2019 USA Solheim Cup Team Predictions

I really like the Euros chances. They have two LPGA wins this year, the USA has 2.5. (USA's most recent (half) winner Cydney Clanton probably won't even be there.) And the top Euros are playing better lately. And the USA as a group is not exactly flush with confidence these days. (I was about to cite Michelle's absence as another minus for the USA but then I changed my mind, I can't imagine it having any negative effect whatsoever.)

N. Texas has it - it's not like the series hasn't been competitive, and it's 2-2 over the past four events. Personally I don't expect a US rout - there are still some solid names on the board for the Euro's. Although I will be honest, I have no idea who/where/what Catriona's pics will come from. Re the "bad play" from Hall, Hull, etc - plenty of folks lost their minds when "bad playing" PC played last time around, yet had to eat crow for miles after she was the highest point earner for the US. Some folks just get up for the SC, PC of course is one, and I suspect both Hall and Hull fall into that mold. Regardless of results coming into SC, I expect them to do well. Nordquist and Masson are typically solid. Van Dam lit up the LET quite a bit, but apparently can have putting issues I was told. Law and Boutier seem like solid pics to make.

Re the US - I'll go ahead and get it out of the way - I see PC getting picked, and I agree with it. Her play has steadily improved over the past few months, at least over the first part of the year. Several really good rounds and of course a few not so good, but overall she's been trending up for the most part. Face it, PC she is the Queen of US SC, much like Laura Davies was for the Euro's for so long. Their mere presence brings a lift to the team(s). And, she can be that "Vet" that Juli wants. I say that, because other than PC, I think several others can be left at home, and new blood brought in. Now is a good time, get them some SC experience under their belts. Yes it's over there - more crowd, more pressure, more "hostile" for lack of a better word... but hey, it ain't no Kiawah.

So, not to offend anyone, but lets leave the new Moms at home. Also, unless she qualifies, leave Kerr home as well. I think she's actually played worse as the years gone on, worse than PC even. Although like PC, she falls into that "gets up for SC" group, I'd still prefer to have PC over Kerr on the team. Then bring in some youngun's

As of the end of Evian, the Fake Major...

Lexi Thompson (SC)

Danielle Kang (SC)

Nelly Korda (SC)

Jessica Korda (SC)

Lizette Salas (SC)

Megan Khang (SC)

Marina Alex (SC)

Brittany Altomare (SC)

Angel Yin (WR)

Annie Park (WR)

Paula Creamer (Pic)

That's 11

12th gets interesting. If Juli has to have another Vet, then she could pull from Kerr/Ernst/Lewis/Piller/Stanford or even O'Toole who has one SC under her belt, or go down a bit more for Pressel. But Austin Ernst would be my preference for a vet.

Or, could go with more new blood, ie Jenifer Song, Amy Olsen, Jaye Marie Green. Probably can't go any lower than that on the list though.

If Juli pics PC AND decides not to pick another vet, I see Jaye Marie getting the nod due to close relationship with PC - although Jennifer Song would probably be the better pic.

Anyway, a few more weeks, much can change. Probably going to be lots of new blood on the team either way, which is good. To be continued.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

I want the red, white and blue but i’m picking the Euro’s. I feel like they are more steady right now and there are some good younger players who could/should make an impact. This team is very average at best for the Americans. No offense but we are talking about Austin Ernst and or Paula Creamer mattering, how often has this team factored into the weekend results at a tour stop? Outside of Lexi and Nelly.

> @mallrat said:

> She has played well but she only has 1 or 2 wins and isn’t really much of factor into deciding tournaments, IMO.

So basically she has as many wins as Nelly, including a major. Gotcha.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @78Staff said:

>

> Re the US - I'll go ahead and get it out of the way - I see PC getting picked, and I agree with it. Her play has steadily improved over the past few months, at least over the first part of the year. Several really good rounds and of course a few not so good, but overall she's been trending up for the most part. Face it, PC she is the Queen of US SC, much like Laura Davies was for the Euro's for so long. Their mere presence brings a lift to the team(s). And, she can be that "Vet" that Juli wants. I say that, because other than PC, I think several others can be left at home, and new blood brought in. Now is a good time, get them some SC experience under their belts. Yes it's over there - more crowd, more pressure, more "hostile" for lack of a better word... but hey, it ain't no Kiawah.

>

>

>

> As of the end of Evian, the Fake Major...

> Lexi Thompson (SC)

> Danielle Kang (SC)

> Nelly Korda (SC)

> Jessica Korda (SC)

> Lizette Salas (SC)

> Megan Khang (SC)

> Marina Alex (SC)

> Brittany Altomare (SC)

> Angel Yin (WR)

> Annie Park (WR)

> Paula Creamer (Pic)

> That's 11

> 12th gets interesting. If Juli has to have another Vet, then she could pull from Kerr/Ernst/Lewis/Piller/Stanford or even O'Toole who has one SC under her belt, or go down a bit more for Pressel. But Austin Ernst would be my preference for a vet.

