Taylormade P760 (Pics Added)

jjgsgolf

All this talk of the lines in the cavity and not one mention of the paint-fill opportunities?! Geez, WRX... I don't even know who you are right now.

Shame.

I love this! This is instantly where my mind went. Could be some great paint filling done on those irons.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to "Would any Tour player use these?"... here are some players who currently use P750/P770 in their sets that could be a candidate for some P760s making it into their bag. Lots of guys use P730s as their core sets and lots of P790 2 irons in play too.

Jason Day

P750 3-PW

Beau Hossler

P770 6-PW

Rory McIlroy

P750 4

P730 RORS Proto 5-PW

Francesco Molinari

P790 4 iron

P750 5-PW

Jon Rahm

P750 4-PW

[twitter]RyanLauder66[/twitter]
Consumer Marketing @ TaylorMade Golf

I currently game P750(5-P) and will defiantly be giving the 760's a shot. The idea of more forgiveness in my long irons but still keeping nice size and shape in the scoring clubs seems like a home run. I honestly don't think these(760s) are all that bad looking and after the 4 or 5 YouTube vids i've seen on them, seems like they may perform at a pretty high standard. If i can maintain good launch and spin and the feel is good these will go in my bag for next year. Im tired of coming up 10 yards short because i miss the sweet spot on my 750s but a half a MM.

TM Sim 2 with Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue PVD 
TM SIM MAX WITH TOUR AD-DI
TM M2 Tour "Truck" 5 wood w/ Atmos Tour Spec Blue 80X

Taylormade P790 4
Taylormade P770 5-P
VOLEY SM5 50

VOKEY SM8 54
VOKEY SM8 58 
TM Ardmore 3 Copper

... I was just looking at the foam filled 7 iron and a ball on my carpet jumped about 5 feet. Clearly these are unplayable and will cause fliers that will be 30 to 40 yds longer than a standard 7 iron shot. And this new sole will have very poor turf interaction. I know all this without ever hitting them. I am sticking with my "insert name here" MB's.

When do you get your set?

... LOL Fred. In years past that would be a legit question but as you said last year "You are gonna love the P790's". You were so right. I have had no issues with gapping and of course mythical fliers without the aid of grass. So no need for me to consider these as I am very happy with my entire set of 790's with Recoil Prototype shafts.

(I hope all is well with you. Btw, I just booked another role on Chicago PD as a Dr.)

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

In response to "Would any Tour player use these?"... here are some players who currently use P750/P770 in their sets that could be a candidate for some P760s making it into their bag. Lots of guys use P730s as their core sets and lots of P790 2 irons in play too.

Jason Day

P750 3-PW

Beau Hossler

P770 6-PW

Rory McIlroy

P750 4

P730 RORS Proto 5-PW

Francesco Molinari

P790 4 iron

P750 5-PW

Jon Rahm

P750 4-PW

I know the P730's are popular and referenced a few of those using the 750/770 sets. I just think it's a big statement to make in their press releases that they are expecting this to be THE iron for them.

There hasn't been one up to date iron in the last 5 years that has been universally played on Tour by their staff.

If the reviews are anything to go by that may well change, I can't see it though when Woods, DJ, Day, Rose etc have their versions of the MB.

Jason Day

P750 3-PW

Beau Hossler

P770 6-PW

Rory McIlroy

P750 4

P730 RORS Proto 5-PW

Francesco Molinari

P790 4 iron

P750 5-PW

Jon Rahm

P750 4-PW

I know the P730's are popular and referenced a few of those using the 750/770 sets. I just think it's a big statement to make in their press releases that they are expecting this to be THE iron for them.

There hasn't been one up to date iron in the last 5 years that has been universally played on Tour by their staff.

If the reviews are anything to go by that may well change, I can't see it though when Woods, DJ, Day, Rose etc have their versions of the MB.

I can't find a press release from TaylorMade that directly states, let alone implies, they expect this to be the iron for all of their tour staff. Do you have a source where TaylorMade is claiming that? Having their product endorsers do Instagram live stories in no way implies they expect those players to switch to the P760. That's just product launch marketing.

As far as actual press releases and what was said, here's is their release: https://www.taylorma...-release-169056

"With P760, we set out to design a players iron for Tour-level competition, combining all the elements that are most desirable to the better golfer. The P760’s progressive set shaping enables short irons to be compact and precise while the long irons take on a hollow construction, injected with our revolutionary SpeedFoam. P760 is designed to inspire confidence whether you’re attacking pins from short range or sticking greens from long range."

-- Brian Bazzel, VP of Product Creation, TaylorMade Golf

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Jason Day

P750 3-PW

Beau Hossler

P770 6-PW

Rory McIlroy

P750 4

P730 RORS Proto 5-PW

Francesco Molinari

P790 4 iron

P750 5-PW

Jon Rahm

P750 4-PW

I can't find a press release from TaylorMade that directly states, let alone implies, they expect this to be the iron for all of their tour staff. Do you have a source where TaylorMade is claiming that? Having their product endorsers do Instagram live stories in no way implies they expect those players to switch to the P760. That's just product launch marketing.

