Prov1 experts need your help

ironmikes

Recently picked up some 2016 Prov1s for a great price on Ebay .

The ad showed the box was sealed in plastic ( interesting but maybe the store they came from did that for theft )

Upon opening the box something was off on them .

the balls appeared to be off in color whiter than the normal Prov1 color and the alignment aid is a darker shade of grey .

The cover feels like a 2 piece Surlyn gollf ball cover not a softer urethane cover.

never heard of a fake Prov1 golf ball so maybe they were refinished and sold as new ?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sealed? Whoa....

It could be lighting but the ball (right) looks smaller, dimple pattern isn't as prominent and logo seems off.

I'd say refinished but also be interested if fake Pro V1's exist...?

- KC

Wood Bros Kool Cat F-1 - 11°

TaylorMade Tour Cleek - 16°

Ping Eye 2 - 1 Iron

[Irons - TBD]

Cleveland Reg. 588 - Special 49°

Wilson Staff Dyna-Power - SW

Scotty Cameron CA Coronado - 34"

Mate in my 4ball says he got re- painted balls .. did they sell as refurbished?

The Ebay ad cleary stated Prov1 balls brand new in box.

Maybe the seller picked them up sealed from somebody trying to pass them off as new ?

Sent the seller a message and told them I need a refund and return shipping label.

Bought a lot of Prov1s off Ebay and this is the first time I have had an issue .

Sad thing is a casual golfer would not notice anything was wrong .

Guess years of playing the Prov helped me see something was not right as soon as I opened the sleeve.

Don't have to look too hard to find the 2015 fake ProVs; they have been around for a while. But note the second link below — fake 2017 Pro V1/x are out there too.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/good-quality-new-2015-style-prov1-2013-style/396493343.html#s1-5-7b;searl|0273496980

https://www.dhgate.com/product/new-dhl-golf-pro-v1-v1x-golf-balls-club-clubs/430655499.html#s1-4-1b;searl|0849801699

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

Contacted the seller to get a refund and mentioned that the balls are not authentic . let's see what they say .

Worst case I can file a claim with Paypal but may need advice to file it , item not as described ?

Did not realize how may fakes are out there , especially looking at the packaging that looks so close .

I have bought tons of Pro V1s off eBay without problem, then one time got 11 dozen from a guy. I knew instantly they were fakes.

Most of the dozens were shrink wrapped. The boxes felt thinner to me, which I proved by putting them next to a regular box. I took two balls out and juggled them in my hand (heyo!) and the sound was just off, like they were from a toy store or something. The Titleist scripting was just a smidge off. And on the box, there were suspect markings like unusual bar codes and in some places they even said Pro V1x. But you had to really read closely, and not many people read boxes anymore. I'd venture to say 95 percent of casual golfers wouldn't have known the difference until they were put in play.

I ripped the guy to shreds in a message but he swore he didn't know they were fakes. He sent me a return shipping label and gave me a full refund, so it was a happy ending. But I'm much more slow to buy balls in bulk now unless I can do background work on the seller beforehand.

I don't know man. Small differences in the finish coloring isn't pure evidence of a counterfeit product.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

hopefully you get refunded and the seller says keep them. would like to see the inside of one of them.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

I don't know man. Small differences in the finish coloring isn't pure evidence of a counterfeit product.

With a Pro V1 it is. Been to the ball plant, the QC is insane.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

hopefully you get refunded and the seller says keep them. would like to see the inside of one of them.

Will keep you guys updated on how the seller handles this.

Would love to cut one in half myself, pretty sure the balls I got would look like the fake ones cut open I have seen , clearly a two piece golf ball.

Glad to hear from somebody that visited the plant as I have never seen a new ball that the color and cover are so different from a real Prov1.

Have bought many ProVs on Ebay this is the first time I have gotten burned .

Note to self , if they are in a plastic wrapper stay away lol !

Would love to cut one in half myself, pretty sure the balls I got would look like the fake ones cut open I have seen , clearly a two piece golf ball.

Glad to hear from somebody that visited the plant as I have never seen a new ball that the color and cover are so different from a real Prov1.

After I was burned with fakes, I started asking sellers for pictures of the sides of the box if I had any doubts. Once you see a fake box, you'll know the difference in a snap.

After I was burned with fakes, I started asking sellers for pictures of the sides of the box if I had any doubts. Once you see a fake box, you'll know the difference in a snap.

That is a great idea as you see a picture where the box looks good from more of a distance.

Will have to keep that in mind .thanks

Will keep you guys updated on how the seller handles this. Would love to cut one in half myself, pretty sure the balls I got would look like the fake ones cut open I have seen , clearly a two piece golf ball. Glad to hear from somebody that visited the plant as I have never seen a new ball that the color and cover are so different from a real Prov1. Have bought many ProVs on Ebay this is the first time I have gotten burned . Note to self , if they are in a plastic wrapper stay away lol !
That is a great idea as you see a picture where the box looks good from more of a distance. Will have to keep that in mind .thanks

No idea how far you want to go with this, but you can report this to Titleist with this form and they will pursue it further.

https://www.titleist...terfeit-product

Contents of bag subject to change...frequently 

Will keep you guys updated on how the seller handles this. Would love to cut one in half myself, pretty sure the balls I got would look like the fake ones cut open I have seen , clearly a two piece golf ball. Glad to hear from somebody that visited the plant as I have never seen a new ball that the color and cover are so different from a real Prov1. Have bought many ProVs on Ebay this is the first time I have gotten burned . Note to self , if they are in a plastic wrapper stay away lol !
That is a great idea as you see a picture where the box looks good from more of a distance. Will have to keep that in mind .thanks

No idea how far you want to go with this, but you can report this to Titleist with this form and they will pursue it further.

https://www.titleist...terfeit-product

take it to the house!

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Have not heard back from the seller . should I open a claim with Paypal or Ebay , which is more effective ? thanks

Ebay. Go ahead and open a claim and get the ball rolling.

I opened up a return claim with Ebay for a full refund and stated I will not pay for return shipping.

Time to sit back and see what the seller says .

Slight differences in the tinting of the paint on a ball that's more than two years old is not clear evidence of fraudulent activity. What does the box look like? Is it pristine and does the graphics match up exactly like the real Titleist box? How about some photos?

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Slight differences in the tinting of the paint on a ball that's more than two years old is not clear evidence of fraudulent activity. What does the box look like? Is it pristine and does the graphics match up exactly like the real Titleist box? How about some photos?

The box looked pretty close to the ones I had , like one of the other poster said the upc codes looked different , at a quick glance.

Big thing for me was not the color of the balls but he fact that you could easily tell the cover looks and feels like a 2 piece Surlyn ball.

In addition to the cover dimple pattern is different along with the color of the alignment aid which does not vary on the authentic balls I have.

They may have been refinished as somebody suggested which is fine if that is what you were expecting to purchase not brand new never used.

The authentic version did not come wrapped in plastic , which seems like somebody tried to hard to fool us.

In addition to the other obvious signs, the 3rd t in titleist looks off, as does the spacing between "Title" and "ist". That aint a horse with zebra stripes.

And refurbs are (legally, I think?) supposed to clearly note that they are refurbs. So either way someone is trying to pull a fast one, I'd definitely start the claim process.

I mean, it's obvious these are fake. Besides the script and printing, just look at the dimples. They are spaced differently and more shallow.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV