the road as far as price, it comes in yellow or white, and May help with side spin. Also what is important to me, is appearance, and Bridgestone golf balls look sharp to me. I think it's mid compression so it's not too soft, but would probably work with your swing.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I wanted to share this link regarding golf balls and swing speed.

https://golfsidekick...ph-swing-speed/

The Srixon Soft Feel might be a good choice - I need to try the new model myself.

If you want to treat yourself, the AVX is a really good ball for slower swingers - like me.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Don’t sleep on the Top Flite D2 feel either. It’s a good overall performer with decent greenside results for a 2 piece surlyn ball and can usually be found for fairly inexpensive for 15 ball packs at DSG and GG. Also just recently released in yellow. Honorable mention to the Slazenger Money ball as well. Silly/fun graphics or logo, and a good soft felling ball for the price. Good distance and few from both.

Modern bag:
Nike vr str8 fit tour set at 11
Ping rapture v2 4 wood
Nike vr_s 3 and 4 hybrids
Maltby mmb 5-pw
Carnahan 52/56/60 wedge
Rotating door of putters

Sunday/quick nine walker:
Callaway warbird deuce 2 wd
Callaway warbird 4 wd
Hogan apex pro 4-E
Ping eye 2 W and S
Ping cushin putter

Classic bag:
Palmer Chattanooga driver
Hogan Slotline 4 wd
Palmer Standard 85 3-pw
Same ping eye 2 sw
Wilson professional 600 putter

66 went from 92 to 82 over 2 years due to fibromyalgia, I usually play Callaway balls as I get them thru Callaway VIP, went down from Chrome soft, to super soft to hot 70. I tried tons of other balls and brands, But for me premium balls spun too much, I have enough spin and height on shots, so surly gave me more distance and straightest ball flight.

Tried a bunch and the winner was Cut white at $14.95 a dozen. Love the flight, they hold the green, have nice alignment mark and they are pretty durable. I get 1-2 rounds if I don’t hit trees or cart paths.

I just got the new matte orang gem and yellow Callaway ball that replaced the hot 70, pretty good but like the cut better.

Done for year selling it all.

Buy a bunch of different kinds and play the one that feels and gives you the best results. That's it. If you can, take those same balls inside somewhere and get on a launch monitor and see if you can glean anymore data from that to aid in your decision.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1