As far as actual press releases and what was said, here's is their release: https://www.taylorma...-release-169056

"With P760, we set out to design a players iron for Tour-level competition, combining all the elements that are most desirable to the better golfer. The P760’s progressive set shaping enables short irons to be compact and precise while the long irons take on a hollow construction, injected with our revolutionary SpeedFoam. P760 is designed to inspire confidence whether you’re attacking pins from short range or sticking greens from long range."

-- Brian Bazzel, VP of Product Creation, TaylorMade Golf

Sorry, two online reviews (James Robinson & golfshake) referenced Taylormade as making the claim and I took it as read it was actually the case.

Print reviews TM have said the P range will be most played so they've got the wrong end of the stick and consequently me too.

Thanks for pointing that out, couldn't for the life of me imagine all their tour staff playing these!

I wish they looked more like this!

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]WITB:[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F7+ 8.5º w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F7 3/4F @ 14.5º w/ Fujikura Pro 65S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F7 2/3H @ 17.5º w/ Fujikura Pro 75S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Titleist 718 T-MB 4-PW w/KBS $-Taper 120[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Cleveland RTX 3 [/size][/color][/font][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]50º,[/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]54º and [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]58º w/PX 5.5[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Tyson Lamb Allendale 350g[/size][/font][/color]

Seeing great online reviews despite the aesthetic criticism. However I was not anticipating the price £1300 in the UK for 4-PW. That is 50% more than Titleist AP3, Mizuno, Srixon and almost makes Ping look cheap. Are TM going upmarket?

Well I have good news for you, Golfonline have them on their site and are charging £1050 for a set of 7 irons, so not quite as bad as you thought.....

Sigh of relief from my 730s.

These should have

A. Been aborted before conception

B. Been labeled "p780". No way do these fit between 750 and 770. Speed foam and ugly.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Seeing great online reviews despite the aesthetic criticism. However I was not anticipating the price £1300 in the UK for 4-PW. That is 50% more than Titleist AP3, Mizuno, Srixon and almost makes Ping look cheap. Are TM going upmarket?

Well I have good news for you, Golfonline have them on their site and are charging £1050 for a set of 7 irons, so not quite as bad as you thought.....

Found this on PGAtour website:

TaylorMade's P760 irons will be available Nov. 2 and retail for $1,400 as an 8-piece set (3-PW, with AW also available).

And I dont think most people will order 3-pw, more likley 4-pw so thats a bit less expensive.

But a lot of brands market their prices as 6 piece sets.

Found this on PGAtour website:

TaylorMade's P760 irons will be available Nov. 2 and retail for $1,400 as an 8-piece set (3-PW, with AW also available).

And I dont think most people will order 3-pw, more likley 4-pw so thats a bit less expensive.

But a lot of brands market their prices as 6 piece sets.

Just go to TM’s website. They are already on there. Pre-orders will start soon with full launch at the beginning of November.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

Yeah that was clickbait. I'll save everybody some time:

1) He didn't like the offset in the long iron but then proceeded to hit a shot and liked it how it felt/performed.

2) Overall he said they are expensive for what they are, and he'd rather just game Mizunos.

He didn't seem overly impressed, but also didn't NOT like them. Go figure... a Youtuber getting free clubs who says they are meh, but then immediately right after says they are still good.

1) He didn't like the offset in the long iron but then proceeded to hit a shot and liked it how it felt/performed.

2) Overall he said they are expensive for what they are, and he'd rather just game Mizunos.

He didn't seem overly impressed, but also didn't NOT like them. Go figure... a Youtuber getting free clubs who says they are meh, but then immediately right after says they are still good.

He’s insightful for a low/mid 80s shooter.

Based upon Rick Shiels’s Review...not looking good for the P760’s...

Would be interesting to see a review of a P750/P730 combo set vs. P760’s. Taylormade seems to be pricing themselves out of the market with premium pricing for average performance when compared to the likes of Mizuno, Cobra, Srixon for forged player irons.

I would argue that the P series of irons P770 & P750 lack the premium feel which you can find in irons from Mizuno & Cobra to justify the higher and premium prices that TaylorMade is charging. Can’t compare the P760’s, yet; however Shields eluded to liking hitting the non-speedfoam 8-PW more???

Based upon Rick Shiels's Review...not looking good for the P760's...

Would be interesting to see a review of a P750/P730 combo set vs. P760's. Taylormade seems to be pricing themselves out of the market with premium pricing for average performance when compared to the likes of Mizuno, Cobra, Srixon for forged player irons.

