Taylormade P760 (Pics Added)

jjgsgolf

I bet they'll actually look pretty good in-person

I dont think they look bad and cant understand how some say the 750s and 770s look any better. Maybe they couldve went a little more vanilla but these are far from gaudy.

Id want my irons to look a little better than not bad for 1.4K.

1400$ USD is a lot. I mean the Z785 is less than that in Canadian dollars and they are sexy AF

For 8 clubs it’s on par with every other offering.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t think they look bad and can’t understand how some say the 750s and 770s look any better. Maybe they could’ve went a little more vanilla but these are far from gaudy.

I’d want my irons to look a little better than ‘not bad’ for 1.4K.

1400$ USD is a lot. I mean the Z785 is less than that in Canadian dollars and they are sexy AF

Yeah, I've seen people complaining about the price recently. It's not more than most of the Tour-ish offerings you see these days.

Better. Like I said, anything is better than the Insta Live shot - but personally I will wait to see and try them in person. I've always been performance over appearance anyway, so pictures are only about 20% of my personal evaluation equation.

id probably agree with that ratio..BUT the 20% is the 1st impression ..and it matters..alot.. Fact is guys were waiting for a "mini 790"... and this isnt that

Well I wouldn't be surprised if the number scheme kinda gives it away and we're probably due for a P780 iron too. That will probably be closer to the P790 which may be closer to what the mini 790 crowd is looking for. TM almost never just does 1 iron release for the year, so stay tuned. No insider info there, but just a hunch.

You really believe they will make a 780 that’s 1mm smaller than the 790 and that’s gonna be considered a “mini 790” by the “players”.

You really believe they will make a 780 that’s 1mm smaller than the 790 and that’s gonna be considered a “mini 790” by the “players”.

Do I think it's likely that a company that has released a P730, P750, P760, P770 and P790 within the last 18 months will just arbitrarily stop there in the numbering scheme when they're known for releasing clubs quarterly? No I don't think that's likely.

TM's goal should be to fill the gaps that customers want. Obviously from the comments here, there are still some gaps for them to fill in 2019 and their number scheme allows them room to do that. There will be a market for these P760s, and there will be a market for P780s. Is that hard to believe? I don't know what they will be exactly, but I know their goal is to get people to keep talking about their clubs year-round which they did from the P750 release through the P730 release, and now this one. They'll have more releases in 2019 that address the gaps and they'll probably have something for everyone - they have a formula and a pattern.

I don’t think they look bad and can’t understand how some say the 750s and 770s look any better. Maybe they could’ve went a little more vanilla but these are far from gaudy.

exactly. who would buy these at that price over ap3, jpx forged, mp mmc, i500, either z585 or 785, among others.

Do I think it's likely that a company that has released a P730, P750, P760, P770 and P790 within the last 18 months will just arbitrarily stop there in the numbering scheme when they're known for releasing clubs quarterly? No I don't think that's likely.

TM's goal should be to fill the gaps that customers want. Obviously from the comments here, there are still some gaps for them to fill in 2019 and their number scheme allows them room to do that. There will be a market for these P760s, and there will be a market for P780s. Is that hard to believe? I don't know what they will be exactly, but I know their goal is to get people to keep talking about their clubs year-round which they did from the P750 release through the P730 release, and now this one. They'll have more releases in 2019 that address the gaps and they'll probably have something for everyone - they have a formula and a pattern.

So you think their number scheme is arbitrary? The first two number stands for the blade length in millimeters. One guess as to what the 780 would be.

Have to say from the renders and early shots they didn't look great.. but after watching a few videos they don't look too bad to be honest.

I'm thinking along the same lines at the moment. The irons don't look anywhere near as naff or plastic-y as they did in Jason Day's Instagram post.

Judging by the reviews (print and video) it sounds as though Taylormade have got the balance absolutely spot on.

According to some of the print reviews, TM are hoping this will be their most played iron on Tour. That's quite a big aspiration, especially given their top two household names waited so long for the Nike-a-like 730 blades.

Jason Day and Justin Rose have used similar looking clubs in the past but I'm surprised that they're looking for maximum Tour exposure.

