2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Marketing Works All I See in Bags Are....

FourTops

It’s regional... for every Mustang and Camaro i see on the road there are 3 Challengers.

Few more Callaway, TM drivers than the rest. Irons are a mixed bag for sure.

Yep. It’s Regional.

Every time I go to Florida I’m convinced every Cameron sold in the US ends up there. Freaking bizarre.

...oh wait....we’re talking clubs.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TM has dominated every region in which I have lived/played. Cally has been prominent since the original Big Bertha days. Ping and Mizuno always represented in slightly lower numbers. Titleist is always a constant, but a smattering in the field.

Lots of factors that make this the case, but the club racks at Dicks or other major retailer illustrate a huge part of the issue - as others have pointed out. Not everyone is as clued in to the market as people are around here.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I think it has a lot to do with the club pro. In corpus the pro is a Titleist guy. Wears Titleist clothes, uses the clubs and most importantly has a ton of Titleist merchandise and equipment in the shop. When he gives lessons he has his Titleist clubs if he is going to hit any balls. He doesn’t really push Titleist but it’s certainly out on display.

In my very long winded conclusion....lol.... he sort of makes it looks like if you want to be good like him then you ply Titleist. I would say especially if you are a kid at the club that’s the opinion you form.

Interesting take, one which I believe may be directly related to exactly which tracks you play, & the average age of those playing said courses. As a retired guy, I was able to find part time work at both of our cities two muni tracks. The larger 18 hole course has been around since the 40's, while the newer 9 hole track is but 10 years young. What I have found is even with a large variety of income brackets, the older course sees most males/females playing older clubs. We see alot of TM drivers, mostly from the R & RBZ line, & Cally 2-3 year old drivers. Even a large amount of the old Big Bertha line. Irons typically are even older, mostly Ping, Cally, & even older Titleist. Heck, I see more new bags than new clubs. Now, if you shift to the newer, but smaller 9 hole course, predominately played by local high school, First Tee, & retirees, things change. The younger kids bags are full of newer drivers. Alot of Cobra gear & clothing. Little Titleist or Mizuno, but many Ping drivers & irons, and newer Cally. What's even more interesting, is that the retired guys often are sporting new irons, especially Ping & TM, and a variety of new Drivers. Interesting to, that retired group also has a few self made club builders who have a variety of component irons, mostly Maltby & even Hireko. Just seems the younger/retired group are more into new gear than our average everyday league hackers. Maybe it's a cost thing, like rewarding yourself w/new gear when you retire. Also, the young kids are way more into following the lead of the tour players & their trends. Maybe the average guy/gal playing the larger muni are playing older clubs because they spent their wad getting their kids the newest & most popular gear out there, lol. But for sure, the kids & retirees are playing the newer stuff by a larger margin around here.

Agreed. TM has way too much of the market for the product they produce. Its all marketing. Mizuno & Ping deserve more play. Mizuno's High quality irons at decent prices, and Ping's woods. Callaway and titleist are in a good spot. Titleist has its niche that it wants with the die hards & traditionalists. Callaway has an all around good line. TM is the culprit. They are why the market is so watered down with clubs, why Dicks had to lay off all their PGA pro's, etc...

Callaway

Taylormade, Callaway and Titleist from what I’ve seen in SoCal. Rarely see Ping.

Putters mostly Scotty and odyssey.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

Mostly when paired with non-regulars (who all play TM and/or Cally), I'd agree most people with relatively recent equipment I see Callaway (especially irons) and TM. Haven't seen anyone with recent Pings in a long while. A few Mizuno (better players).

Honestly never seen anyone with Srixon irons, Hogans, or other brands outside of Cally, TM and occasional Ping.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

it's a mix up here from what i've seen

i just got new stuff from callaway for woods and mizuno for irons and wedges - i saw a guy who i was bit crappier than i was with some hot metals and went and got fit for them. they are awesome, i think the more people see them the more people will buy them. i was always hesistant on mizuno because i didn't know a lot about the brand and also don't want to hit blades cause i'm not consistent at all.

i've seen a lot of older taylor made and callaway stuff around...a lot of newer epic and rogues and m3/4. i've also seen a ton of the new ping irons, lots of guys like them.

Marketing certainly does its part but I think another big part of it is the trickle down effect from new clubs to the used market.

TaylorMade comes out with 2 new drivers every year. So the used market gets flooded with used TaylorMade's that are only a few years old, still good quality products that are up to date with technology, still in relatively good condition and marked down to a fraction of the cost of a brand new driver. Not everyone has the coin to drop $500 for a new driver every year (or any year), so the 3-year old model that's $150 online is an attractive buy.

And when you're a company that is producing multiple new drivers every year, you're going to have a larger share of the used market through the trickle down effect. Meanwhile, if you're a company that only puts out one driver per year --- or heaven forbid, goes a full year without putting out anything at all --- your share of the used market will be smaller.

I'd be curious to know how many people bought their current gamers new vs. used and how that's split up between public course players and private course players. I'm sure that data probably exists somewhere but I should probably get at least some work done today ;)

I am now on my 4th TaylorMade driver (Burner --> R1 --> R15 --> M2) but I can't say I bought any of them because of marketing. In fact, I think TM's marketing is a bit hokie and gimmicky. I've remained in the TM line because I'm a used club shopper and the used market is full of TM drivers to choose from. So you could call me a loyal TM customer, but I cringe every time I see any TM marketing.

I did this 4 years ago (largely Norcal rounds) and while the driver leaned heavily towards TMAG, irons had a fair deal of variation:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1044593-who-plays-what-forget-the-darrell-survey-its-the-duffer987-survey/page__st__30#entry10610779

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I did this 4 years ago (largely Norcal rounds) and while the driver leaned heavily towards TMAG, irons had a fair deal of variation:

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry10610779

That's really neat, thanks for sharing that again. Interesting how the drivers were dominated by one company but the irons were more of a healthy mix. You can certainly see which companies have a niche (like Mizuno with irons or Taylormade with drivers) vs. companies that are more well balanced through the bag (Callaway, Titleist).

When it comes to drivers, at my club this whole year I was the only one playing Titleist, until the end of the year when one guy got a 917 before the TS release and the one guy got a new TS3. But for a long time, it was TM, Ping, and Callaway and then me with the Titleist Driver. Marketing and social marketing is important in the golf industry. However with irons, Titleist game is strong at my club, a lot of people playing the AP2's.

Do you know what else works? Aggressively stocking the shelves of local distributors with your products. Taylormade and Callaway do that better than anyone around here.

Srixon, Mizuno, Wilson definitely, you likely need to special order

I think that is far more likely to be the main cause than marketing, though marketing IS very important

Spot on

Marketing is key to OEM success, but marketing a brand is not the important part. Through marketing the OEMs have collectively convinced millions of golfers to replace perfectly good clubs with the newer generation of clubs which are usually not materially better and often not as good as the club replaced. A number of ploys are used, depending on the OEM. Every new Taylormade driver is 10 yards longer than the previous generation. More tungsten in the 718 AP2 than the 716 AP2 For Ping it's even more than elastamer, whatever the hell that is. It's because people buy into this nonsense that OEMs remain profitable. .As the bad guy in the Magnificent Seven said of the villagers, if God didn't want them sheared he wouldn't have made them sheep. It applies equally to the club buying public.

Over the roughly 50 years I've played golf I've seen a gradual evolution of equipment that has made the game easier, but it has been very gradual. With very few exceptions there has been nothing new introduced in that time that is calculated to have a material effect on the score card. Those exceptions would be the replacement of the wound ball with the modern ball, and the advent of the oversized driver. Other than that the clubs I was playing in 1980 are equal to the clubs I play today in every material sense. Nevertheless, right around this time of year the fever increases. Golfers clamoring to "upgrade their bags" until a new "upgrade" comes along. Please OEM,take my money. That is the real tribute to marketing genius.

Steve

The net result of that is good for the consumers. Sure clubs are durable. But if people bought clubs only when they wore out, there would be little incentive for companies to be the equipment business and we'd have a LOT less choice than we do right now. The number of golfers is in a slow steady decline. I'm all for money being pumped into it any way possible.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I don’t pay attention to others and care less on what’s in their bags.

I’m content with my equipment because it’s all custom fit to my swing but I am also privileged to choose the best equipment. Mind you, I took swing lessons and fitting sessions, so I know what works for me and don’t need to tinker other than with bounce and lofts on the SW and LW depending on the ground conditions.

I did fall for the distance irons thing and reverted back to a 18* to 48* lofts/2-PW retro set, just experienced that jack loft/distance iron was detriment to my game if one is focusing on precision and accuracy.

All I see in bags are Cally's and TM's. After that the percentages drop like an anvil. Have you all seen the same thing? I RARELY see Pings anymore...in the 80's and 90's it seemed like everyone played some variant of Pings. I hardly ever see Mizuno irons...even the forged CBs. And don't bother with Wilson or Cobra...at least where I play...ZIP. It's a shame because there's so many great clubs...but hey, maybe I'm missing the boat?

I don't pay attention to others and care less on what's in their bags.

I'm content with my equipment because it's all custom fit to my swing but I am also privileged to choose the best equipment. Mind you, I took swing lessons and fitting sessions, so I know what works for me and don't need to tinker other than with bounce and lofts on the SW and LW depending on the ground conditions.

I did fall for the distance irons thing and reverted back to a 18* to 48* lofts/2-PW retro set, just experienced that jack loft/distance iron was detriment to my game if one is focusing on precision and accuracy.

All I see in bags are Cally's and TM's. After that the percentages drop like an anvil. Have you all seen the same thing? I RARELY see Pings anymore...in the 80's and 90's it seemed like everyone played some variant of Pings. I hardly ever see Mizuno irons...even the forged CBs. And don't bother with Wilson or Cobra...at least where I play...ZIP. It's a shame because there's so many great clubs...but hey, maybe I'm missing the boat?

Just to level-set....this is not about "caring" about what's in OP's bags. At my club all the carts are lined up in the morning for the days rounds. It's interesting to see what other folks play. I understand if you play public course's where you'd have to "ask" or snoop.

It’s not interesting at all, if anything amusing. I’ve seen great players with illegal chippers, club hos and a horrendous reverse pivot player who shoots par.

I want to barf sometimes.

You do realize the best players to the worst players are human?

I'm content with my equipment because it's all custom fit to my swing but I am also privileged to choose the best equipment. Mind you, I took swing lessons and fitting sessions, so I know what works for me and don't need to tinker other than with bounce and lofts on the SW and LW depending on the ground conditions.

Just to level-set....this is not about "caring" about what's in OP's bags. At my club all the carts are lined up in the morning for the days rounds. It's interesting to see what other folks play. I understand if you play public course's where you'd have to "ask" or snoop.

It's not interesting at all, if anything amusing. I've seen great players with illegal chippers, club hos and a horrendous reverse pivot player who shoots par.

I don't get your point...seriously. Nobody cares what you play beyond if you post for more detail. It's no different than saying I see far more Mustang GT's than Camaros, and rarely see a Buick.

It's not interesting at all, if anything amusing. I've seen great players with illegal chippers, club hos and a horrendous reverse pivot player who shoots par.

I don't get your point...seriously. Nobody cares what you play beyond if you post for more detail. It's no different than saying I see far more Mustang GT's than Camaros, and rarely see a Buick.

What the heck are you guys talking about?

My point was dude idolizes his club players equipment.

To answer your question on what I play:

Driver = Epic SZ 9* with a Tensei White 75 Stiff flex tipped 1”, 45.5” OAL at D4 for utmost control and spin reduction before it drops off to knuckle ball territory. I could care less if some stranger has a twist face something because my driver is optimized for a dozen fairways and length.

3 wood = Epic SZ 13.5*

Two iron = Srixon U45 17*, 40.5* OAL Recoil 110 at D2.

Mizuno MP18 Blades 3-PW (21*-48*), +1/2” and 2* upright

SW = T7 56-10

LW = T7 60-14

Enables me to hit every shot and cover every yardage on the course.

I play public and private championship courses.

So WTF would I gain peaking at people’s bag?

Guess I'm strange, I never look to see what brand/model clubs others have in their bags. I kinda get annoyed just seeing others bags with Titlist, Callaway, Taylormade, etc. plastered in big letters down bags' sides. I don't like advertising for others unless I'm getting paid for it.

So you're playing with a blank bag? No brand? You made it yourself?

On topic, I never seen a Srixon clubs ever where I play, same goes with Wilson

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

Driver = Epic SZ 9* with a Tensei White 75 Stiff flex tipped 1", 45.5" OAL at D4 for utmost control and spin reduction before it drops off to knuckle ball territory. I could care less if some stranger has a twist face something because my driver is optimized for a dozen fairways and length.

3 wood = Epic SZ 13.5*

Mizuno MP18 Blades 3-PW (21*-48*), +1/2" and 2* upright

SW = T7 56-10

LW = T7 60-14

So WTF would I gain peaking at people's bag?

You win.

There are a few guys around this neck of the woods that are interested in clubs. I see a friend with an old set of Hogan Apex's out on the range. He has a Classic 1 but doesn't use it.

Mostly TM and Callaway lately for driver it seems. A lot of guys love the PING drivers, too.

I don't feel like I ever play with anyone that just went into Dicks and bought a set of M2 irons. I play with a few guys who play them but they were fit and ordered through the pro shop.

Driver = Epic SZ 9* with a Tensei White 75 Stiff flex tipped 1”, 45.5” OAL at D4 for utmost control and spin reduction before it drops off to knuckle ball territory. I could care less if some stranger has a twist face something because my driver is optimized for a dozen fairways and length.

3 wood = Epic SZ 13.5*

Mizuno MP18 Blades 3-PW (21*-48*), +1/2” and 2* upright

SW = T7 56-10

LW = T7 60-14

So WTF would I gain peaking at people’s bag?

Lighten up, Francis

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

Driver = Epic SZ 9* with a Tensei White 75 Stiff flex tipped 1", 45.5" OAL at D4 for utmost control and spin reduction before it drops off to knuckle ball territory. I could care less if some stranger has a twist face something because my driver is optimized for a dozen fairways and length.

3 wood = Epic SZ 13.5*

Mizuno MP18 Blades 3-PW (21*-48*), +1/2" and 2* upright

SW = T7 56-10

LW = T7 60-14

So WTF would I gain peaking at people's bag?

You win.

You are a better man than me... you show great restraint.