I would argue that the P series of irons P770 & P750 lack the premium feel which you can find in irons from Mizuno & Cobra to justify the higher and premium prices that TaylorMade is charging. Can't compare the P760's, yet; however Shields eluded to liking hitting the non-speedfoam 8-PW more???

Yeah I do find it odd how they priced the black P790s. I can hear it in the board room now...

"We'll paint them black and charge $300 more per set, but change nothing else!!"

".... ..... GENIUS!!!!"

I think it's more of a jerk reaction to Callaway, and how they went after PXG sales with the Rogue irons. Make something "cool" looking, market the crap out of it and charge a premium price to convince people it's better.

Would be interesting to see a review of a P750/P730 combo set vs. P760's. Taylormade seems to be pricing themselves out of the market with premium pricing for average performance when compared to the likes of Mizuno, Cobra, Srixon for forged player irons.

I would argue that the P series of irons P770 & P750 lack the premium feel which you can find in irons from Mizuno & Cobra to justify the higher and premium prices that TaylorMade is charging. Can't compare the P760's, yet; however Shields eluded to liking hitting the non-speedfoam 8-PW more???

Yeah I do find it odd how they priced the black P790s. I can hear it in the board room now...

"We'll paint them black and charge $300 more per set, but change nothing else!!"

".... ..... GENIUS!!!!"

I think it's more of a jerk reaction to Callaway, and how they went after PXG sales with the Rogue irons. Make something "cool" looking, market the crap out of it and charge a premium price to convince people it's better.

I stumbled onto the Cobra King Pro Irons CB/MB...they were not on the radar and seem like a forgotten set of irons. Once I picked them up I have not able to put them down...feel, sound, setup and looks are fantastic!!! Everything “is better”, they check off all the boxes (my personal perception) and cost less than others!!!

I compared them to a lot of irons: Callaway X-Forged, Wilson Tour FG V6 and TaylorMade P750/P730. Did not look at Titleist as they make better products than TaylorMade, but overpriced. Did not get to Mizuno, because I fell in love with the Cobra’s. Price was a small influence when shopping/comparing, but I think like most consumers we will pay for a quality experience when found, but don’t try to “market” and trick us into thinking we are getting a better product and experience, because you are charging more!!!

".... ..... GENIUS!!!!"

Just throwing it out there but every company that has offered black irons charge more for them.

Getting the balance between performance & aesthetics is always a challenge when creating a forgiving players iron.

As far as offset goes, although the new 760s are designed to sit in the middle of the 750s and 770s - the two sets they're replacing - they are in fact actually closer to the 750s (2.9mm) than the 770s (3.6mm) when it comes to offset.

The P700 Series 3 iron offsets look like this:

P730 2.1mm

P760 3.1mm

P790 3.9mm

We see lots of P760/730 and P790/760 combo sets next year, alongside the full 760 set.

[twitter]RyanLauder66[/twitter]
Consumer Marketing @ TaylorMade Golf

Jason Day

P750 3-PW

Beau Hossler

P770 6-PW

Rory McIlroy

P750 4

P730 RORS Proto 5-PW

Francesco Molinari

P790 4 iron

P750 5-PW

Jon Rahm

P750 4-PW

The ONLY reason any of these guys would put them into play is because they are PAID to do so, doesn’t necessarily mean that the P760’s perform better. All part of marketing 101...

The ONLY reason any of these guys would put them into play is because they are PAID to do so, doesn’t necessarily mean that the P760’s perform better. All part of marketing 101...

... The ONLY reason any player uses a specific club from an OEM is he thinks it will help him win. Playing a club means little to an OEM. Winning with a club means everything. Winning without a club means almost as much. If Rory wins with 730's the ad in the golf magazine will show Rory and a super imposed picture of whatever iron they want to promote. "Rory WINS with Taylor Made irons!" So a picture of the new 760's super imposed is perfectly legal and they all do it all the time. Only a handful of golfers that might be in the market for new irons know what Rory plays. I have talked to several OEMs at the PGA Show and all have said they would never want a player to use an iron they didn't think would help them win. They give them the newest to try of course, and hope they work for the player but if that player is more comfortable using his older OEM irons every manufacturer is OK with that. Winning trumps playing every time.

Anyone who has been within the golf industry knows that manufacturers “pay-to-play” and/or “tee-up” money based upon clubs that players put into play.

So, the counter-arguement to you would be...why does Rory only play TaylorMade? Is it because he thinks they give him the “best” chance at winning? Or, is it because he is contractually obligated and/or gets paid a lot more from TaylorMade, if he does?

... I said an OEM, not multiple OEMs. If you are on staff with Titleist and have an equipment contract, of course you are required to play Titleist clubs. But you are not required to play the "latest and greatest" Titleist clubs. Jordan Spieth put the newer AP2's in his bag, played poorly and then put his old AP's back in his bag. The last thing Titleist wants is Spieth blaming his new irons for his poor play.