I guess if they are as good as the reviews suggest they may well end up in a lot of bags.

... I was just looking at the foam filled 7 iron and a ball on my carpet jumped about 5 feet. Clearly these are unplayable and will cause fliers that will be 30 to 40 yds longer than a standard 7 iron shot. And this new sole will have very poor turf interaction. I know all this without ever hitting them. I am sticking with my "insert name here" MB's.

When do you get your set?

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

So you think their number scheme is arbitrary? The first two number stands for the blade length in millimeters. One guess as to what the 780 would be.

I know it's not necessarily arbitrary, but allows for some leeway - I don't think they're prisoners to the naming convention. The P760s are the only progressive/combo set of the bunch, so I assume the blade length will have some variation and won't be the same for all irons? Maybe the 760s average 76 mm? I haven't looked at the specs yet, so I don't know. My assumption is that TM is focused on progressive sets this year, but I could be wrong. The overall theme of my posts have been *patience* - I'm waiting to see what the full lineup is like for FY2019 before I cast any aspersions.

Well first of all I wasn't complaining (edit....sorry this isn't directed at you....to the post below yours) , was just pointing out what i thought to be a true statement.....However if it's 1400 USD for 8 clubs than i agree it's not as bad as i initially thought, as pricing nowadays is mostly for 7 clubs.

What i said was still technically true though, the Z785 is a really nice club and sub 1500$ Canadian for an 8 club set. I only brought up Srixon because i'm looking at a set. But most other forged offerings are 1700CAD for 8 clubs which this would be in line with so you are right

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don't think they look bad and can't understand how some say the 750s and 770s look any better. Maybe they could've went a little more vanilla but these are far from gaudy.

I'd want my irons to look a little better than 'not bad' for 1.4K.

exactly. who would buy these at that price over ap3, jpx forged, mp mmc, i500, either z585 or 785, among others.

Well as was pointed out, correctly by others, if the pricing of 1400$ is for 8 clubs it's actually probably going to be the same MRSP as all of those except the Srixons

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

James Robinson Golf has a review of these up as of 30 minutes ago. Very interesting.

I did watch the whole thing and came away with a couple of thoughts. First at the end he states that all the clubs ended up going their expected distances. Then why was he oohing and aahing every time he hit one flush? Doesn't seem like he was getting anything extra. Just what he expected. The real benefit I saw from that was his observation that off center strikes lost less distance than other sets but I think that's really the overall story from irons in this category anway. Second, to his credit he mentions that he will take them out on the course for a real world trial but for his test he was hitting off of mats which gives absolutely no feedback on the turf interaction from this chamfered leading edge. Lastly while I won't argue aesthetics since its so personal my own view is that these have a "design by committee" look to them. I've never been a fan of TM's GI and SGI iron looks but for my own tastes I think they've also lost the plot on their better players irons recently in terms of looks. The Tour Preferred MC and MB were much more attractive IMO and with the 750, 770 and now this they've gone to a lot of these milled lines in the cavity that look overly busy. Just my $0.02.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I think he ooh'ed because of how nice they felt.. Not because he hulk smashed them.

Like I've said.. not a fan of the cavity but do you see that at address? Meh no, but you do look at them before and after most shots. On most holes that's at least 3 times, so you look at your bag minimally 60 or so times a round. That's a lot of views per year when you think about it. If you don't love how your irons look... you will eventually look for a reason to get rid of them unless they are magical.

I'm still not sold on speed foam either... I have 790s and sometimes when I hit a 6 or 7i I have literally no clue where it was struck on the face unless it was horrendous, which luckily isn't too often anymore. While I'm almost positive it helps give ball speed and forgiveness, you do start to sacrifice I think on feedback.

After seeing the videos I think they look okay

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

WOW! I'm very surprised about the amount of negativity about how the P760's look! I've got a couple buddies that play the P790's, and they do look great. I've been playing a set of Titleist 704.CB's (for the last 14 years and played a year of college golf with them!) and am finally looking for a set to replace them. I've tried several sets over the years, but I've had these irons a while and know exactly what they will do, so I was never really looking hard at replacing them until now.

I was initially drawn to the P790's (I just got the P790 UDI and it's GREAT!), and they do launch the ball long and straight. But the P790's are lofted between 3*-4.5* lower than my current set (mine are lofted very similarly to the P730's), and that was concerning because I typically hit the ball a bit lower than some (grew up in the winds of West Texas). Going to a stock set of P790's would be like taking a club out of my bag, since the 7 iron would go as far as my current 6, etc... I was just about to pull a trigger on the P790's, customed to 2* weak loft and TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400's, but I saw that these were coming out. I decided to hold off for a few weeks until I could see these specs, and man, I think I hit the jackpot! These lofts are just about right in the middle between the P730's and the P790's, exactly what I'm looking for. In addition, they combine several of the elements of the P790's game improvement technology with a bit more of a blade-ish look.

I think they will be great irons and very appealing to a wide range of low-mid handicap players. I really don't find them ugly either, but just chalked it up to them being close to 15 years newer than what I'm playing, and them looking a bit "futuristic" comparatively. I'm looking forward to putting these in my bag in a few months. I'm really interested to see what Rich Shiels has to say about them and the launch monitor data that accompanies his review; he said his full review will be posted Wednesday 10/17.

... I was just looking at the foam filled 7 iron and a ball on my carpet jumped about 5 feet. Clearly these are unplayable and will cause fliers that will be 30 to 40 yds longer than a standard 7 iron shot. And this new sole will have very poor turf interaction. I know all this without ever hitting them. I am sticking with my "insert name here" MB's.

You are starting it not us....

Most comments just seem to be about how ugly they are.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Everybody chiming in on looks and such, but watching the Packers game, it looks like the cavity of these irons were inspired by the end zone painted stripes at Lambeau

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

I'm still confused how the chamfer cut will change the turf interaction. Does it result in less digging/shallower divots?

A leading edge like this--some call it pre-worn, rolled, rounded, dulled, blunted, etc--doesn't change the overall bounce surface of the sole, but it does have a little more forgiveness on initial contact with the turf. It won't dig as quickly and therefore can be of value to someone who leans the shaft. I'm don't have a ton of forward shaft lean, but I like turf interaction of a pre-worn leading edge grind as opposed to a straighter leading edge. It's more consistent.

Does anyone one know if the P760's need a parallel or taper tip shaft......

Thanks

I'd be shocked if they weren't taper, as their players irons have always been taper tip. There's no reason to assume otherwise.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

All P series irons are taper, all M series are parallel.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Not sure if anyone else thought this, but to my eye these share a lot of similarities with the old Psi Tour players irons. Some of the lines and the overall profile of the back of the iron seem to be parallel to what TM did with that series. What is also intriguing is that they’re incorporating the same inner technology concept they’ve tried before, but now with advanced materials, speed foam. Like the Psi Tour’s, these have a “filler” in the 3-7 irons and the 8-P are a true muscle back. I’m excited to hit these despite some of the negative comments regarding their looks. In my opinion, the Psi Tour iron was one of the best irons TM has ever put out there in terms of combining a thin top line with some innovative technology. The P750’s were gorgeous, but they abandoned gel/foam filled forgiving long irons and went with a completely forged solid head. This P760 series seems to be a revisit to what was a very good idea in 2015....

I've been a vocal critic of TM for a while now (golf balls excluded) but I think these look better than the irons they're replacing. The videos show them to look nicer than the initial pics. The 750 & 770 are ugly af imo.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I like the concept and think they look great from the address position. The back of the iron is a little mod for my looks preference, but not as off-putting as it seemingly is to others. I'd play 'em if they work as advertised

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Personally I think the computer generated images of these irons didn't look good and too many judgements have been made based on those photos. Looking at actual photos/videos of the P760 I don't think they look bad at all and I'm starting to think they look pretty good. I'm looking forward to testing these this spring as the progressive set is exactly what I need. I've been thinking at ordering PW - 8 iron in the P750 to replace my P770 short irons for a while now. I think the P760 are going to fit a wide range of golfers with it being a progressive set and will be a hit once people get the chance to hit them.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x