> Or, could go with more new blood, ie Jenifer Song, Amy Olsen, Jaye Marie Green. Probably can't go any lower than that on the list though.

>

> If Juli pics PC AND decides not to pick another vet, I see Jaye Marie getting the nod due to close relationship with PC - although Jennifer Song would probably be the better pic.

>

I think you’re off base on your picks for “vets”. Of everyone you mentioned, Morgan Pressel has more top 10s (3) and top 20s (4) this year than anyone else except Kerr (also 3 and 4) and none of Kerr’s were after May. And Morgan may well get another this week. Looking at the CME points (which reflects a player’s form this year better than the Rolex ranking), Morgan’s rank is better than anyone else on your list except Stacy Lewis. As far as past Solheim Cup results, I believe she went 5-0 the last time she played 4 years ago, and I don’t think she has lost a singles match. So I say Morgan for the “veteran” on the team! Most everybody else you mention has done very little this year to warrant a pick.

>

>

> @BadgerLin said:

> I think you’re off base on your picks for “vets”. Of everyone you mentioned, Morgan Pressel has more top 10s (3) and top 20s (4) this year than anyone else except Kerr (also 3 and 4) and none of Kerr’s were after May. And Morgan may well get another this week. Looking at the CME points (which reflects a player’s form this year better than the Rolex ranking), Morgan’s rank is better than anyone else on your list except Stacy Lewis. As far as past Solheim Cup results, I believe she went 5-0 the last time she played 4 years ago, and I don’t think she has lost a singles match. So I say Morgan for the “veteran” on the team! Most everybody else you mention has done very little this year to warrant a pick.

>

>

Valid point - I'll be honest I had forgotten all about Pressel until I saw her in early coverage last week... Any of the Vet's I listed would be an "acceptable" pic by Juli, really. With so many rookies it wouldn't surprise me to see a PC/MP pic scenario either...

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @mallrat said:

> > She has played well but she only has 1 or 2 wins and isn’t really much of factor into deciding tournaments, IMO.

>

> So basically she has as many wins as Nelly, including a major. Gotcha.

>

Nelly has a higher Rolex and CME ranking. Nelly has done it in what 2 years where Danielle has done that in 7 years? I was surprised to see that Danielle had 2 top 2 finishes this year but Nelly has 20 top 10’s in under 2 years, Danielle has 30 in roughly 7 years.

Sorry I just don’t think she is the queen that most people on this board do. She is darn good at golf and one of the best American players but I honestly don’t feel that I look at the leaderboard and see her pushing for a win.

On another note...Not sure of her record but I feel like Morgan Pressel might be the most deserving of the mean girls club. She seems to be playing decent steady golf this season

EDIT... sorry Badger, saw your post right after I posted this.

Well I think MP just punched her ticket - should be an easy pic for Juli now.

So, is it MP and Paula or Kerr? Seems like the talking heads all expect Juli to pick two vets.

I'd still like to see a J. Song or JM Green pic though...

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Morgan has been hot or cold for over a month. She's had three top tens, and four missed cuts. Solid at times, but erratic otherwise.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Another reason to leave Kerr off (as a player) - she has to be the heir apparent for the next US Captain - performing as an asst. captain this year would be a good fit, and captaining next year would fit - I can't imagine Juli would do it for a 4th time...

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Oh and I saw where Suzanne Pettersen would like to play for the Euro's... and Matthew isn't ruling it out apparently...

https://golfweek.com/2019/08/07/golf-suzann-pettersen-wants-to-play-solheim-cup/

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Hmm, after the WBO it looks like Park is out and Ernst is in based on WR... Interesting article about players and experience of each team on LPGA.com...

https://www.lpga.com/news/2019-solheim-cup-the-final-push

I could be and am often wrong, but as much as I disagree with it I can see Juli sticking with the girls club and taking 2 from Kerr, Pressel, or Paula to pull more experience. I guess it's not the worst strategy... Kerr is 10th in points so it's not like she way out there.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

> @78Staff said:

> Hmm, after the WBO it looks like Park is out and Ernst is in based on WR... Interesting article about players and experience of each team on LPGA.com...

> https://www.lpga.com/news/2019-solheim-cup-the-final-push

>

> I could be and am often wrong, but as much as I disagree with it I can see Juli sticking with the girls club and taking 2 from Kerr, Pressel, or Paula to pull more experience. I guess it's not the worst strategy... Kerr is 10th in points so it's not like she way out there.

Personally, I think the experience thing is over-rated. But I also think the perception of the pick has as much to do with player popularity as anything. In the men's game, Bubba was left off even though he ranked highly on the points list. In contrast, Phil has been given many handout picks, in which case people justify it however they want (and I'm a Phil fan).

Kerr is 10th but her play is horrible of late (see Phil example). In principal, I'd probably suggest taking the two that have played the best this year and most recently if needed to break a tie. I haven't looked at all the numbers but my guess is there's also quite a logjam when looking at how the players have done in this tier. For any few week stretch, each person probably looked much better. Overall, they probably all look pretty similar.

> @Argonne69 said:

> Morgan has been hot or cold for over a month. She's had three top tens, and four missed cuts. Solid at times, but erratic otherwise.

Morgan and Paula have been very up and down and Paula's "new" technique doesn't seem to have a lasting effect. Jennifer Kupcho has just been sinking gradually down the field after a promising spell. There's nothing obvious here.

Not a prediction but my choices would be Ally McDonald and Morgan P. I was just looking at how the contenders had done in the majors and Ally has had a great year (6, 10, cut, 11, 21). Surprised her ranking isn't higher. Annie Park's numbers are better than Morgan but Juli could use another vet, especially in a road match, and Morgan was the one American who played her butt off at Killean Castle.

I also feel like the Euros have a great chance. Check out the results from the WBO and remember that this year's event is in Scotland. I don't think there is any dead wood in their lineup unless Suzanne can't shake off the rust.

I hope Annie Park can play well enough the rest of the week to qualify for the team.

I don't know all of the math but if Brittany Altomare can stay ahead of Ally McDonald for the 8th spot, it seems like Park would have a good chance to qualify via the Rolex Rankings with a good finish (Ernst is going to need a great 2nd round to make the cut).

It's not the only factor but of all the people potentially looking for a captain's pick, Annie Park is one of them (maybe the only one) that has booked a win in the last 2 seasons.

I think Ally McDonald deserves one of the captains picks.

If there was a veteran leader among the other qualifiers I'd make Kristen Gillman the second pick.

The team could use a leader and Lexi needs Christie, so she would be my second pick.

If not for the Lexi/Christie pairing, Stacy Lewis would be my second pick.

I don't think Amy Olson did enough this weekend to get in.

> @AWinfortheAges said:

> I think Ally McDonald deserves one of the captains picks.

> If there was a veteran leader among the other qualifiers I'd make Kristen Gillman the second pick.

> The team could use a leader and Lexi needs Christie, so she would be my second pick.

> If not for the Lexi/Christie pairing, Stacy Lewis would be my second pick.

> I don't think Amy Olson did enough this weekend to get in.

Amy finished T7 in a very strong field, and had a 20T in Scotland. Stacy has missed 3 cuts in her last four events, and finished 52T at the Evian. Cristie has also missed the cut in 3 of her last four events, and finished 33T at the Dow. 'Not a great run leading into the SC.

I would probably take Ally McDonald and Amy Olson. But I think the Amy Olson pick is suffering a bit from recency bias and the results this weekend. Go back a few months and she missed 5 cuts in 6 starts...

I'm going with Ally McDonald and Morgan Pressel as the actual picks. Pressel seems to be having a better year than Kerr or Lewis (Creamer has been omitted intentionally). But Pressel has also missed the cut in 6 of her last 8 starts. This is like asking which way you'd like to put under...

> @agolf1 said:

> I would probably take Ally McDonald and Amy Olson. But I think the Amy Olson pick is suffering a bit from recency bias and the results this weekend. Go back a few months and she missed 5 cuts in 6 starts...

>

> I'm going with Ally McDonald and Morgan Pressel as the actual picks. Pressel seems to be having a better year than Kerr or Lewis (Creamer has been omitted intentionally). But Pressel has also missed the cut in 6 of her last 8 starts. This is like asking which way you'd like to put under...

Hence, it makes more sense IMHO to pick Amy Olson ... she's the "hotter" player between herself, Morgan and Cristie Kerr.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @AWinfortheAges said:

> > I think Ally McDonald deserves one of the captains picks.

> > If there was a veteran leader among the other qualifiers I'd make Kristen Gillman the second pick.

> > The team could use a leader and Lexi needs Christie, so she would be my second pick.

> > If not for the Lexi/Christie pairing, Stacy Lewis would be my second pick.

> > I don't think Amy Olson did enough this weekend to get in.

>

> Amy finished T7 in a very strong field, and had a 20T in Scotland. Stacy has missed 3 cuts in her last four events, and finished 52T at the Evian. Cristie has also missed the cut in 3 of her last four events, and finished 33T at the Dow. 'Not a great run leading into the SC.

>

I agree with @agolf1 , a pick of Amy is recency bias. She sort of disappeared after "backstopgate".

Amy, Christie, Austin and Morgan are all about equal to me so anyone's pick would depend on your preferred criteria. Stacy had a baby and she finished ahead of Amy on points.

> @"North Texas" said:

> Okay, Julie this isn't rocket surgery or brain science.

>

> Reward the 2 players who came ever so close to actually making the team, Ally McDonald and Amy Olson. No one else even makes sense.

Unfortunately for Olson, she’s also still behind Ernst in the Rolex.