Ping G410

Grover21

This is not meant to be a snarky question at all. I'm just wondering about what is so fantastic about the G400 series drivers? I have hit the full lineup save the SFT and I liked how forging they were and easy to hit but I definitely found the distance lacking, esp compared to the long guys like my TS2 and the Rogue. I found my TS2 to be comparably long to the Rogue but comparably forgiving and straight to the G400 in general. I believe it was between 10-15 yard difference between G400 and the TS2 for me. Granted my TS2 was custom fit and the G400's we were just going with whatever shafts they had there.

The reason I'm asking is I've heard so many say that the G400 is the best driver ever, or that they've ever hit etc. I feel like I'm missing something.

The G400s pushed the MOI envelope a huge amount. If the 400's you were hitting were shorter then they weren't setup properly, which you basically admitted.

Well my reply to that would be, Ping has VERY limited no upcharge shaft options from what I can tell so the chance of me getting a shaft that fits me as well as the Speeder EVO 661 Tour Spec without paying extra is slim to none. For TS2 the no upcharge options are pretty varied and give you a great chance of finding an awesome fit.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not meant to be a snarky question at all. I'm just wondering about what is so fantastic about the G400 series drivers? I have hit the full lineup save the SFT and I liked how forging they were and easy to hit but I definitely found the distance lacking, esp compared to the long guys like my TS2 and the Rogue. I found my TS2 to be comparably long to the Rogue but comparably forgiving and straight to the G400 in general. I believe it was between 10-15 yard difference between G400 and the TS2 for me. Granted my TS2 was custom fit and the G400's we were just going with whatever shafts they had there.

The reason I'm asking is I've heard so many say that the G400 is the best driver ever, or that they've ever hit etc. I feel like I'm missing something.

The G400s pushed the MOI envelope a huge amount. If the 400's you were hitting were shorter then they weren't setup properly, which you basically admitted.

Well my reply to that would be, Ping has VERY limited no upcharge shaft options from what I can tell so the chance of me getting a shaft that fits me as well as the Speeder EVO 661 Tour Spec without paying extra is slim to none. For TS2 the no upcharge options are pretty varied and give you a great chance of finding an awesome fit.

Also, I don't want to give the wrong idea - the Alta X shaft actually worked quite well for me and I always hit it well but I can never match the ball speed of the TS2 or Rogue with any of the G400 heads - usually 2-3mph slower on average.

Also, I don't want to give the wrong idea - the Alta X shaft actually worked quite well for me and I always hit it well but I can never match the ball speed of the TS2 or Rogue with any of the G400 heads - usually 2-3mph slower on average.

Do you have all the other stats to back up the conclusion though? Strike location, swing speed, smash factor, spin rate etc?

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Do you have all the other stats to back up the conclusion though? Strike location, swing speed, smash factor, spin rate etc?

I don't but I can get them next time I go the PGA Superstore. The top fitter there was saying the same thing about the G400, super forgiving and straight but lower ball speeds in his extensive experience.

Consistency.

Via a buddy who poke with ping rep today I have some info.

$499 MAP suggested retail $540

Models

9+

10.5+

12+

10.5 SFT

Shaft

Ping Tour, Mitshi Tensi R,S,X orange and Evenflow Black 5.5, 6.0 and 6.5 all stock

Wow, that's a big improvement in shaft selection. The G410 has my attention now...

I wasn’t too surprised other than with the tensei orange. I had a conversation with a couple of their fittters over the summer. Ping takes a long time with testing to determine which of the other after market shafts work best with their heads. Ef Black is a year old.

I don't but I can get them next time I go the PGA Superstore. The top fitter there was saying the same thing about the G400, super forgiving and straight but lower ball speeds in his extensive experience.

Make sure you're getting all the correct data. The last time I hit anything at a PGA Superstore it was using a a system that was only calculating numbers, not measuring them, or at least not surfacing what it was measuring. No swing speed or smash factor, only ball speed (which was inaccurate), launch, and spin.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Make sure you're getting all the correct data. The last time I hit anything at a PGA Superstore it was using a a system that was only calculating numbers, not measuring them, or at least not surfacing what it was measuring. No swing speed or smash factor, only ball speed (which was inaccurate), launch, and spin.

I agree, I would have to talk the fitter into letting me into the Tour Van Fitting area to hit on the GC Quad. That's where I was fitted for the TS2 and it is a pretty killer setup.

I’m excited for the g420

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Models

9+

10.5+

12+

10.5 SFT

Shaft

Ping Tour, Mitshi Tensi R,S,X orange and Evenflow Black 5.5, 6.0 and 6.5 all stock

Is Ping also going to offer any stock shafts with lighter weights and a softer flex profile, like the Tensei AV Blue 55 or the Kuro Kage Black DC TiNi with SFW being offered by Titleist for their new TS drivers?

The G400 witn the 9 degreee head cranked down and the Tour 65 shaft was most consistent for me in length and accuracy. I did not like the Rogue. Have not hit a TS1, it was not out when I bought, but I did have a 917 D2 and sold it to play the Ping. I had been really struggling with driving the ball and the Ping was a difference maker.

The G400 is the best driver going IMO. I like the standard G400 445cc head. Have heard good things about the new Titleist but it is all about fitting. I’m sure it is excellent — looks great and I generally like Titlieist drivers — but I doubt I will hit it any longer than the Ping. Only way I am getting more distance would be to try the LST head and really dial in launch vs spin. It is hard to beat the Pings for ease of hitting it straight.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Models

9+

10.5+

12+

10.5 SFT

Shaft

Is Ping also going to offer any stock shafts with lighter weights and a softer flex profile, like the Tensei AV Blue 55 or the Kuro Kage Black DC TiNi with SFW being offered by Titleist for their new TS drivers?

Not sure. This was given to me second hand. Knowing ping they will still have 1-2 shafts they designed and their tour shaft as well. Those usually come in those type of specs.

Models

9+

10.5+

12+

10.5 SFT

Shaft

Not sure. This was given to me second hand. Knowing ping they will still have 1-2 shafts they designed and their tour shaft as well. Those usually come in those type of specs.

I'm sure we will know about shaft options fairly soon. I'm just hoping that Ping will give us slower swingers some better stock options than they do currently. The Ping Tour is a decent shaft for those looking for a stiffer tip, but the other Ping-designed shafts are very counterbalanced and not an ideal match for some of us who are looking for a mid to high launch flex profile.

Models

9+

10.5+

12+

10.5 SFT

Shaft

I'm sure we will know about shaft options fairly soon. I'm just hoping that Ping will give us slower swingers some better stock options than they do currently. The Ping Tour is a decent shaft for those looking for a stiffer tip, but the other Ping-designed shafts are very counterbalanced and not an ideal match for some of us who are looking for a mid to high launch flex profile.

The counterbalance is a good option with the heavier head ping produced. Their regular flex shafts: distanza is a high, the Aldila x-torsion gives the mid high as is the judo kage

Not everyone likes or will fit into the stock shafts. Most people have preconceived ideas on what shaft works best for them (whether it is true or not). I liked the stock shaft for a little bit, but ultimately went to another shaft. Could likely use a big $$$ shaft, but I really liked the shaft I had in my G30, so I use that one and it's cheap from Ping so I have 4 spares just in case.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Not sure what you mean. The Alta CB 55 is pretty high/mid launch. Most people will add a few yards with a CB shaft (heavier head), so I can't blame them for making that the stock option.

You're right about the Alta being mid-high launch, but I'm just saying that I haven't been able to hit the stock Ping shafts very well even though I know people who like them. For me, the lighter, higher launching options in the new Titleist drivers (Tensei AV Blue and KK Black) are a better fit for my swing than the existing Ping options. No matter what else I try, I always seem to come back to the Mitsubishi shafts, which is why I wish Ping would move in that direction or at least offer a reasonably inexpensive upgrade option that includes the latest Mits shafts.

Not everyone likes or will fit into the stock shafts. Most people have preconceived ideas on what shaft works best for them (whether it is true or not). I liked the stock shaft for a little bit, but ultimately went to another shaft. Could likely use a big $$$ shaft, but I really liked the shaft I had in my G30, so I use that one and it's cheap from Ping so I have 4 spares just in case.

What's the name of that G30 shaft? I liked that one too. Maybe I should pick up a couple as well.

What's the name of that G30 shaft? I liked that one too. Maybe I should pick up a couple as well.

TFC 419 is the shaft you want. The stock shaft from the G driver is the same one, just painted that crappy light blue color. Made by UST.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

and costs 100 dollars more so not really apples to apples

How would you say the stock shaft on the G400 max compares to the stock shaft on the g30?

I didn't mind the stock G400 shaft, but eventually I found it a little weak in the tip resulting in unexpected hooks. The TFC 419 is a little firmer in the tip and flex.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize