2019 Rules - YELLOW Penalty Areas

nsxguy

And that's exactly what happened. The ball landed outside (green side) of the yellow PA and rolled backwards into the yellow PA.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I was watching it live and IMO there's no way Vijay took back on the line relief. They appear to have used the point it last crossed and Vijay got relief to the side.

The referee clearly said to VJ "back-on-the-line relief". "Back" isn't defined, it can be minuscule.

I didn't hear that part but I misspoke anyway. Sorry about that. Of course it was BOL relief.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Exactly as I saw it. Given that the edge of the penalty area is the edge of the painted line on the golf course side, his reference point could be on the painted line and still be behind the point where the ball entered (touched the vertical extension of the edge of) the penalty area.

I didn't see it but does this match the concept?

Would it not be smart to just kill the yellow permanently to simplify things ... all red

You carry the hazard you get the far side

Vijay's drop would cause major problems in most of our money games as the rules now stand

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Would it not be smart to just kill the yellow permanently to simplify things ... all red

You carry the hazard you get the far side

Vijay's drop would cause major problems in most of our money games as the rules now stand

Problem with your suggestion lies in KVC and PoP. Who can say if the ball actually crossed the green side line twice? And if there is KVC it did, will there be a legal place to drop?

Forcing people to play again behind the yellow PA is much faster than making them to go on the green side to see whether they can drop there and then return as they could not.

I prefer simplicity as it is way faster.

Exactly as I saw it. Given that the edge of the penalty area is the edge of the painted line on the golf course side, his reference point could be on the painted line and still be behind the point where the ball entered (touched the vertical extension of the edge of) the penalty area.

Newby, that is what I thought that I saw watching live and what the Shotrak data (with probably inaccurate boundary markings) showed.

dave

Newby, that is what I thought that I saw watching live and what the Shotrak data (with probably inaccurate boundary markings) showed.

dave

My impression was that the line of flight and entry point were close to where the blue dotted flagline crosses the edge of the hazard nearer to the flag. One clublength to the players left of the entry point/reference point would allow a relief area that does not require the player to hit over any of the water. I believe that's why its an item for discussion here.

My impression was that the line of flight and entry point were close to where the blue dotted flagline crosses the edge of the hazard nearer to the flag. One clublength to the players left of the entry point/reference point would allow a relief area that does not require the player to hit over any of the water. I believe that's why its an item for discussion here.

The item is whether it is allowed to have the Reference Point inside the same PA where the ball is and this Vijay example seems to have nothing to do with that. A lot of noise out of nothing.

The item is whether it is allowed to have the Reference Point inside the same PA where the ball is and this Vijay example seems to have nothing to do with that. A lot of noise out of nothing.

When I was watching, it appeared that he DID use a reference point inside the same PA. I've marked up the drawing to show where I believe the ball entered the hazard, and the location of his drop.

Sawgrass, do you have this on your DVR?

Not any longer, I’m afraid. But my impression was similar to the above illustration, and that last year’s back on the line wouldnt have been much different. Nor would it be much different any time the point last crossed created a line which was just a tangent off the edge of the PA.

Last year as well as this year, one might have had to hit back over the edge of a hazard/PA instead of over the hazard/PA itself.

There are other configurations where the 2019/2018 differences are much greater.

What do you want to know? I think it's still on mine.

Was the drop on the right side of the water, as marked by davep in post #310? Or on the left as shown in Newby's post #301?

On the right would require the reference point to be inside the hazard (edit to add), which would still be OK until/unless the rule is revised.

Hope this helps. To me it was pretty clear it was a legal drop. He established his reference point a few inches behind (closer to the camera) the point where the ball crossed the hazard, and then dropped within 1 club length no closer to the hole. In 2018 he would have been able to drop along the line from the point and the flag, and thus stay on the green side of the hazard. He would have been a few yards closer to the camera, but he still wouldn't have had to carry any water, but rather skirt the yellow line.

20190303_175254.jpg

20190303_175116.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

What do you want to know? I think it's still on mine.

Was the drop on the right side of the water, as marked by davep in post #310? Or on the left as shown in Newby's post #301?

On the right would require the reference point to be inside the hazard (edit to add), which would still be OK until/unless the rule is revised.

I don't think the drawing is a very accurate representation of the situation (because the "flagline" is in the wrong place - it doesn't go through the point where the ball last crossed the edge of the penalty area). The ball did cross the yellow penalty area and roll back in, at a point that was probably just to the left (away from the hole) of the point where the yellow line was furthest onto the grass. The referee and VJ discussed back-on-the-line relief, VJ chose his reference point (whether it was in the penalty area or not doesn't matter, so long as it is on the "flagline"), measured one club-length from the reference point ( up the slope, into the general area) to determine the available relief area, and then correctly dropped the ball into the relief area. As it turned out, no part of the penalty area was then between the ball and the hole. It was all done correctly.

When I was watching, it appeared that he DID use a reference point inside the same PA. I've marked up the drawing to show where I believe the ball entered the hazard, and the location of his drop.

That image of where his “drop” was is absolutely not correct.

He dropped back on the line. His reference point, if he’d have dropped there, would have had to carry a sliver of the water hazard as dictated by the yellow hazard rule.

That image of where his “drop” was is absolutely not correct.

He dropped back on the line. His reference point, if he’d have dropped there, would have had to carry a sliver of the water hazard as dictated by the yellow hazard rule.

The yellow hazard rule doesn’t (necessarily) require carrying any water any more.

Hope this helps. To me it was pretty clear it was a legal drop. He established his reference point a few inches behind (closer to the camera) the point where the ball crossed the hazard, and then dropped within 1 club length no closer to the hole. In 2018 he would have been able to drop along the line from the point and the flag, and thus stay on the green side of the hazard. He would have been a few yards closer to the camera, but he still wouldn't have had to carry any water, but rather skirt the yellow line.

20190303_175254.jpg

20190303_175116.jpg

Perfect. IMO the second photo is pretty much all one needs to know. Not much difference between last year and this year, though VJ was able to drop a bit closer than he would have been able to drop last year, and a bit left-er.

The interesting part was that the path back looked like it was in the hazard. As I recall he marked that with a tee. The one club length got him back out of the hazard and that's where he dropped.

Was that the same in the previous rule?

The previous rule demanded that you drop back precisely on a line (if you didn't take S&D). There was no sideways latitude, which is now the cause of all the intrigue.

The interesting part was that the path back looked like it was in the hazard. As I recall he marked that with a tee. The one club length got him back out of the hazard and that's where he dropped.

Think of 2018's back-on-the line as 2019's back-in-a-lane. A two driver width lane whose centerline is the "line."

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

No, there was plenty of room back along the line in the rough leading to the cart path. If the pin had been in the back left section of the green it would have been a different story, and he'd likely would have dropped in one of the forward tee boxes.

20190305_152113.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Think of 2018's back-on-the line as 2019's back-in-a-lane. A two driver width lane whose centerline is the "line."

Dotted white line down the center of the lane? Or worse, double-yellow?

Dotted white line down the center of the lane? Or worse, double-yellow?

Of the laudable simplifications of 2019, I'm not certain this is one. ;)

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the tiger water ball at 17 today qualify for a drop on the walkway per this new loophole ? Guys on GC say yes and that he cost himself 2/3 shots for not knowing about it. Wondered if anyone noticed ?

His ball hit land on the back of the green at the beginning of the walkway ( nearest the green ) and slowly rolled. Off into the water.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Did the tiger water ball at 17 today qualify for a drop on the walkway per this new loophole ? Guys on GC say yes and that he cost himself 2/3 shots for not knowing about it. Wondered if anyone noticed ?

His ball hit land on the back of the green at the beginning of the walkway ( nearest the green ) and slowly rolled. Off into the water.

I think he could have! The ball is on the way into the water in this picture...

Do they have a local rule that requires use of drop zone or stroke and distance? Someone was suggesting they do in the Tour section. Can they make such a local rule that takes away options?

The announcers do not think they do. Brandel went and acted out the drop and then putted it up to 5 ft. Made sense to me. If so he cost himself 3 shots for sure.( accounting for erasing the 2 Nd water ball and all ).

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock